Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Rise of the Tari

The Rise of the Tari - Discussion, Announcements and Collab

a part of “The Rise of the Tari”, a fictional universe by Nevan.

In the world of Ammisar, the Tari people have ascended from hunter-gatherer tribes to the founders of civilization... Led by King Vaylen, they began to build the city of white stone; Tarin. However, 15 years later, Vaylen is killed in the night...

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Rise of the Tari”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Rise of the Tari - Discussion, Announcements and Collab

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 pm

For general discussion, announcements and collaboration!

Link to the interest check. If you need it for any reason.

All the OOC topics are going to be up shortly, bear with me! :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Re: The Rise of the Tari - Discussion, Announcements and Col

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:50 pm

The last of the OOC topics is up. I know there's a lot that could be elaborated on, but that can come later or in character. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby frazzguy on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Is it alright if I make my character an adviser to the King?

frazzguy
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

May I create a character who is a smith, whether it be bronze or sword?
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby crazygumbomb on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Will this roleplay feature action? And if so, what kind of weaponary are we dealing with?

crazygumbomb
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:23 am

Sorry for the late reply, it was late when I put this up an I went to bed. Anyway, time to answer your questions.

You may indeed frazzguy; in fact, I just accepted him. :)

You may indeed VindicatedPurpose. Just remember that we're dealing with bronze weaponry as of now. :)

There will be action, crazygumbomb. As the RP progresses, more and more conflict will come into play and it will likely lead to violence, perhaps all out war. As for weaponry, we're at the bronze age of technology; so bows, bronze-tipped arrows, bronze swords, bronze-tipped spears, bronze shields, bronze axes and perhaps even a little bronze armour.

Nevan
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby frazzguy on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:55 am

Awesome, can't wait to get started.

frazzguy
Member for 12 years

Submitted my character. :D

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm excited to be roleplaying again, and this looks like it will be a good one :) .

I made a slight adjustment to my character as requested (see if you can guess what the problem was :) ), and I suppose my PM-reply about that will arrive as soon as I write enough forum posts (oops!).

Is there some kind of schedule saying when we start, or how many players are wanted or something like that? I don't mean to be impatient, just curious.
I can keep myself sane because I’ve got my candy gun!

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

As far as I can tell right now (might change, but hopefully it won't), we're just waiting on Saken and nowfaleena to make their characters. After that, I will go ahead and do a first post. :)

Nevan
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jay2012js on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:34 pm

I want a char with magic but cant pm yet. I am not sure sure if what i'm looking at would be catagorized as magic or as blessing from a god. I have the idea of a secret cult to nish, that uses blood magic. But like they dont have the magic themselfs its granted by nish for their devotion. It would require rituals and shamanistic practices, not a simple wave of your hand and poof. Let me know if your liking this idea, and if so we can develop it more. So want a a char in this cult haha

jay2012js
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

By the way, I've got a question.

What's the general weather of the Cradle, and what can we expect?

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm

jay2012js:

The shamanism and ritual practises is an interesting idea, but there are several complications with some of the details you provided. First of all, magic is generally not dormant in the Tarian/Human species, it must be given to them by the Gods as a gift. Secondly, Nish as a deity isn't entirely my own creation, nowfaleena was the mind behind him and she doesn't associate Nish with "blood magic"; this makes sense, as Nish's associated element was already chosen and as a general rule of thumb, a deity only has one associated with him. Thirdly, blood magic is, by general definition, dangerous, powerful and antagonistic. While (as I said before) the idea of rituals being needed to perform it is an interesting concept over flat-out manipulation, it could be potentially game breaking for a cult (who probably don't have good intentions) to have such power so early. :x

On the plus side, the idea of a cult and ritualistic practices is pretty cool. Maybe we can come to some sort of compromise?

VindicatedPurpose:

The weather of The Cradle is generally rather warm. As a Savanna-inspired grassland, not enough rain falls to support biomes such as significant woodlands, however, there will be the occasional shower and storm, more so in the wet season (generally around summer-time). I wouldn't expect your character to wake up one morning and find himself barricaded in his home by a 10-foot wall of snow, however. XD

Nevan
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby frazzguy on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Just FYI, I adjusted my character's age to fit with the crowd more closely.

frazzguy
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:35 pm

jay2012js wrote:I want a char with magic but cant pm yet. I am not sure sure if what i'm looking at would be catagorized as magic or as blessing from a god. I have the idea of a secret cult to nish, that uses blood magic. But like they dont have the magic themselfs its granted by nish for their devotion. It would require rituals and shamanistic practices, not a simple wave of your hand and poof. Let me know if your liking this idea, and if so we can develop it more. So want a a char in this cult haha

Since you're new to roleplaying, I would recommend to stay away from playing magic and/or gods until you have observed a few others doing that. It's really easy to godmode by accident with those. For example, I once played a guy hallucinating that he was talking with a god. Someone else also "saw" the god, I didn't think about that so didn't warn the other player OOC with something like "no, that's a hallucination, not happening for real", and soon I had two thirds of the other players telling me to please get lost because I was godmodeing and refusing to change it.

Also, you may find that playing a powerful character (not even one with god-granted powers) can get old really quick, because you have to be careful not to limit the options of other players too much all the time. To avoid that problem you need to add weaknesses to balance out the strengths (and I see you may have given at least some thought to that, if a blessing is less powerful than direct magic in some sense), those weaknesses need to make sense and be understood by other players... Difficult.

Anyway, this is just some advice from someone who spent a lot of time playing a dozen deeply religious characters, you can of course do whatever you like that the GM lets you do :) . I just want you to have fun.

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Nevan wrote:I wouldn't expect your character to wake up one morning and find himself barricaded in his home by a 10-foot wall of snow, however. XD

I take the Scrolls of Frostbite from the Sunless Caves to summon Y'Eti, the Winter Goddess, and sacrifice a mountain goat! I kindly ask Her for a snowstorm of Epic Size!

(sorry, silly mood, will stop now)

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm

'tis fine, Frazz. :P

And cucumber, I have to admit that made me chuckle. <3

Nevan
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cucumbersome on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:07 pm

I'm glad it did.

Small but significant update to my character: she survived on her own in the wild for a year, so obviously she has to have some kind of ranged weapon, to avoid being eaten by something (food also has to be considered, but I guess "small tools" can be used to create traps to catch small animals). I don't think owning a sling should lead to "oh my god she's much too powerful" type problems, right? :)

cucumbersome
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:14 pm

Definitely not. Slings are extremely useful. :P

Nevan
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby frazzguy on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:29 pm

Oh no not a sling! Those are way too overpowered!

frazzguy
Member for 12 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!