Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Battle of the Sexes

Battle of the Sexes

a part of “Battle of the Sexes”, a fictional universe by Scumbag_Brain.

In a fantasy realm where only women possess magic, men rely on technology to ensure their independence. Pursue peace or strive for victory in a battle of the sexes. Female coGM needed.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Battle of the Sexes”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Battle of the Sexes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:47 pm

Ask me anything about the game or setting you like, I will be glad to elaborate. Also feel free to propose any character ideas you are uncertain about.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Battle of the Sexes

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Commisar_Gaunt on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Can I be a guy who despises the split and works to bring the two sexes together? He'll probably work with exiled woman and men from both sides

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Commisar_Gaunt
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 pm

@Commisar: Yes of course, but keep three things in mind

1) The two nations have been at war for centuries and the cultural ideas behind that war are even older. There have been atrocities committed on both sides and hawks on both sides with significant clout continue to stoke the flames of hate. In other words, its like Palestine on steroids.

2) As a renegade you will have no real home. The Wilds are simply not an option unless you are somehow specially trained to survive there or are extremely powerful (aka a sorceress). Because of this you will most likely have to operate 'underground' within one of the two nations.

3) Many of the people living outside the law, as with any society, will be criminals. One element that will be a major player are the various smuggling rackets channeling alcohol and other contraband south into Thea. You are unlikely to find many idealists among this crowd who want to heal the divide (in fact most would have an economic incentive to keep the divide), but if you choose to live outside the law it means working with them for better or worse.

Hope this helps.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nightgem on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:43 am

This is *such* an interesting premise. Very original. And I love that you've included a transgender element. However, I am wondering why you're asking people play a character of their own gender?

Nightgem
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Nightgem wrote:However, I am wondering why you're asking people play a character of their own gender?

That is a very good question. To be honest I did not make that rule lightly. I considered allowing people to play either gender, but choose eventually to disallow it for a few reasons.

1) It makes the game more original because most games do not restrict players in this manner.

2) It makes the game a sociological experiment on top of everything else.

3) I don't think most people who write the opposite gender actually do a good job. I must admit my favorite fantasy author, Tanya Huff, is horrible at writing male characters who are usually static reflections of female expectations. My own female characters tend to be far more assertive and prone to aggression than most women are in reality. Even Ursula K Le Guin, the Supreme Goddess of the English language and all things fantasy, presents the reader with male characters who are largely androgynous.

4) Whenever you put women and men in the same organization, men tend to drown out the female voice since they are in general far more competitive and ego driven. If they don't outcompete women they tend to annoy them to the point that women just leave. This is the reason feminist organizations allowed men back in the sixties but gradually changed their policies. In modern times you can see the phenomena in discussion boards where the conversation may start out with equal participation but by the end its an all male epic battle of the butthurt basement dwellers. Since I absolutely want the Thean side to be dominated by and reflect the female mindset, I must be resolved to keep guys out (self included).

5) It forces men to play underpowered characters who must succeed by wit, planning and knowledge rather than brute force. Since almost all power players are male this effectively kills two birds with one stone.

Reflecting on point 4 has lead me to the conclusion that I should probably recruit a girly coGM for this game as having me NPCing powerful sorceresses in Thea would defeat the whole point. If anyone lurking wants the job just ask, you can still play a character and leave global events, monsters and the main plot to me. However, you would need to step in whenever high ranking Thean NPCs are required.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:41 pm

1) Restricting one's options doesn't help originality.

2) Unless you're attempting to fail your sociology class with this, that shouldn't be a factor.

3) Just because you and the people your a fanboy of haven't been able to satisfy what you believe a female (or male) should act like, doesn't mean that everyone should be refused the chance to slap you across the face with talent that's above you or those people I've never heard of. And you really have no way of making that point without making the false point that women are all the same and anyone different is just being unrealistic.

4) This roleplay doesn't take place in a world where men have dominated society for millennium, women would have likely developed quite a bit of ego and competitiveness since they're the ones with power, not men. Don't apply real world sociology to a fantasy world without editing in the new factors. Also, people posting on forums aren't valid evidence to be used for any argument other than things directly related to forums.

5) We don't live in a time where brute force really accomplishes anything anymore. You can't club your way into becoming a CEO or president anymore, unless of course it's different where you live. Power playing also doesn't require you to be an overpowered god in the roleplay. And let's not forget the sexism that oozes from your statements straight into my ever decreasing respect for your ideas.

For someone who wants to roleplay in a world that forces men to play the underclass, even though they aren't anymore with the tanks and their own phalocracy and all that, you don't seem to have a very progressive view of the fairer sex, especially with the adjective of "girly," though I'm willing to hold onto my hope that you just meant female by that.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Lifecharacter wrote:1) Restricting one's options doesn't help originality.

2) Unless you're attempting to fail your sociology class with this, that shouldn't be a factor.

3) Just because you and the people your a fanboy of haven't been able to satisfy what you believe a female (or male) should act like, doesn't mean that everyone should be refused the chance to slap you across the face with talent that's above you or those people I've never heard of. And you really have no way of making that point without making the false point that women are all the same and anyone different is just being unrealistic.

4) This roleplay doesn't take place in a world where men have dominated society for millennium, women would have likely developed quite a bit of ego and competitiveness since they're the ones with power, not men. Don't apply real world sociology to a fantasy world without editing in the new factors. Also, people posting on forums aren't valid evidence to be used for any argument other than things directly related to forums.

5) We don't live in a time where brute force really accomplishes anything anymore. You can't club your way into becoming a CEO or president anymore, unless of course it's different where you live. Power playing also doesn't require you to be an overpowered god in the roleplay. And let's not forget the sexism that oozes from your statements straight into my ever decreasing respect for your ideas.

Is it the internet that makes people like this or were they this way before and I just didn't notice?

1) Unique is the correct word in this context, not original, my mistake.

2) I never said I was submitting it to a journal, its just interesting to see how people react or over-react...

3) My point was that many talented authors have failed to do it. I never claimed no one could do it.

4) Whether women in a matriarchal society would change to conform to their new social role is a very fascinating question and it is one I fully intend to explore in the RP. There are a number of similar questions which arise out of the game's concept, for example, would the men in Thea adapt to becoming primary caregivers or would they rebel against this role and seek out those pursuits considered by us to be masculine? All such questions shoot to the core of the nature vs. nurture debate and each player has a chance to take their own stand on that debate through how they play their character. Pretty neat, right.

5) There are many different kinds of force, not all of which require one to walk around with a club on one's shoulder and say, "Oook!" Furthermore, let me be clear, men and women are different. We have different bodies and different brains. Recognizing this fact does not make me sexist. Sexism is the belief that our differences make one sex superior to the other or that they warrant differential treatment under the law.

Lifecharacter wrote:For someone who wants to roleplay in a world that forces men to play the underclass, even though they aren't anymore with the tanks and their own phalocracy and all that, you don't seem to have a very progressive view of the fairer sex, especially with the adjective of "girly," though I'm willing to hold onto my hope that you just meant female by that.

You forget here that there are two nations in the world. Only in Thea do women dominate. In Daedra the situation is reversed. If I focused on Thea, it was only because this is the situation most alien from our perspective. The story is not just a simple role reversal, it also involves the interactions between two diametrically opposed societies. As for the question of whether I meant the term 'girlyGM' as slander, I do not really think I should justify it with a response.

Before coming to the internet you should really reconcile yourself to the reality that other people think differently than you. Insulting them does nothing to change their opinions, it only makes you appear very immature by comparison. If you want to fervently debate gender differences and sociology please go to the discussion board. This is not the place for it or at least it isn't if you can not do so politely. I believe the sort of rude posting in which you are engaging is a violation of the spirit of this site's rules of conduct. Though I am loathe to report people, I will have to do so if you continue on in this manner.
Last edited by Scumbag_Brain on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lifecharacter on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:19 pm

I will hold that "flaming" and "arguing passive aggressively" are two different things but don't worry, I'm not here to change your mind, just to point out the flaws in your statements in my normal manner of speaking.

And your right, this isn't the place for gender studies and sociology, but you made it a place to discuss your reasoning for limiting character creation and therefore nothing I have brought up has been improper. I have lost any interest in this that I could possibly have had so you may return to crafting your world where answering some but not all is acceptable and in place of those abandoned answers, assumptions about others run rampant.

Lifecharacter
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FireFlame on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:28 pm

so can I join?

FireFlame
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Lifecharacter wrote:I have lost any interest in this that I could possibly have had so you may return to crafting your world where answering some but not all is acceptable and in place of those abandoned answers, assumptions about others run rampant.

I'm not really sure what this means, but everyone's views on sex and gender are welcome here so long as they can be expressed politely and don't stem from hate. I intend this story to incorporate everyone's ideas through their character and the NPCs and subplots they introduce.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:47 pm

FireFlame wrote:so can I join?

What a refreshingly simple and noncondescending question. Yes, of course. You only need submit a character and try to follow the rules. Know, however, that I will not begin the RP until we have at least 5 participants.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raziel . on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Could you make a character Skelly please?

Raziel .
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:54 pm

@Raziel Done. Its in the character section of the intro.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raziel . on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:56 pm

Thank you very much :)

Raziel .
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wheatley on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Is it possible to make two characters? I want to make a soldier for the Daedran side, and a hubby for the Thean side.

On that note: Does anyone want a free hubby? :P

Wheatley
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 am

Wheatley wrote:Is it possible to make two characters? I want to make a soldier for the Daedran side, and a hubby for the Thean side.

On that note: Does anyone want a free hubby? :P

Usually I like to keep it to one player one character so that players really begin to identify with their character and the side in the story he/she represents.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scarlet Bullets on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:09 pm

I assume there is enough spots left for my to clarify that I am joining... So... I am joining... Please, of course. :o
"Don't be shocked, that people die. Be surprised, your still alive."

Scarlet Bullets
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:51 pm

@Scarlet Gratz for being the first approved character. Nice to know the story will have a 'good' villain.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scarlet Bullets on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:35 pm

@ScumbagBrain Thank you very much. I hope this roleplay does well. It's very interesting and I love the work you put into it. Not trying to be a kiss ass, but, It's true, not many think of creative ideas that have what if worlds like this.

Scarlet Bullets
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:54 pm

@Scarlet Thanks. I hope we will get more players, only time will tell.

@ALL I added a new section to the intro on Outlaws (ie. those who live outside the law of their respective nations). Daedran outlaws being mostly female will be focused on magic, its teaching and preservation. They operate in semi-isolated groups called covens and are mercilessly hunted by Inquisitors. The Thean outlaws are more akin to 1920s rum-runners and flappers. They operate a hidden world of speakeasies and brothels within the old country. A small part of the Thean underground, however, will be devoted to the dissemination of forbidden scientific knowledge.

I welcome people playing outlaw characters but remember that I will not go easy on such characters and death or incarceration is always a possibility on either side of the border.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!