Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Island of Doctor Moreau

Character and Plot Development

a part of “Island of Doctor Moreau”, a fictional universe by Aramay.

He first tested to see if he could turn animals into humans. But they only regressed. How he's trying a new experiment. What will happen when he tests that same process on people?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Island of Doctor Moreau”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Character and Plot Development

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aramay on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:22 pm

This is where people who mean to develop a character for the RP or want to collaborate a plot between already existing characters.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Aramay
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Character and Plot Development

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Royalburden on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:33 am

Ok so here's what I've got so far for my bird man creature. He, like Creature is the observant but untrusting type simply because, well how can you not be if you've been experimented on but mine's more like a vulture in nature. He's succumbed to his animal nature to some degree and lurks more for his own gain.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Royalburden
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nerium on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:33 am

Right! So my idea is for a crocodile-man creature? Strong, but with a lot of limitations (cold blooded, so has to stay in the warmth - needs freshwater as well). Crocodiles are hostile, aggressive creatures. I'm thinking the character naturally isn't an angry person, but after the change he becomes more temperamental nearly to the point of violence if triggered? Although I'm not sure what career or major he would have, I was thinking something more normal rather than science or magic related.

nerium
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PolarOpposites on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:44 pm

My character is going to be a mystery, so I'm not sure what type of animal she will be turning into, but she is going to be a sort of peace keeper in the group, who is always offering up new ideas on how to advance the situation. She requires cigarettes all the time, so when she doesn't have those she becomes more irritable, but other than that she is going to be rather tame.
"If I'm not the crack of the cork, and the shot in the arm across the room like a four alarm, some kind of danger I look that way, you try to be cool with little to say, I can't be the calm, your bottle of wine, I have to be a quarter, not a nickel and dimes, I want to be the prayer, answered when you meet me, the pain, the bat and the blood when you beat me." Custom - Beat Me

PolarOpposites
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Royalburden on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Oooooh Daring, to choose a mystery characer. Props for that, Polar, and I like your crocodile man, Nerium.

I have some updates on my flying bird of pray, he's likely to be manipulative. He used to be a decent guy but after dealing with what awful things they did to him on that island he's grown hard and cold. He has absolutely no hope of escape at this point and almost embraces his new form. He's likely to be found perched in a tree or in the sky, very rarely on the ground. His form isn't fantastic when it comes to self defense. His back is extremely exposed and his only weapons are the claws on his feet and his beak. He's very large and hard to miss.

Royalburden
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aramay on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 am

Blarg! I didn't know people were posting here! I thought I would get a notification but I was wrong. Oops.

@nerium Crocodile works perfectly in my book. No subject will be perfectly changed to represent that genus but the question is how much of a mutation it will be from the original "specimen". Since this world is more aimed towards science rather than magic. I would recommend a career geared towards biology or something related to the field of science. Maybe he's a bit of an awkward but nice personality type. That way it will come as more of a shock to him once he starts 'snapping' at people :). Whoever he will be, there's already going to be an aquatic-esque character who may be able to help him when it comes to finding fresh water when it comes time for him to require it.

@Polar She's going to have fun trying to procure more cigarettes. The employees of the Gen Corp will be nice enough to leave her the pack of cigs that she had when she came to the island but after that she's going to need to learn how to barter or hope that a guard or scientist will continue to extend their sense of charity. The group will most certainly need a leader if they're going to do anything more than sit around waiting for their hair to fall out or bicker.

@Royal Oh goodie. We now have a manipulative informant to go with the shy spy. He can exploit a certain character's need for that nicotine fix. What fun it will be when fights break out.

Aramay
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DovesLove on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:59 am

Erm, my character. Ha, I don't know what to write... Is it possible to make 2? Because I'd love a mystery, but I'm also wanting to try a wolf. Anyway, sense for sure I'd want a wolf I'll write that one up. Even as full human she's been a leader, when a fight brakes out she's been known for stepping in the middle of it, grabbing the offending party's by the hair, and slamming their heads together, then dragging them around making them talk about it, and figure out why they started it. Her biggest problem though is dealing with a group of people in a regular social environment, so she's rather quiet until someone mentions something she knows about. She'll help anyone, and I mean anyone, so long as she learns how you think.
Last edited by DovesLove on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DovesLove
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PolarOpposites on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:29 am

@RoyalBurden Haha! Thanks for the props man, I like to live on the edge. :P Jk jk I just thought it would be a cool experience to roll with the punches.

@Aramay Yeah I took that into consideration when I gave her the nicotine addiction. I know it will undoubtedly be hard for her to acquire them, but once she finds a stable source, pardon, IF she finds a stable source then she should be alright.

@DovesLove Sounds like an interesting character, though you might want to think about her personality a little bit. If she has problems dealing with people in a social environment then it is hard to see them just charging up and dragging people around by their hair for bickering, yaknow? I had the same problem with my character, I made a contradictory trait that was promptly pointed out and fixed. Not putting her down, just sharing my opinion.

@Nerium I love crocodiles! I was actually thinking of making that my animal on here, so I am glad I went with mystery, have a blast with it though, I'm sure it won't disappoint. :)

PolarOpposites
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Well, in the midst of crafting a rather large scale RP of my own, I could probably use something to vent my prose a bit in the meantime. The overall idea here doesn't seem that bad; sounds like it could be rather fun. With the issue concerning age range, I suppose I could opt for a slightly older character in his late 30's give or take. Add someone of some reasonable wisdom and experience, I suppose. Perhaps make him an ex-militant or something which would probably be useful. Thinking of giving him a decently tragic history, and making him a rather strong character (with some pit up emotional problems that he would try to keep to himself).

Dwelling on species a long time and I kind of wanted to opt for a slight combination. I decided on a snake, but was stuck between being poisonous and massive at the same time. Figured perhaps a mix of an anaconda and an inland taipan. The interesting thing about the taipan is the fact that it is the most venomous snake in the world but has never recorded any deaths due to its reclusive nature. So hopefully dull him down a bit to avoid biting anyone anytime soon, but at the same time be big enough so that nobody screws with him.

Just a few thoughts, but unfortunately it's late and I don't feel the desire of fleshing it out in its entirety right now.

~ Maestro ~

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Royalburden on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:06 am

Wow....
That's.......absolutely beautiful.

Royalburden
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aramay on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:38 am

@Dove There's technically no written rule AGAINST making two characters but I've seen people tie up a whole plot line and ultimately kill an RP after they jumped in with two characters right away. To make it easier I would recommend sticking with one during the initial 'start' and then add the second character later on since more subjects will come to the island and prevent a population explosion.

I would say start off with one character as a 'mystery' and if you are happy with the RP and still want to make another that has a wolf as their DNA serum later down the line, I will have *wolf* as a reserved species for you in the mean time so that can still be an option for you. I highly recommend mystery. I take your character's profile and determine an animal for them. Occasionally someone who picks "mystery" will get a crazy mutation. >:)

As for the character(sorry, long reply XD), any contradictions will be politely pointed out and this thread exists to help fix and improve possible character personality issues. It might make for an interesting interaction as Opposite's character is prone to having leadership potential as well. A good possibility that they might butt heads over who leads? Something to take into account when making your character. Conflict can be a good thing. I will admit that I wasn't good at making characters until a few years ago myself.

@Polar I just figured out what "mystery" your character will be...but you won't know until the changes start happening! Teehee! I think you will like it though, along with everyone else. There will be hints throughout each stage but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out if someone knows how to google like a boss once the description with enough hints is posted after a certain stage. Royal opted for goldfish initially but we agreed to save that idea in case a certain type of character pops up....shhhhhh.

@Maestro Go for it! Everyone needs a place to unwind and try something new. I will admit this idea isn't completely new but its only been done one other time(that I know of) and it was a raging success till the GMs got lazy and left it to wither and die. That was over three years ago. Aside from the basic Dr. Moreau concept and 5 distinct "stages" of transformation, everything else I scrapped for the sake of promoting originality for both characters and story for myself and everyone else joining. No recycled art. Starting fresh.

People will almost always make a teen character unless you state that you want more of an age range. I appreciate that you are going for an older character. He could be the strategist of the group and freestyle food hunter/gatherer. He would definitely be someone that others would want on their side. I also see why you would be conflicted. Tell you what. Post your character and we can figure out which would suit him better.

Also. Just about everyone's animal final form will be larger than the original animal you might want go with taipan. Your character can still end up with a 'mutation' which is a slightly altered version of the animal even if you don't go with 'mystery' route. End up as a venomous snake with limbs or a BIG anaconda naga with "kung fu grip" action that would rival even the largest anacondas. Actually now that I've said all that. I would LOVE to see an ex-military man become a behemoth anaconda naga equipped with hugs that could kill. XD

Aramay
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kyuukonhime on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:41 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but this RP looks really cool so here goes nothing.

I had my idea for my character being some kind of an aracnid or bug. Maybe a tarantula or a centipede of some sort. I'm not too sure on the age yet, but somewhere in his early to mid 20s I guess. I was also thinking they were a crafter of some sort, like they worked with wood or worked with stone and had some kind of comping experiance and never thought they had to use it ever again.

Personality wise, I was thinking that they could a sweet person, but a nervous wreck dealing with a phobia or depression. I was thinking that they could be turning into their phobia or feeling the affects of the change and wants to hide and starts hording random objects in where they reside.

I have yet to decide on a gender as of right now.

Any ideas, Things I need to change? Comments?

kyuukonhime
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DovesLove on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:42 am

Hm, guess I'll go with mystery then, and if you find someone else from the mystery department that would be a good wolf, go for it, I don't mind :) How does this sound for the mystery type person

She just finished her final year of nursing school, she's younger at just 22(sorry, I have problems working with older characters, otherwise I happily would go older, I'll try later though.). Prior to collage she was home schooled all the way through high school by first her grandparents, then by various tutors that loved what they did, leaving her with a love of learning. But when she hit collage she realized that she didn't know how to socialize with people her own age, other then to act as a level head, which ended up getting her shunned from many groups. So she frequently flies solo, or with the old folks.

She'll probably be an avid nature person, with a favorite place to be alone is up in a tree, with a book if she can get her hands on one. She also loves tracking, and sometimes hunting, and she'll probably know some bow/knife skills. I'll figure out some major flaw or something, though help with that would be much appreciated.

DovesLove
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 pm

I am very used to highly literate role-plays so am accustomed to putting forth an extreme amount of effort into character development among other things. For this, I'm probably not going to give it my all simply because this is my way to just have fun. I'll probably have a character fleshed out before the day is over (hopefully). I have class later tonight so we'll see. To the drawing board.

~ Maestro ~

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PolarOpposites on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:49 pm

@Aramay That sounds really cool, I am looking forward to it. I just wanted to post in the ooc to let you know that I am going to be gone for a couple of days and I won't be able to post in here until I get back. I hope I don't miss much and I certainly hope I don't miss the starting of the RP. Thank you for your time.

PolarOpposites
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aramay on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:16 am

@kyuukonhime It's hard to say how the character profile would go unless you filled out the skeleton and submitted it but I would thing that something like a centipede would be pretty horrifying; sprouting 20+ extra legs with a long body. Taking to building shacks because the others hate feeling locked in when they sleep inside the facility, only to face hardships with trying to hold anything properly. People tend to make female characters so I'd recommend a male to help even out the ratio. Since the changes happen in chunks ie, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, by 50% I would bet that he would start building something for himself to hole up in.

@Doves Its fine if you go younger. For the longest time I couldn't play a character that was older than the age I was at the time. In the past four years I only recently learned how thanks to my line of work requiring me to meet tons of people of every age imaginable. Old people say the darndest things! But I digress, like I say with Kyuu, pull the character skeleton from the front page, fill it out to the best of your abilities and submit it. We can pass ideas back and forth till we find something that works and it can be approved. :)

What do you mean by level head btw? She's not a "partier"? That would make sense since I know I stopped being invited to get togethers when my co-workers kept trying to get me drunk and high. Now they don't even tell me when they all decide to just get pizza. They're whiny, irresponsible and don't take work seriously anyways. I can have fun without all that junk. No hangovers and no failed drug tests. So you could say I'm the 'loner' at work despite me being very social.

@Maestro No rush. My schedule had been unnervingly busy these past couple days. I was busy all day and only just now at 1 a.m. have I had time to get on the computer. At this rate I will have to start the RP before I can draw everyone's starter character pics so people won't be stuck waiting around. I haven't been a fan of doing fully literate RPs simply for the fact that you need a great deal of time on your hands to write so much and keep the layers and layers of story/detail. So I full heartedly understand. Have fun, be creative and let those ideas fly. I'm exhausted right now so I won't be able to look at your character till morning but it'll be the first thing I check when I wake up.

@Polar Its fine. Most likely it won't start till Saturday since I'm quickly realizing how many guidelines I need to write down for current and future people who may want to join. I would have had that done today but my errands didn't permit me enough time for the moment.

Aramay
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nerium on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Slight update on my crocodile-man character. Decided that he would be of a kind and amiable personality at first and then the genus could change him into a more temperamental creature. I thought about it and decided that he would be in his mid-thirties and I was considering him being more of a labourer than scientist. I'm thinking basic high-school education, went into construction straight after completing school and spent half of his life building houses. This would leave him vulnerable in the mental sense, as he would not understand very well how or why his body is changing - and it would leave him scared of himself? That would link to the whole nice-guy-starts-snapping-at-people thing.
I'm going to finish the character sheet possibly tonight or tomorrow and submit it. I would've done it earlier but college decided to make most of my work due in today :/

nerium
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby kyuukonhime on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:24 pm

I sent a work in progress in for my character.

If anything needs to be changed just let me know. It's actually my first time doing something like this in an rp.

kyuukonhime
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadtheWerepire on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Hey, It's been a while since I've forum roleplayed and I'm just jumping head first back into the fray. This roleplay looks fantastic, and props to the GM(s?) for being aggressive about permanent transformations.

How would you guys feel about a horseshoe crab person? They’re pretty sick creatures. Their blood clots on contact with bacteria, they have pincers and in a female’s case boxing glove like claws, have a hard shell on the back, barb like tail, 2 compound eyes and 10 sensory eyes all over their body. It could make for a very cool or disturbing mutant. The need for water would also become an interesting plot point.

If not platypus seems fun or some other furrier animal.

ShadtheWerepire
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aramay on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 am

@ Nerium Its fine. I see what you're getting at. He is streetwise but comes up short in the booksmarts. A hard worker that may not understand everything but has a heart of gold. Suddenly waking up on an island and a month after he starts growing scales and sharp teeth would be an issue.

If you could do me a favor. I'd like to see some examples of your artwork. From the increasing interest in this RP I will have to start looking for help since I won't be able to do all the writing and the art without having people wait for longer than I would prefer. I try to do things myself if only for the fact that I don't like expecting things of others so if I ask for help it means I've exhausted all other options to get around it myself.

@Kyuu How so? You've never done this type of RP or made this type of profile? As long as you have an open mind to learning and want to improve your writing skills then you will do just fine here. I want to promote an open forum here for everyone to share their thoughts and help fulfill any goals anyone may have here.

I haven't been feeling well yesterday and today so I won't be able to give a serious critique till tomorrow but from what I could skim through you are well on your way to an approved character. Maybe if you go more into detail with how he ended up with the career he chose and why he has that phobia you will come up with something for the history in no time. There's plenty of ways to choose from on how they ended up on the island as well. Going in for an interview for a trial study for extra cash is a good example.

@Shad I appreciate the compliment. I wanted to do this for years but waited till I felt almost confident enough with my skill level to handle the responsibility it takes to be a GM. I wasn't happy with what was around and realized I wouldn't find what I was looking for until I did the work myself. (One exception being something I'm working on with Royal outside of this) Humbleness aside. I find that people being 'shifters' is a cheap way to have the best of both worlds. There's no sacrificing anything and the challenges they face are rather shallow so to speak. You grow as a person when you have to give something of yourself or are forced to deal with something that was taken from you.

I not only like that idea but I encourage it. I haven't written down a few rules but the short story is I encourage people to pick unusual and less known fauna while discouraging Horseshoe crabs are awesome with their blue blood and look alien in and of themselves. I couldn't hope for a better request. Platypus is another good choice but I say go for the crab! When you are ready, submit a character and/or post your ideas here.

And for everyone here I have an announcement. I will be writing the opening post for the thread this Saturday and call it officially open. I won't be able to draw everyone's character right away sadly but the "normal state" drawings will be finished and posted in all of your profiles before all the subjects are given their second injection for stage two.

Aramay
Member for 12 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!