Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

From Light to Shadow

The Culture of Manus Luna

a part of “From Light to Shadow”, a fictional universe by Jakuri-chan.

A millennium ago, a terrible cataclysm sunk the world into the very depths of Hell. The surface left unlivable, life turned its head toward the one place left untouched by disaster—the floating continent of Manus Luna. . . .

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “From Light to Shadow”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Culture of Manus Luna

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jakuri-chan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Okay, so minus everything that's been established on the other areas of the roleplay, I figured that I couldn't be the only person who had their own ideas about Manus Luna's culture, and what life must be like in Portum Animas. So, in this OOC thread, everyone is allowed to come up with their own details and ideas about the people who live on the floating landmass. ^^
"I'm just a wandering spirit, dead and gone, a blank void, as empty as can be...a lonely ghost."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jakuri-chan
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Greeter

Re: The Culture of Manus Luna

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JokerofSpades on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 pm

Alrighty, so I have a few... ideas? I wouldn't call them that.

For one, I'm also going to say that they are at the cusp of technology taking over religion, with a bad mix of politics as well. I only say this because of the earlier stated church (I have yet to find it in the intro.. I fail at reading...) and the numerous myths. These would be going against the technology that would be thriving now, so religious and technical leaders are probably having heated discussions. Now, add in a little bit of politics, and that is what looks like - to me anyway - the whole situation of people's POV.

So culture wise, I'm going to go on a limb and say that they have many, many ceremonies, parades and holidays for the meantime, but some are being phazed out by logical reasoning (like a festival that celebrates the harvest season, but technology and logics are saying that they will happen anyway so why bother.)

Also, since they have been able to harness the power of floating landmasses, I'm thinking that their technology would be -although still somewhat primitive to today's standards - be based around floating mechanics. (No brainer, but I must state that now... xD). I don't mean floating buildings, but maybe flying cars? I don't know, but all I can picture is like an avian race of humans living in the clouds :D lots of swirls and lightheartedness.

Other than that, I just wanted to know if they are using today's style of guns or not. xD
What's that, the picture is gone? Damn it all. Uh, move along, nothing to see down here besides these words.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

JokerofSpades
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wake on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Maybe not flying cars, but perhaps flying animals acting as mounts? It would make sense to tame some of the monsters in the wildlife for every day uses, which opens up other possibilities for cultural development. (And militaristic if done right.)

Wake
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist World Builder Salesman Arc Warden Storyteller Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wake on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Oh quick thing. If were going to be making details on the church we may want to add a cathedral district where their based in. As you could probably guess this place would be dominated by a huge cathedral with multiple religious themed symbols lining the streets and shops.

Wake
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist World Builder Salesman Arc Warden Storyteller Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jakuri-chan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:08 pm

I think cars would be out of the question, transportation and such information has actually been referenced in the places tab for Manus Luna and Portum Animas--public transportation is the mainstay of how people get around the city, and that consists of monorail/tram type systems where as outside of cities, things are really stick and mud. People have to resort to animal transportations--I had the idea that the cities on the continent were actually built up around masses of the 'lost' technology from the previous era, and the larger the city, the more of the lost tech was uncovered and able to be used, allowing for easier lifes and allowing one place to host more people.

Basically, it would be like taking a city from the earlier twentieth century and then when you leave said city, you're in the middle of nowhere. Beyond the several major cities on Manus Luna, the rest of the landmass is rural, and mostly farmland-ish area.

Monsters on the continent are basically mutated variations of the animals we see on our Earth today, the differences in them being caused from the lost tech of ages ago . . . you can equate it to what radiation will do to a species after several generals of living with it altering the genetic make-up of something.

Also, I'd be willing to say that while there are some anomalies in the technology that exists now, like the monorails and trams, along with a few other things. . . . The tech level of Manus Luna over is probably hovering around the mid nineteeth century for the most part?

Jakuri-chan
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wake on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm

If that's the the way it is then I would guess that Portum Animas is post industrial revolution tech (late world war 2 era) while the other cities are more pre industrial revolution, (just starting to work out how steam powered machines can be used)

Wake
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JokerofSpades on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Ah, I see. Then I may have to change some things around a little, since I hadn't read any of the 'Places' yet. I thought they discovered computers xD
Guess not.

JokerofSpades
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jakuri-chan on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 pm

Yeah, no computers yet--besides a few which would be held in secret by Portum Animas' leaders and top researchers.

Jakuri-chan
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wake on Thu May 03, 2012 12:13 am

Going further into the Asian city we talked about in the other thread, I have few suggestions in mind. (I shall call it "city B" for now and leave then name to the people that actually know Chinese)

So "city B" would likely be either Portum Animas main rival or one of it's major rivals. While the city isn't as tech savvy as the Portum Animas, it's a heavy contender for second place. If "city B" has a different religion then the one in Portum Animas then their might also be some slight hostility from the church. It's culture would likely be a mix of Japaneses and Chinese life style.

I'd like some more input on you guys on what to add to it.

Wake
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renmiri on Thu May 03, 2012 12:39 am

If you're basing the religion on the Chinese/Japanese as well, then 'City B' would probably be split between whatever form of Buddhism and Shinto there is in Manus Luna. Buddhism is pretty big in China, and Shinto-ism is just as large in Japan. Yep. It'd just be a lot of temples, I think. Lots.

I'm Canadian-born Chinese, so I won't be able to help much for anything else besides maybe a name although you shouldn't trust me I'll make it pun-ny. I'd be able to say more if it were modern-day China, if that's anything at all. ;-; Well. It's been a communist country for a little less than a century now.

Renmiri
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jakuri-chan on Thu May 03, 2012 12:54 am

Y'okay, so I finally got some ideas down for our dominating church and stuff. Sorry for sounding causal while I talk about it, but I'm in a really lax mood for once.

Anywho, so, I figured the relgion would be one which worships a single Goddess, the idea of the relgion spawns from the time before life was bound to the continent, when Viridis Mater was itself considered the mother of humanity. The goddess worshipped here, is beleived to be the embodiment of the planet herself, an all powerful figure. I guess, an idea here could be that the church runs along with the notion that while the goddess has vanished from humanity's grasp in recent history, they might believe that she will return to them one day, and will absolve humanity of their sins and restore to them the world below.

Upon her coming back to humans, she will regard them with love and make it so that no one has to live on a confined rock in the sky. This idea might trace back to the legends of the war between Harmonia and Discord, which, the true story of that cataclysmic battle has been lost to the eras. . . . People might have based the figure of thier worshipped figure off Harmonia since it can be inferred by the fact that her fragments are elementals.

I think that one of the main goals in the church's actions now would be to try to call their goddess back to them as quickly as possible, the wellbeing of the whole of the people aren't really the primary concern, which is why they are holding onto those gifted with passive powers like Nicoletta's sister, Aylin. Perhaps it might even believed that those who possess such abilities might even become catalysts to usher forth the Goddess' return sooner, as for the name of our Goddess, what about Sedna?

That would be what people call this figure now that Harmonia's name has been lost to time, well, mostly.

Jakuri-chan
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby blackwolf on Thu May 03, 2012 5:42 am

I will just throw in my random idea...

I think, instead of being the rival of Portum Animas, I think maybe we can make this 'City B' into another Portum Animas but in a different field. For example: If Portum Animas is the number one city in technologies and machines, then 'City B' will be the number 1 in culture...It is a place well-known for their legends, fairy tales, cultures, religions...etc.

What do you guys think?

And I'm not good with names, either...>___<"

blackwolf
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wake on Mon May 14, 2012 5:23 am

I just realized something very important (well two things really) that should probably be address quickly. Cars and guns.

Now since Manus Luna is a very small content land wise I don't think that it would really have alot of fossil fuel supply to be mined up for gas production. If cars do exist in the setting I think they would be very rare and used mostly by the wealthy.

Same issue comes up with guns. Granted being able to make them should be easier supply wise but how advanced are we talking. Automatics are a no from what I can guess.

Wake
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jakuri-chan on Mon May 14, 2012 5:27 am

Cars do exist, but in highly limited quanities, and are still primitive things, like probably equal to early 1930's stuff. And no automatic guns, Nicoletta herself carries a small revolver on her person, but that's it. As for the rest of the guns and stuff, I'd go to say that we have plain hand guns here, and shot guns, but that's really the extent of it among the general population.

Jakuri-chan
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JokerofSpades on Mon May 14, 2012 6:34 am

Among the General Population is the key word in your sentence >:D

JokerofSpades
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jakuri-chan on Mon May 14, 2012 6:09 pm

XD And I think part of me saw that coming Joker, but since most of our characters are not of the general population, I expect more to show up with them.

Jakuri-chan
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!