Announcements: Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Presuppositionalism » Aphantasia » Skill Trees - Good, Bad & Ugly » In-Game Gods & Gameplay Impact » Cunningham's Law » The Tribalism of Religion » Lost Library » Game Theory » The Hidden Void » Removing CS From an Indy Universe : Solution » On the Matter of New Players and Orphaned Plays » STOP BLAMING US FOR RPG BEING SLOW! » Polytheism » The Game of Life » Just War » Science and Philosophy » The Bible as Literature » Humans in the MV. Questions and thoughts. » Surviving the post-holiday apocalypse. » SL: 1097 Bestiary of Monsters »

Players Wanted: Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. » Looking for Kamen Rider Players » Elysium » Looking for roleplayers for a dystopian past! » Revamping Fantasy Adventure RPG, need new players » Here, At the End of the World (supernatural mystery drama) » Seeking Role Players for a TOG Based RP » so I made a Stranger Things RP idk why not come join » LFP - New Roleplay » Gifted/Mutant individuals escaping the gov » Spaceship Zero! A retro horror sci fi RP with rayguns :D »

Magefire: The March of Progress

Magefire: The March of Progress

0 INK

In the Empire of Valon, magic has been brought under control. It is directed, manipulated like electricity. The people live a life of safety and privilege...but what is the cost? Where does the power come from?

899 readers have visited Magefire: The March of Progress since VitaminHeart created it.

Introduction

Image


The Empire of Valon stretches for hundreds and hundreds of miles, from the wind-battered glaciers of the northern wastes, to the warm, crystal clear southern sea. It has stood in a place of power and influence for centuries....though that has by no means been an easy task. The historical archives tell tales of many bloody, drawn out wars. The people of Valon had to wrest their territories not only from other kings and armies, but from the savage workings of nature itself. They had to drive out the beasts, the magical monsters and the wicked spirits...and once thery had it they had been tasked with defending it, trying to avoid being drowned by kelpies or having their children stolen away by a manticore.

That was all in the past however. The New Empress, who rose to power but a few short years before, brought with her an enormous amount of change. The Empire was happy to declare to its citizens that no longer would they have to fear the strange creatures of the wilds.

Where humanfolk once feared magic and monsters which were a constant threat, the advent of Esoteric Technology has allowed them to turn the wild, untamed force into Magefire, something that benefits their everyday lives. It is used like electricity, affording them light, heat, transport, and devices which save them labour. For the majority, life within the Empire of Valon has never been better...

...but for some it has come at a terrible cost. Magic is now a commodity. Something to be controlled, to be bought at sold. Those of magical talent are expected to serve the Empress or face imprisonment, beasts of magic have been driven back onto reserves in the far corners, or shut away as dangerous animals, and the advent of Magefire, the new powersource, has led to increasingly disturbing activities in order to draw power, including the use of the dragon Rah'von to power the palace.

Some wish to destroy the establishment that condoned such things, but that would return the world to the times of fear and darkness. Good and evil have ceased to have the meaning that they once did. The fight is no longer between good and bad. It is instead a battle between preservation and progress.

Image



-----------
Hi there, this is Magefire and is a medieval/slightly steampunk fantasy written by me. I've set things out to be fairly open to being with, so I'm not going to pre-determine characters off the bat, unless people want me to. I'd rather try and unite the plot up around the characters we have present, hence why this page is comparatively short.


Also: Before submitting a character it may be a good idea to go and have a look through 'The Explicarium' thread. This contains various details on some of the aspects of Valonian life, and might be helpful reference for creating a character. It's mostly supplementary stuff and I don't expect you to read it all religiously, but you might want to glance over the relevant topics.

If there's anything I've yet to cover that you want some detail on, or if you have some other question, don't hesitate to PM me or ask on the general OOC .:3

- Vit
Your GM/ Writer of The Explicarium/ Reptilian Overlord


-------------


Character Skeleton

Stuff in the brackets is just notes on filling out, and you're free to delete all that.

Code: Select all
[center][img](Image URL goes here.)[/img] (An image isn't needed, but feel free to add one if you want one in. Otherwise, you can delete this bit.)

    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Full Name:[/b][/size][/color]

    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Nicknames/Aliases:[/b][/size][/color]  (Anything else they might go by.)

    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Age:[/b][/size][/color]

    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Gender:[/b][/size][/color] (Self-explanatory.)

       [color=#000000][size=100][b]Species:[/b][/size][/color] (What are they? Many humanoid species exist in Valon and tend to live together reasonably well. There is quite a lot of interbreeding, so many have the blood of elf, or orc or similar at some point. )

[color=#000000][size=100][b]Occupation:[/b][/size][/color]


    [color=#000000][size=100][b] Description:[/b][/size][/color] (What do they look like? Even if you've got a picture, a bit of writing would be nice.)

    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Personality:[/b][/size][/color] (A brief outline of their demeanour.)

   
    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Skills:[/b][/size][/color] (Things they can do that set them above others. It could be a magical power, it could be something more mundane like first aid or cookery experience.)

    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Weaknesses:[/b][/size][/color] (Achilles' Heels that can be exploited by their enemies.)

 
    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Brief History:[/b][/size][/color] (Any notable events in their background that might have shaped them. If you don't want to reveal too much, that's fine.)



    [color=#000000][size=100][b]Other:[/b][/size][/color] [/center] (Anything else you think everyone needs to know about your character.)

Toggle Rules

The GM of this roleplay hasn't created any rules! You can do whatever you like!

The Story So Far... Write a Post » as written by 6 authors

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Maeve Winterborn
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

There was an awful lot that could be said for the march of progress. It was something that many of the esoteric researchers were only too quick to point out when people began to get sentimental.

Since the reign of the empress had begun, the blanket of fear and superstition that had once covered Valon had been gradually lifted away, into a new and enlightened age of understanding.

They could understand how magic worked. They could enhance and control it, focus it and use it as power. The force that had once seen the species of Valon cowed and terrified had become a means for them to better their lives.

Through one of the high, vaulted glass windows it was possible to see out into the blue pre-dawn, where the eerie glimmer of the magelights that lined the streets of the capital swayed in the wind. Winter was beginning to draw in, though to the inhabitants of the city, such a thing held little fear. The enchanted gardens allowed food to be grown all year round.

A few inhabitants already awake and heading to their places of work trod along the cobbles, attempting to keep out of the path of the golems. The hulking, metallic figures in question plodded through the streets with brooms and cleaning cloths, the magelights glinting off their bronze shells and immobile masks. Children often shied away from the constructs, though few of the adult inhabitants of Valon batted an eyelid any longer to their presence. They had become a fixture, yet another great gift provided by the new governance.

It couldn't be blamed on them, it was natural enough to wish for comfort over hardship, and under the influence of those who dwelled up in the palace, the people never seemed to face any sort of difficulty..to the point that they neglected to ask very important questions.

The insides of the palace were probably not what most would imagine...well..below the ground floor at any rate. A great deal of effort had been taken into preserving the old features above, though the installation of esoteric power had proved a challenge, and meant that the old dungeons and storage rooms had had to be drastically remodelled.

The chamber could not have been more than one floor below the ground, if the small windows were anything to go by. It had been built to minimize sound, though it appeared they did not feel that they had much to hide regarding the power even if it were somewhat...distasteful to individuals.

A few magelights burned overhead in the large domed room, the copper-plated door left somewhat ajar.

At the front, a haphazardly dressed figure paced back and forth, wringing their hands.

The individual appeared to be a woman in her late twenties, rather unimpressive in stature, bearing the look of someone who had far too much on their mind. Her dark blonde hair was tied back rather messily, and seemed somewhere in need of a wash, reflecting the lights in a rather unappealing manner. She looked a little on the pale side, eyes deep-set and cheek bones rather high. It was possible there was some elf in the family, but it was clearly quite a way back.

She was dressed in a collection of ill-matching, and admittedly rather cheap
clothes, her outfit seeming to have been assembled by committee, and more than enough to demonstrate that she couldn't have been there as a guest of the empress or any of the council members that dwelt within the building.

No, Maeve was there as a matter of...what was it...obligation? Guilt? Some manner of foolish optimism that her presence might be of help? No...it wasn't exactly any of them.. it was more that it was the only thing she could do. The Order was gone. The schools of magic were scattered, and the mythical creatures were and hidden in fear of falling prey to the Esoterics. She was pretty certain there was not likely to be some great uprising. So this was, in some way, Maeve's only way of showing the people what she was, or what she had once been at any rate...regardless of how painful it was.

The sharp-featured woman turned and walked toward the centre, feeling her stomach twisting into knots at the sight of the shape, forlornly suspended from the centre of the dome by a considerable number of cables and ropes. It was an enormous shape, four legs and a pair of once imposing wings that lay in tatters, suspended out unfolded nearly to their full extent by hooks set into the ceiling. Numerous pipes, cables, and lengths of semi-transparent tubing rose in a complex web from its back and neck, set into fissures cut in between the creature's scales.


Set around the creature's ribs a metallic claw issued upwards, sinking into the scaleless tissue on its chest, emitting a low hum associated with large machinery as it ran, the central column seeming to glow a yellow-green shade.

This, this...travesty was the fate of the dragon Rah'von. His life force had powered the lights of the palace for approaching five years, and Maeve of the Mists, once a rider of considerable renown, found herself nothing but an inconsequential figure in it all.

Where were the others? Other dragon riders? She didn't know. Maybe they'd suffered the same fate. The bond had weakened over the years, but it still didn't allow her much further than the city gates. They could all be gone for what she knew, or the news of the terrible fate that might await those of great magical power might have scared them away.

The woman dropped to her knees beside the head of the once great creature and ran a hand over the dull scales. There was no reverence for them anymore.

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

It was a crisp morning with a slight breeze as Savorin approached the gates of The Capital. The gates appeared to be made from a large stone slab, with strange lanterns hanging from the arch that allowed one to know where the gates were from anywhere you could see the outer walls. What was even stranger than the lanterns was the fact that the doors appeared to be made of stone and steel, far to heavy for a team of zarc, not to mention humans.

As Savorin rode his vizzok within a couple hundred feet, his mount began to hiss and buck. With a few sharp movements, the beast fearfully walked towards the gate. Savorin could only guess at what could make the normally fearless predator cower like a wolf pup.

Upon reaching the gate, Savorin was approached by two guards dressed in the in the most recent armors with blades that only a noble could afford. They looked at Savorin, who's ride is short enough to bring him below the guards' eye level, and spoke, "What business does a lizard have among humans?" The harmony in which they spoke sounded not only well practiced, but like one was controlling the other somehow, but neither of them looked controlled to Savorin.

"The Peross have deemed it imperative that the capital is watched as many ancient treaties are in need of renewal." Savorin replied, ensuring to speak as nobly and perfect as possible. It always caught humans off guard when he spoke that way. Even the two guards gave a moments look at each other, as if choreographed. The guard on the right then knocked twice on the door, before saying "Stay out of trouble, lizard."

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

There was a chill in the air in the morning as Tryniszka Vosk casually made her way along the forest road that led towards the Capital of Valon. Having spent the past six months in the icy north, she didn't mind the cold breeze, and the moderate climate of the capital was a blessing, even on the cold days. She eschewed her rider's armor for a more unassuming leather coat and linen shirt and trousers, underneath a simple traveler's cloak, which served more to conceal her fine blade, Vetr, than keep her warm.

As Tryn ambled along the path, she gazed upwards at the trees, their branches swaying slightly in the breeze. Through the leaves she could see bits of sky peeking through, natural sunlight trickling down and illuminating the road in patches. Ankh, her dragon, remained at their camp, a few miles back and off the beaten path. This trip to town was purely to test the waters and poke around. There would come a time when she would ride Ankh in to the heart of the city and display her in all of her glory, but until then, Tryn would take no risks.

Approaching the city from the north, the trees began to get further and further apart, and soon enough she stood at the edge of the forest proper. In front of her stretched a valley of mostly farms and crossed with roads and streams. Boulders dotted the landscape, deposited by glaciers in ages long past. At the center of the valley, perhaps two miles off, Tryn beheld the Capital. Towering above the rest of the city, the palace stood as a mountain stood; firm, an imposing sovereign looked to by the city's inhabitants as a guide, a provider, a protector, and though they often forgot, a master.

Tryn took a moment to appreciate the sight. As much as she despised what it stood for, she couldn't deny it's stark beauty, and half a decade away had dulled her memories of the place. Her reverie finished, she set into the valley, her pace quicker now. As she neared the walls, she took note of the mark that Magefire technology had left on the city. The gates were steel and stone, obviously powered by Magefire, and powered lanterns dotted the battlements. Two guardsmen approached her as she came to the gate, probably the children of some noble or other. This close to the city, being a guard was a relatively comfortable job. Bandits weren't much of a problem, and no magical beast dared venture too close. Had Tryn desired to force her way in, she doubted that these two louts could do much to stop her.

"Halt!" Shouted one from a few paces away, his voice the exact mix of youth, zealousness, and entitlement she had expected. "What business have you in the city?"

"I'm here to visit an old friend, haven't seen her in years." She wore the most innocent face she could, and the guard nodded. She wondered if they ever actually turned anyone away. After all, no one who wished to cause trouble would announce it to the guards. With the heavy gates, the guards seemed a rather pointless fixture, probably more for decorum than practicality. The guard knocked on the gate, signalling to whoever controlled the gate mechanism to open it.

"Very well then, keep out of trouble."

Tryn smiled and nodded, and made her way into the city.

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

Being inside the city was amazing to Savorin. From the hundreds of faces that he could see, towering more than a half-foot above the rest of the crowd after he had left his vizzok in the stables on the right as soon as you come in. They all moved so quickly about, heading to their various places. And then their were the two buildings right next to gates, a guard house and a market, along with several little stands spread across the buildings' walls. One even look to sell meat, something that Savorin deemed he should keep mental track of.

The people caught even more of Savorin's attention as they scurried around him, some of their flat, rounded faces filled with fear. The people seemed to fill every space that wasn't taken up by walls. As he looked around Savorin just couldn't get over the fact that their were so many people.

Then his mind drifted back to the walls. Some, that he could see, were made of wood, while most were made of stone. In the swamps, almost everything was made of wood. Savorin wondered how the city didn't sink into the ground when it rained. He could tell this place was drier than the swamp, but he had yet to see rain and was clueless as to what it would do to the dirt beneath him.




A little over a half hour had passed, an Savorin had not gotten to the next street from the gates. He had spent fifteen of that in a mix of gawking and trying to figure out why the humans gave him a small birth. After he had sated enough curiosity to move, Savorin had visited the meat stall, getting everything from the types of meat to their prices. As he began to walk to another stall, a familiar large, grinding sound came from his left. The gates opened and a small and sharp faced "human" walked in from the outside. She spiked Savorin's interest once again, and his mind left him no choice.

Through the thick crowd, Savorin made his way to the human like creature with the sharp features who came into the gate. Within a minute, he stood in front of her, his large, black chest of scales potentially a little closer than comfort range, but the other humans didn't seem to care.

Looking down as the one before him, Savorin asked, in as polite and respectful a voice as he could muster, "Why are you different? Are you from a distant area? Are you not human?" As he spoke, Savorin's eyes blazed with curiosity, and he stood tall and proud, but also comfortably loose.

Setting

Characters Present

No characters tagged in this post!

Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

The capital was bustling as usual as shadows of figures passed back and forth in front of her shop's glass window. Heavy curtains covered many of the window panes, allowing only a faint stream of sunlight to chase away the murky blackness of the shop. One could almost assume the shop was abandoned as a multitude of spiderwebs lined the corners of the room in a variety of sizes. The most intricate of webbing sat right above the shop's door, one could almost see flashes of red within its sticky substance..a trick of the light of course. The cheerful jingle of the bell stationed above the door broke the tranquil silence signaling the arrival of a guest, a shifty-looking man dressed in a full length cloak, shielding his face from the public eye as his boots stamped noisily on the wood floor below in a nervous manner.

"If you could close the door please.." A voice came to his ears in almost a whisper, it seemed louder in the quiet room as the man's hand drifted to the hilt at his waist as if the voice belonged to that of a ferocious beast waiting to pounce on unsuspecting traveler. A faint giggle came from the darkness "I didn't mean to frighten you..I am just accustomed to a little less light..I forgot humans are so reliant on that in the darkness, one moment please". There was a faint hissing sound and the scent of sulfur as a candle was lit and set down on..the counter? Hesitantly, the man shuffled forward a few feet bumping into something, feeling around before sitting down in what he confirmed to be a chair. There was a small squeak as the chair across the table was pulled out and quickly occupied by a feminine figure, as a single gloved hand wiggled a finger over the candle's flame..causing it grow slightly larger and brighter. A sigh escaped the mystery woman as her chair squeaked in protest as she left for a brief moment before returning with something in her hands..something furry-looking with eight legs. The man's face paled slightly as the woman stroked the rat-sized spider's head with a finger before whispering "Go on then..please...". The spider seemed to nod in agreement before scuttling off towards the wall as flashes of crimson began to appear faintly...then within minutes remained present casting a dim, but larger area of light over the table.

~The spider web is...glowing?~ The man thought as the spider settled itself just above the table in the center of its web. Yes, it was true as faint crimson light came from the webbing. Struggling to find his tongue as a multitude of questions flew through his mind, while the woman just gave a small smile before clapping her hands together, obediently the slide descended into her waiting palms looking..smug as spider could be. Gently setting the spider down on the table, the woman withdrew something from her dress pocket placing it on the table "Here is your order..now do remember this is our secret and tell only those you trust..Or well..I am afraid I won't have a repeat costumer". All this was said in a bizarrely cheerful voice as the man nodded before rushing out the door with his purchase clutched in his palm. It was merely a simple woven bracelet with a strand of fire element in it..it would merely allow him minor control over small flames such as candles, extremely useful during his break-ins as a thief. He did deserve that gift after all he did wander into the web of the Black Widow and live to tell the tale..a beer or several were in order..

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic Character Portrait: Virtus Trevand Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk Character Portrait: Aviditas Trevand
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

#, as written by CutUp
"Huuuuuuhhhhhhh." Virtus sighed as he and his brother rode on some dirt path past some farmland in a beaten up old carriage pulled by two horses. One was a chestnut color, and the other was snow white. Aviditas just ignored his brother's sighs as they continued on. Virtus continued to sigh, and started to whistle out of tune. "Stop it." Aviditas demanded in his commanding voice. Virtus began to make other various noises as they continued on. "Stop it." Aviditas ordered again. "Come on Avi! I'm bored! Let's stop and rob one of these farms!" Virtus suggested. He doesn't handle waiting very well. "Why would we want to rob a bunch of farmers? They have nothing we want." Aviditas stated. "For the thrills of course!" Aviditas replied with a disapproving grunt.

They were about a mile away from the capital's gates when Aviditas pulled the cart over to the side of the road. "Cover up the weapons with those wolf pelts." He ordered as he grabbed two black cloaks from the back of the cart. "It wouldn't kill you to say please." Virtus muttered as he did what he was told. He covered up his swords, bow, and his brother's axe, and shield. It was best to travel with your weapons hidden as not to arouse suspicion.

"Here, put this on." Aviditas said as he tossed one of the cloaks at his brother. The cloak landed on his head. He took the cloak off his head, and threw it on. "You know, I get that we need to travel in secret and all that. But doesn't it look suspect for two men to be wearing hoods?" Virtus sarcastically asked. Aviditas just glared at him in response. "Very well. I hate going into to big cities like this. It's a crime to be force to hid these devilishly good looks." He smirked. Aviditas just rolled his eyes in response, and pulled on the reins, making the horses to move forward.

Once they reached the gates, the guards stopped, as expected. "What business do ye have in the city?" One of the guards asked. Virtus cleared his throat before he answered. "We are humble hunters as you can see. We come to trade our furs. Would any of you fine gents be interested?" Virtus asked in his most suave voice. While Aviditas was clearly the brains and muscle of their operation, Virtus was the face. The guardsman took a quick look at the back of the cart before he waved them on through.

They entered the city, and Virtus gazed around the city. It's been roughly a year since they've been here. Aviditas pulled the carriage over to a small, slightly beat up looking home near the markets. This was one of their many safe houses across the nation. They try to keep at least one safe house in each of the major cities, along with a few cabins across the countryside. They hitched up the horses, and opened up the house. The house had a musty stench to it, one that shows it hasn't been used in awhile. "Ugh, I hate that old safe house smell." Virtus said as he started to bring some packs from the cart inside. The packs contained just some supplies so they can stay for a few days if need be.

"So where to first?" Virtus asked as he attached his sword's scabbard, and put his cloak back on above it. "We need to touch base with our contact. He'll meet with us at some tavern." Aviditas said as he also put on his shield and axe, and pulled his cloak over it. While it is obvious that they're hiding something under they're cloaks, but only if you were looking close enough you would notice.

As they walked through the marketplace, Virtus couldn't help but notice a big walking and talking lizard. "Hey, is that one of those swamp lizard men?" Virtus whispered to his brother. "They're called Zarc." Aviditas corrected. They've come across a many a different species. They don't know any sort of details of the races though, they just know what they look like, and a general area in which they hail. Virtus then noticed the elven girl he was talking to. "Oh she is cute!" Virtus exclaimed to his brother. "Don't even think about it."

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

Tryn's heart fluttered as she stepped through the gates and into the city proper. For the past five years, she had been primarily alone, save for her Dragon. Occasionally she would visit a village for supplies, but they had populations of a few hundred at best. There must have been at least five hundred people in the gate square alone. She supposed it was for the best. There were still people in the Capital who would recognize her, and so a large crowd made it easier to blend in and avoid drawing attention.

She hadn't made it more than twenty feet in when attention drew itself right up to her, in the form of a seven foot lizard. Standing in front of her, the Zarc towered more than a foot above her head, his chest trespassing dangerously close to her face as he stared down at her. Assuming some sort of challenge and not to be outdone, Tryn met his gaze with her own, and did not shy away from his imposing frame.

"Why are you different? Are you from a distant area? Are you not human?" His voice caught her off guard. It was polite, even, and calm. From his stance, she expected aggressive, and got respectful. It took her a moment to collect her thoughts. What kinds of questions are those? Does he start all his conversations like this? Ankh's warm, multifaceted voice resonated in her head. He's probably never seen an elf before. They rarely leave the swamps, remember? She didn't. The last time Tryn spoke to a Zarc was more than 50 years prior, and she'd forgotten their mannerisms.

"Uhhm," She spoke after a few painful, silent seconds, "What?" It still hadn't fully registered. "Why am I different? I'm an elf. Have you seriously never seen an elf before?" She took a step back and glanced around. The townspeople went about their business and pretended not to stare, but it was clear everybody was taking notice. She crossed her arms and began to tap her foot impatiently.

"Look, I'd love to answer all the questions you have about Elven anatomy, but I have things to do and people to find, so if you'd kindly excuse me, I must be going.

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

"I understand." Savorin spoke, obviously a little saddened by the fact that he couldn't get all the answers that he wanted, but he still spoke with respect and dignity. "May the spirits of the lost kinds guide you upon a favorable path." Savorin spoke again, with a slight hint of reverence before taking his leave. From how she spoke to him, it was obvious that the "elf," as she called herself, was a busy one.

It was this momentary separation from curiosity that reminded Savorin of what he was sent here for, to determine what the best course of action for the zarc was, whether it be peace, war, or removing the isolation that has kept them alive for so long. Such an analysis was not something that just one zarc could do, but it was his job to bring back the information for the Council to make the most effective decision.

Savorin looked up and around. He needed to know where the center of the government was. From his understanding, the humans where centralized in their way of thinking, something that made his job much easier. That was when he finally spotted the castle. It was a great mass of stone, a real sign to the humans' willingness to only look at their own benefit when they acted, something Savorin had yet to understand.

The zarc moved again among the crowd, forcing himself to ignore the majority of his curiosity. He could sate it later, but he needed to identify the humans level of technology and mentality, both would normally be discoverable from the point of centralization of an empire. In this case, the castle.

Finishing the walk with focus and a clear objective took little time for Savorin at all, mainly because the crowds parted for him. Upon reaching the castle, Savorin noted that unlike the gates to the city the castle's gates were made of very detailed wood, with some metal thrown in artistically.

"Halt, Lizard." The royal guard shouted. His regal armor and weapon showed great status, just as his stance showed experience, and his voice, loyalty. This startled Savorin, causing him to take a semi-aggressive stance in response, only to calm down when he noted that the guard had not drawn his weapon. "What business do you have at the castle?" The guard responded, calming down as well. Savorin stepped closer to the guard, this time he was moving much slower, as to not set the guard back to aggression.

"I am an Observer of the Peross tribe. I have come in the interest of the zarc to bring light to the world's current state, so that the Council can decide on whether or not to renew many ancient treaties with the Empire of Valon." Savorin said, not phasing the guard who hailed him, but surprising the noticeably younger guard who still stood at the gate.

The younger guard walked up, speaking before his much more well mannered co-guardsmen. "What are you, lizard? A super-genius of your kind?" The younger guard spoke with a grin like that of someone who believed they were the smartest creature in the world. Savorin simply responded by turning quickly towards the younger guard, raising his hand that wore his casting gauntlet and held his spear, and replied with "Do not underestimate your opponents. They may be more advanced than you." This time, Savorin let the nasally and hiss like natural form accent of the zarc. This surprised the young guard even more, and left him with one hell of a look of defeat. The older guard smiled, before saying "You may enter."

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic Character Portrait: Soren Hearthfire
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

#, as written by Cullen
Ah, what a wonderful city. Let's see what kind of coin I make off of you, hm? The elf swayed her hips, making her way up to the gates with a a grin slowly crawling upon her rosy lips. She was dressed in black, her eyes out of view from her hood. Soren knew she had drawn the attention of the guards, one walking up to her with a grim look. "Wench, why are you here? What do you seek past these gates?" He demanded and the petite elf barked a laugh. "Well, that's no way to talk to a woman." She sighed, looking up at him from her shrouded hood, "But alas, my business in this city is my own, now let me pass."

The man gave her a grimace and crossed his arms, his stance becoming rigid, "I have no reason to let you pass these gates, and I don't think I will." His comrade just watch in mirth, finding the situation rather amusing. How unfortunate She thought snidely to herself. "Maybe this will persuade you?" She asked, tossing the man a small coin purse, the bag making a pleasing sound as the guard caught it. He examined the bag before giving her a grin and letting her pass through. Guards can be bought, luckily they care for money just as I do.

The roads were busy, noblemen and woman seemed to walk around, completely ignoring the common rabble and she watched as one even stepped over a beggar. She gave a huff, turning and walking the other way. Whilst walking, she noticed an odd reptilian race, her eyebrow quirking up in a curious manner. While he was odd looking, she knew she looked more suspecious than he did. He seemed rather common,in a sense and she was very cloak-and-dagger. But again, she had her reasons. Cities like these didn't take kindly to oddly eyed girls. Turning away, Soren sauntered into the local tavern, sitting down and smirking. The place didn't look like it would house nobles, so she wasn't too concerened about prying higherups watching. Pulling off her hood, she ducked her head quickly, letting her bangs fall in front of her eyes as she made it harder to see their odd, pink color. The bartender walked over to her and she ordered a drink, "So what are the rumors about this place?" She asked the man. He was brusque, becoming rather chatty as elf had asked him a few questions. Sipping on the drink, she seemed to blend in rather well, and as much as she was thankful for that, she just wanted it to turn to nightfall. That's when her fun began.

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Maeve Winterborn Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk Character Portrait: Soren Hearthfire
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

Following the Zarc's departure, Tryn rejoined the bustling crowds making her way to her first destination, the tavern. The Drunk or Dead, as it was known, was owned by a former adventurer by the name of Ferrus Farragut, one of the few people Tryn had never managed to piss off. As she approached the tavern, she was pleased to see it in the same state of half-disrepair that it was when when she last visited. Ferrus, while excellent at brewing spirits, wasn't much for carpentry, and he only bothered to pay for repairs when there were more holes in the roof than wood. She was glad that here, at least, was not too much changed.

Tryn stepped into the bar casually, drawing attention from no one but the bartender, Ferrus himself, who was chatting up a young elf at the bar. When he saw her his eyes widened, he stopped in the middle of whatever exaggerated tale he was telling, and let the glass he was cleaning fall to the floor, shattering it.

"By all things holy and otherwise, I swear I'm not drunk yet! Tryn? When did you skulk back into town? Tryn smiled a genuine smile as she approached the bar and took a seat a stool down from the other elf.

"Just this morning, Ferrus. I'm here on particular business." She trusted Ferrus, but not any of his patrons. It was probably best to be vague, in case anyone was listening. "I'm looking for our friend. The one who stayed behind. Know where I can find her?

"Oh, aye," he nodded, obviously intrigued, "She's with him. His eyes darted up to the magefire lantern above their heads, and Tryn caught his meaning. Her dragon, kept in the palace and harnessed for energy. She felt Ankh's anger flare up at the thought of what they were doing to the other dragon.

"So it's true, then, what I've heard." She could feel the anger in herself rising up now. She wanted to believe the rumors were lies. "I need to speak with her, can you arrange it?"

"You don't need my help, Tryn. They aren't being kept a secret. Most people know, and don't care. You can walk right in and see them, if you want.

"What!?" she slammed her hand down on the bar, her voice raising. "They don't care? What sort of...of monsters would be okay with that? Ferrus placed his hand on her shoulder, but she shrugged it off and stood up, her voice trembling now. She didn't care that she was making a scene. She had assumed that the citizen's were guilty of only ignorance, but the fact that they knew what was going on and did nothing set something off within her. She took a breath, and when she spoke again, her voice was low, measured, and chillingly calm. "I will speak with her, and whether or not she wants to help, Ankh and I are going to put a stop to it. Thank you, Ferrus. You should take a vacation away from the city. You deserve it." Finished, Tryn turned and stormed out of the tavern, her next destination in mind.

The walk to the palace afforded Tryn much needed time to cool off, and Ankh dutifully reminded her that the guards would likely not let her inside if she was visibly upset. When she approached the gate, she was approached by two guards, an older man with a smug sense of satisfaction about him, and a younger one who looked rather shamed.

"Halt! What business do you have in the palace?" The older one asked. Tryn continued despite his order, and his hand went to his sword. Before he could draw it, however, Tryn waved her hand towards the two men, drawing on her magic as she spoke.

"Not your concern. Open the gate then forget you saw me. The spell clouded their minds and they obeyed, mumbling incoherently as they did. It was an incredibly useful spell when used on those with feeble minds, which most guards seemed to have, and once she was inside and out of site, it wore off and they returned to their duty, slightly dizzier than before.

Tryn had been in the palace many times before during her years as a rider and she was familiar with the layout. They'd done renovations, but the only place she figured would be feasible to keep a dragon would be in the dungeons somewhere. She made her way into what had been the dungeons with ease, surprised at the lack of security, only to end up lost. They had changed drastically to accommodate the magefire systems, and the lower level seemed like a maze of pipes and gears.

Follow the magic to it's source. Tryn could feel the magic in the magefire flowing through the pipes, all emanating from a central location. The dragon had to be there. She followed it through the winding tunnels and copper doors until she came to what seemed to the the epicenter. Before her, a copper door left casually open. She approached it, bracing herself for what she was about to witness, and pushed it completely open.

No amount of bracing could have prepared her for what she saw. Suspended in the center of the chamber, the dragon hung like a deer carcass strung up to dry. Cables and tubing protruded from it everywhere and held in place by a metal claw that dug into it's chest. The anger and anguish that flooded into her from Ankh nearly deafened her, and her own anger left her dumbstruck, her jaw hanging open as she gazed at the once mighty creature. The, Tryn saw her. Knelt near the head of the dragon was the woman she had come to find. Her voice cracked as she tried to speak.

"Maeve of the Mists?"

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

Savorin took his first steps into the stone palace. The place was inspiring as well as surprising. It looked like it should have sunken into the ground before it was even close to completion, but it hadn't. Instead, it stood tall, proud, and sturdy. The layout, from what he could tell, was rather simple to navigate... At least to the Queen's Chambers.

Following the apparent path, Savorin looked about as he walked. Fine silks and high quality decorations adorned the hall, astounding the zorc. Not even the greatest of tribes could afford anything near this, especially with so many people. Were all human homes this well furnished, or was the queen somehow above the rest?

When he reached the Queen's Chambers, Savorin could only look on in pure awe.

Setting

Characters Present

Character Portrait: Virtus Trevand Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk Character Portrait: Aviditas Trevand
Tag Characters » Add to Arc »

0.00 INK

#, as written by CutUp
Aviditas, and Virtus entered the tavern Drunk or Dead. Aviditas scanned the room until he saw in the back of the room a booth with one very well dressed, and clean man surrounded by several very large men who was obviously protecting the man. Virtus started his way over to the bar, but Aviditas grabbed him by his collar, and pointed him in the direction of their contact. "You're no fun." Virtus pouted as his brother shoved him forward. As they made their way over Virtus couldn't help but to pickpocket the tavern's patrons completely unnoticed.

Once the brothers approached the booth the rather intimidating guards looked them up and down. The brothers didn't show any sort of sign of intimidation. "Let them through." Their boss ordered. "Freyd." Aviditas said. "Ah the Trevand brothers! How are my favorite mercenaries doing?" Freyd asked as the two sat down across from him. "You know, same old same old. Bored out of my mind. Seriously how do you even live in a city like this? I'd go crazy within a week." Virtus answered as he leaned back in his seat. "Yes, well I find other things to occupy my time."

"Enough of this frivolity. What is the job?" Aviditas asked. "Ah Aviditas, as blunt as ever I see? Very well." Freyd replied as he took a sip of his drink. "Some of my people have spotted a dragon outside the city. I'm sure you're aware how rare these creatures are. I've got some people ready to contain the beast, but I need you two to subdue it." Freyd stated as he continued to drinking. Virtus looked over at his guards, then back at Freyd. "And why can't your goons do this?" he asked. "Well, my people are useful mind you, but they're not as battle tested as you two. I'd prefer not to lose a couple dozen of men over one monster, no matter how valuable." Freyd replied. "But you have no problem with sending us into the fray? Here I thought we were your favorite mercenaries." Freyd just replied with a chuckle.

"What's the pay?" Aviditas asked bringing the conversation back on track. Freyd snapped his fingers and one of his guards placed four large bags of gold on the table. The boys mouths were practically watering at the sight. "Very well, point us in the right direction and we'll get it done." Aviditas said as he regained his composure. Freyd snapped his fingers again and a different guard handed them a map that showed the location of where the dragon was last seen. The guard also gave them a flask filled with some kind of purple liquid. "I had my top alchemist whip this little number up. All you have to do is throw this in the lizard's mouth, and boom, it's in a deep sleep for several hours, long enough for us to get it contained. Good luck boys." Freyd said, then he and his men left the tavern. "Oh this is gonna be fun!"

The two left the tavern not to soon after. "Oh man! I can't wait! Haven't faced a beast like this in a while!" Virtus exclaimed to his brother. "Settle down. This won't be a walk in a park. Dragons aren't welcome in Valon, and since it isn't on a rampage it's most likely under control by a dragon rider." Aviditas stated. "Oh! You think he'll be there? Haven't killed a rider before!" Virtus was obviously excited by the prospect of facing someone as skill as the dragon riders of legend. The two returned to their safe house and set up their horses to the carriage.

They quickly rode out of the city and towards the location on the map. Once they arrived they were greeted by several of Freyd's men with very large nets. "Are you the mercenaries?" one of the men asked. "Who else would we be?" Virtus smirked. "We've been ordered to follow your orders. the dragon is over this ridge here." the man replied. "We'll go down and subdue the dragon. I need four groups of men on each side of the dragon. Watch for a signal from me incase we get overwhelmed, then you'll come down and back us up. Once it's subdued you all need to rush down there and toss your nets on it."

"Ok people get into position."
Aviditas ordered. He threw a nod over at his brother, and Virtus went over to the back of their carriage. "Let's see....no.....no......ah ha!" Virtus said as he rummaged through some things on the cart until he found a flask full of a black powder. This was a smokescreen. He also grabbed his bow and quiver, and stood next to his brother. "Alright, we're doing the Fulcan Shift." Aviditas said to his brother. Virtus smiled, and gave him a nod as he dashed away from him.

Aviditas took a deep breath, and exhaled. He went over towards the mighty dragon, making sure his presence was known by smacking his axe against his shield. He scanned the immediate area, looking for the rider, he didn't see anyone. "Where's your master beast?" Aviditas asked making sure it's attention was fully on him. Then up on top of the ridge Virtus threw the smoke bomb directly into the dragon's eye, causing a thick cloud of smoke to cover the entire creature's body. Virtus then started to fire arrows rapidly into the cloud, with most of them just breaking apart when they hit the dragon's scales. Aviditas held up his shield, and prepared for combat.

View All »Arcs

Arcs are bundles of posts that you can organize on your own. They're useful for telling a story that might span long periods of time or space.

There are no arcs in this roleplay.

View All » Create New » Quests

There are no quests in this roleplay.

Add Group » View All » 0 Factions to align with

Here's the current leaderboard.

There are no groups in this roleplay!

Events

Soon™.

Game Master Controls

Welcome home, Promethean. Here, you can manage your universe.

Arcs

Arcs are bundles of posts from any location, allowing you to easily capture sub-plots which might be spread out across multiple locations.

Add Quest » Quests

You can create Quests with various rewards, encouraging your players to engage with specific plot lines.

Add Setting » 1 Settings for your players to play in

Settings are the backdrop for the characters in your universe, giving meaning and context to their existence. By creating a number of well-written locations, you can organize your universe into areas and regions.

Navigation

While not required, locations can be organized onto a map. More information soon!

Add Group » 0 Factions to align with

There are no groups in this roleplay!

Collectibles

By creating Collectibles, you can reward your players with unique items that accentuate their character sheets.


Once an Item has been created, it can be spawned in the IC using /spawn Item Name (case-sensitive, as usual) — this can be followed with /take Item Name to retrieve the item into the current character's inventory.

Mobs

Give your Universe life by adding a Mob, which are auto-replenishing NPCs your players can interact with. Useful for some quick hack-and-slash fun!

Mobs can be automated spawns, like rats and bats, or full-on NPCs complete with conversation menus. Use them to enhance your player experience!

Current Mobs

No mobs have been created yet.

Spawns

Locations where Mobs and Items might appear.

Events

You can schedule events for your players to create notifications and schedule times for everyone to plan around.

Permissions

Add and remove other people from your Universe.

The Forge

Use your INK to craft new artifacts in Magefire: The March of Progress. Once created, Items cannot be changed, but they can be bought and sold in the marketplace.

Notable Items

No items have been created yet!

The Market

Buy, sell, and even craft your own items in this universe.

Market Data

Market conditions are unknown. Use caution when trading.

Quick Buy (Items Most Recently Listed for Sale)

Open Stores

View All » Add Character » 8 Characters to follow in this universe

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic
Character Portrait: Virtus Trevand
Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk
Character Portrait: Aviditas Trevand
Character Portrait: Soren Hearthfire

Newest

Character Portrait: Soren Hearthfire
Soren Hearthfire

"Sweetheart, the only thing I care for is how much money you have."

Character Portrait: Aviditas Trevand
Aviditas Trevand

"I don't get paid enough to care."

Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk
Tryniszka Vosk

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

Character Portrait: Virtus Trevand
Virtus Trevand

"I'm just that freaking good."

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic
Savorin Taluunic

Peross is watching.

Trending

Character Portrait: Virtus Trevand
Virtus Trevand

"I'm just that freaking good."

Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk
Tryniszka Vosk

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic
Savorin Taluunic

Peross is watching.

Character Portrait: Aviditas Trevand
Aviditas Trevand

"I don't get paid enough to care."

Character Portrait: Soren Hearthfire
Soren Hearthfire

"Sweetheart, the only thing I care for is how much money you have."

Most Followed

Character Portrait: Aviditas Trevand
Aviditas Trevand

"I don't get paid enough to care."

Character Portrait: Tryniszka Vosk
Tryniszka Vosk

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

Character Portrait: Virtus Trevand
Virtus Trevand

"I'm just that freaking good."

Character Portrait: Savorin Taluunic
Savorin Taluunic

Peross is watching.

Character Portrait: Soren Hearthfire
Soren Hearthfire

"Sweetheart, the only thing I care for is how much money you have."


Fullscreen Chat » Create Topic » Magefire: The March of Progress: Out of Character

Discussions

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Most recent OOC posts in Magefire: The March of Progress

There have been no posts in the OOC topic for this roleplay!