Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Gilded Cage - Slaves in need

The Gilded Cage - Slaves in need

a part of “The Gilded Cage - Slaves in need”, a fictional universe by Oborosen.

The land of Amesha has been changing for many years and the arrival of new faith has changed it for the better. Save for the house of Raven Home, wherein a strong tradition still holds true after all these generations.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Gilded Cage - Slaves in need”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: The Gilded Cage - Slaves in need

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 am

It has already been stated that he hasn't really changed, just that he could not really rely on his elemental powers for the time being.

That being the case, it shouldn't be hard for a "half elemental" to start relying on the other half for once and actually do something proactive. Seeing as he still has his eyes, ears, mouth and I presume vocal cords. Having him actually learning to use them for once might be a growing experience.

It's rather obvious that he isn't a vegetable, even though the event has left him weakened. To be honest, he wasn't in the best of shape to begin with and I do have plans on having him get actual help.

If you want to continue playing him in this near catatonic manner, then by all means go ahead.

A very original and rich character will just lay there and waste away. I'll shift everything I had meant for him off to one of the other characters and poor Agnus will have been created for nothing.

Is that what you want, or are you willing to actually be a part of this Rp. Rather then an observer?

The choice is yours.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Ah, the ultimatum, a laymen's favorite.

You state "Half Elemental" in quotes but there's little sarcasm to the state of his existence. His very being is entwined with the sound that the band has quelled. Despite my explanations it seems you still fail to grasp the core concepts at work here.

I've explained why using his senses, even with the meat organs he's allotted, is severely hampered without sound to complement them.

As he is he can still stumble about. In time he'll learn to see. His hearing is a lost cause without sound. His voice does not exist without sound regardless of whether he's with or without cords. While his physicality hasn't been changed what made him him has been locked away.

In the end Babble will react to things in the manner I believe he would. I do not dictate the world, only his actions. Whether or not you understand my rationale for what he's doing or why won't change his behavior. As for your issue regarding his participation I've tried on a number of occasions to try and have him interact with the fellow PC's but each instance was only met with the world further sequestering him further and further from everyone. Heck, his last interaction with an NPC is what resulted in his current state.

It is of some concern that what you have planned for him thus far has been created in a vacuum of comprehension. The instances you've seized control of him demonstrate a distinct lack of understanding regarding his functions or how he interprets the world. Then again, such is the nature of running characters that aren't of your own design.

While calling Babble a rich and original character is certainly flattering I produce such characters as a hobby. His loss will hardly stymie my creative endeavors as I have a number of separate venues to entertain. I remain to play Babble because is my personal ethic to never abandon an rp. Until you no longer care to have me apart of this project I shall run Babble until something reaches it's terminus, be it my participation or his life.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:29 am

While you can call it a laymen's favorite. I have no worries about how misplaced your opinion is.

What I do have worries about however, is a character that is shown to not only really give a damn about his own surroundings, or wellbeing for a majority of the time he has been a part of the story. All this time Babble has either interjected himself into conversations with which he has no say and then shut himself off from dialogue immediately after. He doesn't listen to what has been declared to him and has basically ignored individuals that have spoken directly to his face.

I am more then able to accept that I may be misinterpreting Babble's character, yes. However I am also able to see that you are not completely capable of running him in a stable manner. Either resulting to use him as a blunt object. Hammering away at your own topic that barely pertains to the situation, or letting him sit in the scene. While the rest of the story flows around him like a rock at the bottom of a stream.

I've had to hijack him on these occasions because its obvious he lacks the ability to shown actual interest in the situation and without my actions. I am pretty sure that he would still be sitting on the pier on the lower levels. Especially if his actions up to this point are to be taken into account.

I took more than a little risk with letting Babble be a part of the Rp. Though given your history with the site and the last few times we have interacted. I believed that you could do the character justice in overcoming his limitations and actually evolving into a part of the combined story. I had hopes that Babble could actually become associated with the other characters with only minimal help.

Instead, he has been almost nothing. Even showing apathy would be a nominal improvement and while I do appreciate you staying around as long as you have. Your inability to actually do anything meaningful with Babble has been disconcerting to my hopes with his placement in the Rp.

Can you not understand the source of my concern here?

Babble has been almost nothing his entire time in the Rp. Even the term window-dressing would be an improvement, however slight it may be. If he is to have a place in the story, it is asked that an attempt actually be made to make him part of it.

Can you agree to this?
Because I am more than willing to continue with you onboard despite all of this.
You have been in the Rp since almost its beginning and I would honestly consider it a poor choice to just drop Babble for such a minor reason alone.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:31 am

You say you accept that you may be misinterpreting his character and then proceed to tell me what he'd do had you not taken control of him. How strange.

Had he been left on the docks he would of struck up conversations aplenty or sung songs for the lonesome beasts kept therein. Had Chlorra not seized him he would of played childish games with one of the other PC's. Had she not stopped him from examining the clockwork maid he would of composed a song about gears. Had Chlorra not sealed him shut he would of tried to learn Kenner's sound.

Every time Babble takes an interest in basically anything he's either been quashed or taken out of my hands. It's hard for me to involve him in matters when it's visibly demonstrated I have no agency over my character. It's impossible to upgrade him from window dressing when my only real choice is to babble incoherently until Chlorra visits another awful fate upon him.

Even if I really wanted to, if I suddenly decided to try and engage others with him and try to pry into business and make him apart of things beyond his own insanity, at this point in the story I'm quite frankly unable to make anything interesting out of him given his state.

He's gone from a unique being, broken yet still hopeful, to a pathetic psychopath with little more than the bones he sailed in with to his name. To be denied the very thing which defined him, a character who's whole entire existence is rendered pointless in absence of it, I think death would be a preferable fate to what's in store for him now. Perhaps less preferable to him than to me given where his soul's bound for but that is beside the point.

To be frank if he can't return to a state which allows him to interact with the world through sound, even in a limited degree, We should just let him die. It'll let him keep a shred of dignity. I could always bring in another character to take his place if you really want.

I mean no animosity by all this. I hope you can understand my frustration when my character is taken out of my hands repeatedly only to be told I'm not doing enough to involve him in the story.

In the end I'll accept whatever verdict you deem fit. I'll play him until his run is through and perhaps onward as his replacement if needed. For as long as my involvement is wanted I shall remain and contribute as such.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 am

Sorry for the delay this is busy season for breweries and I am swamped at events until Monday. Go ahead Bluewind, don't wait on me.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:18 pm

@SkullsandSlippers
No problem, we've all had to deal with delays before and this should be no different. We'll be here when you are ready to post.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:31 pm

@Zalgo
Frustrations aside, I can see that we are both having issues here.

How about I propose we both at least acquiesce to an agreement this I, firstly. Will not impose more upon Babble's character then the flow of the story deems necessary and if such an event happens. It will be made as clear in post as possible to alleviate confusion.

Secondly, Babble should not shut himself off from the other characters, or at least do so without letting his reasons, or their interpretation of what he is doing being known. I admit that performing the art of "cold reading" through text alone is somewhat difficult, to say the least.

Because I would rather have you stay with us and indulge in the story, then kicking you from the Rp for what is arguably a rather small problem that we all deal with. The time you have invested in the site alone is reason enough to validate this offer.
I can start everything back up with a fresh post for Babble, if you would like?

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:06 am

If I'm correct your request is that Babble should try and engage the npc's more? And to phrase his motivations more plainly for ease of understanding correct?

I can definitely attempt to make Babble more lively and interactive though you will need to keep in mind what restrictions have been placed upon him as I will still take those into consideration. Within the reach of his ability I shall attempt to "Re-Animate" him in a sense to make him more sociable though he still might struggle with coherency given he's still a mentally shattered physically disabled sound half-elemental. His actions may be framed in a plainer light but his mindset is by no means simple.

If you wish to post for Babble that is fine. I can also post for him if you'd prefer. I accept your conditions nonetheless if my understanding of them is correct.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:25 am

I may just have to ask you for a post Zalgo. I am going to busy with work for the weekend and a few days after. Problems have come up for me and my coworkers, which is going to tie us up for the time being.
He's just asleep, so him waking up should be just fine.

I'll be back on for Wednesday, Maybe sooner if this mess can get cleared up.

Enjoy your weekend everybody.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:55 am

I'm going to be back home on Monday night everyone. Just making sure to let you all know before the weekend comes into full swing.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:31 am

Letting everyone know that I have some more issues to deal with for the time being. Holidays usually turn out to be bad in my line of work and this 4th didn't fail to deliver.

I have my response post set up to be put in, barring a few edits at least.

They will be put up on Monday, so everyone should just work at enjoying their weekend before coming back to the RP.

I'll be hanging around for a bit longer to deal with a few things before getting back to work.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:34 am

Alright! Been waiting to reply till Oborosen got a response up. :) I will get my post up as soon as I can.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Here's a post of nobody's everybody's favorite deaf mute cripple! Not as long as my usual fare but there's only so much someone with no voice and the physical strength of a canary can do when pinned to a bed.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 am

@Zalgo
Apologies with that, I am merely trying to steer things back and that will be fixed. So you are not going to have to worry about that for long.

Also, I am having issues with accessing the site. I keep either getting the bad gateway message or the connection error. I have recently managed to log on with my phone, though I can still tell something is wrong. Currently waiting on a reply from one of the admins, so I will check back in on that.

Just take the usual weekend break and I will see you all back again. If I can managed to keep the connection solid with my tablet, I will post a response for Babble.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:47 am

Alright everyone, I'm back. Turns out I had a pretty nasty virus and it progressed to an even worse degree from after I logged off last time. So I made sure to update all my virus guards and had to do a massive wipe, followed by a restore.

Going to work on post now and my nephew is probably never going to get on this computer ever again.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 am

It must be my monitor at work, because pink doesn't have any issue with my home computer.

Anyone else think I should change it out for another color?

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BlueWind_22 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:13 pm

Have no fear! BlueWind is still here.... I'm just finding it hard to wait for Alexander/selakir post....
The price of being a sheep is boredom.
The price of being a wolf is Loneliness.
Choose one or the other with great care.

-Hugh Macleod

BlueWind_22
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:11 am

Tomorrow, promise. I am out of town and got really busy before I left wrapping up some stuff for work.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BlueWind_22 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:42 pm

You know I have a feeling this waiting period is familiar....?

I don't mind it seeing as I know life is life, but I'll be here. Waiting for another post and since waiting while doing nothing is not my thing. I've been thinking of creating a RP with a fellow friend. Its feline based and If anyone here is interested, throw a PM my way.

BlueWind_22
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:12 am

Holy crap it let me log in!!! I have been trying to get on and getting errors and issues forever it feels like. Post incoming while I am logged in. Not risking it.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!