Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby isafos on Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:50 am

I'd rather read an entertaining, lighthearted comedy romp like Mein Kampf, this faggy vamp slash-werewolf lite stuff is horseshite, IMO.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

isafos
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Greenhorn on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:02 am

Not everyone here is in love with Twilight, it seems. :)

But most of the girls from my class (say, 12 out of 14) love it. My sister loves Twilight too. Heck, at that point, everyone made it seem as if the book was the best thing ever. So I picked one up from the school library and read through the pages, expecting a wonderful romantic story.

Oh, it was "romantic" alright.

Anyway, I believe some may have said this already, but I'm going to say it anyway: Bella's character screamed "Mary Sue" all over. And I definitely cannot tolerate Mary Sues. (Bella Swan would mean "Beautiful Swan": Mary Sue or not?)

Also, according to LALAshesang's (great username, by the way xD) first post in this thread, "OMGSH EDWARD IS SO AMAZING! I WANT A BOYFRIEND JUST LIKE HIM!" You have no idea how many of the girls in my class says that. Perhaps not in the exact same wording, but similar nonetheless.

Despite all this, however, I think I understand the reason for its fandom. Ever been to fanfiction.net? There are people who write stories with Mary Sues, be it likable or not (usually not). While I certainly could not come to like such characters, there are those who love to read Mary Sue in action. Additionally, as Ms. AlmightyForkNinja had explained, there could be people who relate themselves to the characters. Hell, I have a friend who pretend that she's Bella when reading the book. ("I feel like I'm totally there - in action!") Also, hey - anyone seen this yet?

I wouldn't say anything about her (Stephanie Meyer's) writing, though. I can't say that I can write better; English is not my first language and my vocabulary is irritatingly small. I can safely say that I have read better books with better writing, however.

That's the end of my rant. I'm not very good at this kind of stuff, but felt like I should try and drop my five cents in.

SPARKLY VAMPIRES! ...That made be laugh. In a good way.
Last edited by Greenhorn on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas: And are they as big as he is?
Danny: Who?
Nicholas: The mum and the sister?
Danny: Same person.

"Over in that drink bar, they sell a drink that's two parts Calpis and Ginger Ale, and one part MYSTERY LIQUID!!! You wanna' know what it tastes like? Huh!? Hair tonic, that's what!! Is that friggin' crazy or what?!?"

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Greenhorn
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby isafos on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:19 am

On a short off topic note, stop putting yourself down. Every one of the 'english isn't my first language' people that I see on the internet are one hundred times better than any fanfic kid that stumbles on here. Hell, you're most definitely a hell of a better writer than I am.

isafos
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:24 am

HAHA Greenhorn you just made my day!!!And I will agree with you on fanfiction.net. I love to right but I make my characters drifferent. Like the ones I RP on here.Random,insane,unique and as imperfect as possible.^^ I love being different and it's the same when I write. Everyone seems to be a conformist recently and it's pissing me off. Anyway if anyone has ever heard of Quizilla thats where my fics are.^^ I want some people to read them because no one has so far.I'm XChained2ImaginationX If any of you do wanna check it out.
Molly: Screw you Cookie
Jimmy: Sorry Mols that's my job ^.^

WhispersofMe
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Severus_Risen on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:15 pm

I personally HATE twiight it ruins braincells, and all my friends love the book, and cherish it, and want to marry edward (My guy friend even wants to BE jacob..) and I hate IT, even my TEACHERS love the book one even has it as her background it annoys me, the end.
ImageI EAT HOMOPHOBES! So don't be one!Image

Severus_Risen
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Billie_blujean on Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:57 pm

Well, as far as Mary Sues go, I can handle them when it's young teenagers writing. After all, it just is another way to extend "make believe" and fantasy into your life - never a bad thing. I'm sure plenty of people on this site are guilty of creating Mary Sues, even if they're who they WISH they were, not who they are. You know what I mean.

The worst is when actual adult writers, writing for other adults insert Mary Sues into their stories. FOR example. Anyone familiar with Anita Blake? The biggest friggin Mary Sue out there, if you ask me. As well as Rachel from Kim Harrison's novels.
~*~*The insecurity is almost as dire as the actual incidents: Much like democratic presidencies, we live in constant fear, never knowing when the next one will occur*~*

Billie_blujean
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:10 pm

No idea who either of those characters are, but the fact that they are there is upsetting. Adult authors should know better.
We'd be so less fragile
If we're made from metal
And our hearts from iron
And our minds from steel.
But if we built an armor
For our tender bodies
Could we love each other?
Would we start to feel?

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Billie_blujean on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:33 am

Especially with Anita Blake. The bizarre stuff that woman ends up having happen to her (like becoming a human succubus????) and the deviant route the books took for almost 9 novels was just disturbing to say the least.

Billie_blujean
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheAlmightyForkNinja on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:47 am

I don't pretend I'm Bella by the way. I personally hate her and don't like the fact that I relate to her. She is the biggest Mary Sue I've ever seen. ><
And I hate reading most Fan Fiction on fanfiction.net. I have an account, but I mostly keep to posting my own stuff and reading ones that my best friend (who happens to love Mary Sue stories for the humor) sends me because she knows I'll enjoy them.

TheAlmightyForkNinja
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Billie_blujean on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:17 pm

There is nothing better than a humorous Mary Sue.

Billie_blujean
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Official-lightbulb on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:51 am

I hate the very ground that twilight stands on. All of my friends like it because 'THE VAMPS SHOW EMOTION WIFOUT BEIGN EMO!!!!!!'

I read it, and not only was Edward super-emo, but Bella was too!

It was so bad I laughed.

You can't trust friends anymore.

Official-lightbulb
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:21 am

WITHOUT being emo?!

Edward and emo are synonyms. He is such a little girl.

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:46 pm

Urg...I'll admit Edward is rather depressive but can we stop using the word EMO.I dislike lables and people who use them so very much.'Lables are for Soupcans' as a good friend of mine on another site said.It happened to be her username actually but whatever. So please.I don't like degrading people by catorgorising them.

WhispersofMe
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:48 pm

Ahaha, I'm all for not putting labels on real PEOPLE. But Edward is a fictional character.

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby -HikariSama- on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:15 pm

Yay! Finally someone who thinks the same way I do! I'll so glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that both Bella and Edward are the biggest sob-stories I have ever seen.
あなたを心から愛しています... 我全心的愛著你... I love you with all my heart...

-HikariSama-
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Billie_blujean on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:15 pm

And... well, you know. Emo is short for.... EMOTIONAL.

Makes sense.

[old folk talk]Why, I remember when emo didn't exist. If you were too sensitive, people just called you a crybaby or a wuss. Why, in my day....[/old folk talk]

Billie_blujean
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morning Star on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 pm

I had that accursed book reccomended to me so many times I began carrying it around with me in my dreams. After that experience, I finally checked it out and read it. Well... I managed to survive the first book, but the second and third have been quite painful. Bella is obsessive, and Edward is an overprotective, egotistical, self-righteous jerk. How could anyone want a boyfriend like Edward? If I did, one of us would have to die, and I would do everything in my power to make sure it was him.
ImageImage

Morning Star
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:13 pm

Exactly!

What's more. He's a stalker. And abusive. And a SPARKLY FUCKING VAMPIRE. All of these things would scream no to me, but then again, I have a functional brain and an imagination.

LALAshesang
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BSX on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 pm

2 words: True Blood

BSX
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby articefive on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:00 am

I DO!!! Edward is dreamy. He is the most perfect god like being in the world and he can do just about anything! Could you imagine. Why would you not like being in love with Edward! OMFG He is the most beautiful creature and would be fun to know, he would be the best in the world. How can you bash him and SM! The story line made millions. She rivals the harry potter thing with the amount made. She is getting a movie withing weeks of finishing her third book. I totally love the series! I think it is the best series I have ever read!!!1!!1!!11

articefive
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!