Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chou. on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Historical fiction aye?

I recommend you to read Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. (And seriously, it was only meant for adults; when I, a young teenager is somewhat a mature reader - I don't get all "EWW" when the "scenes" come, I got used to it; but again, let's get to the point about this book I'm telling you.)

It is fairly a book about historical fiction, or part non-fiction, about Vlad - hoho, vampires. But I believe there's not romance cliche, I believe it's really antique and vintage to me somehow. I started reading since I first came home, since it's my dad's book and he didn't read it - I fell in love in a few pages.

(Fudge it. This thread is turning into a "book recommendation" thread anytime soon.)
Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
chou.
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:17 pm

ThatsNotPoetry wrote:Again, it's a romantic teen series. The more awkward and unusually sexual tidbits, the better. I don't AGREE, but that's how vampire stuff goes.

It's unsettling to me because when I was in grade school I wasn't searching for romance novels. Also, I didn't want to read about people my own age because people my own age hadn't experienced enough to make them interesting/intuitive. It's twice as upsetting because adults are writing books geared toward romantically obsessed kids. Whaaaaat. Please, grown-ups. Write something that encourages growth and epiphany and mental stimulus.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with some fun, easy reading. Not everything needs to make us philosophers.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're trying quite hard to remain neutral. Understandable, of course. But I totally agree with you about how teen fiction authors seem to be stuck in their teen years. O.r they're just determined to keep the children of today in their same mental state for the rest of their lives
We'd be so less fragile
If we're made from metal
And our hearts from iron
And our minds from steel.
But if we built an armor
For our tender bodies
Could we love each other?
Would we start to feel?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:19 pm

chou. wrote:Historical fiction aye?

I recommend you to read Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. (And seriously, it was only meant for adults; when I, a young teenager is somewhat a mature reader - I don't get all "EWW" when the "scenes" come, I got used to it; but again, let's get to the point about this book I'm telling you.)

It is fairly a book about historical fiction, or part non-fiction, about Vlad - hoho, vampires. But I believe there's not romance cliche, I believe it's really antique and vintage to me somehow. I started reading since I first came home, since it's my dad's book and he didn't read it - I fell in love in a few pages.

(Fudge it. This thread is turning into a "book recommendation" thread anytime soon.)


I actually tried reading The Historian. I'm still in the process. I found it a little boring.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby albel cigaro on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Kronos wrote:Very good rant, my man! I've even got my High School English teacher recommending this book to me!
IThe same thing has happened to me.

On the another note I have yet to read any of the twilight books. The fac that it is aimed at teengaers, is extrmely popular, involves involves the two of the world's most overused mythical creaturesand apparently has scooby doo level leaps of logic prevent me from even touching the book with a thirty nine and a half foot pole.

Would it be safe to group Twilght with the Vampire Knight manga series? They have indentical audiences, both star two "hot" male vapires who fight over a human girl's affection. They also have both plauged roleplaying sights with both fiction based roleplay and plots inspied by them. I hate VK so it would be sae to assume that I would hate twilight.
DO NOT WANT ...my post to be rated.

If you feel like critiquing any post that I make please do it though PM as I find it much more informative than a simple number

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
albel cigaro
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:39 pm

I don't read Manga, so I have no idea about Vampire Knight. You see, the thing is, I normally LOVE hot vampires. Two of my favorite books are Got Fangs and Circus of the Darned. But those are OBVIOUSLY meant to be trashy teen vampire novels. I would be fine with Twilight if it didn't try to be any more than a trashy teen vampire novel. However, Smeyer tries to pass it off as good literature, and people compare it to Harry Potter, and even say that it is BETTER than Harry Potter ....

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Harry Potter is in the same boat as Twilight; It's a book pretending to be something more than a novel for teens! JK - Shut upabout how your book isn't derivative! NAO!

The concept of a wizard boy going to a magic school, while also being the chosen one is really overdone. Just read any teen fantasy novel, and you'll see a slightly different version of this same plot.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
Kronos
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:51 pm

No one is denying that at all. The amount of similarities between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings is staggering. However, JK Rowling can at least write. Though I will admit, the seventh book disappointed me. It was a little anticlimactic, but other than that, they're pretty great.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SpringTimeFox on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:34 pm

Village Alchemist wrote:B. There was no reason at all to involve vampires. Edward could have been from some cult, or anarchist sect, or been a lesbian woman, or just the really really really unpopular kid, or all ugly and deformed, and the effect on plot would be the same. Supernatural elements should not be involved in a story unless necessary.

C. Sparkly vampires?


ALCHEMIST!
Is it bad that my girlfriend and I were reading this and I said "Well, what if she involved lesbian vampires?" >< and then I read what you said and I pointed at the screen going "LOOK! He thinks like me" ^^ <3

onto the REAL subject now *coughcough*
I've never read Twilight but it does seem like the cliche kind of book I would set down after a few paragraphs.

Harry Potter, when it came out, was not a cliche book. I'll admit JK did a lot wrong towards the end and made almost all her fans throwing down "Deathly Hollows" with a shout of "WHAT THE CRAP" when some things happened. But thats not this topic >>......

Anyway, I'm off to the real world. Be back on the weekend... I think?
Speak softly and carry a big stick.
That way, when they dont hear you, you can hit them in the knees.


I'm finally back. I'm terribly sorry I was gone so long.
Avatar: My girlfriend and I... Yes I'm showing off <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
SpringTimeFox
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:22 pm

LALAshesang wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're trying quite hard to remain neutral.

>_> <_< *WINK*


Now, I'm not an HP-novel fan, l but my girlfriend is, so I'm pretty familiar with them. She has every book, but was quite let down by the 7th. We enjoy the movies for Alan Rickman and Jason Isaacs, for the most part. The HP books are kept in the Juvenile section in the library. They are technically marketed toward a far younger audience than Twilight, but I find them even more mentally stimulating than the vampire-romance. That's just me.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:26 pm

I think in all cases except for Lord of the Rings, the last book of a series is extremely disappointing. It's very hard for an author to live up to the readers' expectations.

However, I didn't even expect anything of Breaking Dawn, and I was monstrously offended by it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:39 pm

LALAshesang wrote:However, I didn't even expect anything of Breaking Dawn, and I was monstrously offended by it.

:O do tell!

And truth, about excessive sequels. Really, the "tons of sequels for this brilliant fantasy children's book + tons of movies in the works" has been beaten to death, over the last 10 years. Between Harry Potter, Lemony Snicket, Spiderwick, Eragon, and soon to be Twilight? They've been dragging Narnia and Golden Compass into the film part of it, too. They rape the hell out of these books, urging authors pump 'um out for more cash, even if they're not very good books to begin with; holding them on multi-billion dollar pedestals and ruining any decency the books may or may not have had in the first place.

...../rant

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Natsurra on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Reading the first post I can see where the creator of this thread is coming from. I've read all the books, and I was honestly pretty disappointed with the ending of Breaking Dawn. But I will hold to my word, because this is my opinion and I'm entitled to it, I enjoy reading these books. They aren't what I'd say a challenging read, but they are just.. enjoyable and help pass the time. I don't read so I can say "Oh, see this book? This book is the most challenging book to read ever so therefore I am amazing." I read because its what I love to do and I don't really care if the book is an easy read, or even a stupid read. I find it amusing.

So, basically what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't hate a person for liking a book. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What kind of reason is that to hate someone? We all have different interests and different ideas of what we find enjoyable. I think that Twilight haters and Twilight lovers alike should be able to get along. It's just a damn book people!! Why are so many people fighting over a BOOK? It's words. It's paper. It's ink. Who cares?
Last edited by Natsurra on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
Natsurra
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Well, I wasn't offended by anything IN the book, like there was nothing singularly offensive. However, I was offended by this woman's trying to pass off the book as good. It's like me and the JoBros (off on a tangent) They have good music, but if that's the music they're going to put out, they should just BE pop, and stop trying to seem all rock and roll, you know what I mean? Like, I read TONS of books that wouldn't be considered "good books" and I have enjoyed them. I would have enjoyed twilight if she was just like 'yeah, this is a crappy vampire romance.'

But no ....

I also would have liked it if Jacob rose up and killed all the vampires. I really did like Jacob.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:59 pm

Natsurra wrote:We all have different interests and different ideas of what we find enjoyable. I think that Twilight haters and Twilight lovers alike should be able to get along. It's just a damn book people!! Why are so many people fighting over a BOOK? It's words. It's paper. It's ink. Who cares?

I don't think anyone's actually getting up in arms over this. The OP was ranting and seems tired of excessive RP threads and shrieking girls. In fact, the OP appears to be the only person who got that worked up, and hasn't since. Everyone else is either expressing like or dislike for the series.


LaLashesang, I totally get what you're saying. Too much hype can ruin something. At that point it's like you're obligated to love it, even if it's not that great, and by then you're irritated that whatever the item is has garnered as much obsession as it has.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Surreal on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:05 pm

LALAshesang wrote:OMGSH you have no idea the hatred I have for that whole series.

When I found out that there was going to be a movie, and that Garrett Hedlund (the lovely man in my avatar) was going to be in it. I read the book.

It was painful. I felt like Paolini was trying FAR too hard. And one thing that really bothered me was the he uses REALLY difficult, elevated words (no, that's not what bothered me) more than once on the same page. It's probably crazy that that bothers me, but to me it doesn't say that he's smart, it says that he grabbed a thesaurus and threw words in there because he wanted to seem smart.

And THEN I read Eldest ... only to discover that Murtagh (the only reason I read) was only on the last four pages or so. I WAS ecstatic that he beat Eragon, though. However, I know Paolini is going to turn him back to good, and that's depressing. So, I refuse to read Brasingr until it becomes available in my school library.


The Eragon series is...is...indescribably awful. Cliched as hell, and twice as boring. The only scene in the entire thing that I actually liked was that scene at the end of Eldest where Eragon fights Murtagh. That was badass. Too bad the rest of the book(s) was/were so bad. =\

Oh, and the movie was so bad, I felt sorry for Paolini. I actually laughed heartily throughout the entire film (I rented the DVD)

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

About Harry Potter, I quite enjoyed every single book. They may be naive, cliched, contain illogical characters and such, etc, but Rowling still managed to make it an enjoyable read. And I respect her for managing it.

But I agree that the ending was horribly anticlimactic. Voldemort's death was stupid, (among other things) and I actually did respond similar to "What the CRAP?!" But I still like the series. It's one of the very few that I can read multiple times and still enjoy.

<> <> <> <> <> <> <> <>

And now, on the original subject of this thread, Twilight. I've never read them, but I have no doubt that what you say is true. It's sad, really, that such drivel receives wide acclaim while much more deserving tales are ignored. But that's the way it is.

I have a female friend, and she seems to find dear Edward absolutely amazing. It makes me want to read the books, just to learn his secret to driving teenage females insane with infatuation. How terribly, terribly sad.


As an extra note, the Artemis Fowl series is brilliant. Even the last book. I would recommend any and all of Eoin Colfer's literary works.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
Surreal
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:24 pm

ThatsNotPoetry wrote:

LaLashesang, I totally get what you're saying. Too much hype can ruin something. At that point it's like you're obligated to love it, even if it's not that great, and by then you're irritated that whatever the item is has garnered as much obsession as it has.


Exactly! And I'm not even someone who stops liking something just because it gets popular, typically. Boy bands, books, television series ... I am not someone who goes against the grain just for the sake of it.

But the Twilight books TRULY and DEEPLY upset me. Even before they were as popular as they are now. However, I will admit, that I did my share of being excited over the idea of Jacob killing everyone, including Bella. I guess it might be a LITTLE unfair that once I figured out that wasn't going to happen I stopped reading, but it just seemed like a more interesting conclusion than what I knew was coming.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BlindxLace on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:30 pm

Bring a Twilight fan myself, I LOVE the way you see the book. I have read twilight over and over, and somehow i never really paid much attention and details to what you have said. I'm more of a fan of Jacob than Edward. And honesty I think that New Moon is the best twist in the series. I'm sure if New Moon wasn't there, i wouldn't begin to read Eclipse, or even Breaking Dawn.

Speaking of Breaking Dawn, Yes, I have read it all. I was really disappointed in BD. It was pretty fucking wack! wait..a..minute..i need to rethink what i'm writing. >.< I felt like i was free writing whatever came to my mind. *thinks*
All I ever do is wish things were different.
This envy is destroying me..
and it is obvious.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
BlindxLace
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:36 pm

BlindxLace wrote:Bring a Twilight fan myself, I LOVE the way you see the book. I have read twilight over and over, and somehow i never really paid much attention and details to what you have said. I'm more of a fan of Jacob than Edward. And honesty I think that New Moon is the best twist in the series. I'm sure if New Moon wasn't there, i wouldn't begin to read Eclipse, or even Breaking Dawn.

Speaking of Breaking Dawn, Yes, I have read it all. I was really disappointed in BD. It was pretty fucking wack! wait..a..minute..i need to rethink what i'm writing. >.< I felt like i was free writing whatever came to my mind. *thinks*


I really do love Jacob, which is another odd thing. If Stephenie Meyer was able to come up with ONE character who wasn't completely ridiculous (most of the time) what happened to the rest of them?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 pm

I hate Twilight because its trying to balance crappy romance with supernatural occurences. It takes the stuff that people do on here all the time and turns it into a book. Not to insult anyone here, so please don't jump on me. I read on page of the first book and never looked at another one. It's a piece of crap series that got popular because it's a cliche. Want a vampire series? Read Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan. It's original, and it's unbelievably awesome.
"]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

User avatar
True_Grave
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheAlmightyForkNinja on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 pm

Do you guys mind if I explain why I like it?
It's not for the writing, I assure you.^^
I just don't want you guys mad at me for my opinion, so I thus ask permission to be the poor little goldfish in the ocean of sharks.^^
>>
Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheAlmightyForkNinja
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!

 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest