Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Multiverse

On the Spirit of the Multiverse

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by Remæus.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Multiverse”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

On the Spirit of the Multiverse

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Remæus on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:56 am

Hey everyone! To move forward with the überplot and take the Multiverse to the next level, I've got something I want everyone to carefully read over and consider, regarding everyone's participation in the Multiverse and the important core mechanic behind it.

From the the Introduction to the Multiverse:
The Multiverse is, in essence, a writing game in which all players have equal input into the story.

Take a moment to reflect on the meaning of that statement; there's a reason it is the first thing you read upon visiting the Multiverse, and for a very long time it was the only thing you saw.

This sentence distills the very spirit of the Multiverse; open, free, and non-exclusive collaboration for all.

I want everyone to be very aware of the exclusivity that writing your posts somewhere other than the roleplay itself introduces, whether or not you mean to do so. This includes posts written in RPG Write and other Etherpads, and also includes pre-planned scenes that get posted in bulk, or roleplaying with a select group of players and only when you're all available to "write the scene". It removes any possibility of an unexpected character ambling along and introducing a new plot twist simply through their presence, which is why the Multiverse was built in the way that it is.

Understand the concept of the "interaction interval": the frequency with which a collaborating author is enabled to react to and respond to content; smaller posts with less action covered creates a high interaction interval, allowing the other players to respond and interact with more granular content. Larger posts in which weeks are spanned create low interaction intervals, effectively eliminating other players' chances of reacting to something happening earlier in the post (which can be a daunting fear, as no one wants to "void" another player's 2,000 word post).

This has implications under the Multiverse's rules for combat, as well. Players having written a single large post only get counted as one post if it comes to blows, effectively eliminating any advantage players might have by uniting together. Instead of writing large posts together, it's always a good idea to let multiple players add their character's pieces as their own posts. This can be done very artfully and read quite linearly, and should have no drawbacks beyond a change in paradigm.

I have nothing against collaborating on a post reflecting a single action; this is very much in the spirit of working together to produce higher quality works of art. However, when you write a series of actions by multiple players in this fashion, it makes it impossible for other players to intervene in the events contained therein, resulting in a completely unfair and exclusive environment for other players.

If we're going to move forward with some of the more cohesive and overarching plots, we absolutely must—every single one of us—make an effort to be inclusive and supportive of the introduction of unexpected events by unfamiliar players. There's going to be a lot of them in the coming months.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: On the Spirit of the Multiverse

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:12 am

I agree mostly, my main issue is that well it's not an issue, but my character came to MV recently she is a Vampire from Soviet Union and fought during Stalingrad anyway long story short, I had this meeting be in Gambit's the issue came when scene dragged on, and lostamongtrees pointed out having scenes like this drag on is tiring. That's the main issue, but since Gambit's is exception to most, then I see no problem having people randomly turn up in fact did it myself and it can be such fun.

In fact my Masquerade a huge MV wide event would not have been so successful if it was not for randoms, since randoms added new layers and nuanced to it, and made it more interesting when they turned up. Sure some of the planned guests were fun, but the unplanned like the_conqueror character Ut (long name sorry) turned up and essentially began chaos early on by destroying pillars holding up the building, it was so unexpected but added so much extra to the scene.

So in the case of Gambit's it's difficult, but otherwise this is great goal and I fully support it.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jo_Tunn on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:54 am

I will try my best to do what ever it is you want me to do, master!
Hard work never killed anyone, only boring work.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jo_Tunn
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ColeMaibara on Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

I fully support this as well. I don't quite have anything long to post, but I can assure you I'll do my best to do this.

ColeMaibara
Member for 12 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Beta Tester Storyteller Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Cult Leader Greeter Visual Appeal Salesman Property Buyer Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!