Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Call of Pandora

Animus Artifacts

a part of “Call of Pandora”, a fictional universe by Klockwork0reo.

New York City erupts full of creatures once thought legend, which quickly engulf the world. In the center of the chaos, stands a girl, three choices, and a box.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Call of Pandora”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Animus Artifacts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:47 am

Magic, modern day New York? How does that work?

Artifacts? Amulets?

Shh, my child. All will be explained. Simply ask away...

Also, if you'd like to make a character that uses an amulet, please ask around her first, so that the proper checks and balances can be made. As a rule, amulets typically have a positive effect, but at a cost. While the signets offer the same positive effect, but at a greatly lessened cost.
"In breaking news, the Sky. The Earth.

Life.

Existence as an unchanging plane with horizons of birth and death in faint distance. There is nothing to speak about.

There never was."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Animus Artifacts

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:38 am

First, here's a quick conversation that led to the creation of this thread...

*Takes hat off head*

As for the Signets, I imagined as the whole "Magic contained in blood" thing, like from Harry Potter, but as civilization progressed, it was just diluted enough to keep those even with the most potent bloodlines to do anything but maybe get a buck or two with an odd card trick. The Signets, a result of the Animus energy coming into contact with a potent bloodline, simply leaves some sort of 'brand' on the person that focuses the dormant magic in some way shape or form. Perhaps yes, all magic did originate from the Box, (Hecate I'm looking at you), but that's hardly here nor there, as it seems even those born in seclusion, from the most distant bloodlines still have a small innate amount of magic in the blood. (i.e. Native Americans. The Box never reached the Americas until it entered the eye of archaeologists, and 'treasure' hunters alike.

[. . .]

And, questions are great. It lets me explore new revenues of thought that I may not have had fully fleshed out yet. Keep on the questions if need be. Also, Artifacts/Magic OOC will be up shortly.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:11 pm

The Box

Legend tells of an ornate box given as a wedding gift from the gods to Pandora. Though told to never open this gift, Pandora's curiosity got the best of her, and, in opening it, she released all the evils of mankind. If only that had been true...

The actual box is a weapon of ultimate strength that decimated societies and crushed civilizations until a secret group, the Council of Centuries, took the relic and it's secrets, hiding them from the world. Ultimately its location was lost even to them as the immense weight and secrecy of such a task overwhelmed them, and the world was safe from the box's destruction. But that which is lost must eventually be unearthed, and the box has now been located an transported to present day New York City.

The Box is the source of Animus Energy, which was the spark of life for all of the creatures kept within.

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:22 am

Alle9009 wrote:About the amulets - well, I've got a couple of questions. Are they capable of being passed on to different people, or are they stuck to someone till the day that person dies or specifically passes it on to someone else? Are they capable of being destroyed, and how? I get the feeling that they're conducts for an exchange of power - like in exchange for superstrength they take away your ability to taste for a while, or in exchange for healing powers your stamina is depleted. Is it something like that?

I'll address your questions in reverse order.

Yes, I imagined them quite similarly. Each amulet is different, (being influenced by different "gods"), and offers the user the ability to grasp a small amount of Animus Vitae, (the energy that gives humans 'magical capabilities), for a cost. Using your example, if one were to give you super strength, I doubt it would be something as kind as 'taste'. Typically, 'using' the amulet would put some kind of mental or physical stress on the person. Say, if you lift a car, when you put down the car, it may feel rather like you just lifted a car. Or, for others like teleportation, perhaps the effect would be more mental, like it would give you some kind of vertigo after the action? Other amulets allow limited kenisis of a certain element.

As for how they are passed down, its as simple as picking up whatever object the amulet is, and finding some way of securing it to your body.

And finally, if you plan to use an amulet, make sure you post here, so we can all discuss on the 'fairness' of such an item. Because frankly, an object that grants superhuman strength, but sacrifices only taste, might be a bit overpowered.

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alle9009 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:56 am

Alright, I've thought about it and I've decided that this is what Jacob probably has:

An illusion amulet, probably. Something that he can use to change his appearance, or make images of others. Kinda like holograms. The cost would probably be mental exhaustion and that the illusion has to be cast from keeping an image in the mind. Once concentration is broken, the image is gone. Plus, complex illusions are more difficult. Sight is the most easiest, next to sound, but feel and touch and all senses combined? Really hard.

Barrier amulet - the ability to create barriers. Um, I think something like one which blocks bullets instead of repelling, although if repelling is a possible mode I'm taking it. Hmm. The cost would probably be... well, mental fortitude I guess? I dunno.

The one he got from the dead man - a teleporting amulet. Or something else, I dunno. Haven't quite decide this one yet...

That's all I got. I mean, I do have an idea for a strength amulet that ends with physical fatigue (taste was an example) and a healing amulet that more or less requires physical stamina to heal wounds, but those are just ideas. Not likely to appear unless there's a need for it. Ideas and adjustment ideas are welcome. :D
"Fire flows hot in my blood, sparking through my nerves and veins. Heat curls deep in my belly, enveloping this body with warmth and turning into power. And with this power, everything I will shall burn."

Alle9009
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:30 pm

The illusion one, being the most thought out, is pretty well balanced, though, if your character has my mind, then it would be a rather useless amulet. Basically, focus is key.

As for the barrier, what if he had to be able to physically withstand the impact of the object? Like, you could shoot him all you like and once he gets the barrier up no damage, but he'd have to be able to take the force supplied. Like, if he was in a subway, standing before a train, and he had the barrier up before the train hit him, he'd theoretically be fine, but the impact would still send him flying. And I doubt he'd have the mental fortitude to re-activate his barrier mid-air, after being rammed by a train.

Teleportation would work, but it would likely have some serious downside for using it. I'm thinking of maybe, EXTREME delayed jet-lag, or vertigo. As in, He'd teleport to somewhere, (within line of sight), and based on the distance traveled, it would waylay him with vertigo. If he moved down the hall, a mild headache. Down the block, migrane. But, the adverse side effect would be delayed for longer based on the distance. Say, you teleported past a door your standing in front of, it'd hit several seconds later, whereas if you jump to the next street over, maybe a few minutes.

We can discuss those others as they become relevant. But now, I'll list my two amulets so far, and be sure that they sound fine.

First, Alias is gonna have one, but it's going to be destroyed in the blast. I'm thinking that it will either allow him to go invisible, or literally become a shadow, or smoke-like thing. I like the second, as it's more interesting than your usual, "poof! I'm gone!". So, it would allow him to slip into a shadow, and vanish. The cost wouldn't be as high as if it were just pure invisibility, but it would still fatigue him. I'm not certain the best way to take this one, but perhaps it would limit almost all of his senses while doing so. Like, he can't hear much outside of 5 feet, same for sight, and he can't feel, smell, or taste a thing.

Vix would likely have the one that your character might want to steal. An amulet that allows him to heal wounds. Basically he can get shot, and stand back up holding the bullet over pristine skin. The downside to this, is that he would feel the pain of the injury again, and for a prolonged period of time, as it takes time to heal. This means he could potentially pass out from the pain of healing himself.

Anyway, lemme know what you think about either of these things. And, I wanna know about your thoughts on my critiques.

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alle9009 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:48 am

Ooo, I like the impact one! It'd make sense too - unless the barrier was dug into the ground, the shockwave from the impact would send the user flying back unless they can withstand it because its just like a mental shield turn real. It's like there's no damage but the shock would still be there, like ghost damage! Awesome!

Teleportation=vertigo makes sense too, although I wonder whether the application in real-life combat would work. Probably would have to keep an image in your head so that you can teleport there too. Like teleport spam around the opponent in extremely short distances multiple times in short term. The effect would probably build up to a migraine eventually I guess, like stacked poison effects and he'd still have to deal with the sudden changes in perspective, which can be pretty jarring. I like the delayed side effect too, that's a pretty interesting twist. Would teleporting objects alone or other people work too, or would that require another amulet?

For your amulets, how about concealment instead of hiding in the shadows? Like Kuroko's or Kido (Mekakucity actors) concealment ability. It doesn't make you invisible, but it makes you very hard to notice. Kind of like being a tree in a play where the main actors are stealing the show - people can still see you, but they're more likely to notice something else instead unless you specifically try to call for their attention or something. Maybe the cost could be mental fatigue or the effects are long-lasting? Like the more you use it the more the effects take to wear off.

For the shadow one, I think not being able to feel, smell or taste while in shadow form is pretty good, since you're essentially a shadowbeing. Maybe the effect on sight and hearing is amplified in really bright conditions? Cause although there are more shadows when its bright, if you're not near them you're kinda screwed. So in bright areas like spotlight stadiums where there are few shadows he can only hear or see three feet or so? But in darker situations like a lamppost in the evening his hearing and sight is amplified. Maybe he can even smell or feel a little in especially suitable conditions or something. I dunno.

For the healing amulet, that was kind of what I had in mind too! It's pretty balanced. If I get it right, the pain only hits after the healing is finished in one huge bunch, only to die down to an ache afterwards depending on how serious the wound is? Or is the pain evenly spread for a set period of time only to gradually die down afterwards, originating from where the wound was? Either way, Jacob would definitely like that amulet, although he'd probably dislike the side effects. More incentive not to get injured haha.

And that's what I got. I dunno if it helps, but I hope it does and I think your critiques where pretty helpful. Thanks!

Alle9009
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alle9009 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Got another idea for an amulet, this time for Seth. A speed amulet basically. Allows him to move at short bursts of superspeed. Cost is that the more speed he uses the more winded he gets, and it consumes physical stamina. Kinda like running a marathon no problem only for the gasping and out of breath thing to hit like an hour later. Running short bursts of speed would probably be like sprinting a hundred mile I guess?

Alle9009
Member for 10 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klockwork0reo on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:50 am

I'm not so sure the delay thing would work on this one... but yeah, otherwise it sounds good. Knock yourself out. Though, good luck GETTING one, as... oh wait... Seth is in the Order, so maybe he'd already have it... who knows...

The Order is weird.

Klockwork0reo
Member for 8 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!