Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Training Hall-Arena OOC, Advice, Opponents and Camaraderie.

a topic in Battle Arena, a part of the RPG forum.

A bloody repository for combat. Get your adrenaline fix here: start a fight, find a sparring partner, train, or just spend your time studying older matches. Don't forget to record the results of your fights in the Hall of Records!

Re: Training Hall-Arena OOC, Advice, Opponents and Camaraderie.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey Victim130, I think you need to reread what you wrote to keep everything the same in the character history. I reviewed your two characters and I noticed a glaring error:

Demi: Cat Form:
Name: Demi
Weight: 60 lbs
Height: 1'
Eye Color: Brown
Race: Cat
Fur Color: Multi/Mostly White
Alignment: Good
Favorite Food: Sweets

Demi: Demi is evil and unpredictable. She is nice towards those on her good side, but once you cross her she will ruin you. When human she acts slutty.

Alignment in role-playing games usually refers to the moral and ethical perspective of the character, based on a number of factors from societal to racial. Usually if you say their alignment is good they aren't evil as those two alignments are diametrically opposed.

Other than that I am curious as how they will work together in a duel. Good luck.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby victim130 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:25 am

Oh lol I didn't mean it that way. I should put seems evil. The cat in real life while alive was nice at times but then all the sudden because she wanted to just attack people she knew like myself and my uncle.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

victim130
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Alright guys, getting some advice from you here.

So, I have made many many characters in the past, some god like powerful, some weak as hell. Some in a cliche aspect of a genre, some in a very creative aspect. But first, is there going to be another GT Tournament?

Lamentations
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:55 am

That is a question only Eric can answer. If there is to be another Grand Tourney or some other inclusive event I am sure he will get the word out as well as the requirements to all those interested.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jace on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:50 pm

While I was reading some back logs, I think I saw that there was one last summer, which means there will be one next summer, I suppose?

Jace
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Yup! From what I know, GT is every two years, and takes about six months or so. As far as I'm aware, it's the only tourney that ends somewhat properly u_u.

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Not true. Every summer, the board I got my start on now hosts a free-for-all tournament. The way it works is this:

In the world, there are 8 elements of magic, and each is headed by an Elemental Lord, whom the common folk worship as gods. What the player does is make a character, chooses a Lord to follow (from Fire, Water, Wind, Ice, Earth, Energy, Light and Darkness) and themes their powers around what is available in the game the forum is based off of (in this case, Adventure Quest, though I shall not post the link for fear of advertising: I suppose one could Google it, though).

Providing your character isn't too powerful in the eyes of the judges, you are approved for combat, and sent into one of a number of preliminary arenas in a period known as the "Dropoffs." This period is held because there tends to be 30+ competitors every year, and throwing them all into the same ring would be utter chaos. (I know because they did that once... >_<) After the Dropoffs are ended, the Director plays the Lords and chooses the 8 finalists, one for each element. They then meet in the final round, with several Weakest Link-type eliminations made until, in the end, one is chosen as the Champion.

The point I think I'm trying to make is that instead of allowing people to take as long as they want in finishing a fight, there should be time limits to how long rounds last in a tournament to ensure that the whole thing keeps running smoothly. For this, however, you'd need to go about securing a panel of judges beforehand.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:38 pm

True enough there are some that complete. But even here on RPG when we have participants who want to fight in a tourney and register in the HoR to gain rank, as we attempted to do earlier this year, they don't finish. The reasons are varied, one of the hosts/judges left the site for a few weeks then returned having changed his user name. Then the contestants stopped posting after a week or so and only two fights completed both by judges rule.

Tournaments require a lot of effort by the hosts and judges, but more importantly they require the participants to commit to it themselves. They have to block off time every few days to write in the tournament and be willing to accept a loss. Those two elements are the hardest to obtain because they seemingly go hand in hand.

Thus resulting in a huge display of unsportsmanlike conduct and incessant whining. The idea behind tournaments is to test your limits, to face a challenge and see how well you stack up against competition. Sadly most people whom enter will quit after a week or so because it becomes hard. People are eager to get in there and show off their character and their awesome fighting "Style" then they run into someone who writes better and has a better grasp of what is going on, quickly realizing that they are outclassed, they slowly stop posting or become meta-gamer/god-modder to gain a victory. Or they realize that perhaps they aren't as good as they believe and would rather just give up than lose.

Until people are willing to accept their losses and learn from them, tournaments will constantly be plagued by a frenzy of entrants only to wither and die with a default winner, usually the only person who is left.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

Fortunately the last GT League didn't end that way, and ended with two contestants that fought and had a winner. Hell even the one that lost (Circ) accepted the loss, and the tournament hence ended. Which brings me to a point of mines that I believe in.

It is easy to play a strong character, or a character that has over 500 skills that can blow shit up, or a unoriginal overpowered bleach character that can destroy cities. However when you take the time and effort to craft a character that isn't as strong as the others, then that only presses you to write more skillfully and fighting more tactically to win.

See I learned a few things over the past few days that led to the creation (and still editing) new character, Kizyora Kaisurugi. Unlike half of the characters I saw in the GT League, he has weaknesses, flaws, and he also has fears. That's only going to make things more interesting when I fight with him, and going to push me to fight better with him and roleplay him effectively throughout the tournament.

Notice a said roleplay, rather than battle with him. That is because I won't just be doing what I think should be done, but what my character would do. So if that means that there is coming to a moment, where my character dashes at me and puts a dagger to my neck after some startling images he just showed me by some mental rape, Kizyora isn't the type to just take his blade and cut the bitches head off. He'll probably take off running the other way to try his best to live. What I am trying to say is, when you make a character, give them flaws and weaknesses that others can work towards. Makes a battle more interesting, rather than making the typical stuck up master swordsman who wants to be the best, and is as fast as lightning, and can cut a fucking stadium in half.

On that note, I agree with Skallagrim. People aren't going to start accepting that they have lost until they learn that it isn't just about winning. Not only that, but you, and your character are supposed to learn from that loss and reinforce, so that you don't lose again. You are absolutely going to lose a fight, no matter how hard you try not to. If you are a frequent fighter it can only be expected, and to come at one point or another.

I just hope that the folks that decided to quit and do what Skallagrim said in a negative way don't enter the GT League. If they do I will have to probably shove my foot up th- give them a nice pat on the back and tell them to leave =D.

Lamentations
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:57 am

Fortunately the last GT League didn't end that way, and ended with two contestants that fought and had a winner. Hell even the one that lost (Circ) accepted the loss, and the tournament hence ended. Which brings me to a point of mines that I believe in.

Actually, you might want to re-read their final match, because they never actually fought against each other. What really happened was this: Guts, Circ, and myself didn't like the way Remaeus was running the tournament, so we decided to throw our our own little spin no things, because frankly, none of us had been having much fun due to the aforementioned reasons. I won't into much detail as to what exactly was pissing us off, but this is what really happened.

Circ and Guts hired me to play a monster that would pose a threat to both fighters, forcing them to put the match aside and fight off a much greater threat. I actually hinted at it happening in my last post in the GT Lobby. The only reason Circ has a loss on his record against Guts is because he willfully allowed his character to die at the hands of The Plasmolysist (the character I made up right off the bat for the match).

I actually kind of hinted that we were going to do that in this post when I revived my character Alucroas, who had lost to Asimov in the third round.

So, no, trust me when I say the GT2008 wasn't as good as it seems, and the next one might not be all that great, due to the large number of people Remaeus pissed off during that tournament.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Thank you Alucroas for clarifying that for us. Can you or anyone involved give us some idea of what could have made that tourney better for the participants? Is there any single issue that stands out that soured your experience? What could the host and the staff done to make it run smoother?

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arrogance on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Skallagrim wrote:Thank you Alucroas for clarifying that for us. Can you or anyone involved give us some idea of what could have made that tourney better for the participants? Is there any single issue that stands out that soured your experience? What could the host and the staff done to make it run smoother?

I could name a few. Despite his protest and objection, I am 99.9% sure that Remaeus took this tournament mostly upon himself. I'm not going to throw out any other names of people who made judgments and such, but i'm pretty sure that a large majority of all the organization was done by Eric. That, in and of itself, is tedious work, especially for someone like Eric whom has so many other priorities regarding the site and otherwise.

I would suggest that we gather three like-minded non-combatant orchestrators for any future grand tournaments.

Another thing which is soiling the experience is all those "writing awards" that were promised in the beginning, none have come to fruitation. The last word of the Grand Tournament we had heard was Remaeus saying "things are busy, I should have a final word up within the next two weeks or so" (this spring, I think that was? I can't even remember.) After that, everyone simply assumed that, since Circ willfully sacrificed his character (that and since he validated the final match on the Hall of Records) that he lost the fight be default. This is just another prime example of too much being put on the shoulders of one person.

I still could probably say that the GT2008 was an improvement over 2006, but that's really only in it's own personal way. GT2006 had double the contestants (i think), a large panel of judges, and even its own speed fighting division. GT2008 had a much more professional air to it (for Christ's sake it had a montage with everyone's character drawn into it, that was badass, btw), it was pretty structured and kept things pretty much level-fielded by somewhat strict criteria for a profile to be accepted, and a live action board that updated whenever someone won their match.

I suppose, though, every tournament has its flaws, and when you compare the Grand Tournament with many of the other ones here it comes off as much more prestigeous (and it actually finishes, most of the time).

A man chooses, a slave obeys. - Andrew Ryan

Arrogance
Member for 17 years

Oh yea, that is what I get for skimming over it the first time. At first I was wondering "What the hell is Alucroas doing in there? He must be spectating" and now I find out he was the main enemy of the two contestants. Thanks for the clarifications.

Remaeus piss off people? I know he is famous for doing things in a way other people don't like. When I came on RPG during the GT League, and saw it was moving super slow, I saw him giving excuses such as he was busy. I have to agree with Arrogance when he says that the best way to handle that is by getting more than one person to run the whole thing. Rather than just Remaeus running the entire fiasco, he needs 3 others that help as well, so we don't have to worry about Eric disappearing.

Alooooot of contestants from all over entered, and didn't SSJ3 Mewtwo win a few of these?

Lamentations
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:13 pm

SSJ3Mewtwo threw a shitfit after losing to Guts, and threatened Remaeus saying that if he didn't grant him the win, he'd resign from the Hall of Records as a moderator and a judge.

Surely enough, he did just that.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby victim130 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:03 pm

Sounds like Remaeus doesn't like taking suggestions from other people. If he is pissing others off shouldn't he try and fix that? I myself have never talked to him and I find him pretty nice from his posts around the site. I did not read the last tourny though so I'm only just now hearing about all of it from you guys.

victim130
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Thanks for the informational commentary, guys, but we're not here to dwell in the past. Rather, we want to look towards the future.

I agree with the sentiment about a panel of judges, especially with a tourney as prestigious as the GT. The auto-updating tree was downright badass, indeed, and especially considering the size of the field (if Arrogance is to be believed, GT2006 had a field about as big as the one used for March Madness), it's surprising that the idea has lasted as long as it has.

If I don't make it into GT2010 (and unless I get some more wins under my belt vs. quality opposition, I'm starting to think it's a possibility), I'd love to serve in the capacity of a judge, if for no other reason than to help smooth out the rough waters that are seemingly the natural result of gathering so many talented people and pitting them against each other.

On a final note, I notice that only on the bigger sites (AL, RPG, the infamous HoR, and probably many others) do people struggle with the reality of the best fighters having the biggest egos. Is this a problem that can be fixed? If you think so, what's your plan?

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Quite so Qb, we are not here to disparage anyone, however like all things, if we do not learn from the mistakes from the past we are doomed to repeat them.

I, myself, would love to run a clean, well staffed and relatively smooth tourney that is satisfying to 75-90% of those participating than leave a bitter taste and anger as so many tourney's do. I have a feeling that Eric does as well and clearly if there is a way to help resolve the past issues or at least minimize them, the next GT could be something truly memorable.

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:14 pm

I think we should have preliminary matches, just as a way to warm up before the actual fights go down. Also, the settings were HORRIBLY bland, and very unimaginative, which made the tournament very unexciting to participate in. It was only until Circ stepped in and volunteered to throw a spin on the arenas that it actually even SOMEWHAT fun.

Fighting, on a flat, 30x30 marble arena is probably the dullest, lamest, way to have a memorable match. In other words, the lack of creativity was definitely something that the tournament very unenjoyable.

Alucroas
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arrogance on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:16 am

Eric did the setting to the final arena, which was pretty cool.

Arrogance
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:56 pm

So the actual setting where a duel takes place helps create an atmosphere to role-play in. That is a great point, and one I can understand.

Also preliminary matches to warm up. Do these matches have a reason for being, such as seating for the tournament? Similar to the way some conferences have their championship prior to the NCAA basketball tourney?

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!