Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 am

This is a rant. If you like Twilight and Stephenie Meyer, please stop reading. However, if you find something wrong with the fact that almost the entire female teen population have become obsessed with books that not only have the crappiest, most cliched storyline ever, but are VERY poorly written, please read on and commiserate with me, because I am at my wit's end.

So, I have just decided that I am going to STOP reading Breaking Dawn (I'm a little more than halfway through) because I realized that I had far too much faith in Stephenie Meyer. I thought she would be able to pull her shit together and come up with a decent ending for a series that actually had some potential.

Alas, I was very, very wrong. So imagine my surprise when I come here and see how many people just LOVE Twilight and the other three books which are two crappy to even bother specifying. You know which books I mean. For my purposes I am just going to refer to them all as Twilight. And their excuse for loving it gets me every time just KILLS ME.

OMGSH EDWARD IS SO AMAZING! I WANT A BOYFRIEND JUST LIKE HIM!

Excuse me, but since when is being a pussy-whipped bitch at all attractive? Newsflash, girls, no man acts like that, and if he does, then you'd better get out quick. Because he is, like Edward, crazy, emotionally abusive, and a stalker.

And please, don't even get me started on Bella. She is the whiniest, most obnoxious Mary Sue I have ever come across. And it really bothers me how she just takes Edward's shit. We will leave her alone because everyone knows that she is inherently useless. (Until she becomes a vampire, that is, then, she is just SO SUPER SPECIAL THAT SHE CAN RESIST HUMANS WITH EASE! ... Puh-lease ... kill me.) But, you can't blame her, I guess. She has an idiot mother and a mentally retarded father. Obviously, she was destined to be sub-par.

What upset me the most was that SMeyer ruined the only plausible charater in the entire series, Jacob, by making him imprint on Bella's PERFECT child. Come on ... the pedophilia is killing me, here.

And don't try to contradict me when I say he and the werewolves are the only plausible characters.

VAMPIRES THAT SPARKLE IN THE SUN?! REALLY?!
NEWBORN VAMPIRES RUNNING AWAY FROM THE SCENT OF HUMAN BLOOD?!
A FATHER WHO DOES NOT NOTICE THAT THERE IS A VAMPIRE SLEEPING IN HIS DAUGHTER'S ROOM EVERY NIGHT?!

She has to be joking.

But it's the people who actually think she's GOOD at writing I feel sorry for. I admit, I read the books, but only because I was waiting for the day when Jacob would stop giving a shit about the drippy and useless Bella, and go medieval on Edward's ass. But people actually SAY shit like 'Stephenie Meyer is one of the greatest writers of our time. She's so skilled and creative-"

That is where I stop them. A vampire falling in love with a human girl against his better judgment, trying to get away from her because he is afraid that he will kill her, but coming back anyway and changing her into a vampire so they can be together forever is not creative. It has been done before. The only thing she did differently was throw glitter on the vampires, which she could have done without.

So, anyway, when people say that Stephenie Meyer is one of the greatest writers of our time, I correct them and say she is one of the most POPULAR writers of our time. Sadly, the majority of people are not that smart, and will think anything is good as long as it has a ridiculously cliched love story involving vampires and werewolves.

I will repeat myself. Kill me.

I could go on and on and on, but this is getting very long. Hopefully I can get a conversation going, then I will continue. Suffice it to say that I have stopped reading Breaking Dawn, so in my mind, there is still some hope. I can imagine things without the most likely horribly perfect ending Smeyer envisioned for all of her perfect characters.
Last edited by ThatsNotPoetry on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title altered to better reflect the content of the thread
We'd be so less fragile
If we're made from metal
And our hearts from iron
And our minds from steel.
But if we built an armor
For our tender bodies
Could we love each other?
Would we start to feel?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Re: Is EVERYONE here in love with Twilight?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:59 am

I'd just like to say that I am a teen .. and female ... and I have not read a single Twilight book because, 1. It apparently has something to do with Vampires and it's a romance? IF I read books with vampires, they're going to be a little haunting and whatnot, 2. People are too hyped up about it (EVERYONE in my english class ... including the teacher) and I'm not too fascinated, 3. I don't trust the writing skills as the author took so little time to write the series and that just doesn't seem promising to me.

So yeah - maybe I'll watch the movies and listen people complain about how unlike the books they are.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chou. on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:01 am

Suck it all up. Forgive me, I was the one who brought this trend to my school - well, to be honest, it was my fault I was trying to read something cliche, I NEEDED something to clear my mind during summer - so I got that book, and my sis told me that her friend told her that the book was amazing - and I was out of book to read, everybody knows I get this every month, so I read the book. And yeah, I made it all out that I'm going to turn out to be one of people you'll hate for your life.

I don't exactly find Stephenie Meyer as a skilled writer, she's more to the informal stuffs and yeah, cliche..(?) But as well as you can see, noob readers tend to find this cliche drama as the best thing to read ever. Even I didn't finish Breaking Dawn - because I was SICK of the book. (So, I'm not EXACTLY a pure fan here. -coughcough- Alright?)

You know the type of girls in high school, their only attraction in the book is "romance", "Edward", "Cullens", "Jacob" and "vampire". They don't exactly focus on the storyline, so... Yeah, you get it. I would rant about this, but since I was one that started this whole trend in my school - I'd die out of being killed by those girls that goes up and down running asking to borrow my books. (Trust me, I've only had them for like, a few months and they look... Uh, 7 years old?)

Well then, as a conclusion to this, I'd rather say that I'm not biased at this point of thing. I'm not so sure either I'm a fan, or a hater - because I'm neutral here.

chou.
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aika on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:01 am

Hello ^^

I can't say I really agree with you. I, personally, DO think Ms. Meyer is a wonderful author and I love the Twilight Saga. Breaking Dawn, I think, was very good, and so are all the others. She is brilliant and very talented. I just wanted you to hear my opinion, you asked for it, so there you go.

^^ Twilight01 ^^
Kill Them With Kindness :D

I got the great news... I'm having a little GIRL!

Aika
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chou. on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:08 am

Brava. A pure fan is brave enough to face your opinion, dearest. :)
Twilight01 - I envy you that you're brave enough to read such a critical message about Twilight, and you faced it. Wow, really; I envy you. I faced her opinion, and yes, that's my real opinion up there.

I believe that everybody has different ways of facing the world. Imagine if Edward and Bella were true people, they'd most pro'lly be facing their ways now; and have different opinions about "their life" than you do, LALAshesang.

chou.
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aika on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:11 am

chou. wrote:Brava. A pure fan is brave enough to face your opinion, dearest. :)
Twilight01 - I envy you that you're brave enough to read such a critical message about Twilight, and you faced it. Wow, really; I envy you. I faced her opinion, and yes, that's my real opinion up there.

I believe that everybody has different ways of facing the world. Imagine if Edward and Bella were true people, they'd most pro'lly be facing their ways now; and have different opinions about "their life" than you do, LALAshesang.

Well, half the girls' at my school diss on it all the time, so I'm used to it. *shrugs*.

Aika
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:17 am

I work in a library. I have seen the growth of the fandom from its source. The Twilight series is placed in the Young Adult section. It is intended for teenagers. Let them enjoy their fiction, regardless of how unsurprisingly familiar the whole story seems.

I cringe when 25 year olds suggest the books to me.

Of course, it's another fad. Whenever another romanticized vampire obsession shoves itself to the fore, those uninterested are left to deal with it until the next obsession comes along. No big deal. That's how all "cool things" work.

Be aware that you have created a thread specifically intended to hate on something that a lot of people here enjoy. "Don't read it if you like this stuff" simply doesn't work. Just be aware of the consequences.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:18 am

Ok. I'm not disagreeing with you. I dislike Edward and I really wanted Bella to die in Breaking Dawn and I dislike the werewolves but I slightly like the idea of a vampire boyfriend just not like Edward.Chanted is going to kill me but yeah.This is how me and my best friend see it: Twilight sucks you into the series, New Moon makes you manically depressive, Eclipse is where you finally give up and Breaking Dawn you just say shoot me.
Molly: Screw you Cookie
Jimmy: Sorry Mols that's my job ^.^

WhispersofMe
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 am

I read the first book. It was okay, I guess: a doofy teen romance novel, but that was what it was supposed to be. The thing that really got me was:

A. They fall in "love" waaaay to fast. If these were real people that I actually met, I'd assume them to be nymphophiles or idiots.

B. There was no reason at all to involve vampires. Edward could have been from some cult, or anarchist sect, or been a lesbian woman, or just the really really really unpopular kid, or all ugly and deformed, and the effect on plot would be the same. Supernatural elements should not be involved in a story unless necessary.

C. Sparkly vampires?

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:29 am

HEY!No offence to anyone and I totally agree with Village Alcamist but to be honest the sparkly vampires was the only thing i liked!

WhispersofMe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am

I don't mind that they read it. I just wanted to post fair warning. You know, kinda like a spoiler. I find it's best to put something like that so people know what to expect. I guess I am learning something from journalism ...

Anhyhoodles, I am actually surprised at the level of maturity in which the people who do like Twilight responded. I wasn't expecting any sort of response from them, but I commend that you all didn't just go 'OMG DON'T HATE STEPHENIE MEYER IS AMAZING AND YOU'RE STUPID!'

And I do realize that it is intended for teens. I am teenaged, so I think it is all right for me to talk about this book, seeing as I AM Smeyer's target audience.

Now, as for Smeyer being brilliantly talented ... I won't beat a dead horse.

And to the "If Bella and Edward were real" comment ... I would just like to emphasize that they're not. That's one of the things I see prominently in fans of the series: they act as if these characters are real, when in fact, they are not. I will not ponder what Bella and Edward would think of their life if they were real because they are just SO FAR from real people that it boggles me ... And yes, I know, it's fiction. I KNOW, but it's really BAD fiction. And I've read, and actually enjoyed some fluffy, ridiculous, vampire romance stories. The thing that makes them bearable is they're not posing as great literature ... or being compared to Harry Potter.

We won't even get started on that.

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:32 am

WhispersofMe wrote:Ok. I'm not disagreeing with you. I dislike Edward and I really wanted Bella to die in Breaking Dawn and I dislike the werewolves but I slightly like the idea of a vampire boyfriend just not like Edward.Chanted is going to kill me but yeah.This is how me and my best friend see it: Twilight sucks you into the series, New Moon makes you manically depressive, Eclipse is where you finally give up and Breaking Dawn you just say shoot me.

A vampire boyfriend WOULD be boss. As long as he didn't sparkle or emotionally abuse me.

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhispersofMe on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:37 am

Yeah ok I'm withyou on the emotional abuse,I get enough of that as it is but I wouldn't mind the sparkle.Then again if I wanted a dude that sparkled I culd date the warlock guy from City of Bones even though he's gay. And I wouldn't recomend it for you.It's slightly cliche but not that much,demon hunters,vampires,werewolves,gay sparkly dudes,demons and a brother and sister who're in love with eachother...ok so it's not that cliche.

WhispersofMe
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:54 am

WhispersofMe wrote:Yeah ok I'm withyou on the emotional abuse,I get enough of that as it is but I wouldn't mind the sparkle.Then again if I wanted a dude that sparkled I culd date the warlock guy from City of Bones even though he's gay. And I wouldn't recomend it for you.It's slightly cliche but not that much,demon hunters,vampires,werewolves,gay sparkly dudes,demons and a brother and sister who're in love with eachother...ok so it's not that cliche.

I REALLY don't mind cliches all that much, it's just that when people say that something is the most original, creative story they've ever read, when in fact it has been done a zillion times before, I get a little ticked.

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ghost_x1000 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:03 pm

... Best... Rant... Ever!

Yes! Finally, someone who understands what I've had to go through. And... I hate to break it to you, but it's not only girls gushing over this book. For some reason, most of the guys I know are in love with it too. Which is way over the average "creepy level".

((EDIT: I removed my whole rant simply that this isn't the place for it. Besides, no rant I can write can do justice to how bad the twilight series was/is/likely will be in the future.))
Last edited by Ghost_x1000 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost_x1000
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:10 pm

OMG thank you.

I didn't know Bella neutralized the original coven by herself. Like I said, I stopped reading. Though, I might read just so I can make fun of it. That seems petty, though, and also a waste of time, so I prolly won't.

And true that about the movie. It definitely can't get any worse.

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:11 pm

LALAshesang wrote:And true that about the movie. It definitely can't get any worse.

Eragon

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:16 pm

OMGSH you have no idea the hatred I have for that whole series.

When I found out that there was going to be a movie, and that Garrett Hedlund (the lovely man in my avatar) was going to be in it. I read the book.

It was painful. I felt like Paolini was trying FAR too hard. And one thing that really bothered me was the he uses REALLY difficult, elevated words (no, that's not what bothered me) more than once on the same page. It's probably crazy that that bothers me, but to me it doesn't say that he's smart, it says that he grabbed a thesaurus and threw words in there because he wanted to seem smart.

And THEN I read Eldest ... only to discover that Murtagh (the only reason I read) was only on the last four pages or so. I WAS ecstatic that he beat Eragon, though. However, I know Paolini is going to turn him back to good, and that's depressing. So, I refuse to read Brasingr until it becomes available in my school library.

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Gyar, you avoided my point. Have you seen the movie?

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Yes, I did. Sorry, I get that way sometimes.

And I'm not allowed to say too many awful things about it because Garrett was in it. He was actually not that bad, if you ask me.

However, they basically left out half of the story, and left no room for the sequel, which prolly isn't a bad thing ...

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!