Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Promise City Western RPG

My Definition of "mature role-player"

a part of “Promise City Western RPG”, a fictional universe by Lucius the Deft.

PCW RPG is a western/steampunk opera.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Promise City Western RPG”.
A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

My Definition of "mature role-player"

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lucius the Deft on Sun May 30, 2010 11:36 am

How i define maturity in a role-player has very little to do with spelling, punctuation used or vocabulary. It has everything, though, to do with being courteous towards your fellow rper's. It has to do with submitting posts in a timely manner, in full consideration of the pacing of the man, or woman, moderating the thread, or the individual whose pc/pc's is/are leading the action in the role-play. Maturity has to do with reporting in and letting others know, faithfully, when, for whatever reason, that one isn't going to be able to participate, if at all possible.

Maturity in role-playing is realizing, and accepting, the fact that everything isn't going to go exactly the way that one would have it be. That characters die in role-play and sometimes by their own dumb action(s).* Or for no apparent reason whatsoever. It has to do with realizing that your character's actions effect everyone and every thing around them and or their adversaries.

Maturity has to do with accepting the fact that every attack your character makes is not going to necessarily hit its mark, every spell is not going off without a hitch. And that, sometimes one's physical attacks or spells are going to do injury or even kill one or more of that pc's allies. Maturity is being able to accept the moderator as the final arbiter, provided that moderator fully understands what the pc is saying or doing and doesn't make faulty assumptions.

Maturity is realizing that not all the individuals in an adventuring party are necessarily going to start the adventure in the same locale, or possibly even share a common reason for being in that same place, or sharing that same motivation for being there. Or possibly even know the other pc's, at all. Or, possibly, not even have a passing acquaintance with the other pc's or npc's who know pc's or npc's involved in the role-play, at all. A mature role-player does not assume that his or her character(s) is not going to be seen, or heard, or recognized by another pc or npc involved in the role-play.

But; perhaps, most importantly, a mature role-play realizes and accepts the fact that not every character s/he is chosen or asked to role-play will one of his or her choosing. The role-player might not even like that character and or scarce be able to find even one redeeming quality in him or her. A mature role-player is willing, and able, to set aside every difference that he or she has with a character and just deal with it.

That, for the record, is my definition of a mature role-player. And it has but very little, if anything, to do with the age, level of education, or number or kind of RL experiences that role-player might, or might not, have actually experienced.

Lucius

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lucius the Deft
Member for 14 years
Promethean Lifegiver

Re: My Definition of "mature role-player"

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby boats on Sun May 30, 2010 1:34 pm

...'ll keep that in mind,thanks.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

boats
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pinklicious on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:39 pm

I like this. perfect definition for a 'mature' rp.

pinklicious
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kallas Redwater on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:44 pm

I must say that i don't create or play characters wich have no similarity with me, not because i don't like them( i would love to Rp them) but i realise that i can't RP them properly. My characters almost all have personalities of a loner, thats the piece that i give them, but they all have difrent personlities if you look at them.

Rey Arclight: an in mystery shrouded man that finds it hard to show any emotion and is lead by logic.
Devon Steele: a kind blacksmith that wishes to solve problems without voilence, but wouldn't reject a fight.
Gray Apocalypse: a kind man feared, just because of his name... and the fact that when he gets angry( and he doesn't get angy fast) he will attack everythng and everyone he can see.
there are things in this world that poeple mustn't touch....WHO CARES!!!

Kallas Redwater
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!