Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: With Chat currently offline... An alternative » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! »

The Multiverse

Is it Spam? Proper Use of OOC in the Multiverse

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by RemΓ¦us.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Multiverse”.
Where legends collide, warriors rise and titans fall. This is the general in character world, where your creations can rise to fame driven only by your imagination - this is the persistent world in which all characters exist. This whole forum is one big roleplay, with no specific rules or guidelines. If you want to create a roleplay in a single thread, this probably isn't where it needs to be.

Remember - this whole forum is one persistent world - your characters are free to move from topic to topic here with no restrictions.

Is it Spam? Proper Use of OOC in the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 am

Is it Spam?

You were just in chat and suddenly the screen 503's on you and you find yourself unable to get back into chat.

You were just kicked.

What happened and why?

The Multiverse, which happens to be the most common location for roleplayers interested in fast-paced chat realtime roleplay to go, is in fact a roleplay of its own, created and GM'd by our creator, Eric Martindale (Rem, for the uninitiated). Thus, it has its own set of rules, which specify:

Avoid using public OOC wherever possible. Any metagaming that is necessary should be directed to the specific player using /msg <username> (a chat-only command), the Multiverse's OOC forum, or via Private Message. Metagaming destroys immersion and is often considered cheating!

Unfortunately for many of us, this is quite vague, and kicks may seem arbitrary without specific guidelines. Here is a rundown on what is and is not allowed:

When do these rules apply?

These rules apply if:

• You are in the Multiverse roleplay. (i.e. If it's Gambit's Bar, the Lake, Wing City, etc., you are probably in the Multiverse.)
  • You are in the IC part of the chat. (i.e. Not the public OOC room.)

and
  • You wish to post a public OOC message.

What IS allowed?

• One "BRB", "Back', "Bye", "I'm leaving", "I'm here", "Hello everyone", or similar entrances or exits.
  • A brief question about the IC action that is relevant to everyone or multiple people present.
  • A brief explanation about the IC action that is relevant to everyone or multiple people present.
  • A brief correction of a misspelling, omission, or such. (i.e. You accidentally forgot a character's name, or spelled something wrong, or used the wrong verb/pronoun/etc.) Acceptable format is *correction or correction*. When you have multiple corrections to make, make them in a single OOC post instead of in multiple ones (i.e. " *shirt, *Meghan's, *trajectory). Also, it may not be necessary to write OOC posts correcting simple misspellings that are easy to deciper (i.e. "teh", "wat", "grl", "Mghan", etc.). If it was the wrong character's name, a foreign or complicated or world-specific word, an indecipherable misspelling, or similar things, corrections are good; however, if it's a simple misspelling, there is no real need to make the correction.

What is NOT allowed?

• Public responses to "BRB", "Back', "Bye", "I'm leaving", "I'm here", "Hello everyone", or similar entrances or exits. Whisper the person who posted it.
  • A question about the IC action that is relevant to only one person, or excessively lengthy. Whisper the relevant person instead.
  • An explanation about the IC action that is relevant to only one person, or excessively lengthy. Whisper the relevant people instead. (Copy and paste works when you have two or three people a lengthy explanation needs to go to).
  • Entering the IC with an OOC question such as "How is everyone?"
  • Asking "Is anyone open?", "Is anyone free?", "Does anyone want to RP with me?", "Which character should I come in as?" or similar questions. If you are in the Multiverse, you are already in a roleplay. Jump right into the action, or whisper another player to collaborate beforehand.
  • Posting "test", "lag", "stupid lag", etc. Whisper yourself or someone else or use a /whereis or /who command to test the chat.
  • Intentionally spamming !grammar or !newuser or 'bored' triggers.
  • Rolling dice for no reason, or more than once.
  • Writing "oops", "disregard that", "fail", "dammit", "sh*t", "f*ck", "stupid keyboard", "hit enter", etc. after an unintended or incomplete post.
  • Comments such as "lol", random emoticons such as :) ^^ >_< and the like, or unnecessary remarks (i.e. "I knew that was going to happen." or "What the hell?" or "WTF?!") Whisper the person to whom you are commenting.
  • Reminding everyone that you forgot to bold another character's name, publicly, IF you only need to tell one or two people about it, i.e. the people whose characters' names you forgot to bold. Whisper them that you posted at them.
  • Anything that is only directed towards one person, including comments directly relevant to the ongoing roleplay. Use whispers instead.
  • Anything not directly relevant to ongoing IC action (that is not specifically permitted in the above section). This includes discussions on things like movies, what everyone is doing, video games, other roleplays, discussions about one or two specific characters (take it to whispers), or anything which is generally discussed in the public OOC channel.

What happens if you break these rules?

• You will be warned or asked to stop by a moderator.
  • If you persist, you will be kicked.
  • If upon your return you persist, you will be kicked for longer.
  • If you are disrespectful to the mod who kicked you, or to other staff or other members, you will be kicked for even longer, and possibly receive an account warning.

This is a roleplaying site, and the Multiverse is a roleplay. Each roleplay has its own rules. If you have ever run a roleplay, either via forums, chat, tabletop, or LARP, you had rules and you expected the players to abide by them. The same thing applies here. Abide by the rules and nothing bad will happen! They are in place to make the Multiverse a more enjoyable place to roleplay, not socialize.

If you ever have any questions about these rules, send a Private Message to a Moderator, either via whisper in chat or via PMs on the forums.

If you ever feel you have been wrongly kicked from chat, please send a PM to one of the Global Moderator Team Leads: Pseudosyne, Parabola or Mid. Please note: Some moderators, such as Tsukihana, are also members of other staff teams, and their color in chat may be deceiving. Not being green is no excuse for disrespect to any staff member, whether they are a moderator, mentor, or designer. Thank you!

Happy Roleplaying!

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne
Last edited by RedRaine on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: The times, they are a-changin'.
β€‹β€œAnother world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

β€œThe only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

β€œevery day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: Is it Spam? Proper Use of OOC in the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Nice post Ylanne. d(^^)b
Bai Bai bby

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kriegmesser on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:07 pm

If writing "Oops" or "Hit enter" is bad, how else should we notify everyone in the chat that we rather badly messed up? Yeah, yeah I know I'm going to be called a prick for asking. I've seen some bad miss-posts that have jacked up the whole chat before.
Characters needing some kind artist to draw them:
Xenthriss C-LINK
Stahlfaust Combine C-LINK
Baron Valdis Oros Goldheart C-LINK

Kriegmesser
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:18 pm

Xenthriss, not everyone is going to know that you messed up. Best thing to do is just continue on from where it cut off on your next post. It's juts pointless to see "Crap" "Fail!" ">_>" etc after a post.

Also though,

# A brief correction of a misspelling, omission, or such. (i.e. You accidentally forgot a character's name, or spelled something wrong, or used the wrong verb/pronoun/etc.) Acceptable format is *correction or correction*.

You can make a small correction in the OOC, instead as well. Just continuing on though is more polite.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Or you could whisper the users you're roleplaying with that you accidentally hit enter before your post was done and ask for them to wait to post until you're done.

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Deception on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Akita's right. Sometimes that happens to me and I do that or accidentally make a comment in the OOC about it. Heh, rules are rules I guess and we gotta follow em. My apologies for the useless comment.

Deception
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MandyQuick on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:19 am

To Whisper someone is....as in PMing someone about it, right?

Ugh, I can never get this right.

MandyQuick
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:00 am

Whisper is a private message sent through chat.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby barney_fife on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Rules seem a little strict for my tastes. To the point where I have to openly express my grievance, and feel they should be looked at again.
Nip it in the bud.

barney_fife
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Maiden Voyager Group Theory Property Buyer Person of Interest Cult Leader Hordemaster Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Beta Tester Storyteller Greeter Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 pm

If you do not like the current MV rules, then perhaps you should make your own chat RP? Not all RPs have to follow the rules that are set by Remæus in his RP. They only have to follow the site rules.

Prose
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:19 pm

These are the rules for the Multiverse chat only, and are not applicable to any other chat-based roleplay.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Discipline on Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:11 am

Good post, Ylanne! (+10000 internets) to you.

Discipline
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Winter Tail on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:18 pm

I think you should add "OMFG STOP USING OOC" to the things you shouldn't do. It shits it up just as much and contributes absolutely nothing to the room as well as making you look like an ass. Especially when a whole bunch of people say it at once and others call them out on it and so on.
If my character doesn't make your jaw drop at least once, I'm not doing it right.

Winter Tail
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LaularuKyrumo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:00 pm

Wintertail, YES. THIS. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS. Oh my god the next person who ISN'T a mod and yells at me for OOC (yes I'm looking at you spacetime), they are getting such a pwning.

Also, I also think we should rework the rules on "fscking enter" being bad. Some of us write ridiculously long posts (at least much longer than "average"), and if we hit enter at the wrong time it might look very much like the post is completed. Then someone will write a couple lines reacting, and shit hits the fan. What do you do there? You can't whisper EVERYONE and using the OOC to say something would be spam.

LaularuKyrumo
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:37 pm

If the message is addressing everyone present, then it is not spam.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!