Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby morriganxchan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:57 pm

/sigh/ I have had those books recommended to me by four different people... I have to stress how absurd that is for me. I don't see any of my friends from high school anymore because I moved about 8 hours away, and my friends down here are all guys that want to sit around and do nothing but play video games all day. So, FOUR people... that's ridiculous. You can bet your bum it wasn't one of my new friends. So why the heck are people telling me to read this?!?!

I think it's obvious I haven't really gotten around to it yet. I've been spending my time with good ol' Bob Salvatore and Drizzt! You can't go wrong with Drizzt. (Though I will admit it's a little cliche in the 'I'm the only good drow in existence sort of way). Okay... that was a bit of a rant. Sorry for all of you who have no clue what I'm talking about. My point is simple. I will read the books, I will most likely hate the books, I hate all books with whiny teenage girls. And if a whiny teenage girl ends up getting a vamp to fall for her... that's just pathetic on his part. And reading this thread makes me want to punch those four people in the neck... Glitter? /sigh/ What is the world coming to?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

morriganxchan
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Don't read Twilight after reading something of Salvatore's, at least not immediately. You'll go through Decent Storytelling Withdrawl Syndrome (DSWS,) a horrible mental condition whose symptoms include getting bored and losing faith in the goodness of humanity. :lol:

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby morriganxchan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:11 pm

LMAO! I'll keep that in mind! Bob is rather awesome, and I do have quite a few books to read, I doubt I'll get around to reading the Twilight series any time soon. Especially after reading this... Like I said, people need to get punched in the throat, it's for their own good.

morriganxchan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:13 pm

I've never heard of Bob Salvatore. What are his books about?
We'd be so less fragile
If we're made from metal
And our hearts from iron
And our minds from steel.
But if we built an armor
For our tender bodies
Could we love each other?
Would we start to feel?

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:18 pm

AH! I've had that so many times! I'm currently suffering from it with the new Artemis Fowl book.As much as I love Artmis Fowl and Eion Colfner I cannot condone the awfulness of the new one.However the Diary of Pelly D is a good book not that cliche either.
Molly: Screw you Cookie
Jimmy: Sorry Mols that's my job ^.^

WhispersofMe
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:19 pm

LALAshesang wrote:I've never heard of Bob Salvatore. What are his books about?

They're based on the "Dungeons & Dragons" campaign setting of Faerûn, and about a expatriotic Dark Elf named Drizzt Dro'Urden (I hope I spelled all that right. D&D names are crazy.) It gets a bit cheezey at times (Drizzt has been known to fight using one scimitar in each hand), but generally speaking they are some nice and trippy ass-kick sagas.

I never read any of Artemis Fowl. How is it?

Village Alchemist
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:21 pm

*dies*

you've never read any of the Forgotten Realms books? The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy or Legacy of the Drow to name a few of the series he's written.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Nope. To be quite honest, I'm not really that into Fantasy. I prefer stories that are more based in reality. My favorite genre is historical fiction.

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Artemis Fowl is brilliant.Except for the new one, 'The time Paradox.' It's weird and confusing and totally different to normal.Basically Artemis is a 13 year old crimnal mastermind who finds out about fairies living under the earths crust but they aren't the sugerplum,prissy fairies like everyone thinks off.They have guns and are all high tech it's cool.I particularly like the evil pixie but the new one just hurts my head and I've lost my faith in it already.

WhispersofMe
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby morriganxchan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:58 pm

Village Alchemist wrote:(I hope I spelled all that right. D&D names are crazy.)

LOL!!! You spelled it all right. D&D names are rather ridiculous though... Geez... His full name... that isn't even a name it's a series of letters. Drizzt Daermon N'a'shezbaernon... WTF...

morriganxchan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:23 pm

I never quite got what to do with names that have a bajillion apostrophes. I normally make nicknames for them.

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby morriganxchan on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:29 pm

LOL! A lot of drow names have a bajillion apostrophes. The drow language is very strange... perhaps that's why they have a sign language, they don't even know how to pronounce half their words...

morriganxchan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:37 pm

LALAshesang wrote:I've never heard of Bob Salvatore. What are his books about?

Salvadore was a severe disappointment. I saw the drow and thought "eh was pretty cool," but Salvador himself employs some of the most basic writing styles I've seen in Fantasy. Unless you're not picky about the structure and level of description in your novels, I don't much suggest that author.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks. I wasn't really planning on reading them, anyway. I barely have time to read all the stuff I HAVE to read, (AP is a trial, for sure) let alone stuff I don't actually want to read. (I dunno if that made any sense at all.)

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:58 pm

Totally makes sense, mang.

For serious. If something, say, contained a certain mystical luminescence reminiscent of something otherworldly and entirely mesmerizing to look upon, how would you describe it? Would you say it has a "magical glow" and leave it at that? Salvadore does. e_e Of course it was one of the first books in the series and I was so disenchanted that I stopped reading like 5 chapters in, so maybe it's not a very good consensus on my part.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:12 pm

Yeah, I can see how that might turn you off. And I do like details. I dunno what you like to read, but have you ever heard of Diana Gabaldon? I'm basically in love with her. She writes the best details, ever. (Again, I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but that's just the way it is.) And she doesn't go overboard like a lot of authors do, because that is something that really ticks me off, also.

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Thorgaar the Bloody on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Uhh... I haven't even read the books, I just listen to the fangirls at my school rant about the 'awesome' parts of the books, and then my friend and I point out how much of a dumbass series it was to them... for example, the half-vampire child should want to kill her parents, not cuddle them. It is a Dhompeir, after all... last time I checked, 'Vampire Hunter' usually didn't mean you hunt down how to unzip their pants...

But yeah. I hate the hype, I hate the sparkle, and my paycheck is hating the amount of money I'm being forced to pay to restock on 12-gauge shells. *Goes to read The Arabian Nights again.*
Evil has a beauty all of its own.

There is no such thing as good or evil. There is only beauty, and those too blind to let it live.

Thorgaar the Bloody
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Very good rant, my man! I've even got my High School English teacher recommending this book to me!

Kronos
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Now that is just awful.

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:50 pm

Again, it's a romantic teen series. The more awkward and unusually sexual tidbits, the better. I don't AGREE, but that's how vampire stuff goes.

It's unsettling to me because when I was in grade school I wasn't searching for romance novels. Also, I didn't want to read about people my own age because people my own age hadn't experienced enough to make them interesting/intuitive. It's twice as upsetting because adults are writing books geared toward romantically obsessed kids. Whaaaaat. Please, grown-ups. Write something that encourages growth and epiphany and mental stimulus.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with some fun, easy reading. Not everything needs to make us philosophers.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!