Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Witches of the West

Witches of the West

a part of “Witches of the West”, a fictional universe by madscirat.

In a world reminiscent of the old American West, Law is upheld by travelling witches, women of power who are marked only by the silver pentagram they wear upon their breast.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Witches of the West”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Witches of the West

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:48 pm

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "Witches of the West"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.
What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space.
-Erwin Schrodinger

The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.
-Albert Einstein

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.
- Nikola Tesla

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

madscirat
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Witches of the West

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zolzol on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:50 pm

'dont be a douche' is right there in the rules? Damn. I mean most RPs you just -assume- people cant be a douche but this one just flat out says it , awesome. XD

Anywho! Had a few questions before making up a character sheet for this.

1.I was considering making a sort of 'spirit in the west' character (A board game much like DnD) basicly the character revolves around occult magic bringing them back to life as a sort of walking spirit. So basicly magic effects them more then normal people but physical things less so. If thats not alright I will probably make some kind of inventor.

2.Did you want us to just fill out the standard character sheet? Or are you working on a skeleton? Should we include a picture and if so should we use real or drawn ones?

3.Is there some sort of specialized 'witch hunter' class? This is more so I know more about the game but are their people who are specialy trained to take down witchs?
A deus of lacuna inter philologus letalis

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

zolzol
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Firewind on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Ooh a Story with two common things about Clint Eastwood's High Plains Drifter, Supernatural themes and the Western Genre I am definitely interested in this.

Firewind
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:25 pm

@Firewind Thanks for the compliment, would love to have ya

@zolzol IKR, I just /threaded an RP I had been working on at another site bc/ of players being jerks, hence the rules

To your questions..

1) I haven't given much thought to the spiritual elements in this story. Witchcraft as I envision it is largely physical reflecting the witchs' own carnal and pragmatic views on reality. Spiritualism would be more the domain of the white preachers and native shaman. Let me think about this and perhaps add a section on spirits to the Intro.

The inventor idea is of course fine as the advent of new technology will be playing a key role in the story.

2) You can fill out your own, description, history, personality, the typical stuff. Picture is optional.

3) Certainly. The Churches employ hunters, some of whom are even warlocks who have forsaken their sisters and converted to Christianity. Some marshals and bounty hunters have also made the killing of either Shifters or witches their specialty. Lastly there are ancient supernaturals even witches do not know about who plot their annihilation from hiding.

If you want to play such an antagonist, that would be fine though I would rather you PM me your character sheet in this case so as to keep important details of such a character a surprise.

madscirat
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Note I amended the intro adding a long section on other supernaturals and spirits. Hopefully this will help, zolzol and others who want to play characters who are supernatural but not necessarily witches. I should caution however that since the main focus of the story is on the witches themselves I will only allow one or two characters with deviant supernatural backgrounds.

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Firewind on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 pm

So I just finished reading off of the supernatural list, Long amendment to the Intro btw, And I found it rather interesting at how the supernatural would try to fit in the world, I want to try and make an outlaw character or something along those lines in this story, someone who aids the witches if the eastern part of USA is hunting them down. But the thing is Idk if I should make said outlaw a guy or not which would tempt me to make a warlock out of him. Got any suggestions?

Firewind
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Firewind wrote:So I just finished reading off of the supernatural list, Long amendment to the Intro btw, And I found it rather interesting at how the supernatural would try to fit in the world, I want to try and make an outlaw character or something along those lines in this story, someone who aids the witches if the eastern part of USA is hunting them down. But the thing is Idk if I should make said outlaw a guy or not which would tempt me to make a warlock out of him. Got any suggestions?

Yeah it did get long didn't it. Really just a mistake on my part for leaving all that stuff out since the supernatural plays a key role. Anyway, the witches do have allies both male and female. Not all Warlocks are evil and most men who have the blood are never taught witchcraft and yet still may be supportive of their cause (their mother was a witch after all). Among the nonblooded population you have many settlers who owe their lives to the witches and among the farmers and ranchers they would find a great deal of support. It will mainly be those who haven't had to deal with the lawlessness of the west who hate the witches and of course those driven to hatred by religious reasons. Outlaws are of course fine, witches even though their lives are defined by law and justice are essentially outlaws because they enforce an unwritten law.

I hope this helps. I don't want to get specific with suggestions because its really player prerogitive what you would enjoy playing, and i don't know you :-P

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Firewind on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Fair enough on that regards. I like Westerns, I've never seen an interesting Western Roleplay before so practically you made me interested. This will be an interesting character once I get it all done and ready.

Firewind
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Woot! Got our first character. I will start when I get four though I will run the game with as little as three and as many as nine.

Oh and one note on witch or warlock characters. Magic can get a bit.....zany in RP. To reduce the silliness remember that each witch or warlock has a finite number of spells at her disposal and that in general spells require ritual. A witch can't just fire off two lightning bolts, a flaming cat, and a quantum singularity from her pistol without preparation. Bullets must each be enchanted prior to being fired and limits restrict how dramatic a spell's effects can be (aka no quasar conjuring). Best to place the spells and rituals in your CS, but if you have trouble figuring them out or would rather come up with them on the hoof this is acceptable (just remember to make a note of them so you remember). Also be forewarned that if you keep pumping out new spells eventually I will wag my GM finger and say enough is enough. Some examples of spells below. The first two will almost certainly appear in game.

Wax Bullet- A bullet that stuns rather than kills on impact.
*Ritual-Bullet is placed in the center of a sacred circle and purified with a sprinkling of salt

Primal Call- A bolt of electricity arcs from the athame to the target. Afterward the witch will be drained of her energy and unable to channel until recovered.
*Ritual-None, the witch simply channels her magical power through the dagger to its target.

Searing Spell- A bullet that burns to a molten state on impact. Used to star fires, puncture metal armor or destroy machines.
*Ritual- Bullet is surrounded with a circle of animal fat or flammable tree sap. The oil is ignited while the witch chants softly facing south.

Seeking Silver- A bullet that once fired seeks its specified target, even dodging obstructions in the process. It will seek its target until it reaches an impenetrable wall or runs out of momentum.
*Ritual- Either a cherished possession or hair from the intended target is burned and its smoke is allowed to waft over the bullet

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby zolzol on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:37 am

I submitted my spirit character. If he's no good I can always remake a character sheet for the inventor idea I had. *shrug* Playing as a spirit around humans who rely on ritual and spiritualism would be fun but playing as a man of science among those people would be just as interesting.

Also as a side note , I will be shooting flaming cats EVERYWHERE. No matter what kind of character I make , I will find a excuse for them to carry around a bag of cats and some kind of cat igniting cannon.

zolzol
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:28 am

zolzol wrote:Also as a side note , I will be shooting flaming cats EVERYWHERE. No matter what kind of character I make , I will find a excuse for them to carry around a bag of cats and some kind of cat igniting cannon.

Meet your arch nemesis...............DOG SLINGER

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViviOrunitiaFF9 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:35 pm

these are the spells I've added for my character...hope they aren't too unorthodox. The Terror Whip spell is unique to Jonathan's whip and family so no-one else can have that one but feel free to copy the rest, but not them all. I need a few for myself. The last two aren't actually spells, just common knowledge. If madscirat thinks that there are too many or that I shold alter them I will but if that doesn't happen then I hope I've helped a little.

Some where already created by madscirat but the rest is all mine, except the ones where I've used references from other TV shows, movies, books etc.

P.S. madscirat, I hope you don't mind but during the course of this roleplay I'm hoping to let Jonathan learn a few more from other witches and to teach the witches of this roleplay a few spells. maybe even a few that he cannot use but knows the basics of hw to use them...that made sense to me...

GUNS

Wax Bullet - A bullet that stuns rather than kills on impact.
*Ritual - Bullet is placed in the center of a sacred circle and purified with a sprinkling of salt

Subtle Blast - When the bullet is fired, it releases as blast of wind which will knock back your enemy. The wind is unheard and unseen, hence the 'Subtle' part.
*Ritual - The bullet is placed in a bowl containing a rosemary and thyme infusion. it is dried and can be used within about half a year.

Searing Spell - A bullet that burns to a molten state on impact. Used to start fires, puncture metal armor or destroy machines.
*Ritual- Bullet is surrounded with a circle of animal fat or flammable tree sap. The oil is ignited while the witch chants softly facing south.

Seeking Silver - A bullet that once fired seeks its specified target, even dodging obstructions in the process. It will seek its target until it reaches an impenetrable wall or runs out of momentum.
*Ritual- Either a cherished possession or hair from the intended target is burned and its smoke is allowed to waft over the bullet

ATHAME

Primal Call - A bolt of electricity arcs from the athame to the target. Afterward the witch will be drained of her energy and unable to channel until recovered.
*Ritual - None, the witch simply channels her magical power through the dagger to its target.

Venom Blade - The blade becomes coated in a poison which is incurable. This will drain the caster considerable as it is a powerful spell.
*Ritual - Put the athame in the centre of a circle of copperhead fangs (snake) whih equal to a number within the thirteen times table. The more teeth, the stronger the spell but the more it drains the caster. Throw the venom of the copperhead over the athame while chanting "Hac nocte et hac hora, serpens me mysticam virtutem praestare." three times.

Karma/Curse - Inflicts bad karma on the target
*Ritual - Scribe these words onto the athame: "Aeterna Karma" the strength of this spell depends on the strength of the witch at that period of time.

Anarchy - Causes the target to stop caring about authority's hold on them. you must be careful with this spell as it tends to backfire. *Temporary*
*Ritual - Sheer will power channelled through the blade which is why the spell is unreliable.

WHIP

Terror Whip - When struck by this spell, the receiver's worst fear is brought forward and they will hallucinate about their fear. 8Temporary and easily curable*
*Ritual - This is personal to Jonathan's weapon. Not even he knows how it was cast onto the whip but the whip has been passed down through the generations and all of the Darkholme witches could use the terror whip spell.
*Cure - A kiss

MISCELLANEOUS

Magpie Trap - The trapped warlock, vampire et. cannot leave circle of silver dust or other silver objects as long as they are all touching to make a perfect linking circle.
*Ritual - Not actually magic, just exploiting the enemy's weakness. Also works in reverse where the warlock etc. cannot get in.

Soul Holder - The spirit is trapped within a circle of rock salt, ground, or salt crystals.
*Ritual - Again, not actually magic, just exploiting weaknesses. Also works in reverse where the spirit cannot get in

ViviOrunitiaFF9
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:13 pm

@Vivi Nice job with the spells. I really like the detail on the rituals and that you didn't make them all as easy as, "Alakazaam." This would be about the maximum number of spells I would allow with the exception of elder witches and warlocks. Younger characters should have fewer spells and apprentices two or three at most.

Oh and to your question, learning new spells over the course of the game is fine and something I would actually encourage. Just know that this will take time and needs to be referenced in several posts.

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:08 pm

We have one character in progress. Once she is finished and approved I will make the first post setting the scene. In order to give you time to think about how to write your character into it, I will tell you in advance that it will be a town in Indian territory similar to Deadwood. Being outside of federal juristiction it still relies very much on the Wyck to keep the peace. If you are not familiar with Deadwood imagine a dense concentration of thieves, cut throats, entrepeneurs, miners and drunks in a town with a saloon for every five men and a brothel for every three. These places are havens for outlaws and, ironically, for supernaturals as well.

I also need to add a section on the Chinese and the Mormons into the intro since they both play a formative role in the western story. I will do this today.

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:25 pm

There we go. Finished the additional section which is really needed. Both the Mormons and the Chinese are two of the hero figures of the west IMO. The Mormons for their progressive views regarding Indians which were in general far ahead of their time and the Chinese for their massive and dangerous building projects which linked both sides of the continent. I'll paste the additional section here for those who want to read (oh and Dragon-folk is my addition, I believe the common western term for the Chinese was not nearly so benign...)

Minorities

Apart from Natives and Blacks, the other nonwhite race most commonly encountered in the West will be the Chinese, or Dragon-folk as they are sometimes called. This name is derived from the commonly known legend that they come from an empire ruled by dragons. Few can confirm or deny such stories because the Chinese are an extremely closed off group. They view Americans as unclean barbarians and Americans view them as strange and effeminate. As a result the two cultures rarely mix even when they work side by side. Due to the work ethic and skills of the Dragon-Folk, they have become the nearly universal employees of the railroad, replacing, much to their shame, the Irish workmen.

Among the whites there also exists a minority, set apart not by skin color but religion. The Mormons moved west to escape the prejudice they encountered in the east. Unfortunately it seems to follow them wherever they go. Mormons set themselves apart from other Christians by the embracing of an additional book of the Bible which tells of a strange history predating European colonization. They also (during this time period) follow a polygamous lifestyle with prominent men of the community often taking several wives. Whether you ascribe to their teachings or not, one thing is undeniable. The Mormons unlike other whites are far more tolerant and open in their treatment of native peoples, due, perhaps in part, to these peoples' role in their scriptures.

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:16 pm

So I'm wanting to create a character, but I was wondering if there was anything specific you wanted to see in the profile, such as spells my character knows, ect.?
"I solemnly swear I am up to no good" - Fred and George Weasley

Fredalice
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Fredalice wrote:So I'm wanting to create a character, but I was wondering if there was anything specific you wanted to see in the profile, such as spells my character knows, ect.?

I prefer spells to be listed but since this can be tedious and some players prefer spontaneity I will also allow them to be introduced during the game. However, once you use a spell it needs to go on your character sheet and stay there. Apart from this standard info like descriptions, history and personality are all I require.

Oh and if you're going to introduce your spells in the game please understand how magic works in the game. Having a post where your character has lightning bolts shooting out of his fingers would just be........irritating.

@all I added one more (hopefully the last) section to the intro which I hope will greatly clarify how magic works in the game and also explain why witches adopted the use of firearms in the first place. Please everyone read this.

Spells

Most trained witches know between seven and thirteen spells. Cast by extreme concentration and visualization methods, spells are patterns of magical energy. Since such patterns easily disintegrate in the world at large silver must be used to shelter them until their full effects bloom into being. Largely speaking there are two classes of spells, channels and enchantments. Enchantments are the more common and constitute all bullet-based witch craft. In these spells the pattern of magic is static until the media is disturbed, this usually being the point at which the bullet strikes its target (spells can be triggered before this by hard impacts of the metallic slug so witches must be careful when storing their enchanted rounds). Most such enchantments have a 'shelf life' of little more than a month. At this point the magic begins to fade until the spell is rendered useless. Channeled spells are a much more ancient magic in which the pattern of energy of the spell is not static but flowing. Such spells use older conduits like daggers and wands. Although magic cast in this way can be very powerful, it has four major disadvantages. One, the magic can not extend beyond the implement so it is limited by its range. Two, the witch must maintain contact with the implement or the channel is broken. Three, the steady flow of magic is draining to the witch and she soon tires when casting it and four since channels are cast without preparation they are necessarily simpler than enchantments. Needless to say modern witches tend to focus on enchantment and use channeling mainly when involved in close up fighting.

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 pm

So I just submitted, if I got something wrong or out of place tell me and I'll fix it, in other words don't shoot me it was an accident.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:04 pm

@New Players As stated above and elsewhere. Witches in this world CAN NOT cast magic without a silver focus. Other elements of a ritual may aid in visualization but silver is PHYSICALLY necessary. This is a fundamental part of the story that I will not flex on. It keeps characters and their magic from being to powerful. Without it this story ceases to be a western and just becomes high fantasy. After all if a witch can just point her finger and curse people why would she need a gun?

@Vivi I actually failed to note that one of your spells also ignored the silver restriction (the last one in the list under misc.). This is my mistake but please fix when you get a chance.

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby madscirat on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Three characters are now approved. So I may have the first post up by tonight. If I do please give all players a chance to get their first post in b4 going crazy.

Also may be helpful to youtube some snippets of Deadwood. In particular this snippet because it is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdJ4TQ3TnNo

Very good show. I will be drawing heavily on this setting to create the starting town, called Stillriver.

madscirat
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!