Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Psy Prep AU!

AU Idea/Plot Thread!

a part of “Psy Prep AU!”, a fictional universe by cirrus_sd.

(Reserved only for those with characters in the pre-existing Psy Prep rp. Sorry)

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Psy Prep AU!”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

AU Idea/Plot Thread!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cirrus_sd on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:48 am

So this will be where our au ideas go, what kinds of aus we want to do, how to go about them, different things we want to happen plot-wise etc. I'll also make a thread for each approved 'au' scenario, where we can put what our character looks like if their appearance changes, as well as if there are any personality changes we want to note.

For now, I know we were on board for both a genderbender au, and an elementaryschool/middleschool au. I think Zalgo had mentioned starting off with the genderbent, playing with that for a while, before making them younger. This works for me, let me know what you think.

Also, do you guys want to start them off already genderbent, or have them regular before changing? And don't necessarily let the intro throw you off...I just put what made sense to me, but if you guys have other ideas we can see what works best for everyone ^^
오빤 강남 스타일~!

Mother, Father, Gentleman~!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

cirrus_sd
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: AU Idea/Plot Thread!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 pm

Aaaand back again.

I still stand on the side of having our AU Characters start off genderbent though I don't wish to seem inflexible about it as I am not.

For everyone else, the difference is the presence or lack thereof of the scene where they are shocked and surprised, having to adapt to the changes of the opposite gender. For myself though, the change for Mortimer would have a purely aesthetic effect as Mortimer takes and wears new body parts routinely. The psychological effects of being a different gender would only take place long after everyone else. Starting as a female would provide the most change for him as the differences to his psychology would have already taken effect.

If this reasoning for why we should start as opposite genders instead of switching to it during the rp sounds selfish it's because it is. Like I said, I'm not opposed to the idea of having the switch happen in RP but if no one is too opposed to the idea of simply starting as opposite genders then that would give me a lot more to work with as far as characterization goes.

Other than that the rest of the established setting is fine by me. Not much else to say about it on my part.
If there is a signature here it is because the author probably forgot to disable it before posting.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Thundergod1020 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Well, that scene you want gone involving our characters reacting to the change? That scene is in and of itself characterization for everyone. For example, Axelle also has indifference to being another gender(he knows he had a 50/50 chance of being a girl, the universe is just taking the girl choice a bit late), but the things s/he can DO while being said other gender will leave for some fun moments during the first moments of change. You can still have Mortia react to it at a later date, but his/her lack of reaction in the now is a characterizing moment.
Don't piss me off. I will personally come to your house and tilt every painting I come across.

Thundergod1020
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:36 pm

For the matter of characterization it is not just a matter of indifference to being another gender that passes Mortimer/Mortina by. For Mortimer/Mortina there is little that he/she can do that is exclusive to the either gender given the fact that he/she is a zombie who replaces his/her body parts over time. What he/she can do while being another gender is almost unchanged from when he/she was of the former gender.

The lack of a reaction might be a characterizing moment but it's not a good characterizing moment. It reveals little to nothing about Mortimer/Mortina as a character except for the fact that he/she is a zombie who replaces his/her body parts over time. As far as psychology goes there is little development there as well as there is nothing to spur development of the new sense of identity when the change is as trivial as last week's body harvest.

With having the AU start them all as their opposite genders from birth it does remove the awkward gender change scene which almost everyone would have plenty to write on but on the other hand it provides a chance to see the characters fleshed out in their new identities, exploring differences that wouldn't surface right away with a sudden change like that.

I'm sure that the scene would be a lot of fun for most of you and would bring about lots of wacky hijinks of all sorts and varieties. I'm all for spurring the interest of every roleplayer involved since that was the goal of this Alternate Universe roleplay addition while the main roleplay was given time to build back it's momentum.

This, however, leaves me with a serious writer's block. I could write for him/her for sure but it would be very lackluster, leaving Mortimer/Mortina as more of a spectator than an actual participant for a majority of the opening sequence. I cannot say what future plots and twists could bring and theoretically his/her role could pick up but unfortunately with the material currently presented I'd have trouble writing an interesting paragraph that would contribute anything more to the plot other than "Oh look, how odd."

Ultimately, it is up to you guys as I am the minority as far as I know right now. I will say however that my vote is cast towards having the Alternate Universe begin with our characters starting as their opposite genders from the beginning, just in case the consensus for and against becomes divided somewhat evenly. If the consensus isn't divided either way I am still good to proceed with this, though hard to write for some paths for this plot may be.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cirrus_sd on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:53 am

hmmm

Well, I think it would be interesting if they started off as opposite genders. Mikhail (or rather, Michele) would most likely have a different backstory and personality as well...same for Zara (totally forgot my male name for her). While it would be funny to have them suddenly change, and them dealing with that, I think it'd be equally interesting if they started off with it.

We could still have the 'magic book' thing, with an endless supply of additional changes, and for fun we could even have one where their genderbent selves turn into the "original" gender, while still having the genderbent personality.

Plus, I still want genderbending to be canon in the actual psy prep, where they would suddenly turn into the opposite gender with ensuing shenanigans (idk how it would happen, but i want it >:P) And to keep us from potentially rp-ing the same thing twice, perhaps we should start off with them the opposite gender? (to which I would request that the character sheets are them in the opposite gender, since I imagine the personality and backstory would change so there would be edits to that.).

What do you guys think?

cirrus_sd
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zalgo on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:57 pm

I think your idea is quite smart Cirrus. Keeping the potential open in the main rp for a scenario where the characters suddenly switch genders while exploring an alternate universe where our characters begin their lives as their opposite genders would allow both options to be explored, leaving no potential untapped.

As for the magic book, that could be used to bring about other changes which would bring about some interesting situations. The option of having our characters suddenly revert to a younger stage of their life is still open and I have a couple other ideas for sudden changes brought upon by magic as well.

One idea of mine would be to have our characters suddenly warped into a Victorian era steam punk reiteration of the facility their in. That would be interesting to see our characters adapt to the changes in the levels of present technology and the staff all having british accents.

Another idea I had would be something that I could see being used later in the rp. A mind switch where everyone's minds are taken from their bodies and put into each others bodies. It would be quite chaotic as everyone would suddenly have to deal with their new bodies and learn how to learn each others powers. Naturally I'd prefer to see this change come later so we can explore our own characters differences first before we swap them around.

These are just a couple ideas I thought I'd contribute to the brain storm we got brewing here.

Zalgo
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Thundergod1020 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:43 pm

Actually, this leads to a great idea. Perhaps we could get a happy medium here, where we all rp the AU characters, but one or two Psy Prep characters(who had the exact same history as our other characters up until the point the door was discovered) enter and either find themselves changed to fit the existence of magic(by rule 63 distorting their genetic material on the transfer over), OR meet their counterpart. Axel and Axelle would probably get along nicely...

Thundergod1020
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!