Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Ballad of Miss Mary-Sue

a part of “The Ballad of Miss Mary-Sue”, a fictional universe by Nephthys.

Even perfection has its blemishes. In the face of the unwinding of reality itself, the 'chosen ones' find themselves in a rather... odd predicament.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Ballad of Miss Mary-Sue”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nephthys on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Hey there! Welcome to The Ballad of Miss Mary-Sue. Questions? General chat? It all goes here.

And if my introduction was totally long, boring, and/or confusing, please don't be deterred from making a character. Just ask for clarification. We totally want you here, so don't just walk away!

I am so going to guilt you into playing. Just you wait.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nephthys
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Re: The Ballad of Miss Mary-Sue

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nephthys on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:24 pm

A great 'character sheet,' if you will, from limyaael, writer of the Sue Classifications:

Full Name, plus titles (if any):
Full Species(es): (Sue-type and actual species)
Hair Colour:
Eye Colour:
Unusual Markings/Colourations:
Unusual Possessions:
Annoying Origin: (History)
Annoying Special Abilities:
Other Annoying Traits:

:p use this in conjunction with the other necessary information and I will love you forever a brief period of time.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nephthys
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XShishioX on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 pm

I looked at this in my feed and was all like, "Nah, that GM can't possibly mean what I think they mean. That would be completely outrageous, people would be warping reality left and right and we could have whole universes full of silliness. That would be far too ridiculous and the GM would die from insanity overload."

............ Aaaaaaand then you did it. I might just make a character so I can laugh at it and feel good about my ability to make not stupidly overpowered characters. Cheers mate, this is brilliant.
Peace. Love. Life. You've only got one run, why waste it?

XShishioX
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:49 am

roleplay/the-multiverse/characters/mary-susan

Now if only I could pull Marin away from World of Warcraft's pretty moving pictures. <<

This roleplay is absolutely scathing in how accurately it sums up the existence of these things. It's brilliant in that regard. However, as a GM, you best be ready to dig your heels in regarding Sue powers if you want to present any meaningful challenge.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nephthys on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:10 am

But... but see, since we're all Sues here...

Casey has used the defensive move, 'Not That Kind of Guy!'

Anyway. The thing about powers is:

a) In terms of interpersonal relationships, it's up to the players to play them with responsibility— though, in the technical sense, these characters are Mary-Sues, we shouldn't play them like we're the type of people who would create Mary-Sues. Any responsible RPer will let his or her character fail at some point even if the option of failure has never presented itself to the character in the past. Remember, these Sues are out of their element. While a real Suethor would continue making the Sue even more what it is, hopefully we can move beyond that :/ And remember: when you pit two things that are unable to fail against each other— well, let's just say that two perfectly 'equally strong' things only exist in the world of thought exercises and lab conditions. One thing is always a bit weaker than another in some sense, even if it is as strong as diamonds. They might have been created as Sues, but we're going to play them as realistic, if not overpowered, people. Yes, they can fail.

b) I'mma going to go add something about character development in a while. Probably.

c) Again, we don't suck as RPers and (I hope) we're not going to get into a little whiny flame-fit when, shockingly, the Big Bad and his 'minions' are able to last longer than expected.

d) I'll dig my heels in when necessary. Don't worry. Overpowering to some extent is okay, but creating an omniscient, omnipotent character is very different from giving her the Sue-power of... mind-reading or prescience or something.

If it's going to be annoying instead of funny, please don't do it >> that is all.

Also. SueLit of the Day.

</wallOfText>

Nephthys
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nephthys on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:36 pm

<AngryRant rant:rantId="@+id/myComputerHatesMe"
rant:rantSize="mildlyLong"
rant:rantReadUrgency="notReallyUrgentButStillKindaImportant"/>

Gaiz. My flash memory decided to self-combust along with all of my RAM for no reason in particular, thus sending my computer into MASSIVE HARDWARE FAILURE, F*CK YOU, I'MMA NOT BOOT MODE. So I'm not going to be typing anything long for a few days until I can unbury my old clunker of a laptop.

The worst part? My entire CS disappeared. Because I decided, of all the silly things, to write it IN THE ACTUAL BROWSER WINDOW. Bad idea. So while my actual storage memory and all my files are 100% intact, genius me has to write the character all over. Seriously, that is the most muse-killing thing ever.

This is by no means the end of the RP >__> Just expect it to be, like, next week before I can get anything done. If I'm AWOL, I'm either writing the entire memory of my computer to an external drive and praying to the Elder Gods of Darkness and Rainbow Bunnies for deliverance or seriously AFK.

</AngryRant>

So. Yeah. TT_TT and if that syntax sucked, it's because I can't see through my own metaphorical tears of raeg.

Nephthys
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XShishioX on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm so sorry... I know your pain ma'am.

EDIT: I've submitted a WIP, should be finished soon. For now, I just wanna sleep. :P

XShishioX
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!