Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Multiverse

Request for GM Ruling

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by RemΓ¦us.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Multiverse”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Request for GM Ruling

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:28 am

Hello,

A few players and I wrote 14 posts collaboratively for one "plot line", in which we "engineer" a "bioweapon". We have gone uninterrupted in our actions, which were deliberate attempts to support the weapon's offensive capability as "preps", for (about) three days before there was a direct response.

I cannot help but feel the response, which is a single post voiding our prior actions, violates the rules set forth in The Multiverse.

Here is the series of posts in question.

Thank you for your time.
tag me in the chat!

Become a Cartographer
Chart the stars of
The Multiverse with us!

The Hunt
Do you have what it takes
to become a Hunter?

"Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb, and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth.
They planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future foretold."

- Robert Jordan

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor Giver Giver

Re: Request for GM Ruling

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ruanzilla on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:47 am

I'll add a few thoughts here as well given that I have characters involved with the defending side of this IC attack. Having spoken with barney it's quite apparent that he has no qualms with the plot, or with the curse/virus. I don't either, and was even prepared to have several of my characters die from the virus. We only requested more effort be put into the initial transmission of the virus than a post that states it is superior to any force in the Multiverse at this current time.

Barney has suggested taking down the Reverence shields first, while I suggested infecting the Aschen in the nearby tavern who aren't protected by the shields. So the situation from my perspective is that no one's aiming to void any plot lines, only to collaborate a transmission in which barney's own extensive content isn't voided.

As it stands, on one end there's a few years of content into anti-magic research and development that has incorporated many players, and on the other end a magic weapon that is allegedly more powerful than said anti-magic. Rules state that whoever has more backing content is the superior in the event that a resolution can't be reached, but also emphasizes the collaborative nature of the roleplay.

Remæus wrote:First and foremost, the Multiverse is a roleplay, and the players are encouraged to resolve their character conflicts as logically as possible, with the focus being on telling the story of the characters rather than defeating the controlling players' logic through competition.

With that said, attempts have been made to collaborate a solution that transmits the virus as logically as possible without hammering through the shields directly, and as far as I can tell everyone involved was agreeable to the virus. This thread leads me to believe that the attacking parties still want it to go through the shield directly, so the point of contention is now whether the three days and 14 posts apply under the 'Power is determined by the backing content' if the defender has several years and hundreds of posts backing anti-mana tech development.

It was my personal belief that the rule was put in place so people don't just throw things in and claim to be all powerful. I personally witnessed at least one player involved state openly in the OOC to barney and myself that 'There is no way to possibly stop this', which to me strongly deviates out of the realm of a collaborative environment. Even more so when the players of the defending characters have put forth suggestions to get the virus transmitted regardless of the anti-magic shields, only to be met with statements like that.

Anyways, these are just my observations from the standpoint of an involved player with a few characters caught up with the content in question. Hope they help.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ruanzilla
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 am

Master asked me to judge this dilemma. He felt he was too involved to be impartial.

He also asked me to be supportive and instructive.

Damn him!

In the arc lostamongtrees linked, I read about a build-up of a virus that can propagate via audio signal. An effort was made to infect the crew of the Reverence, an Aschen ship. However, that effort was squashed and it was quarantined by the ship's automated systems.

Did Barney's post revise the past? Yes. Did it make it impossible for the Virus People to proceed? No.

From what I can tell, the Aschen People want to be involved in the narrative and are willing to work with the Virus People as to how to achieve that. Which is why I support Barney's post. It doesn't stifle interaction; rather, it invites it. It doesn't destroy the virus; rather, it quarantined it, which slowed down the sequence of events to the point where collaboration is possible. After all, the alternative was to have the fate of their assets dictated to them by another party, which isn't the way we should expect to be treated.
conditio sine qua non

Circ
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lostamongtrees on Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time out to read and review the conflict!
This worked out awesome, and I'm excited that we can all continue the role play.

There's an option for collaboration that was hidden in the shadows. A third one,
that I don't think many (if any, I know I) didn't see. Thanks again, Circ!

lostamongtrees
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Helmsman Builder Streamwatcher Beta Tester Storyteller Maiden Voyager Greeter Concierge Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Tipworthy Cult Leader Hordemaster Historian Lifegiver Visual Appeal Donated! Salesman Property Buyer Contributor Giver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ruanzilla on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Was wondering if we could get a GM to look over this matter as well and make a call for us on this post: roleplay/the-multiverse/places/volaria?start=25#roleplay2443963

The context of the situation is that Tank Emperor posted an invasion of Volaria. I posted up some defenses that would need to be breached, but also used my posts to present some RP options to overcome the defenses via RP and strategy rather than brute force (such as leaving implications that if they took the watchtowers down, then Volaria couldn't keep intercepting the missiles, or that the watchtowers were solar-powered, so the shields could be weakened if the invaders were able to neutralize their access to the sun, etc).

When he overlooked the defenses on the cliffs and just posted his troops moving inland, I simply restated that the defenses hadn't been neutralized yet, and emphasized that while not impossible, it would take time to breach the cliffs and that he couldn't just instantly sweep in and take over the place instantly.

Many other players got involved all over Volaria until this morning when Tank Emperor retrospectively posted that all of his people had vanished right after he had fired his nukes in an earlier post thus negating every single post involving the invasion.

The actual invasion fighting stuff happened here: roleplay/the-multiverse/places/volaria?start=-1#roleplay2443040

But more posts also occurred here: roleplay/the-multiverse/places/volarian-royal-palace-great-hall?start=0#roleplay2443407

And here: roleplay/the-multiverse/places/pahale-outpost?start=0#roleplay2443758

And here: roleplay/the-multiverse/places/new-terra-high-orbit?start=300#roleplay2443039

And here: roleplay/the-multiverse/places/gonthar?start=0#roleplay2443702

And here: roleplay/the-multiverse/places/inner-sanctum?start=0#roleplay2443859

(I linked to the first relevant posts in each location to make it easy to see where stuff started.)

I feel that retrospectively noting that all of his people vanished immediately after the fighting began (who were safely relocated to another location on the planet to start over) is a disregard of the spirit of collaboration, and a violation of the rule that other player's contributions to the story can't be ignored.

As it stands, everything that happened after Tank's second post in Volaria where they fired nukes into orbit, never happened because his characters were retrospectively noted as not being there. This means Dark Rain never arrived, the Losenyu and the Taiyou never arrived, nothing in the other parts of Volaria ever happened. Haigara and Haijiri would never have arrived which means Moonscar's character wouldn't have either since she arrived in response to them. Sokka's character would never have arrived. The Pahale outpost stuff never happened, and those watchtowers weren't destroyed. Volaria never contacted the TNG... etc. It's just like it all never happened.

I can't help but feel that instead of fostering a collaborative environment, this post has destroyed other players content and contributions by nullifying all of the posts and ongoing interaction made by every player involved.

Ruanzilla
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tank Emperor on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

The entire idea at start was to create more background to all the nations and reveal more. The idea then turned to trying to get other roleplayers working together to defeat a common enemy, which is something that most people are seeming to overlook. The roleplayers need to work together more than just start war after war as somethings can be done better without war. But I'm am sorry for any godmodding that has taken place as I have had a lot of stress since that idea came to me.

Nobody tagged me in anything to do with the Pahale outpost stuff. Like I say, I can only say sorry and edit all the posts I have made within the last week to suit. The Terran High orbit stuff is something that I do not see godmodding as I have reacted to everyone's post unless I missed one out, and I'm sorry if I have.

I wanted, I will just leave the entire scene of Terra and go back to writing on my own in CNS. Because if other roleplays do not wish to roleplay with me (which some have made it clear), well, I will go back to writing by myself or end up leaving the site. Now, I'm not trying to sound moany or whatever, I am stating a fact, that most other roleplayers in the NRP area, are claiming everything to be theirs and not giving other people a chance to make contact with the other nations. Like I say, it is always war and trying to get one up on each other, which defeats the purpose of roleplaying as a whole.

Tank Emperor
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tiko on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:48 pm

You're tagged in the Pahale Outpost post regarding the nukes. I think what people are angry about is that you say you were trying to spur cooperation but did the exact opposite. This is more or less what happened.

Cybrans attack > Retaliation occurs > Reinforcements arrive and engage > Battle plans are made regarding the ongoing invasion.

IC cooperation was going on, alliances were being forged, and everyone was enjoying themselves. You then posted something and noted that your people had actually disappeared earlier/immediately after your earlier post, so that changed things to this.

Cybrans attack > Cybrans vanish > Retaliation occurs > Reinforcements arrive and engage > Battle plans are made regarding the ongoing invasion.

In this situation, those last three things technically never occurred if the Cybrans weren't actually there for these things to happen. From the players I spoke to it's my belief that their general anger is in regards to this specific post that came across as a declaration of 'my people left already - I just didn't say it - so now your posts never happened'. All their contributions were scrapped and thrown out.

Instead of resolving the ongoing content actively and then having your people depart, your simply posted a remark that your Cybrans had already left at an earlier time before any of the players content occurred - thus negating that they had occurred. So there actually was no IC cooperation. The only two nations that were involved were UCON and the Volarians. Every other post after that never occurred since you retroactively declared your Cybrans had already left earlier. So all of the players involved are now sitting on a bunch of posts they put a lot of time and effort into, only to find out that the posts never happened.

I think most people would be happy with things if the teleportation post was simply revised to happening later, after resolving all of those posts people made for you. I mean as it stands Sokka's character would never have even arrived, or Moonscar's, or half of mine. Half of the nations involved never would have arrived because the Cybrans technically weren't there anymore. Reinforcements that arrived and posted joining the combat are voided because there was no combat to join if it was retrospectively noted that it ended a while earlier.

And to put the whole thing into perspective. 4500 words of content were nullified by your post. Posts that simply ceased to have existed. With that in mind you can probably appreciate why people are upset right now.
I've moved on. If anyone stumbles on any of my old roleplays or wants to hit me up for nostalgia sake, feel free to shoot me an e-mail me at RPGTiko@gmail.com or hit me up on http://www.storytellerscircle.com. Good luck RolePlaygateway.

Tiko
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Lifegiver Cult Leader Hordemaster Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!