Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby .Life.Death.Tragedy. on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04 pm

i like it. not love. i do think its weird how everyone is obsessed tho... o.0

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

.Life.Death.Tragedy.
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:33 pm

I never read the book nor do I intend too. Most forms of entertainment, yes books are entertaining, are now clichéd to the point that just getting a preview or short overview of the story is enough to know how it will all end. That's why I stopped watching anime and reading manga. Finding a good book today is like finding a needle in a haystack but I think it's worth it. "The Little Prince" is one of THE BEST books I read and LOVE it!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

BSX
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dweebs on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:52 pm

oi, I know like fifteen girls at my school that are obsess with that book. It doesn't matter what the quality of something is, it's okay to like it as long as does not become an obsession, am I right?

dweebs
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TowerCorp on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 am

actually i was wondering why everybody finds twilight so much interesting. I mean, it's nothing never seen before, and i think that there are lots of way better vampire stories.
i was really, really hoping i didn't have to state this, but i see no one actually uses the brain here, so...
i'm a foreign. english is NOT my language.
i'm just 16 years old, and i learned it alone.
so please, before rating my posts with low grades, think about how difficult is for me to rp in a language that is not my language.

TowerCorp
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xersist on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:02 am

I never read the books, and I don't think I really need to. Not that I'm dissing the book in anyway, its just that it didn't appeal to me, Sure I liked vampires, but ya the romance seemed kinda fake, like what Village Alchemist said. I read two to three chapters and bam! their getting into it.

And really I find the writer using the Vampires as a matter of convenience at the start. Something to push the Romance factor to an animalistc love, rather than a rational one.

Like I said, its not my cup of tea, I can see it being enjoyable. But personally I find the depth shallow. It just seemed to be a matter of convenience the whole way through, things would come up when needed.

(This is out of left field, but)This is for the ladies, (and some guys) who are in love with these books and think that its real. Please ladies, do not use, Book, Magazines, TV or Movies. to be an example of real life and there agendas. Love should not be this easy or this complicated, So please stop making stories like this. (Ya I'm talking to all those High School Roleplays that spawn here and turn to one giant sex grope fest)

Anyways, I wouldn't call if a full blown fad, Twilight seems to take it as a simple fandom that will grow over time, and it has room for a mythology, but I really hope that the writer can have some clairvoyance and make things seem deeper, and more planned out that the first book I partly read and heard about.

I see real potential with this story, but again, it needs to make things alot more realistic in the human contact, and love aspect, and in story depth.

(Oh and guys shut up, I know alot of us are having an orgasm about the next Eragon book, so don't be so one sided. We all have our faults. and we all got our loves. Girls like Sexy Vampires, that can suck your blood, and Guys like Big Scaly Dragons that can bite off someones head.)
From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli
We will fight our country's battles in air, on land and sea

First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean
We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine

Xersist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby -HikariSama- on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:50 am

Heh, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who believes that. She tried WAY too hard to bring the Cullen's family back to 'reality' in the last book. I bought it because I was on vacation at the time, and had some spare money left over. So I read it (I've already read the others, by the way), and I was sooo disappointed with the ending. I mean, seriously? Why the hell did Jacob imprint on Renesmee. If anything, I'd thought that Jacob had already imprinted on Bella, and that most definitely would have made it a much better.

My favorite book out of the entire series? I would have to say New Moon. Why? Because it wasn't all about Edward and Bella together. She'd actually got a chance to develop Jacob. Too bad that she left him hanging and went back to the disgustingly in-love teenage lovers.

I'd admit, that at first, I had really like the book. But as time wore on, it became more of 'just a read' then 'it's a good read'. I still recommend it to people - just to those who are too bored to read anything else. However, if you really want to read a good book, go look in the library and ask the librarian. They usually have much better picks, considering that they do have to catalogue (sp?) every single one of these books.

Harry Potter: !st - 4th book, I loved. Still read them over and over again. 5th and 6th? Meh. 7th? It was alright, until she killed the ending. I mean - WTF is up with the stupid epilogue? You'd think that Harry's kids would know EXACTLY who their dad is, and why everyone else is staring at him.

The movie? They killed it. Especially after the original Dumbledor died... I remember my friend and I ranting about how the Dumbledor in the 4th movie was soo different from the book's. The REAL Dumbledor never would have been so aggressive in asking Harry if he had cheated his way into the tourny. Didn't even bother to check if the newest movie is out yet. I've completely lost faith in the movie industry when it comes to making movies from books.

Eragon: It was alright, for a teen novel. I would recommend it to grades 5-7, maybe lower if they wanted a good challenge. However, I have yet to recommend it to any high school and beyond students, because after grade 8 (for me anyways), I had lost interest in the series. I might go to the library and borrow the newest one in the series, but once again, that's a maybe.

The movie? Haven't seen it yet, so I'm not going to pass judgment on it just yet.

LotR: It was a pretty good read. Really challenged me when I first started reading it in grade 7, but after grade 8, like Eragon, I kind of lost interest. Sure it was good - why else did it last all the way from WWII? But it was just 'a good read', nothing more. Entertaining - yes. Imaginative - yes (I'm pretty sure that writing it in the middle of a war counts as being creative and imaginative). Will it keep you interested for a long time? Depends on the person. I for one, lost interst after finishing the trilogy and The Hobbit.

The movie? The only character that I had liked was Gandalf, and that was only because Iam McKellen was such a good actor. He actually read the book and did in depth character research so to be able to bring Gandalf to life - which he did, and what a remarkable job it was. My favorite quote from him in the movie? -looks at Frodo- "Fly, you fools!" -got dragged down with the demon as Frodo screamed for Gandalf while being carried away by Aragon- (I do hope that that made sense - it did in my mind's eye as I pictured the movie in my head)

Golden Compass series: It was a fairly good book. If you're an elementary student, or a really childish reader. However, I didn't read it until I had heard about the movie. Read it, and enjoyed it somewhat. It's a good book to pass the time with, for me anyways.

The movie? Haven't seen it yet, and WAS hoping to rent it when it came out on DVD. However, my friends have given me the spoilers (even though I told them not to - they started talking about it around me. Kinda hard to tune them out when they're standing in a circle around you), and that I must say that I don't like what I hear. However, as always I shall keep my comments about the movie to myself until I see it with my own eyes. Not that I don't trust my friends, it's just that it's their opinions, not mine.

Any recommendations? If you're a person who's into philosophy, go read "Sohpie's World". I first tried to read it while in grade 6. Couldn't wrap my head around it, so I decided to not read it until summer of grade 7-8. Got most of the meaning, but was still a bit confused. Decided again to leave it until later. Now would probably be a good time as any to pick it back up. And for those who haven't read it yet - I seriously recommend it. It will make you think and truly ponder about things.

Wheel of Time: It's a good book - however, it's so repetitive that I started to skim over the details and tried to find the major storyline. However, there were so many of them that I couldn't tell exactuly which one I should focus on. If you like fantasy/mediviel, then this is a fairly good pick for you. Another one would be the Dragonlance series. Especially the original series. However, the others just started to get really repetitive. (Spoiler alert! The following is in the smallest type I can have. If you really want to read the spoiler/have already read the books then go ahead and highlight the text after this, copy and paste into whether notepad or word, and enjoy) Also, why is it that Raistlin comes back so often? If he's dead, then he should STAY dead. And Raistlin and Crysania did NOT get it on and have a child. (End of spoiler)

Anything else I've missed? Don't be afraid to point it out.
Last edited by -HikariSama- on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
あなたを心から愛しています... 我全心的愛著你... I love you with all my heart...

-HikariSama-
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:55 am

My sister reccomended a twilight book to me once. Never knew what it was about because i fell asleep reading the first two words (I found it so boring) and never even glanced at it again, and from what i have read here i am glad i didn't.

From the looks of it, Twilight is getting as popular as Harry Potter but the book itself is incredibly rubbish and unoriginal.

Meh, after reading what all the people are saying here i would rather read the Mr Men series 0_o. I ain't a romantic novel kinda guy anyway. And sparkly vampires? WTF?!

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KilroyWasHere on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:40 am

Hear hear, it's too popular at my school, to. :/

KilroyWasHere
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:26 am

Everyone who has posted saying they dislike the series has illustrated why they hated it and given examples. I haven't seen any evidence from people who say they like it and that she is brilliant other than just saying that.

But anyway. I haven't read the series. I've heard it referred to me by people who like trashy romance novels. The vampire part is just a bonus. But, even glancing through the pages, the woman is a horrendous writer. But, it fits who she is aiming to sell her novels to. Props to her. She knows what will make her assloads of money.

What I don't understand is people over the age of 16 or 17 even reading past the first sentence, and THEN going as far as to tell other people to read it. Ew.

As for the Harry Potter discussion I read earlier, I am a big HP fan. (Everytime I see HP, I think about Hewlett Packard -_-;) I, too, however, was disappointed with the last book a little. But, I think Rowling is a great writer who extended way beyond her target audience with good reason.

<3<3<3
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:33 am

-HikariSama- wrote: Also, why is it that Raistlin comes back so often? If he's dead, then he should STAY dead. And Raistlin and Crysania did NOT get it on and have a child. (End of spoiler)

The writers can't just get rid of Raistlin because he's the one character that everybody loves. And he brought you a present!

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Billie_blujean on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 am

No. Everyone's not in love with Twilight. I'm not. ALTHOUGH.

I'm glad they're out there. And I'm glad people are fans, if for only one reason -

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO READ MORE.

I'm huge on people reading - for entertainment, for education, for frivolous means. I don't care why they read. I don't care what they read. I just want people (especially teens and pre-teens) reading.

So... YAY! Twilight rocks! (Even though it doesn't and even the Morganville Vampire books are better, which is saying something the there's only one really neat character in there - the crazy vampire.)

ANYWAY, I read a lot of fantasy/sci fi, and I read a lot of teen/young adult books in that genre. I'm 23. I have a 12 year old step-son and a "girlfriend" of said 12 year old, both of whom are big into reading, particularly fantasy and sci-fi. Since I love the genre anyway, I figure why not read them so that I can talk to the kids about them? You know? Take.... an INTEREST in the kids. It saves them from things like sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Right? I think? I don't know. I never saw why rock-and-roll was bad anyway.

At least I taught him that Linkin Park is NOT good music, no matter what his biological mother may have taught him.

And now I'm just getting a bit silly in my response.
~*~*The insecurity is almost as dire as the actual incidents: Much like democratic presidencies, we live in constant fear, never knowing when the next one will occur*~*

Billie_blujean
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:22 am

Raistlin!!!!! I love him, even though his a bastard.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby -HikariSama- on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:02 pm

Heh, Kudos for Alchy for knowing and bringing up Raistlin~ My friend loves the series (he's still collecting the books. And here I thought that no one here would have read the series besides me. Guess I'm not the only nerd around here XD

-HikariSama-
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mikhos on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm

I hate Twilight!

Vampires burn in light. END OF STORY.

Vampires value humans as humans value cattle. END OF STORY.

What happened to the badassity of vampires?

They're now just tweenage romance characters now.

)':

My girlfriend even likes Twilight.

Mikhos
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KilroyWasHere on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:54 pm

Alright, now I'm going to go on a rant. :D

People nowadays have no sense of quality. Look at Beatlemania. People knew what was good then. Why don't they know now? Pink Floyd, on the other hand: Nobody ever liked them as people like the Beatles, or even the Stones, or hell, even Jethro Tull. Pink Floyd was a band that didn't make music: THEY MADE ART.

I want to see more books become classics now. If you make a book today that will be considered a classic in 10 years, I will love you for finding quality in the sea of shit.

KilroyWasHere
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby silvernekokitsune on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:03 pm

i havent read it yet but my friends keep telling me i need to...should i?

silvernekokitsune
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:17 pm

silvernekokitsune wrote:i havent read it yet but my friends keep telling me i need to...should i?

It should be pretty clear by now that this is a rather biased thread to ask in. :lol:

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby -HikariSama- on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Heh, you got that right, Alchy. And as for you, Kitsune, if you feel that it's worth a read at first, go try. But I warn you - you just might throw up after the first couple of chapters, maybe not even then. I kept reading until the end because I was hoping that Meyers would redeem herself. I was proven wrong ><

-HikariSama-
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheAlmightyForkNinja on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Here's why Forky likes it: (If she's sending herself to be burned at the stake here, go ahead and take her, because it's true. She wants you to know that she loves you and does not want you to hate her. She is just a very opinionate person who wants her veiw expressed. Ask Surreal. I'm all for compaigning for woman's rights. : ))

Ok, it's not the best piece of writing in the world, as I previously stated on the page before. I felt like I was ready fanfiction upon reading Breaking Dawn, and it did, in fact, cross my mind to throw it down and never finish, but I did anyway.

Bella is, as everyone has already beat into the ground, a complete Mary Sue. No doubt in my mind that Stephenie Meyer never took the Mark Sue test with Bella on her brain.

But here's where things get tricky.

I relate to Bella. Maybe that's the dumbest thing in the whole wide world to some of you, but I do. And below are the reasons.

1. I'm horribly and revocable clumsy. My boyfriend constantly wants me to not do anything because I always get hurt. Maybe it's just me, but I find clumsyness a major flaw in people. It was especially bad for Bella because of her situation. This may also be considered Mary Sue-ish since she always finds a way to escape harm.

2. I'm considered "smart" as well. Maybe this is a dumb thing to relate to, but hey, I do. I also relate to her sense of feeling a bit out of place among the students at her new school. I have often felt this same feeling and have often had to fight sterotypes like Bella. Much like she was from Arizona, and thus, must be tan, I go to a private school, and thus, much be rich.

3. I've been hated by a guy I loved before. He was out to kill me or anything, but he too, reminds me of Edward and is now my boyfriend.

4. On a sense of clear cut relations, lets look at a few people in my life that related to the characters and their relationships with Bella.
1)Edward-My boyfriend whose name is Edward. His real name is Robert Edward, but he prefers to go by his middle name. Notice anything? Robert Pattinson is playing Edward, and is thus, a Robert going as an Edward. He also plays the piano quite well, is smart, and overly protective of me.
2)Alice-My best friend Alicia who acts like a sister to Edward. She has much of the same personality (ex. She's very bubbly) and enjoys telling us how she thinks things will turn out.
3)Jasper-My male best friend with the thickest Southern accent you've ever heard. Whether Jasper still has his or not is debatable, but David also shares his queit and reserved personality. They are both label as misunderstand and don't get much time in their own right. Both hide behind the shadow of others.
4)Rosalie-Right. My ex-best friend who calls herself Edward's sister. She hates me, I try to get her to like me, enough said. She also bares a striking resemblence to the actress playing Rosalie.
5)Emmett-There again, my ex-bff bears a close personality and physical resemblence to Emmett. He loves to talk to me and treats me like a sister, even though his girlfriend treats me horriblely. I'm very good friends with him, like Bella is with Emmett.

In my opinion, Twilight was the best and the only one really worth the time to read unless you're so attached to the characters you feel you must continue. It would have made a good stand alone novel since things seem to be clear in the end that he is turning Bella into a vampire. By the time she got to Breaking Dawn, she was just writing to make the fan's happy and make money.

I just relate well to Bella and often joke with my friend's that Meyer stalked me when writing the book. That is why I like it. I can relate to the characters. I also like the fact that one of the main characters, even though he gets little time, is Southern. Being Southern, this means a lot to me. Also the fact that she created a character that fought in the Civil War as a Confederate General astounds me. Maybe it's just me, but most things about the Civil War or characters from the Civil War time period in modern literature seem to be from the North, eh?

TheAlmightyForkNinja
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roselite on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:46 am

I want to read Finnegan's Wake...

I LOVE Harry Potter. But the thing is, his best friend, Ron, is the major character that I think is the most realistic of the entire bunch. I've got to agree on the whole 'kids don't know who their father is?' part, and the biggest letdown- 'DUMBLEDORE'S GAY!' after the book ended!

Now, only Twilight. I loathe this book with a passion. It's seriously stupid, gay, and just cliche. Edward is just too much of a dumbfuck abuser creep, Bella is THE most Mary-Sue person I've EVER seen(and trust me, I take Mary-Sue Litmus Tests for my characters), Jacob is okay except for the whole PEDOPHILIA part. And the series is WAY too hyped, it's not well-written, and 'He can Make Rainbows out of sunlight'? What the fuck? I can make rainbows out of sunlight... WITH A MARVELOUS INVENTION CALLED A HOSE!

Seriously, the kids I know really need to get a life. Twilight is the only book they like other than the 'Uglies' series. They don't even want to hear about true literature, or any other vampire things like the Anne Rice series(or whatever that one series is that my friend Morgan was talking about).
But it's like . . . you've got this voice that just makes everything else go away. Singing or otherwise. It brings things down to what you're talking about and makes it . . . well, I dunno what the word is, but it's synonymous with beautiful.

Roselite
Member for 16 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!