Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Multiverse

Messing with Time in the Multiverse

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by Remæus.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Multiverse”.
A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Messing with Time in the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 am

What are your thoughts on this, I generally never done it since it's very easy to screw up and people would cry foul. My belief is time-travel of any sort is dangerous to use and should only be employed if both understand what will happen. As time travel or messing with is generally a heady discussion, most probably should not employ it, as the whole thing is a huge headache and in the end it's rather cheap way to fix things.

What are others thoughts on this, should time travel of any sort be employed, if so and when?
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Messing with Time in the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm

I find stable time loops and self-perpetuating scenarios fun.

Go read Bob and George the webcomic, the first sprite based webcomic, and also a webcomic about Megaman and some other things in all its horrible glory.

Or Douglas Adams could work too, though his time-travel is less think-hard and more immediately clever.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 pm

I'm personally a fan of the stable time loop idea. Manly Guys Doing Manly Things probably has my favorite example.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/631

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Time-travel is a widely used element in a lot of literature, movies, television shows, and even mythology. I see no reason it shouldn't be explored. Admittedly yes it can be a bit daunting, and easily abused, but I have always been a firm believer that it is not the power of a character that matters, but how the character is played. I myself play a chronomancer (a time mage) in the Multiverse, but I have never once been accused of godmodding or abusing this character despite his capabilities.

Time travel is no more or less feasible than any other form of magic that can't be explained scientifically, and I find it best to worry less about the how it works, and focus more on the tangible things that it causes.

Furthermore there are a lot of things in the Multiverse that people have a hard time understanding, but that's never grounds to suggest they shouldn't be used. I have no concept of guns, no understanding of the different kinds, or the caliber of bullets. It's all beyond my scope of understanding since I have no experience with guns, but I wouldn't suggest someone not utilize guns in the Multiverse just because it gives me a headache.
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm

On the flip side...
I once had a character trying to avoid an attack by having their future self stop it from something they planned earlier or some such? And then the current self thanking the future self.

I was really insulted by that.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!