Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Gods: New Genesis

Explanation of the Rules

a part of “The Gods: New Genesis”, a fictional universe by almostinsane.

In ancient days, the primordial gods withdrew from the world to allow humanity to decide their own fate. However, in the modern age, humanity finally manages to destroy itself. Now, new civilizations rise under their gods and the guidance of their Avatars

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Gods: New Genesis”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Explanation of the Rules

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby almostinsane on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Brief Explanation & Rules:

As you’ve just read, your character will be both that of a God, mortals (leaders, generals, etc.), and if your imagination goes further, then it will get even wilder!
There are a few things we will expect from those who’ll submit characters:

.1) We expect literacy.
…a) We like quality more than we like quantity. We expect that you can make, at least, a few characters who’ll be your protagonists and will be responsible for everything that goes on within your border.
……i) We will NOT expect you to write responses with every single one. That’ll be tedious and too time consuming. Write a response with the appropriate character(s).

.2) We expect some originality.
…a) Not everyone can make characters at the spot, but don’t come with fan-fic characters and canon-characters because you love manga or want sparkling vampires. Mate…I’ll be encouraged to never give you another chance to enter the RP.

…b) Each nation/God will be unique in his/hers own way. Some will have endless soldiers who’re expendable, others have small elites, and a third God might have the most advanced technology ever.
It’s all fine, but remember…You are not undefeatable. Even with the best weapon, you can’t stop elite soldiers from outflanking you.
Even with elite soldiers, you can’t hope to stand a chance 1’500 VS 100’000

.3) Limited Realism.
…a) Mate, you can have an army of Pegasus riding knights, that’s cool, but don’t start thinking that you will have an endless supply of such. It’s okay to remain vague about how big your army is (number-wise), but if you loose, be prepared to write of how a devastating blow it was for your people, monarch, etc.
……i) So, in short, you’re allowed to break the borders of reality, but don’t think look at it as a loop-hole for God-moding

.4) While it is possible that romance will occur, if you want to take it further than eye-contact, you can start PMing each other.

.5) Maturity
…a) Most of us here are Young Adults (I hope so, at least), so I don’t think I need to teach you about respect and language off IC.
I will be honest and say, “I cope badly with defeat, even in an RP”. It’s true, I admit, it but I always go down in style (one way or the other). So, when you write your large gory battles, be mature and Read & Evaluate what happens before you strike back. There will be a section below for those who aren’t clear for how to do that.

.6) Minor God-Mode Allowed.
…a) we all know what it is like to God-Mode, and we all agree that such actions are frowned upon, however Minor God-Mode is where God-Moding is limited and won’t be dealing killing blows or destroy whole armies in a single blow.

.7) Respect the setting.
…a) While it will be interesting to see how you might want to combine magic and technology together, we want to avoid too much steampunk-ish weaponry.

…b) The word “Fuck” might have been invented in the middle ages, but don’t starting using excessively modern cursing. An example for how not to curse would be, “Hey! Fuckhead! Imma kick your ass so badly, your God won’t recognize you!”
An example for good cursing would be, “You little pig-brained twat! I’ll see you hanged!”
……i) If in doubt, speak out.

…b) It is allowed to the extend that, one player can kill a few dozen NPCs (ONLY!) providing that it is two larger armies that are clashing.
Additionally, if two players agree, one player’s character may deal minor wounds, such as broken noses, bruises, cuts, etc.
……i) This is meant for the sole purpose of making the post more interesting, and getting to the chase quicker than waiting 6 hours for finding out whether or not your punch managed to his the enemy’s stomach.

.8) For more questions/information, contact either the GM or one of the Co-GMs at the front page. If their information comes into conflict with another Co-GM (or the GM), kindle tell them who told you so, so it can be argued through between the Co-GMs (and/or GM)

Read & Evaluate:

It’s easy to fight small-scale battles, such as duels and 3 vs 3. However, what will you start doing the moment it is 50 vs 50? 4’680 vs 10’000? A siege with hundreds of thousands of soldiers?
This is meant to be a guide as for how you could start a post in response to a grander battle, however in the end, you should stick to what you feel most comfortable with.

To effectively handle such situations, I’ll explain something that I use when playing strategy RP games with my friends. It’s called, “Attack(ed), React, Respond.”
Basically, you read the response of your opponent and your first paragraph/topic of your post is about when you were attacking/attacked. Describe the carnage, the screams, the destruction, anything that is relevant to the situation; you may even go as far as describing how soldiers are rushed off to the nearest healer or how a man is killed to ease his pains.

Next topic is the response. How’s the soldiers’ morale? Are they angry? Will they fight back? Do they flee or make a last stand? I know that everyone wants strong, brave soldiers in their army, but what would YOU do in the same situation?
I’d leg it if I saw armored horses charging my way, that’s for sure, but don’t apply yourself for the majority of your army.
Also, this is where your leaders start to bark orders. “Turn the canons!” “Archers, fire!” etc. This is when you get to hit back, and force your soldiers to react as you want them to. In many cases React and Respond can be merges together in this part.

Respond is when you describe how you think the effectiveness of your counter-attack is going to be. This is completely subjective, the enemy may completely tward your attempt, or it may be REALLY effective and turn the tide. This is where the Maturity Rule kicks in, if a group of peasants charges knights, the knights will first be baffled by the peasants’ bravery, but in the end, they’ll be massacred by the knights.

Below is an example as for how a large scale battle can be fought:

Round One

Player A
The lines of soldiers lined up. The canons were in place, the knights were getting their lances by their squire and it was a matter of time before the battle would start. Canons, knights, even wizards had had been set aside for the general to use against the orcs, a rare thing for the Sultan to decree.
Alas, the men of the Bazylonian Kingdom had tolerated the Orcish plague long enough, it was time to make a stand against the beasts and show them that the Sons of Bazylonian were not to be underestimated.

“Here they come!” a Spotter called and pointed towards the hill. The orcs came as a swarm, their numbers seemed endless as they covered the hill and came running down the hill.
Silently, the general gave a small prayer that the orcs had been lured this way so easily, for now the orcs would have to run down the hill and then up the hill the Bazylonian Army occupied.
“Fire the canons!” the general ordered as the orcs came to the foot of the hill. They would be too far to turn and run now, hopefully the orcs wouldn’t know that until it was too late.

Player B
“Forward I said!” the chieftain barked as an orc turned, trying to run away from the ungodly sound of the canons. The orcs took the hits by the canons, blood, dirt and limps shot into the air as the canon balls wreaked mayhem throughout the masses of the orcs.

The chieftain hadn’t come this far to run with their tails behind their legs; their numbers gave them both strength and courage, and they wouldn’t be slowed down because of some fancy weapon that the humans had.
The orcs closed the distance between the two, loosing momentum as they made their way up the hill, though their sheer eagerness to fight the humans was beyond being reckless. No matter how many times the canons fired at them, the orcs didn’t turn and run, their fear for their chieftain and their savage instincts told them to run forward, and that they did

A wordless scream roared from the front orcs as they used their final reserves to charge the lines of orcs.

Round Two

Player A
“Brace your-” the soldier didn’t manage to finish his warning before the orcs were pressing them. This close, the orcs proved to be more dangerous than ever, the fight intensified as orcs and humans exchanged blows.
Each human had been specifically ordered to drag at least five orcs with him to his grave, an oath that many seemed to hold true to.
Cries of pain and agony rang in the air as the two foes fought, neither willing to give up or yield as much as an inch of land, and neither able to break the immediate deadlock.

“Hold the line!” the general barked as he had ordered the signal for the knights to ride around the fight and charge the orcs at the left flank, using the hill’s slope to gain momentum.
The wizards had been ordered to prepare their magic and now they stepped forward, muttering the arcane words needed and summoned the energies needed.

Out from the skies shot red lightening, as it struck the earth, it exploded. Flames burned corpses, shockwaves sending orcs flying through the air. The morale of the orcs could be seen to wave as they watched their own being destroyed so easily.
The general stepped forward, sword in his hand as he bellowed a challenge for the orcs, “Come, you beasts! Come and taste my wrath!” he dared.

Player B
The chieftain had to roared loud to regain control of the orcs. Their animalistic fear getting the better of them, and it wasn’t becoming any better. The human knights smashed into their left side, their horses killing dozens of orcs and the riders killed even more.

The chieftain made a desperate gamble. He ordered his personal bodyguards to carve his way towards the human leader; the two would duel for the victory of this battle, the winner would hold victory of the battle while the loser would surely be routed.

His bodyguards made their through the human lines, using their heavy weight to force the humans back. The chieftain now stood in front of each other, both grinning, ready to make the final decision for whom would win this battle…

Key Points

Right, so although the above example is far from the best example of how long such a battle can be or how chaotic when you have such battles. However there are a few things I do want to point out:

Round 1
.1) There was a fairness between the two players, Player A never said that the canon balls hit the orcs, so player B was kind enough to take the hits and move on.

.2) Player B went ahead and closed the distance between the two armies, going ahead and stating that the orcs were hit more than once as they advanced.
…i) in such a case, it would allow Player A to add more attacks as Player B advanced

Round 2
.3) Player A used Minor God-Mode with his wizards. Although he did hit the orcs and killed loads, he stuck to NPCs. Remember, this is allowed under the circumstances that there are many NPCs to take the place of the killed, it won’t be acceptable for battles were NPCs are scarce.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

almostinsane
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!