Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Liminal Academy

The Liminal Academy

a part of “The Liminal Academy”, a fictional universe by Morgan_R.

The Liminal Academy has three doors: one on the floating sky-island of Aeolia, one in Shadowtown beneath, and one that does not open under any circumstance. For those who can pay the price, it is the greatest academy of magic in the Known World.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Liminal Academy”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Liminal Academy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:28 am

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "The Liminal Academy"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: The Liminal Academy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ageha on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:07 am

Why do you even post under-construction work? Finish the whole thing and then post.

Well, none the less I'm interested in seeing what this is all about.
Don't say that you can't do it, if you haven't tried.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ageha
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:24 am

We're actually hauling in some people from another site, and many of us are new here.

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mathew Littlepaw on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Typically I dont like academy RP's... But this one looks really good :D And I'll make a character! Probably a Primal Mage, kind of person. Kinda like a stoner at the school, but with real stones... Earth magic that people thing is nasty, and dirty x3

Or something like that~

Mathew Littlepaw
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:08 pm

I currently have limited computer access, and I wanted to make the header image and put it up while I could.

Besides, it's a way of throwing my hat over the fence, as the saying goes. ;)

Glad to see some interest even from the little bit I've posted!

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 pm

And we are go for character apps! Looking forward to seeing what people come up with... feel free to PM me or just post here if you have any questions about the setting or anything else. :)

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonlightWraith on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:20 pm

Hey, colour me intrigued :3 what type of image would you like us to use? Real life or Anime? :3

MoonlightWraith
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Whatever you'd like, but I'll probably be going anime for the NPCs. Glad you're interested!

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SailorTitan on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Hello there! :)

This looks fun! I'm interested! I think I'd like to make a female teacher, if that's alright with you. :D

Oh! And one question. Is there necessarily any date we need to get our CS in by?

SailorTitan
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ANullAssault on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm going to be making a male teacher the day after Christmas at the latest. Before I do, though, I'd like to know what kind of magic systems are there? Is it similar to Wheel of Time magic where there's 5 different types of magic that can be combined in different ways, or like Harry Potter magic where words are power, or perhaps it's elemental magic, where it's just fire, water, etc. and you can occasionally combine them? It'd be awesome if we could create our own systems, but I'm guessing that might be chaotic and nonsensical, but then again, magic really doesn't need to make sense. I'd like to know, so that I can create an optimal magus to teach the bright future of Alyria.

ANullAssault
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ageha on Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:42 am

I second that question for magic!
Also can you explain the "houses". Are those like noble people houses like in Europe in middle ages or like clans in Japan and China?

Gonna make a proud, noble missy here. Probably gonna post her later today. Or not..... I changed my mind, I'm gonna make some cool guy who has nothing to do with nobility at all.

Ageha
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:02 am

The houses, from what they are described to be, serve the same purpose as the Houses in Hogwarts. However, instead of being based on the traits of the students, the House selection is dependent on the type of entry you have.

The House of Sunlight are for those who paid to get in.

The House of Candles are for those who had to show off their talents to get in.

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Morgan_R on Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:44 am

Teachers are still welcome! Claimed classes are Alchemical Potions and Natural Forces. Everything else is fair game. And I'm going with the theory that magic is subject to multiple approaches to systemizing it. You're absolutely welcome to create your own system to teach.

Teachers are welcome to make a student character as well, as they may otherwise find themselves at a loss for much to do between their classes.

Vedrisca has the houses right, pretty much. But I'd say it's possible to have someone in the House of Candles who hasn't manifested any abilities yet, if Luthien thinks they have potential. Basically, if you can't pay, you're a Candle.

Morgan_R
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ageha on Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:13 pm

I posted new character already, I hope it's alright. I haven't finished him yet, but I'll finish him today.

Ageha
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:04 pm

I think I'll take dibs on the Necromancy and Vitaemancy classes as a teacher. Pleasure to be teaching you guys ;)
Last edited by Vedrisca on Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AvaLovelace on Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm definitely making a character for this. She should be in either later tonight or tomorrow, hopefully.
Why in the world
Can't you see the things I see
The more I run into your arms
The more you run away from me

AvaLovelace
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ANullAssault on Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Quick question. Could we make a second teach if not enough spots are filled? I have a few ideas I really wanna try out in that department.

In regards to Alyrian history, could we say that magic is relatively new or unexplored until recently? Just so that it makes sense that all the different magical systems could be so different, yet so similar?

ANullAssault
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:48 am

ANullAssault wrote:In regards to Alyrian history, could we say that magic is relatively new or unexplored until recently? Just so that it makes sense that all the different magical systems could be so different, yet so similar?

Hm, would a magical Renaissance be more appropriate? If magic was new or unexplored, I find it improbable that a whole Academy would be assembled so quickly without any era of conflict or turmoil.

A Renaissance would explain a lot of things. Like the real-life Renaissance, old concepts and principles are brought back along with some new ones, thus explaining the diversity of types of magic and principalities. Ideas are constantly being synthesized and challenged, thus the lack of any dogmas to follow when dabbling with magic.

The only problem I see with a Renaissance is explaining the so-called "Dark Ages" of magic, where magic usage would be kept to a minimum...

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ANullAssault on Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:07 am

Vedrisca wrote:
ANullAssault wrote:In regards to Alyrian history, could we say that magic is relatively new or unexplored until recently? Just so that it makes sense that all the different magical systems could be so different, yet so similar?

Hm, would a magical Renaissance be more appropriate? If magic was new or unexplored, I find it improbable that a whole Academy would be assembled so quickly without any era of conflict or turmoil.

A Renaissance would explain a lot of things. Like the real-life Renaissance, old concepts and principles are brought back along with some new ones, thus explaining the diversity of types of magic and principalities. Ideas are constantly being synthesized and challenged, thus the lack of any dogmas to follow when dabbling with magic.

The only problem I see with a Renaissance is explaining the so-called "Dark Ages" of magic, where magic usage would be kept to a minimum...

Ah, but the answer is simple! Similar to how the Catholic church was what held power during those times, more than the kings even, they suppressed as much science as they could, calling it the "devil's work" and "magic". Eh eh? See what I did there? Yeah it wasn't really subtle...

Anyway, there could be some sort of fanatical group that tried to suppress magic and even tried to erase all knowledge of it, until the people rose up. Perhaps they were being treated poorly, perhaps a few too many charismatic, wealthy/intelligent people were preyed upon by said group, or maybe even the commoners wished to have knowledge like those that ruled them.

When it comes to any era of conflict or turmoil, the easiest and most logical way to go is: the masses.

ANullAssault
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vedrisca on Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:17 am

Well, I wasn't exactly aiming for a parallel "Dark Ages". Makes for a rather predictable idea of how magic would advance comparing to science.

I was thinking that magic would be much more effective so that it was a valued part of the culture. Regardless of some types being called "black" or "devilry", it would be used by the main populace for everyday needs. Given that technology would have mosly involved magic, there was little need for craftsmen and guilds.

To be exact, I was toying around the concept of having an age of dryness, where mages were few, and mana was in much lower supply, yet higher efficacy, than ever before. It would have caused panic, turmoil and segregation, and give way to the so-called "Dark Ages". However, magic wasn't outlawed - it was just rare. Anyone who was a mage would be pestered by feuding kingdoms to gain their support. Whoever had a good mage would have a boon. Mages who excelled in nature magic would provide sustenance for an overcrowded, starving world. Mages who excelled in fire and other "destructive" elements would become battle mages. Water mages would be able to assisst with sewage systems, farming, defensive building, etc.

Even necromancers, who would be especially few in number, would have value as a commander or a labor overseer, since the undead would have largely reduce the need for food consumption and extended periods of "wasted time" AKA rest.

For the people who didn't have a mage in their city, they would then develop metal armor, weapons, and so forth over time. Only a few records would remain of the old magic.

It would be after a long time that magic once became plentiful in the world again, and a few generations after the new mages had been born into the world was where our story would take place.

I think that would be a little more sensible as to how the magical Renaissance came to be. I don't think it would have made much sense to have something so powerful be so villainized, especially since everyone is linked together on one continent. Morgan has yet to tell us if there were any natural barriers that would have impeded travel to different regions, and thus have the possibility of having a non-magic population.

Regardless, I want to see how our GM, Morgan, thinks of these two concepts.

Vedrisca
Member for 11 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!