Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Discovery of King Arthur

The Discovery of King Arthur

a part of “The Discovery of King Arthur”, a fictional universe by Fredalice.

We all know his story, but what we don't know is how everyone met, how the Knights of the Round Table were formed, and how they discovered Avalon. Here you will help me and others fill in those details. (SPOTS OPEN AND ROLEPLAYERS NEEDED!!!)

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Discovery of King Arthur”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] The Discovery of King Arthur

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:27 pm

dig17 is going to make Mordred, but since we do have Morgan Le Fey, I think by Monday if there is still no Mordred we can start anyways.
"I solemnly swear I am up to no good" - Fred and George Weasley

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:27 pm

And so we're off. Please post once and wait till everyone has gotten a post in before posting again.

@dig17: just submit Mordred whenever he gets done.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:39 am

Where would you like me to place Arthur? Does he know he' even of royal blood? Does he think he's just a farmer? What?

"When I see you lately I'm wondering on White roses, caskets Your name on a stone."

Seraph
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Perhaps Arthur should be in Camelot, and maybe that would open up action for Guinevere and/or Gawain. At Arthur's current age in the legends, he would probably know that he's royalty and he would working on uniting the local kings. Usually they say he became Prince Arthur at age 14 or 15. That can be differed with of course. What might also be cool is if we write of Arthur receiving Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake, which would bring him to Avalon.

I am excited about this game. I hope it picks up pace. Perhaps we need to plan a little for what we want to happen.

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:53 pm

If you guys want to plan a little more we sure can, and daughterofdon I like your idea of the Lady of the Lake giving Arthur Excalibur I had the same thought, but it's ultimately up to Seraph since he's Seraph's character (sorry Idk what gender you are so if this sounds choppy and weird that's why).

And I'm going to pm the others here pretty soon to remind them of their commitment to this rp.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:18 pm

What if we compromise? Since we are following the legend of King Arthur of Camelot, the sword in the stone is pivotal. It shows he IS king by accomplishing this great feat of strength. However, the legends seem to give Excalibur some mysticism--it was said to be able to cleave in twain any other weapon.

An excerpt from Wikipedia: In many versions, Excalibur's blade was engraved with words on opposite sides.

In addition, when Excalibur was first drawn, in the first battle testing Arthur's sovereignty, its blade blinded his enemies. Thomas Malory[15] writes: "thenne he drewe his swerd Excalibur, but it was so breyght in his enemyes eyen that it gaf light lyke thirty torchys."

Excalibur's scabbard was said to have powers of its own. Injuries from losses of blood, for example, would not kill the bearer. In some tellings, wounds received by one wearing the scabbard did not bleed at all. The scabbard is stolen by Morgan le Fay and thrown into a lake, never to be found again.

Nineteenth century poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson, described the sword in full Romantic detail in his poem "Morte d'Arthur", later rewritten as "The Passing of Arthur", one of the Idylls of the King:

There drew he forth the brand Excalibur,
And o’er him, drawing it, the winter moon,
Brightening the skirts of a long cloud, ran forth
And sparkled keen with frost against the hilt:
For all the haft twinkled with diamond sparks,
Myriads of topaz-lights, and jacinth-work
Of subtlest jewellery.

So here is my suggestion. He pulls the sword from the stone, but it is later infused with the powers BY the Aurnia a.k.a Lady of the Lake.

Seraph
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dig17 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Sorry about the hiatus y'all, I've had holiday and internet issues. I'm gonna work on a post tonight.

dig17
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:36 pm

Okay, so I'm going to have Arthur around 18-19 for appropriateness, no one wants to feel like a child molester here if they make out with him if he were 15; I digress, that may have been the way back then, to marry young around 13, but lets face it--the strict morality these days and there perversion of our world has obliterated that ideology. As well as the advancements in health.

Seraph
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IronPhoenix on Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 am

Posted.

IronPhoenix
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:38 am

@Seraph: I like your idea, but like I said before, it's mostly up to you since you're playing Arthur.

@IronPhoenix: Thanks for posting!

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 am

Fredalice, what would you say to me making Arthur like a stable boy or squire of a knight; something lowly, till he believes in his destiny? I was thinking his Lancelot could be his buddy and could get him on the way to becoming a king.

Seraph
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:23 am

Right, the issue with Arthur's sword is a little confusing. It's possible that there are really two swords--Caliburn being the one he drew from the Stone, and then Excalibur the one he was given by the Lady. But I really like your solution Seraph. Maybe even the sword can be called Caliburn when he draws it out. When Aurnia gives it power, it can then be renamed Excalibur. That's kind of how the etymology of those names worked, too. Or, even, Aurnia can simply give Arthur the scabbard, since that is a true treasure in itself and if he drew the sword from a stone, it probably didn't come with a scabbard. Plus, that will explain why Morgan returns the scabbard to the Lake.

I see a lot of potential in your Arthur and I think it will much fun to have Lance be his buddy. :)

I have another question... why do we need to have a Mordred at this point? Arthur is not very old, and if Seraph does have him father Mordred, Mordred would only be a little tyke. Mordred is a cool character, I know, but I don't see why he would be written about so early on in Arthur's life... unless he is not Arthur's son?

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Remember Daughterofdon, that Mordred is birthed by Morgan Le Fay in most timeless tales. With the exception of a few; Arthur was tricked into lying with Morgan Le Fay. Presumably under the guise of Guenevere or some chamber maiden before he meets Guenevere.

Wikpedia reports: ) Mordred is a character in the Arthurian legend, known as a notorious traitor who fought King Arthur at the Battle of Camlann, where he was killed and Arthur fatally wounded. Tradition varies on his relationship to Arthur, but he is best known today as Arthur's illegitimate son by his half-sister Morgan le Fay.

With that said, I believe Morgan enhances her illegitimate heir to do battle with Arthur to steal the crown from him because SHE wants it herself.

*Edit

As from Wikipedia:

Morgan le Fay /ˈmɔrɡən lə ˈfeɪ/, alternatively known as Morgane, Morgaine, Morgana and other variants, is a powerful sorceress in the Arthurian legend. Early works featuring Morgan do not elaborate her character beyond her role as a fay or magician. She became much more prominent in the later cyclical prose works such as the Lancelot-Grail and the Post-Vulgate Cycle, in which she becomes an antagonist to King Arthur and Queen Guinevere. She is said to be the daughter of Arthur's mother, the Lady Igraine, and her first husband, Gorlois, Duke of Cornwall, so that Arthur (son of Igraine and Uther Pendragon) is her half brother.

Seraph
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Well because I figured we needed a bad guy, so to speak, and remembered that Mordred was one of more evil characters in the Arthur legend so I put him down, and then we added Morgan Le Fey on request, so there you go. But since the character is already made I think we should just go with it and see what happens.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:29 am

Okay, it should be interesting with this Mordred. I like his profile.

I'm wondering if I could have a second knight... I'm thinking Kay, and I would station him in Camelot so Guinevere could have some interaction.

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:27 am

Sounds good, just let me know when you've submitted the character.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:32 am

May I play Meleagant?
Nothing to see here

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Yeah sure, but just know that the reservation period only lasts three days.

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:53 pm

No problem, character is submitted. I am sorry about the history but I lost it twice and frankly, I'm annoyed at having to write it a third time. I can if you wish or you can trust me and I will flesh it out in the IC. Thanks!

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fredalice on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey no problamo, happens to me a lot of time too

Fredalice
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!