Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Wow, that actually sounds way cooler than the conventional legends! xD

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Xeynar
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheDeceiverGod on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:14 am

Personally I can't stand even the thought of Twilight and it's lot. I greatly wonder when the ideal of a vampire or other creature of the night became so romantic. People are starting to say that the act of drinking another's blood is something sexual in nature. Where did that come from? I mean I can get the sneaking into another's house in the dead of night to pay them a midnight visit part, cause that totally sounds like a rapist waiting to happen, but drinking the blood of another has always been, at least to me, an act of narcissism. You're literally stealing the life of another person in order to continue your own. How does that turn into oodles of teenybopper fangirls screaming about how you glitter in the sun.

If you read Bram Stoker's Dracula, than you get a much better impression of Vampires if you ask me. And he wasn't even the original, almost every culture has some sort of beast that drank the blood of people to survive, most notably predominate among these are the various cultures which could've encountered leaches, which if ask me, should get the credit for the whole vampire myth much more than the bats. The bats fly in and bite to get a little puddle to sip at, a leach latches on and drinks until its almost ten times its original size, now if that doesn't give you the impression of stealing life for yourself I don't know what would.

But what truly infuriates me is the lack of Fear and Nobility in vampires, and almost any ancient creature appearing in popular media these days. It's always that those who hold to the old codes of honor and loyalty are the villains and are brought down by the forbidden love of the new generation. To my knowledge no one ever said Vampires weren't allowed to get horizontal with humans, in fact I seem to recall Dracula being rather fond of that particular activity himself, of course I think he'd eat his mate once he got bored with them but that's just practical, why chase down a snack when you've got one laying next to you?

And all these new vampires never seem to hold true to any of the old themes, they dress like Victorian Nobles but I've yet to see one displayed in popular media that I could actually believe was raised on Victorian ideals.

And as another thing, none of these Vampires every seem to convey any deteriorated sense of time. If you've been alive for X amount of hundreds of years, you're sense of urgency in matters is going to be a little blunted, and odds are you're going to be rather narcissistic even if that's not the basis of your immortality, after all you're the only one you can be sure is going to be around for the next hundred years or so.

All these vampires seem to be portrayed as living for someone or something, where's the vampire that's just living to live. Where's the vampire that's NOT tired of immortality, I mean from where I'm sitting they've got a pretty sweet set up, snack on a guy every few weeks, stay out of direct sunlight, avoid silver and religious articles, maybe take naps in a nice padded box that smells like your homeland and in exchange get pumped up senses and immortality. Now I'm probably not the most altruistic guy you'll ever meet but to me that sounds like a pretty nice deal, I could get used to a life like that, especially an eternal one. An eternity to do whatever it is you feel like doing? Always being able to tell what's going on around you, knowing you don't have to conform to the people around you, knowing that you're actually superior to them and that the only thing stopping you from doing whatever it is you please is the risk to your personal health that action might entail? Where do I sign up? I'll even throw in a few hundred years of servitude to whoever turns me as a bonus, after all immortal, got nothing but time.

Sure I could see it getting boring, but why would you ever Want for human contact, I'm human now and I don't like them that much. We're rude cruel crude and more often than not violent without just cause. If it gets that boring just start your own family of vampires, at least that way you can be sure that some of them will last through the ages.

But all this, Falling in love with a human and not wishing to curse them with the burden of vampirism. It doesn't even make sense half the time.

Oh I fell in love with you because I'm lonely from being alone for hundred of years. But these forty other vampires I've been sort of friends with for the past hundred years want to eat you.
How were you lonely if you had an entire culture of your species to deal with?!

And then Twilight has all the little Fan Girl Flourishes, they sparkle?! I mean come on, I can get that there's no logical reason why a vampire would burn in sunlight, but there's even Less reason why they would sparkle! If you're going to do anything just make it so they tan worse than an albino red head, and say they stay out of the sun for that reason.

And don't even get me started on Wolves. The whole feud between Vampires and Wolves? Dracula could turn himself INTO an ACTUAL wolf, why in the world would his species have Anything against a species of mutual night dwellers who have absolutely no vested interest in the Vampire food source.

I mean come on if anything the two should love each other, Vamp drinks a dude Wolf gets to eat whatever body part he happens to be interested in. Some myths say heart some say brain some say they just eat you flat out.

I'm not an unreasonable fellow really I'm not, I can stand a little blatant stupidity really I can, in fact I personally believe I deal with more than my fair share, but for something like Twilight to become as colossal a success as it has truly makes me want to hang up my fangs and give up any aspiration to become a blood sucking night creature real or make believe. And though I've never been big on body hair, if becoming a man-wolf means I get to rip chibi-Vampire fans limb from limb and feast upon their various important organs than at this point I'd be all for it. This generation needs someone to show them what being a monster Means.

It Means, You Don't Play Nice And you don't get the girl!

PS: I've never actually personally come in contact with any Twilight related material, and I like it that way.
The more I interact with the world, the less I want to...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheDeceiverGod
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby bllwolf1 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:39 pm

I completely agree. Also, people are far too obsessed with Twilight. It started with only a few people reading it, then it spread like wildfire. Now, you could split my entire school into two groups: those who hate it, and those who love it. The people who at first didn't even care eventually went to one side or the other.
"PS: I've never actually personally come in contact with any Twilight related material, and I like it that way" Me neither. The closest I've ever been to reading it was when I saw the cover of the book. The closest I've been to watching it was the trailers on TV.
And I'm not even going into the religious issues! All in All,the person who wrote this series should be eaten alive by his/her own creations!
RANDOM FACTS
Dracul meant Dragon in Romanian in the time of Vlad the Impaler, the man also known as Draculea, or Dracula.
Draculea literally means "Son of the Dragon"

bllwolf1
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rooster on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 pm

I hate how the writer of this book, Miss Myer Stomps the shit out of MONSTER

Hello, is anyone home?

MONSTER

The thing that wants to rip your liver out and choke you with it! NOT Oh gooshy gooshy Im lonely feel bad!

And then Vampires start to sparkle....

Was she high on PCP when she wrote this?

I think the only way I could mistake fire for a massive amount of glitter is that If I was on a massive amount of Horse tranquilizer.

Rooster
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VersteckterGeist on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Well.

Personally, my friends and I saw the Twilight Movie.. and I have no idea why, but the dude that played the main vampire guy.. he just looked like a total idiot. Come on, that hair wasn't dreamy.. he looked like some reject from The Cure! =(

I also have another rant. I'd have to say the book 'The Host' was better than all the Twilight books.. even though it was about aliens and humans as hosts.. it was still more believable than the whole sparkly vampire incident. Also, what is up with Stephanie beating up her main heroines? Bella got beat the crap out of multiple times and so did the main female character in The Host.. Are bruised females really that sexy? Is helplessness and neediness in a female all that attractive?

Besides those arguments.. I think they left out pivotal plot segments in the movie. I really think the movie was made for fans who had already liked the book and sort of understood the story more than say.. a person who just purchased a ticket and wanted to see the 'hottest' vamp movie on date night.

Just my opinion.. XD
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Image ImageImage

VersteckterGeist
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PixieLove on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 pm

iamsheena wrote:I'd just like to say that I am a teen .. and female ... and I have not read a single Twilight book because, 1. It apparently has something to do with Vampires and it's a romance? IF I read books with vampires, they're going to be a little haunting and whatnot, 2. People are too hyped up about it (EVERYONE in my english class ... including the teacher) and I'm not too fascinated, 3. I don't trust the writing skills as the author took so little time to write the series and that just doesn't seem promising to me.

So yeah - maybe I'll watch the movies and listen people complain about how unlike the books they are.

ok, yes the book is a romance, but its not ur typical romance. and people are only hyped because its really good. they writing may not be that great but u still really get into it. i am currently reading the last one, and the author it writing a fifth book, and the move pretty much folllowed the book. the author was on set when they were filming the whole movie, and if she didnt like somthing, they didnt put it in the movie and they changed it. i dont want to be rude, but ur statements shocked me.

PixieLove
Member for 11 years
Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kevah on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 pm

FML.
I got a fucking poster of Edward Cullen for my birthday.

btw.

.. I got all four/five whatever books for chirstmas. From the same person.
I hate Twilight. Cliched plot and all.

Kevah
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Comrade Vacilli on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Burn them. Quick! I won't tell anyone.\
I HATE TWILGIHT> IT MUST BURN> CULLEN MUST BE CASTARATED. KILL HIM AND BURN HIM!
JOIN THE TKKK the Twilight Ku Klux Klan

There should be two, no more, no less. One to embody power, one to crave it. "
- Darth Bane
" I? I am peace, I am salvation."
- Grave mind

Comrade Vacilli
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eudemonia on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:34 am

"Gone are the days when vampires were dreary, basement dwelling Eastern Europeans in capes. Now they are dreary, fey little d-bags wearing lipstick and shuffling around like unenthusiastic Lord Byron impersonators without the animal machismo or ruffled shirts. And they’re sparkly."

-Mike Nelson

Eudemonia
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilencexGolden on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:39 am

PixieLove wrote:
iamsheena wrote:I'd just like to say that I am a teen .. and female ... and I have not read a single Twilight book because, 1. It apparently has something to do with Vampires and it's a romance? IF I read books with vampires, they're going to be a little haunting and whatnot, 2. People are too hyped up about it (EVERYONE in my english class ... including the teacher) and I'm not too fascinated, 3. I don't trust the writing skills as the author took so little time to write the series and that just doesn't seem promising to me.

So yeah - maybe I'll watch the movies and listen people complain about how unlike the books they are.

ok, yes the book is a romance, but its not ur typical romance. and people are only hyped because its really good. they writing may not be that great but u still really get into it. i am currently reading the last one, and the author it writing a fifth book, and the move pretty much folllowed the book. the author was on set when they were filming the whole movie, and if she didnt like somthing, they didnt put it in the movie and they changed it. i dont want to be rude, but ur statements shocked me.

For god sake Twiliight is the worst Vampire book i have ever seen i mean 1.A Romance With a human and Vampire!? wtf much.
2. I believe That vampires can survive in sunlight but they're powers are just weakened.
3.There's no such thing as a Vegetarian Vampire all vampires must take fresh human blood to survive.
Image Thanks Mainee! ~ xox.
Please add your name to my list of people for my newest experiment: A Vampire's Masquerade (Interest Check)

SilencexGolden
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lily Evans on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 am

I have a few words for twilight fans.

-First, I haven't read all the way through, but the first book was starting to get boring so I put it down. I might try to pick it up in the future again.

-Second, is the girl even a normal human?! The movie was so tense at the first part of it, you could cut the air with a friggen knife!

-Third: Anne Rice trumps Stephenie Meyer. Period.
Lily Dawn Evans:
My Character Profiles: WIP
http://www.roleplaygateway.com/work-pro ... 23818.html

Lily Evans
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SilencexGolden on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:48 am

O.o Anne Rice? and thank god someone agrees with me

SilencexGolden
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lily Evans on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:50 am

Yeah, I'm a huge anne rice fan, or I was until she went christian. (I'm a christian too, but I loved her books about vampires so don't get me wrong)

Lily Evans
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cloaked_Schemer on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:02 pm

It's sad because most of the Twilight fangirls have never even heard of Ann Rice..

In any case, I find the story to be quite ridiculous. Reasons:

-They fell in love in closer to a two day span. What the hell?
-They sparkle. 'Nuff said.
-Bella is a friggin' idiot. She needs to be admitted to a mental hospital.

However, I've always liked the idea of a vampire falling in love with a human. I've always considered vampires to be the more 'romantic' creatures of the night and werewolves to be the violent beasts. However, they're both still beasts and musn't lose that ideal.
(12:17:45) RoxYRosE: And you did. Crim is not a liar... ask her if I said what you said I said. I bet she says what I think she'll say.

ImageImage

Cloaked_Schemer
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!