Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Light Heart, A Kung Fu Epic

Light Heart, A Kung Fu Epic

a part of “Light Heart, A Kung Fu Epic”, a fictional universe by Scumbag_Brain.

The people of Mount Shenlon are different. They can fly. The Masters of the Jade Empire want the technique for themselves and will stop at nothing to get it.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Light Heart, A Kung Fu Epic”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Light Heart, A Kung Fu Epic

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:16 am

There are no dumb questions. Ask me anything.
Last edited by Scumbag_Brain on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Light Heart, A Kung Fu Epic

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sneakyrio on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 am

This looks very promising. Are you going to put up a character sheet?
Image[URL=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][/img]

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sneakyrio
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm

@Sneakyrio No I don't use character sheets. They are kind of like training wheels and I want players who are advanced enough that they no longer need them. I know that from a player's perspective this can be annoying, but it helps keep out the fail without me having to reject folks. I will, however, edit the intro so as to be a tad more specific about what I want in a character submission.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby clover honey on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Very interesting concept, I'll work on a character and should have her up by this evening. Hope this one goes well, so far everyone I've joined haven't started yet. It's a little discouraging to say the least, but I hope this one gets off to a good start.
Image Image Image Image

clover honey
Member for 12 years
Promethean Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:07 pm

@Clover_honey Cool character. I am accepting but she is missing the description of her wushu style (that which she learned from her brother). This is very important in a martial arts epic since a character's style reflects their personality and grants the reader a window into their soul. Please add this before we begin. It is fine if she is a beginner and knows only basic forms, this too can reflect her character.

I should also remind you that the Shien do not discriminate. They all know kung fu, boy or girl, adult or child. Have you seen Shaolin Soccer? The protagonist in the film dreams of a world where everyone knows and uses kungfu in daily life and for mundane tasks. The Shien are like this, they live and breathe wushu. As a result, they would likely be at a loss to teach anyone. How do you teach someone to breathe?

That being said, it is very likely your character does not know any of this and assumes (as many likely do) that Shenlon is simply the home of some advanced school of kung fu. Assuming this, it makes perfect sense why your character would cross dress but should she make it to the mountain top, the Shien would likely be either confused, amused or both.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jayu on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:16 pm

About the rule of needing to know something about Chinese culture, is it alright if I join? I take Chinese at school and I would like to be in this RP to see how much I know and remember. Also, is it okay if my character stayed in South Korea for maybe a long period of time? Because I was kind of hoping that my character would also know Tae Kwon Do. you see, I have a thing for Asian culture ^.^
"You should look at the forest, but you keep looking at a tree..." - Verbal JintTomato, Toh Mah Toh, it's the same as saying that there's plenty of other fish in the sea..
Oh well, still love those lyrics though :P
*Cheezy Grin*

Jayu, it means freedom <3
...can you guess what language?

Jayu
Member for 12 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sneakyrio on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Thanks man, I just needed some kind of direction to go with my Character. I can start work on him right now. I was just wondering how you felt about Cantonese martial arts such as the animal styles. Though in the Jade Empire it would probably be simply known as the "South".

Sneakyrio
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 pm

@Jayu Although based on Chinese Culture, the world itself is fictional and could be thought of as an 'oriental-themed fantasy'. You are, of course, free to use geographical regions and schools of martial arts as inspiration (I certainly did, Mount Shelon is based on Mount Wudang).

@Sneakyrio I am willing to accept anything that stays within the broad Chinese theme. Although you are right that we should refrain from duplicating specific regions since this is fictional, I would expect something more creative than 'the South.'

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby clover honey on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Scumbag_Brain, I finished my character I put something down for her Wushu I hope thats what you looking for. I actually like the idea of her trying to make the trip up the mountain and being caught up in all the drama only to find out there isn't a school. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment, anyway thanks for already accepting her you didn't have to do that till I was done. Any way I hope to see this start, and I'm looking forward to Rp'ing with everyone.

clover honey
Member for 12 years
Promethean Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sneakyrio on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Hey, quick question. Is there........magic. I don't want my character performing magic or anything like that, but i wanted to know if there are things like sorcerers and demons and spirits or anything of that nature. This information will help me create a better character, thank you.

Sneakyrio
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:01 pm

@Sneakyrio That's a good question. All effects in the story which bend the laws of physics should be explainable as a form of wushu. A martial artist may call his stance the Coiled Lung (dragon) and he may even claim that the spirit of a dragon resides in the tatoos imprinted on his body, but at the end of the day all his powers come from himself.

Particularly flashy displays like using your chi to heat air and hurling a fireball are possible, but the mark of naive rather than skilled artists. Methods such as these waste qi and a fight will often be won by the person who's reserves last the longest. This is why the great masters will often have the least flashy techniques, using a fist rather than a fireball or a pair of chopsticks rather than a heavy sword.

Mystic rituals involving the transfer of qi, the drawing of poison, or the healing of certain energetic wounds are totally acceptable but again are a form of wushu and will usually involve some sort of bodily contact or the use of pressure points. A good example of something like this comes from a very campy but very epic 70's kung fu flick. In the scene, three women martial artist charge the male protagonist with their chi striking each of his chakras. Their Yin energy complements his Yang and transforms him into a super bad ass, who's balanced style is the ultimate form of Tai Chi.

Basically, when in doubt check the theme. This is a kung fu story, so if what your doing looks more like wizardry than kung fu, that's a no-no.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:35 pm

@All Added two new sections to the Intro. One on the Empire's religion which is based on Taoism and Chinese folklore and another on the Huangfeng, a large flightless bird of colorful plumage used by the upperclass as mounts and status symbols. This will probably be my last additions to the intro unless someone points out something which is desperately needed.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jayu on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:35 am

Sorry, I really like the whole idea and theme of this RP, but I don't think I'll be able to join this. I don't know if I could handle it cause' I'm still kind of new in RPG and I'm still involved in three or four other active roleplays. Again, I am terribly sorry :(

Jayu
Member for 12 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:00 am

@Jayu No worries, mate.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!