Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

You Have to Burn the Rope

You Have to Burn the Rope

a part of “You Have to Burn the Rope”, a fictional universe by ViceVersus.

It's right over there. Go on. Do it.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “You Have to Burn the Rope”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] You Have to Burn the Rope

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Welcome, Test Subject. Today is the big day!

Oh, by the way. We're sorry for kidnapping you, and removing all of your short-term memory.

Really. We are so very, very sorry.

Right.

Once this elevator stops, the doors will open. You must remember these few things.

1. There is a monster at the end of this tunnel.

2. You cannot hurt him with your weapons.

3. To kill him, you have to burn the rope.

If you and your five fellow Test Subjects kill this monster, you will be returned to your normal lives.

YOU MAY:

- Kill other Test Subjects.

- Kill yourself.

YOU MAY NOT:

- Leave the testing area until the monster has been killed.

- Remember how you got here.

YOU MUST:

- Write posts in the first person.

- Burn the rope.

This is all based very LOOSELY off the flash game "You Have to Burn the Rope", which strives to cut down on complicated, frustrating gameplay often seen today. I have taken the same idea, and am applying it to roleplaying. How often do we get hung up in frustrating plots? How often have we seen great story ideas get off the ground, but then never go anywhere?

The point of this roleplay is, very simply, to come up with a visually striking character (since you won't have memory) and go burn the rope ..

That's it.

Can you do it? You'll need all the help you can get ..

CLICK HERE TO BEGIN.
Last edited by ViceVersus on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: [OOC] You Have to Burn the Rope

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raize on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:29 pm

ViceVersus. I am inviting myself to join your Roleplay. I will spontaneously explode if you do not let me. I am radioactive. I AM GOING TO BE ONE OF THE FIVE PEOPLE! Raize is slightly excited, and a little too enthusiastic.
"Uhhhhhhhhhh." - Karisse

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Raize
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Visual Appeal Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wudgeous on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Not joining, but here to express my love of the idea.

LOL HI RAIZE
ImageImageImageImage

Wudgeous
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raize on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:46 pm

LOLHIWUDGE.

Raize
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Visual Appeal Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Thadine on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Just played the game because I was curious/.
Um...
Is it supposed to be hard? Because I beat it in like....10 seconds. But um...I may join this just because. xDD
"But it was only a fantasy,
The wall was too high as you can see.
No matter how he tried he could not break free,
And the worms ate into his brain."

Thadine
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:09 pm

The game isn't supposed to be difficult! The game is making a point about how sometimes we get too hung up in complicated, frustrating things. In the same way, this roleplay is meant to be a departure from the usual plot twists and unwieldily backstories that are often the death of roleplays before they're even started.

I want to get this going, and have you all burn a rope. And then be done with it - just to prove that we can start, and end a roleplay.

That, and it gives you all experience in writing a fresh character who doesn't remember anything about themselves, forcing you to write in the first person and develop a voice from there.

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Thadine on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:18 pm

Well...
Wow. Alright. I am a bit too used to complicated stuff, I guess. We...all are.
What exactly do we write about the character? Name, age, appearance, personality...everything really but history?
Maybe I wouldn't be suited for this roleplay, I can't force myself to do things like this. 0.o
Unless I learn....
/goes to play the game again/

Thadine
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TasteLikeSnozberries on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Hmm. But you said that we got rid of our short-term memory, not our long-term. Is it really all?

I am really interested in this.

TasteLikeSnozberries
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solo Wing Pixy on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Tempted to apply. Tempted to apply...
We drink to him as comrade must
But it's still the same old story
A coward goes from dust to dust
A hero from dust to glory.

Modesty wrote:Where originality comes in is finding new ways to explore the things that already exist to us. Suddenly red becomes crimson, ruby, scarlet, cherry, carnelian, vermilion, cardinal, sienna, maroon, sorrel, rojo, sanguine. Suddenly red can become a metaphor, a picture, a symbol.

Solo Wing Pixy
Member for 15 years
Contributor Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:27 am

Tempted? Then apply! :D We have two more spots open.

TasteLikeSnozberries brings up an excellent point. I guess it's a matter of interpretation. What I wanted to have happen was that your characters don't remember how or when or where they were "taken" to the current location they were in. I also don't want a great deal of the posts or the dialogue to be about "hi! This is where I came from, this sort of thing."

My goal is to have the posts be breathlessly paced, in the moment, gritty, etc. I want them to test your ability to describe surroundings in the concrete sort of way that we get a taste of your character's sweat on their lips, the crunch of dirt on the walls, the screech of the gates when they inevitably open.

As for Thadine, take a look at some of the existing characters. For the most part, they're just a first person blurb that gives an idea of what the character looks like and what their personality is, not so much a concrete backstory. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what model you pick. I'm not going to be super picky on profiles. As long as you're in it for the experience, then welcome aboard!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:02 pm

We officially have enough characters to get rolling!

Excellence!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TasteLikeSnozberries on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Oh man. I really don't know how to deal with Test Subjects. I have a feeling none of us are going to make it.

TasteLikeSnozberries
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Literally, all you have to do is burn the rope.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:08 pm

On another note, Gasmask (our 5th member!) is over there in the Land Down Under, so his post won't be coming in 'till the morning. I'm waiting for that before I hit the next checkpoint.

Things are progressing well! We might be getting close to burning some ropes fairly soon!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TasteLikeSnozberries on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Okay, I'll wait til tommorow as well, then.

TasteLikeSnozberries
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Hey, guys! I just read over your posts again pretty closely, and I just want to say woo! You guys have done a stellar job in capturing the very essence of your character just from your first person prose. I can read over them and get a clear idea of who's who and what sort of state they're in just from even looking at the shapes of the posts.

It's good writing, it's interesting to read, and we're off on a good start!

Thanks again for being a part of this!

-Sato

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:45 pm

So. You guys have 15 minutes left. Since I couldn't find a way of adding this next bit into the post through dialogue without sounding intensely awkward, here you go:

The hallway is lit dim, but as you go on you can start to see the end of it. It simply stops. There's no ornate door or fancy mechanism. It just appears to be a slab of stone, uncannily smooth like the tunnel walls themselves. Just by looking at it you can tell this isn't natural rock. It was hewn by some other force.

You can touch it if you want. It's cool, just like the rest of the wall. Turning and looking back down the tunnel yields nothing, except a stolid reminder of how far you've come, and how (potentially) little lies ahead of you.

And now all there is to do is wait ..

You can get there whenever you want. When the Administrator speaks next, I'll just assume you guys all made it. Unless Gasmask and Stone_Dog start breaking the other three's ankles.

I know I say it all the time, guys, but thank you so much for being a part of this!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Stone Dog on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:01 pm

my post from yesterday did not show up :( I don't know if I can recreate the madness of that post again

EDIT* I did one better :D

Stone Dog
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:40 am

Go ahead and get yourselves to the point where you're standing in front of that door, if y'all haven't already!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Stone Dog on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:13 pm

ok so now what?

Stone Dog
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!