Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

short sketch, critique wanted

a topic in Growth, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

New to the literary world? Just want to improve on your already strong literary background? Get tips on your language skills here.

short sketch, critique wanted

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby in_sight on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:08 pm

I just wrote a little piece, what do you think? I know it's kinda short, but I felt it was nothing more to write, no need to elaborate (or perhaps: I don't know how to). I don't have much experience, except from various school assignments (in addition, English is not my native language, so I might have messed up some of the wording because of that), and I have no idea if this is any good or just bs... Well, tell me your thoughts, here it comes:

”Do you know, what time it is?”, X asked suddenly and clearly. The question was directed to no-one in particular in the room.

“Let me guess.”, a sneering voice in the crowd responded.

“Go ahead.”, X calmly interjected before the voice had a chance to continue. While he wasn’t able to distinguish the faces of the people around him, he raised his eyes to blindly stare in front of him, waiting for a second before the voice again spoke, this time with a hint of concealed irritation
“Tea time.”

The room was silent, except the sound of one's own breath, strained by the sultry air. Time was slowing down, each second felt like five. Talking was kept to a minimum, every word uttered and every more-than-slight movement made felt like a effort in the overall drowsy state of mind everyone was in. The time went slower for each minute gone by. X slowly moved his hand to his face and wiped the greasy sweat of his eyelid with the side of his thumb. The atmosphere was unbearable. The thought of a cup of steaming hot tea seemed to make his skin produce a wave of sweat, beginning at the top of his head proceeding down all over his body. He opened his eyes and nodded in the dark, not out of drowsiness, but as in affirmation. A smile was on his face; a short burst of daft laughter disturbed the silence. Suddenly a ringing tone phased in, then a pounding beat. His vision was filled with vague patterns of increasingly bright blinking lights before the world began to spin. He lost his balance and fell down, slowly, down though the chair on which he once sat, descending inwards into his body, letting go of his grip of consciousness, floating away in the fall; time had now come to a complete halt.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

in_sight
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter

Re: short sketch, critique wanted

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:19 am

I hope to return with a more probing critique in a bit, but right now I see one major thing you can correct grammatically. When you are using quotations as part of a larger sentence, you don't need to include the period.

“Let me guess.”, a sneering voice in the crowd responded.

"Let me guess," a sneering voice in the crowd responded. (Corrected)

As I said, I'll be back soon with a more substantive critique of the work as a whole.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!