Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Multiverse

A Newbie's Guide to the Multiverse

a part of “The Multiverse”, a fictional universe by Remæus.

Where legends collide, warriors rise, and titans fall. This is a massive open world that you are free to explore and interact with; a sandbox for your characters.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Multiverse”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:13 pm

First of all, let me start by saying that Newbie is meant to be a term of affection towards new players and not at all related to the word "noob".

So, down to business: chances are, you've heard of the Multiverse (or MV, for short) if you've been on RolePlayGateWay for any length of time and are somewhat curious to about it. This thread is meant to be a brief, to the point and honest guide on what the MV is and how the basics of the MV work and how you can roleplay there in an enjoyable environment for new and old players alike. :)

If you are simply looking for suggested IC content, skip to the end.

So, what is the Multiverse?

In essence, the Multiverse is a sandbox writing game where almost everything is allowed.

It stretches across the entirety of all possible universes and fictions, meaning any kind of character, belonging to settings from high fantasy to the most hardcore of science fiction are perfectly fine!

The MV universe is vast, and you may encounter all sorts of characters on your travels. It is very possible that different fictions and characters may interwine with one another to create something fun, strange and beautiful.

Can I join?

You most certainly can! To create a character, begin by simply visiting this link: The Multiverse roleplay.

I won't go into details on how the site works, but essentially, the Multiverse (like most other roleplays) is hosted on a handy tab system that puts all the needed links right there on your browser under different tabs.

Right now, you're probably interested in either the chat, activity, OOC or character tabs.

• The chat tab takes you to the Multiverse chat, where you can either talk to other players in the site's universal OOC room, or go IC in the chat and actually roleplay there in a number of different in character rooms.
  • The activity tab lists all the latests posts by players, and also doubles as a kind of forum thread roleplay alternative where you can read threads and reply in a forum thread like manner.
  • The OOC tab lists all the OOC threads of the Multiverse, some of which may be of interest to you.
  • The characters tab features only few of the many characters in the Multiverse, and also allows you to create your own via the "Add New >>" button.

How do I join, and what requirements are there for my character?

To create a new character for the Multiverse, simply click on the Characters tab and then the "Add New >>" button in the upper right. This will take you to a character creation sheet that you can fill in. Here are some things to note:

• There are no requirements for your character. Create whatever you can possibly imagine! Write as much or as little in your profile as you want! All characters are automatically "accepted" regardless of their content.
  • You can add an image to your character profile (not just an avatar) with the use of the [img] command. Simply put a direct link to an image between an [img'] and [/img'] tag (without the ' ) and it will show.

I have my character, now what?

Now I suggest that you head on over to the chat tab, and begin interacting with players in the Multiverse! We all try to be as friendly and welcoming as possible and will try to answer any questions you have.

Alternatively, you could just jump straight into the RPing!

How do I actually begin roleplaying?

There are two main methods of roleplaying in the multiverse roleplay: the chat, and the activity tab.

• The chat is good for shorter, faster-paced roleplay in real time with other players.
  • The activity tab, like threads, is good for a little slower-paced action and longer posts. The activity tab can also tag other characters in posts and announce that you have made a post concerning a certain character to the player who owns it.
  • The two methods are not seperated content wise. Posting using one method will make that post appear in the other.

To roleplay on the chat, you must first go "in character". When you first join the chat, you will be in the general OOC room shared by all roleplays, but if you look to the left of the screen you might notice little avatars showing up in a vertical list. One of them, assuming you set one, will share the avatar of your character. To "go IC", simply click this, and you will be taken to a random room (for the first time only) in the IC universe.

You can then change which room your character is in by clicking the "places in the Multiverse" button at the top, then choosing from the (long) list and begin writing, or alternatively go back "ooc" by clicking on the portrait of the stars above your character portrait.

To roleplay on the activity tab, simply navigate to that tab and scroll to the lower part of the screen where you will see a reply box, alongside a "where?" drop-down list and a "tag a character" box. Remember to tag the character you are playing by simply writing his or her name in this box and then clicking it when it appears. Also do this for characters you are interacting with, so that their owner will get a notification of your post.

Remember, however, that there are basic rules to follow in the Multiverse:

The official Multiverse rule page can be found: Here

• The rules are basic, but universal to most roleplays.
  • First, follow the site rules that can be found: here.
  • Second, there is to be no blatant metagaming, powerplaying, autohitting or obscenity (such as graphic sex scenes).
  • If someone breaks one of these rules, you are unsure about one of them, or you have a disagreemant pertaining to one, please contact a GM of the Multiverse, the names of whom can be found at the top of the tab page for the roleplay, or preferably try to sort the issue out with the other player(s) in a respectful and mature manner. In extreme violations, contact a moderator (green name) or administrator (red name).

So, how is the IC organized?

The IC of the MV is organized through groups, locations, qusts and 'arcs/bundles'.

• Groups are a collection of aligned characters, similar to a "guild" or "clan" in an MMORPG. They range from vast interstellar empires to simple families or guilds. To join a group, simply contact the controlling player.
  • Locations are the areas that exist in the MV. Each location is a separate room in the chat and activity tab. Locations can be aligned with and under the control of groups, and many are "owned" by players of the MV.
  • Quests, as of yet, are not particularly well functional and are still a WIP, but if you wish to use them feel free to navigate to the Quest tab. There, you will see a list of "quests" that characters can accept.
  • Arcs/Bundles are a way in which you can group together a series of posts into a single 'arc' that can be read like a small novel. They're a cool way to 'canonize' events in the Multiverse and a list of them can be accessed on the Arcs tab. To create an arc, simply find your post (you can do this by clicking on your character portrait, or alternatively finding your character iny our profile -> character list) and click "add to bundle." You will be prompted to create a new bundle, or add to an existing one.

So, what do you suggest I do in the Multiverse?/Suggested content

Anything you wish! The MV has roleplay going on from small, private character arcs to vast plots following interstellar empires and their politics and war efforts (we refer to the latter as 'NRP' or 'Nation roleplay')

Other people simply like to jump into a random room and begin writing, where anything can happen and they can interact with other players without pre-arranging anything. These RPs tend to happen in "hub areas", as I call them, the most prominent of which is the room Gambit's Bar. Unfortunately, Gambit's Bar has been closed for IC reasons, and so we are currently without a viable replacement.

However, if you wish to choose a room and begin roleplaying there and slowly transforming it into a hub area, feel free!

You can also check out the Groups tab to see what groups are recruiting characters, or check out one of these Roleplayers Wanted threads to see a list of content that game masters are recruiting for!

Isiria
The Gae Ceann
Terracast
Aschen Confederation
The Patronus
The Invictus
Democratic Coalition
Nu'ulea Gynni
Aberash
WCPD
The Krouse Family
Dragons and Dragon Riders
The Hellfire Colosseum
Academias Celestia and Everia

That about finishes up this thread, I believe. Thanks for reading and I hope to see you in the Multiverse having constructive roleplaying fun! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and I will be more than happy to help in any way that I can. :)

I will also try to update this thread so it's as up-to-date as possible, but please bear with me on that as it might take a little time!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!