Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Multiverse

Multiversal Story & Escalation

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by Remæus.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Multiverse”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Multiversal Story & Escalation

Tips: 1.50 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:45 am

We’re all here to write a story. Explore opportunities. Play.

As of late, the collaborative creation of a story seems to have taken a backseat to the win and lose nature of the writing game we are all playing. Escalating scenarios to the point of no return has become a common occurrence, and nobody is happy with the result of the given scenarios.

There is a way to merge escalation with the handful of plots that exist in the same locations, but may not have anything to do with the escalation at hand: as seen with Dorant on Gaia, or with the first Ball of Chaos

When Dorant landed on Gaia, it caused a lot of change and chaos and things to happen In Character, which lead to a high level of OOC communication. There was some conflict, and there was a lot of worry. Due to strong OOC communication, however, the scenario worked to everyone's favor, and was executed as a fun planetary event. Truly great plots were spawned as a result of collaboration. The Ball of Chaos had a lot of OOC and IC buildup as a planned In Character Event, and flowed naturally for it's duration with little to no OOC communication.

For you, a player in The Multiverse....

• What observations have you made regarding the shift in The Multiverse to where winning become more important than working together to create a story?
  • What do you think of events like the Ball of Chaos, plots like Dorant on Gaia, and efforts to use OOC communication to lead to better story regarding both ?
  • How can we make everything better for everyone?

As a reminder please be respectful when exploring answers to these questions.
tag me in the chat!

Become a Cartographer
Chart the stars of
The Multiverse with us!

The Hunt
Do you have what it takes
to become a Hunter?

"Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb, and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth.
They planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future foretold."

- Robert Jordan

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.50 INK in return for their work.

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor Giver Giver

Re: Multiversal Story & Escalation

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 pm

I said this in the Discord and I'll say it again, in nicer terms this time:

If you can't picture a Multiverse where you're not the undisputed top dog, maybe this isn't the RP for you.

For players that don't run a faction: It's perfectly valid to make a scene, a small-m multiverse, where none of the traditional ruling powers hold sway. In this way, if their reach is becoming oppressive, you can always make a place that they haven't invaded...but by the same token, prepare for the eventuality that they will find you and bomb the shit out of you. (I have noted that it's valid to make a scene on Terra where the Aschen defeated UCON and took over the planet instead of the "official" history and everyone got excited with discussing the ramifications of this AU.)

There are a lot of under-used rooms in the Multiverse. Find one and start the revolution there...preferably with the blessing of the sov holder.

Edit: Regarding Perks's post, the problem with that is that with the exception of the so-called Uberplot there isn't really any GM-sanctioned PVE going on (and with how busy Rem is with other things these days, I can't blame him). Still, I feel that the following meme is a good rule of thumb: If at any point it would be appropriate to the flavor of your faction to have a drone roll up and do this, you're doing something very, VERY wrong.

Last edited by LawOfTheLand on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LookingAtPerks on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Less PVP, more PVE. That is one solution I can think of. PVP tends to be more competitive, and PVE more cooperative.

I mean, I have not participated or seen any of these scenes myself, but I heard of them.

Another solution would be suggesting people to make more flawed characters. Sure, you can give them mad levels of power, but also make sure they are bad at things. For example, one of my characters, Ixa, is really powerful, but he absolutely sucks when it comes to lying, is overly optimistic, and tends to be...lacking in common sense (among other things).

I am new to the MV really, so this is about all I can say or suggest right now, but it feels like maybe part of the issue is that people fight each other too much, and should instead fight large NPC organizations or something? Stop thinking "Lets make the biggest, baddest stick" and more "Lets make it a colorful, interesting stick that teams up with other sticks to fight a floating stick that is far more powerful then us with no real owner".

Well, that is all I can think of. Hope it helps!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LookingAtPerks
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Storyteller Person of Interest Group Theory Builder Cult Leader Beta Tester Salesman Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ersatz Creed on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:38 pm

I love making antagonists but I sway towards the neutral ground in the MV. Why?
Because everyone and their mother seems to be decked out as if they are going to the Duel Arena as opposed to the Multiverse.

Like yes there are places for pvp (the forum has a subforum for such yea?) but it is also welcomed in the Multiverse

IF YOU DO NOT MAKE IT A ____ MEASURING CONTEST! No one likes to see the OOC chat full of two individuals talking about how dangerous this move (or this ship) from their character (or their faction is) and then the other retort with how it is nothing compared to this, blah blah blah, in an aggressive fashion. Endless anger fueled back and forth does nothing. Productive, Calm, and Collaborative discussion where two sides compare and contrast the strengths and differences of a character are always welcome. Make a great scene, not a great argument.

Now not to say that a fighting tournament or etc is not welcome but rather if you don't win, don't be so salty about it.
Looking at Julius I cleaned my tears and confessed. "I too ignored the soothsayer...and I too was stabbed by some one I loved."

Ersatz Creed
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Group Theory Novelist Property Buyer Person of Interest Bug Hunter Lifegiver Tipworthy Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LookingAtPerks on Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:03 am

LawOfTheLand wrote:I said this in the Discord and I'll say it again, in nicer terms this time:

If you can't picture a Multiverse where you're not the undisputed top dog, maybe this isn't the RP for you.

For players that don't run a faction: It's perfectly valid to make a scene, a small-m multiverse, where none of the traditional ruling powers hold sway. In this way, if their reach is becoming oppressive, you can always make a place that they haven't invaded...but by the same token, prepare for the eventuality that they will find you and bomb the shit out of you. (I have noted that it's valid to make a scene on Terra where the Aschen defeated UCON and took over the planet instead of the "official" history and everyone got excited with discussing the ramifications of this AU.)

There are a lot of under-used rooms in the Multiverse. Find one and start the revolution there...preferably with the blessing of the sov holder.

Edit: Regarding Perks's post, the problem with that is that with the exception of the so-called Uberplot there isn't really any GM-sanctioned PVE going on (and with how busy Rem is with other things these days, I can't blame him). Still, I feel that the following meme is a good rule of thumb: If at any point it would be appropriate to the flavor of your faction to have a drone roll up and do this, you're doing something very, VERY wrong.

A lot of what you said makes sense, but let me respond to what you said in that edit. Do we need GM sanctioning to think of NPC organizations to use and fight against? Everyone uses NPCs all the time, so I am not sure why you said that or what you mean, especially since I am sure something like this has happened before. So I suspect it was just simple misunderstanding/miscommunication.

Anyways, its not like I am saying "No PVP", I just thought it would be nice to sometimes get together with players, and instead of fighting each other, fight NPCs more often.

Additionally, let me add that you should go into the MV with the expectations to have your MCs beaten up, totally pummeled, and humiliated and attacked psychologically as well. Besides, what is better then rising up from that and trying to overcome your losses and failures instead of always standing at the top? :)

LookingAtPerks
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Storyteller Person of Interest Group Theory Builder Cult Leader Beta Tester Salesman Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!