Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Survey

The Survey

a part of “The Survey”, a fictional universe by CriminalMinds.

Will you or won't you be part of the survey?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Survey”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] The Survey

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 am

My post will be up some time tonight. ;D Sorry it's taken me so long, been busy busy with school work!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 am

I know what you mean, work school and kids keep me all day everyday :< Mine will be up sometime in the next few days as I have Friday to Monday off.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Sweetness. ;D I already have my scene all played out in my head - excited to start writing! ♥

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Okay, I'm about to start writing now. Hopefully I'll come up with something good as I'm a bit brain dead. If not, my post will definitely be up by tomorrow night and I'm hoping to then have the post that moves things along by Sunday night/Monday night depending on things and how many have posted. I'm hoping to have everyone in the main lobby before I move everything along. Until then you can post and interact with the other characters that are there :)

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imagine That! on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:39 pm

I'll be posting tomorrow :)
♥ Life's not the amount of breaths you take; it's the moments that take your breath away. ♥

Watch my boyfriend's Pokemon nuzlocke challenge on youtube? It'll make us both happy! <3 ~ Cam's Nuzlocke Challenge!

Imagine That!
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:07 am

Sorry that I have taken so long to make a post >_< I've been real busy as well as having some writers block. I will definitely be making posts tonight though! :)

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey guys! Soooo sorry I haven't been able to post! I've been swamped with school work, and it's been so hectic lately!

Luckily, I have a 2 week break (as of today) so I'll definitely be making posts :)

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:35 am

=[ Hey guys, I just saw Crim's post in the "I'm leaving thread"

"Okay, so yeah... I've been behind in my RP's and haven't shown my face as much over the last few days and I feel awful for that. On top of having writer's block a few things in RL have popped up that I need to put first. Like my courses and my job. I've been procrastinating so much with one of them that I'm running out of time to complete it. So, I've made a good decision (for once; bad to some of you guys) to leave Gateway for a week or two just to get things sorted out. At worse I won't be roleplaying again until Christmas, depends on things. But, the good news is I will be back at some point.

I'm really sorry to do this to everyone I was roleplaying with but I will be back at some point. Hopefully I can get my life in order and sorted out in the next couple of weeks and be back again. But until then, this is my goodbye. If you wanna get me on my messengers then I think they're in my profile. If not, someone in chat will know.

Until then this is my short goodbye.

Don't miss me too much guys <3"

that's what she said, in case you didn't see it.

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:17 am

Mhm, I saw that yesterday. I think it would be in everyone's best interests to put this RP on halt until Criminal returns.

Black
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imagine That! on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:59 pm

I agree. Still keep an interest, but wait for her return :)

Imagine That!
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:27 am

This, I guess, is the downside of RP - just as a thing looks interesting, it dies. Given what Crim said, she might not be back until Xmas, and when a story is left that long - sorry, but let's face it, it's not gonna get up from its coma!

I'm going to hang around a short while, to see if she returns within a normal time (the two weeks she mooted would be great) after which I guess I'll consider my options.

Alan23
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:05 pm

With that type of Attitude Alan, you'll never achieve anything. You must have faith in things, I swear that's why RPG's failure rate is so high; because of everyone getting bored or impatient with Roleplays. Please stop whining, there are things which -- as people -- we cannot avoid, and thus a break is necessary. The least we can do is re-start the roleplay up when Criminal returns, surely he would enjoy that rather than everyone giving up on him -- he isn't leaving completely, though he could if he really wanted to.

Black
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:55 am

Seriously, Tabris, I really do admire such faith. Idealism like yours should be cherished and nurtured - or there would be no religion, no cults, and advertising would be a waste of time and money. Do hang on to your wonderful capacity for optimism as long as you can. It is people like you that make the world so much more pleasant, for, after all, humanity does not live by gray realism alone.

However, reality being what it is (ie the thing that exists whether one faces it or not), I'm sticking to my original pessimism. As soon as GMs start making noises about "being swamped", "taking a break" "temporary hiatus" etc, then I'm afraid all one can do, in my experience, is grab a bin-liner and start sweeping up the remains of the RP. I've seen it over and over again. I hope I'm wrong and that you're right, 'cos this looked (?looks) a really interesting RP, but...

As a tribute to your commitment, I'm prepared to stick around for a few weeks, to see if Crim returns. However, I am not holding my metaphorical breath.

btw might I suggest that using pejorative terms (ie "whining") and generalisms in your postings against anyone who disagrees with your point of view, is probably not the best way to endear yourself when trying to put forward an argument.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Well someone has to be optimistic in the world, that way there's hope that how -- however dull and dead it is -- reality will change. Reality is harsh, but if I was able to inspire those around me to have faith then maybe -- just maybe -- we'd be able to make the world a better place. Alone one cannot do it, but together a group of people can. No one is more special than someone else, therefore we all have the right to try and change the world; despite our insignificance.

You think every RP I've been in has lived? That my friend is amusing, RPG I known for its failure rate, no RPs I have been in have ever been completed on this site. I have been here long enough to know exactly what goes on, people grow tired and bored of an RP and just abandon it completely and without the common curtsey to say a few words on their departure. I don't blame the site, no, no, the site is amazingly laid out; I blame the people. No one in particular, just the general RPG community. Despite all of that and my mixed views, I stick around because I enjoy Roleplaying and have made a few friends here who will always hold that familiar sense of hope -- that their RPs will become successful -- close to their hearts.

As for how I speak during arguments, I don't see how it matters. Words are words as long as they are spelt correctly. Of course if I just wrote out those two paragraphs above in complete text talk, no one would take me seriously. But on the contrary simple and babyish words are a must in order to get people to listen; let's face it, no one wants to read a giant mass of ornate and flowery writing -- more commonly referred to as 'purple prose'. Why make something more complex than it needs to be? A word like whining, if you know what it means, is basically a term used to describe someone who is complaining and moaning about a certain issue. If you decide to use the term whining, you could argue the fact that the person it is directed at is a rather simple person who cannot understand complex language; a child if you will. I never meant it in that way but I'm merely stating the fact that arguments are successful whatever (complete) language they use.

Black
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:35 am

I think the question of "dying" RPs, unfortunately, is a problem built-in to the art. Unlike, say, writing or reading a novel (where one expects to start a story and stick with it until the end), the very nature of RP, with so many possibilities, means that there is always some new exciting thing to join, and consequently players (or GMs, for that matter) opt out of other RPs that seemed enjoyable at the time, and then became boring. There are other factors, too, I guess - the fact that RP contains a higher than average number of people in school or college, and at certain times academic life makes pressing demands. One can also make a case for saying there are just too many RPs - maybe if there were only one "Werewolves vs Vampires" or "School for the gifted fleeing from society" RP, it would have 50 members instead of potential players being spread over multiple games of the same plot, and would have a better survival chance.

I did boggle at your statement "RPG is known for its failure rate", though you clarified this later on in your post. It's not RPG as such (other sites have a similar failure rate), and while, unlike you, I did once get a 1x1 to a successful conclusion, the chances are unlikely. However, I think one can count a game as a success if it at least lasts for a few months and finishes off a story arc or sub-plot (such as two of the characters getting together and wandering offstage together). I can't see any way out of this, unless a site existed that restricted how many RPs could start (and even made a small charge to submit a character), to limit the freedom of choice available and force more players together. I think this is unlikely to happen, it's obviously against the RPG philosophy, and for obvious reasons. "The Multiverse" appears to be RPG's attempt to address this, but unfortunately that seems to be restricted to a small series of sub-games, with no interaction between the various plots.

Concerning "They Survey", like you, I'd love to see it live and thrive, and as I said before I hope you're right and I'm wrong. i guess time will tell...

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:26 am

Honestly, I've seen people come back a while after pausing a roleplay and the majority of the people are right there waiting for them, and they continue on like nothing ever happened.

It really is just the dedication of the members of the RP to keep that RP going. Once that dedication is lost, there's almost no turning back. Interest is a good thing to keep, but people slowly start to lose it when they see even one negative effect on a roleplay.

Regardless, I will be here when this roleplay starts back up. Not only because Crim is a very good friend of mine on here, but also because I need a break too, and I am ready to RP when she returns.

She's a great GM and [if] she does come back to this roleplay, I'm sure it'll turn out just as great as originally planned.

This next comment is directed to Alan and Tabris: I think the discussion of pessimism and optimism should end here. If the roleplay dies, it dies. If it resumes, it resumes. No point in arguing about whether or not it will happen. Everyone's been through different experiences in the online roleplay world, so no one can be 100% sure that a roleplay dies unless the GM just flat out quits.

Anyways, see you guys around. ♥

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Black on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:07 am

I never ever joined and Rp for Werewolves VS Vampires or high school for the gifted, I find them way too generic and boring, thus I stay away from them. I was once on a site other than this and they limited the amount of RPs open per person to just one, it actually helped everyone and made all of the roleplays there -- more or less -- finish. I never wanted to go into the Multiverse, I prefer set stories rather than one big roleplay full of chaos. I understand many people like it, but it's just not for me... too... disorganized.

I'm with Akita in saying that i'll be staying until Criminal returns. I am busy with college and cannot exactly roleplay like I used to, so a small break for one RP (which I really liked the idea of) is just fine by me, if not helpful.

May fate bring us together once again but in a different Rp. It's been a pleasure working with you all up to this point.

Black
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alan23 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 am

OK then, guess I'll stay. Let's give things a reasonable chance to resume.

Alan23
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LSunday on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:33 am

I'm still sticking around.

LSunday
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DamselOnDrums on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 am

....I really need to check these OOC's more often... Ooof. Well, I'll be here when she returns.

DamselOnDrums
Member for 13 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!