Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas » Empty Skies » Does Mind Affect the World? » I have an announcement. » Iskjerne Ballad by dealing_with_it » Viking Music / Norse Songs - Germanic Paganism » Capitalism » Panspermia: a Case for Cordyceps » The Ethics on owning a Housepet » I just really had to share this plot idea. » Materialism » Satire & Comedy » Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? »

Players Wanted: OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted » DEAD! » Looking for new RP Buddy(s)! » Sands of Oblivion » Looking for Role Players to join an active universe » Looking for Empire of Cendalia Players » Seeking Roleplayers for The Isekai Wonderland Project » Hadean The Brave - Fresh Blood » Just a trophy of status - long term, story focus! » Kingdom come looking for roleplayers » The Last Dragon! » Roleplay Return for 1 x 1 » Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner »

Underground (Dystopian Fantasy Idea)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Underground (Dystopian Fantasy Idea)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadowAeryn on Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:41 pm

The Underground.

You may have once known it as a complicated system of fast trains. A means of transportation. In some places it was called the subway.

But it hasn’t been that way in years. Constant wars around the world made the land above uninhabitable. Unless you like toxic air, ruined buildings just waiting to collapse, and pollution clouds thicker than pea soup, that is. Now the Undergrounds around the world are communities of nightclubs, specialty shops and other things that a normal person wouldn’t want in THEIR neighbourhood. But for freaks like me, the Underground is home. And since the wars, there are nothing BUT freaks around here. Things you would read about in books and see in movies are all too real down here. Along with things no one could ever dream of, no matter how ‘imaginative’ they are.

This is not to say the Underground is safe. In some places it is, but wander into the maze of tunnels and you’re in no man’s land. Trust me, you don’t want to meet anyone down there. Dollars to donuts, their intentions are not trustworthy or honourable if they’re skulking about in there. Usually in the ‘cities’, old train stations and open tunnel areas where we’ve built our clubs and shops, it’s pretty safe. But there’s always some joker who wants to cause trouble or a big wig from another town trying to muscle in.

That’s where I come in. My name’s Angel. I guess you could call me border patrol. I live in a city called The District. Yeah yeah, creative name, yada yada. But it’s probably the safest place you can be as it’s one of the bigger communities. You can find darn near anything here; there are more shops here than aboveground London ever had. Anyway, I live above and own Featherlight, one of the clubs downtown. I’m also the regular singer there, but I moonlight as your friendly border patrol. I keep the peace in The District and any other places that need my help. Sometimes aggressive negotiations are necessary, but usually I can settle things quickly either way. You might think it’s a lot of work for one person, but hey, it’s a living. Besides, I prefer to work alone, unless you count my trusty gunblade Bloodwing. Partners or posses would just slow me down. Not to mention trust is not exactly a luxury I can afford most times. Almost everyone has a hidden agenda down here. Staying out of sight won’t keep you safe, and trying to blend in and be normal is suicide, not to mention impossible. It’s very rare that you see freaks of a feather flocking together. Most times groups are gangs and thugs that you don’t really wanna be a part of. Any pairs you see are different species. No two alike. No one is ‘normal’ here.

It’s being ‘normal’ that can get you killed.

(What do you all think? Any interest? Let me know if you have any questions ^^ I can see this being a larger group roleplay, but for right now, we can just plan and figure things out.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ShadowAeryn
Member for 7 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: Underground (Dystopian Fantasy Idea)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragonrogue on Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:31 pm

This sounds interesting and has a lot of potential. How imaginative are you thinking of going in terms of the freaks? Where do you see the story going?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dragonrogue
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadowAeryn on Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:04 pm

Dragonrogue wrote:This sounds interesting and has a lot of potential. How imaginative are you thinking of going in terms of the freaks? Where do you see the story going?

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it, Dragonrogue (awesome name, btw~)! This was actually one of my only dabblings into Dystopian plot and story, so I'm glad it has potential ^^

The original story, I only remember that a lot of the characters that had bird wings (this was in my Maximum Ride/Flock phase XD) but for this, I can see broadening the horizons exponentially, letting people really use their imaginations ^^ I will keep Angel's original mutation, which was the wings, because it suits her name and her overall story, but I think aside from that, the sky is the limit. The idea is that they mutated because of all the chemical wars and such. So...I don't know that I can think of a limit XD I think the only thing I could say as a limit is don't make anyone OP XD

For the original story, there was an 'overall' government in the Underground and they're actually hiding that Aboveground is not really as bad as Angel says in her intro... This comes to light when a new creature appears in the Underground. I didn't have any ideas for appearance or anything, I just knew that they were dangerous and taking over. So Angel and her group that she gains through the story actually investigated about Aboveground and discovered that the leaders were hiding that the real world had healed quite a bit over the years and was lush and habitable, in favour of keeping everyone underground, where it's easier to control and rule them...That was the original story. But it can definitely be played with because I barely remember most of the details...I think they're hidden somewhere on a USB or external hard drive somewhere >.< If I find them, I'll see if they still work for this. Otherwise, we can totally just play with the idea.

What do you think?

ShadowAeryn
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragonrogue on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm glad you like my name XD! I really like your picture. I haven't been able to find the right picture and the one I have as you can see is small XD.

You are doing good for one of your only ones dabbling into Dystopian plot and story. The overall government in the Underground hiding the truth about Aboveground sounds like a good middle/final plot at the end and I like how you decided to have it come to light when a new creature comes and takes over. But at least in the beginning I think it would be fun to explore and set up the world where everyone has a hidden agenda and trying to be normal is suicide. Probably have all/most of the characters have a hidden agenda that comes up. You probably meant it like that and I misinterpreted the order.

In your first posts you also mentioned there being other communities as well as other places that need Angel's help. Do you plan to have that play apart of the story? Also does Angel work as the border patrol as a part something she just does (Like a vigilante for lack of a better term)? Or does she do it with the officials as a consultant or volunteer or paid employee? And if she is a consultant/volenteer/paid employee is there others who do the same thing bu just stays out of her way? Or if she just does it does the government have any officials that gets in the way or helps?

Maybe have the characters describe the new creatures as brightly colored, like the poison dart frog to symbolize how dangerous they are as well as the lusher and habitable Aboveground? Are you thinking the creatures as one species or a type of different creatures? (like mythical creatures can be classified as humanoid, chimera, etc.)

I also want to make sure you had a fair warning that large group role plays have trouble finding dedicated role players that stick around till the end. Most of the role plays that I have been in have died due to most of the players disappearing. With that said I'll make sure to stick around till the end.

And for the mutations I guess I will have to forget about the fanged cat-like creature with wings and a scorpion's tail that can kill you just by looking at you XD, but I think I can make do.

What do you think about what i mentioned? It's a lot, but I thought of more questions this time.

Dragonrogue
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadowAeryn on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Dragonrogue wrote:I'm glad you like my name XD! I really like your picture. I haven't been able to find the right picture and the one I have as you can see is small XD.

You are doing good for one of your only ones dabbling into Dystopian plot and story. The overall government in the Underground hiding the truth about Aboveground sounds like a good middle/final plot at the end and I like how you decided to have it come to light when a new creature comes and takes over. But at least in the beginning I think it would be fun to explore and set up the world where everyone has a hidden agenda and trying to be normal is suicide. Probably have all/most of the characters have a hidden agenda that comes up. You probably meant it like that and I misinterpreted the order.

In your first posts you also mentioned there being other communities as well as other places that need Angel's help. Do you plan to have that play apart of the story? Also does Angel work as the border patrol as a part something she just does (Like a vigilante for lack of a better term)? Or does she do it with the officials as a consultant or volunteer or paid employee? And if she is a consultant/volenteer/paid employee is there others who do the same thing bu just stays out of her way? Or if she just does it does the government have any officials that gets in the way or helps?

Maybe have the characters describe the new creatures as brightly colored, like the poison dart frog to symbolize how dangerous they are as well as the lusher and habitable Aboveground? Are you thinking the creatures as one species or a type of different creatures? (like mythical creatures can be classified as humanoid, chimera, etc.)

I also want to make sure you had a fair warning that large group role plays have trouble finding dedicated role players that stick around till the end. Most of the role plays that I have been in have died due to most of the players disappearing. With that said I'll make sure to stick around till the end.

And for the mutations I guess I will have to forget about the fanged cat-like creature with wings and a scorpion's tail that can kill you just by looking at you XD, but I think I can make do.

What do you think about what i mentioned? It's a lot, but I thought of more qustions this time.

Thank you! I found my pic on Pinterest actually, and resized it on Paint XD It was hard to pick one that suited me, but I figured, what better than a library for a writer? ^^ Your dragon image is really cool though~ My dad loves dragons and got me into them too XD

Thank you for the compliment ^^ I was a little nervous about this idea because I'm not SUPER well versed in Dystopia, as it is not one of my favourite genres. I agree with the idea that the questioning the authority comes in later, although I think I had hints of it in the beginning in the original, but nothing too terribly foreshadowing...

In the original actually, one of the other characters (Shadow) who came to ask Angel for her help, was from the Everglades Region (Underground of Florida) and another character who worked in the Featherlight was originally from the Empire Sector (Underground of New York) so yes, there were definitely other communities at work in the story, but they...hadn't played a HUGE part in it. I would LOVE to change that and make the world of Underground that much bigger.

For Angel's job, again, I've lost the notes, but from what I recall she was more on the vigilante/freelance side than working for any specific company. It's like she said in her intro, she works alone cos working with anyone would just slow her down. She does have her own backstory reason for wanting to work alone, but it's kinda dramatic, so I may make changes...but anyways, yes, she's more a vigilante than an employee, if that makes sense. In the original there were other Peacemakers (as they were known, that name will probably change in this), and the idea, I think, was that they all came together to save the people of Underground... and that was super cheesy, so we can play with that too.

Huh, I hadn't really thought about that...I think in the original they were more humanoid, but I kinda like the idea that they're actually more animalistic and therefore very much harder to control...and also gives more reason to think 'wait, is the Aboveground habitable then?' cos the idea was that NOTHING lived Aboveground. Everything was dead cos of the chemicals and toxins... So I like the idea of them being...kinda mutated animals...maybe they poked out into the Aboveground as regular animals before it was fully healed, so they still mutated, but were able to live Aboveground...idk, we can definitely play there.

I have had this happen and we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it. We can adapt it to a smaller group, write characters out IF NEEDED and alter the story to suit the number of people. And if it dies, it dies. Nothing to be done if an RP is well and truly dead, but we'll try to keep it from being so ^^ I also have a PLETHORA of ideas and dabblings that can be made into new RPs if one dies. I have one I'm working on with a more Steampunky fantasy feel, if you're interested in that :) The interest check should be up in the next few days, give or take. ANYWAYS, not gonna harp on that. Point is, we'll see how everything goes. If it dies, then so be it. But I think there are enough ways to keep it from the RP graveyard for a while at least ^^ Who knows? It might actually be the first story/RP I get to see through to the end! XD But I'm okay either way, on that note. I am glad that you'll be sticking around though, I think we'll work well together ^^

I honestly love in depth feedback and I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply, this was in between other things and thinking/wording things out right XD I really do love this kind of brainstorming though, because it goes into the little details as well as the big important stuff, and I really enjoy fleshing out my worlds and characters, so this is actually really awesome for me ^^ Thank you very much for helping with all this planning~

(I apologise for the long rambly post, I really need to work on my rambling ^^; )

ShadowAeryn
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragonrogue on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks! It`s always nice to meet another dragon lover. What is one of your favorite ways dragons are portrayed? I liked how the book Seraphina portrayed them.

Hints are always good. they keep you guessing what is going to happen and keep you invested in the future if they are done smart enough.

I agree its cheesy, but having others at least at first glance that thought of the same thing as her or copied what she was doing isn`t a bad idea. Maybe having it like a government task force or a corrupt guild-like force.

For the separate communities maybe have them controlled by the same government or have the characters visit to find something or someone. That`s the only way i can really see them interacting right now, but you will probably find a better way.

Agreed. I`m glad you think we`ll work well together. If you`ll have me them i would be glad to join the Steampunk one as well. I haven`t had much experience with Steampunk yet, but I`d be willing to try if you can excuse my lack of experience :)

I`m sorry it took me so long to reply this time as well. I enjoy this type of brainstorming as well and the best stories have every detail fleshed out.I`m just glad I could help.

( I tend to ramble sometimes as well too ;)

Dragonrogue
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragonrogue on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:42 pm

I realize that I didn't put any really to respond to in my last post. I can't really think of much too add, but wanted to check on how the roleplay was going. If you still need help planning then I'm willing.

Dragonrogue
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadowAeryn on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Dragonrogue wrote:Thanks! It`s always nice to meet another dragon lover. What is one of your favorite ways dragons are portrayed? I liked how the book Seraphina portrayed them.

Hints are always good. they keep you guessing what is going to happen and keep you invested in the future if they are done smart enough.

I agree its cheesy, but having others at least at first glance that thought of the same thing as her or copied what she was doing isn`t a bad idea. Maybe having it like a government task force or a corrupt guild-like force.

For the separate communities maybe have them controlled by the same government or have the characters visit to find something or someone. That`s the only way i can really see them interacting right now, but you will probably find a better way.

Agreed. I`m glad you think we`ll work well together. If you`ll have me them i would be glad to join the Steampunk one as well. I haven`t had much experience with Steampunk yet, but I`d be willing to try if you can excuse my lack of experience :)

I`m sorry it took me so long to reply this time as well. I enjoy this type of brainstorming as well and the best stories have every detail fleshed out.I`m just glad I could help.

( I tend to ramble sometimes as well too ;)

I am so sorry! Things in real life have been getting out of hand and it's been messing with my creative side >.<

I honestly like any portrayal of dragons as long as they aren't fierce looking western dragons with butterfly wings...We used to buy my dad dragon statues for xmas or birthdays, but one time we went to look for new ones and they had made these horrid creations of western dragons with like...monarch butterfly wings...I was just...no. If it's a fae dragon, it can have like...transparent type insect wings, but butterfly wings...no...those belong on Faeries and butterflies. Sorry, rant over. I do like how the dragons were portrayed in The Librarians, if you have seen that show ^^

Yeah, I think that's why I had done it in the first place, to kind of keep the reader...well, reading.

I think in the original story the Peacekeepers were a big group of people, bounty hunters and the like...I REALLY need to find these notes >.< It'll have everything, I'm sure...I know that another Peacekeeper was visiting Angel to ask for her help on something, I think...

Haha, I'm glad you're glad ^^ As for the Steampunk roleplay it'll be more...Steampunk/Pirate/Fantasy than straight Steampunk...I'm planning on posting it today, so keep an eye out, see if it sounds interesting~

As I said above, my turn to apologise, real life got a little out of hand... Thank you so much for helping me with this!

ShadowAeryn
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dragonrogue on Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:00 am

No problem. Real life happens.

I can agree about the butterfly wings. They just look so.. wrong. I like how they were portrayed in The Librarians although I do wish they showed up more.

I enjoyed helping you. If there is anything else you need help with, just ask.

Dragonrogue
Member for 9 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!