Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Shadowhunter Chronicles: City of Snow

Runes

a part of “The Shadowhunter Chronicles: City of Snow”, a fictional universe by Vexilous.

In 2013, a new group of Shadowhunters based in Toronto are tasked with getting to the bottom of a series of increasingly strange demon attacks. What they find will rock the Clave to its very foundations, and start an all new war for the survival of man.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Shadowhunter Chronicles: City of Snow”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Runes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexilous on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 pm

This is a list of many of the runes mentioned throughout the Shadowhunter Chronicles. This is not a complete list of runes but many are mentioned throughout the series.

Acid: Burns away any surface like acid touched it.

Alliance: allows Nephilim and Downworlders to share each other's abilites, such as the Shadowhunters' fighting skills and a werewolf's strength. It was created by Clary for the Battle of Brocelind Plain against Valentine's army of demons in City of Glass. It's shaped like a simple, yet complex tie of knot.

Agility: Equips the wearer with agility to move deftly and with effortless grace.
Angelic: frequently applied to weapons to imbue them with angelic properties as well as wipe them clean of any demonic traces.

Binding: Creates a ring of fire-like handcuffs around someone's wrists and is used on criminals to bind their hands. Other binding runes can prevent one's legs from supporting their weight.

Clairvoyant Sight: Gives those who wear it extrasensory perception, allowing them to see what is not visible; in the Shadowhunters' case, to see past glamours.

Courage: Provides those who wear it with bravery above and beyond that of a typical demon killer.

Deflect/Block: Fends off incoming blows.

Destruction: Looks like an unfinished Opening Rune, created by Clary in City of Lost Souls and used to destroy Sebastian's apartment.

Dexteritas: Gives the Shadowhunter agility.

Enkeli: a Rune of Angelic Power. They are placed on weapons Shadowhunters use to give them angelic power. This washes away all demonic power from the object and prevents demons stabbed by the weapons from healing.

Fearless: Makes the user afraid of nothing and was created by Clary. It was used on both Alec and Jace in City of Ashes.

Fire: Used to create fire.

Fortitude: Provides a warrior with unshakable resolve, will, and inner strength.

Fortis: Gives the Shadowhunter strength.
Insight/Foresight: Supports mental acuity and helps understand and interpret a situation or human being deeply. This would make it easier to understand a threat and coming up with a best way to fight the threat.

Iratze (Heal Painless): The healing rune, often partially drawn by Shadowhunters before going to battle to allow them to quickly finish it and heal themselves. It enables healing without causing the injured person harm or distress. It has been noted that the healing effects are stronger when it is drawn on the injured Shadowhunter by their parabatai.

The Mark of Cain: If someone tries to harm the person who bears the Mark of Cain, they will be harmed by a power seven times stronger than the one used to harm the bearer of the Mark of Cain. Clary used it in order to prevent Raphael from killing Simon in the City of Glass. It is important to note that The Mark of Cain is not only a Shadowhunder's rune, which is why Simon did not instantly die when he recieved the mark.

Mendelin: the mendelin rune grants invisibility. It casts a glamour over the wearer and allows them to hide from mundanes and, in some cases, demons.

Mnemosyne: The memory rune, granting the Shadowhunter perfect photographic memory.

Necromancy: A rune, when placed on a deceased Shadowunter, brings them back to life. It is not permanent and will fade over time, but it allows them to talk for a short time. However, their soul had been forcefully pulled back to the world of the living. That combined with any pain their injuries would have caused them would cause them immense pain and would make it nearly impossible to speak. When the rune is destroyed, they die once again. Clary creates this rune in City of Fallen Angels, though it goes horribly wrong. Luke uses a green acid to destroy the rune on the man's body.

Night-Vision: Allows the Shadowhunter to see in the dark.

Open: a simple rune Clary uses to open various things throughout the series.

Parabatai: A rune that partners two Shadowhunters together, so they can draw on each other's strength.

Permanant Loyalty: Valentine mentioned that there was a rune that bound Nephilim to the person who marked them.

Precision: A modified "X marks the spot," this symbol instills in its user extremely refined aim, typically of a weapon.

Rune of Quietude: This rune is used by the Silent Brothers to silence themselves and placed on the back of the neck. Valentine places this rune upon Clary in City of Glass, silencing her while he summons Raziel.

Sangliers: it is used to transfer blood when the body needs it, but is extremely dangerous. (also known as Blood Transfer Runes)

Soundless: Allows a Shadowhunter to move about silently and avoid detection.

Speed: Enables the wearer to move very quickly in any environment or condition.

Strength: Increases physical strength of a Shadowhunter.

Thermis: Keeps the Shadowhunter warm.

Tracking Runes: Allows someone to track a person's whereabouts and, in some cases, see what the person is seeing, if one has a possession of the person being tracked. Often used by the Clave to track down criminals. Isabelle uses it to track Jace in City of Glass.

Voyance: A "permanent" rune given to a Shadowhunter at a young age on the back of the hand to aid in steadiness. However, it fades if Nephilim drink Lilith's blood from the Infernal Cup as shown in City of Lost Souls.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexilous
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Runes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby marredserenity on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Is there a limit to how many runes each Shadowhunter can have? Further, once a rune is used, does that mean that no other can use it?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

marredserenity
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexilous on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:41 pm

The number of runes applicable is only limited by space on the body on which they can be drawn, but they do fade away after a short time, usually a few hours. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the second question but the runes are not unique and they can be used by any Shadowhunter skilled enough to draw them, barring the runes the Shadowhunters receive at birth, which can only be drawn by silent brothers, and the Mark of Cain.

Vexilous
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Iezobel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:23 am

I'm making a character right now. I love the books and I can't wait until the movie comes out. I've seen the trailer and I think Clary screams in the middle of pandemonium when Jace kills the demon. Because no one else sees it they all turn to look at her and it looks so awkward.

... That was just a random statement.
Follow me down the path
I will walk beside you
Guiding and showing you the way
I will not leave you
I will be standing on the path watching you
If you ever feel alone
Close your eyes
You will see 6 sets of foot prints
2 belonging to you, 4 to me
Then you will know that I have not left you

For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf...
And the strength of the Wolf is the Pack

Iezobel
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Norien de Iridius on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 pm

I haven't read the books, I've wanted to but haven't gotten to yet. However, I really like the premise behind this RP. I don't suppose I could still make a character? If not, guess I'll just have to brush up and then come back.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Norien de Iridius
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Iezobel on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:11 pm

K she's up. I can't wait to start. I've wanted a shadowhunter roleplay for a while.

Iezobel
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!