Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Multiverse

The best way to deal with problem players?

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by Remæus.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Multiverse”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The best way to deal with problem players?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Grahf on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:20 pm

In the future how should things like the Zernin Problem be handled? I mean I know what happened with him, the whole Rem talking to him and his eventual (assumed by most) banning. But what if we are all hanging out in Gambits and suddenly some other dude comes bouncing in and decides he is our new god and such? Sure, there is the option to say "Screw this." and leave, but that's just avoiding a problem. Mods are there, but is this really their job?

By what people have been discussing in the OOC there has been some talk about ignoring actions and making split-off universes based on things NOT happening (There by making things non-canon by result)...but that seems overly complex. Is there a way to work AROUND a power-player who refuses to stop being one? Other than trying to talk them down OOCly- you know some people just can't be talked out of being a fool.

Im just wondering what the proper way of handling this is- both IC and OOC.

(Before I get jumped on for beating a dead horse, Rem wanted me to post this. So there.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Grahf
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Greeter Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: The best way to deal with problem players?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 am

I prefer to try to handle actions in character, with a healthy mesh of out of character cushioning.

Enter the essay.

Everyone wants to be acknowledged, and it's completely disrespectful to blatantly ignore someone. While I understand there is a mild problem with overpowered characters flexing their abilities on the inhabitants of Gambit's Bar, is it right to ignore these players?

I don't think it is right to ignore these characters, but to respond with perspective. If their character truly is a God, and the God acts brashly, activate In Character repercussions. Hide under tables, cower in fear, call 911. Acknowledge what they are doing, and how they are effecting the environment.

It is important, in my experience, to also guide the player through their powers. Many newer players, or players that come from competitive sites (as zernin did) don't understand the 'you can't auto hit' thing. Sometimes, it comes down to offering to write their post for them, simply so they can see where they wrote "Chopped off their head" instead of "Swung at an extremely high velocity at their head".

So long as you are polite, and don't jump down their throat, whispering them instead of calling them out, I find this tactic to work very, very well.
The key is to remember that they are, at the end of the day, a fellow player. Behind that God is someone, and it's best to whisper them and find out what's going on. Be polite. Don't use grammar that can be easily construed as being snarky, like this sentence was, and don't confuse the heck out of them or use terms like "you shouldn't" or "don't". Introduce yourself, use a smiley. If someone complains, seize that opportunity and message them. Help them through, because you can't expect someone to learn if nobody is willing to teach them.

As for split universes, that does not make a solution, it simply gives everyone the impression that it is ok to ignore a player. It is ok to ignore anyone's actions, and completely forget we are all in one role play. It is ok to disregard someone else's impact on the Multiverse, and as they say in Improv, Ignore an Offer. By doing this you are telling the very player you want to improve that it is ok to ignore people. With this logic, the power player can now do whatever the hell they want, for this is their dimension/universe, so hardy har deal with it.
This is not the attitude we should be passing through the Multiverse, through Role Play Gateway, that it is alright to ignore a player, a writer, a character.

As a community, we are as we treat our worst off. The proper way of handling these players who most of the time honestly don't know better is to treat them exactly how you would treat yourself, if the roles were switched. Teach them. Enter their shoes, remember how intimidating the OOC Chat was the first time you walked in. Remember what it was like the first time your character was ignored, or you just wanted to be a part of something amazing.
tag me in the chat!

Become a Cartographer
Chart the stars of
The Multiverse with us!

The Hunt
Do you have what it takes
to become a Hunter?

"Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb, and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth.
They planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future foretold."

- Robert Jordan

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor Giver Giver

Re: The best way to deal with problem players?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ChaoticMarin on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:11 am

While it's all fine and dandy to attempt to solve a problem through helping the player in question or trying to roll with whatever's going on, I personally got the impression that Noxize wanted a solution that worked even when the player in question is entirely uncooperative.

The ultimate, and only acceptable method of dealing with a situation where a player is acting like a dick and cannot be reasoned with is to report that player to Remaeus himself directly. Include screenshots/logs and cease posting for the time being if you must. (Note: Cease posting does not mean ignore those posts and keep posting) This is not to be abused--You should probably never report someone unless you're confident they are in fact being a dick, as false positives are just disruptive to RP in general.
“I eat my enemies for breakfast; even when I already ate breakfast, and brunch!”

“But in my heart, I sometimes wish they would atone so that I could be that close to a friend.”

Check out my likes and dislikes post and my profile. Then hit me up!

ChaoticMarin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 13 years
Beta Tester Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Recruiter Cult Leader Hordemaster Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver Concierge Visual Appeal Donated!

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!