Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Otherside

a topic in Fantasy Roleplay, a part of the RPG forum.

If you would like to make your own roleplay based in a fantasy realm (dragons, elves, magic), use this forum. You will be in charge of all things related to your roleplay, so you're on your own here.

Re: Otherside

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:52 am

” She seems nice. I would have never pegged you for a teacher though....”

A shadow of a smile grace Max’s lips, though whether at the compliment to Lex or the comment about his teaching career it wasn’t certain. He was quiet a moment as his gaze fell on his glass of fine, finger running around the rim in absent thought before he hastily (neurotically) wiped both hand and class with the white linen napkin he had left atop his empty plate.

“Seems like a lifetime ago.” He said, dismissing the nostalgia in exchange for a much more tantalizing present. The truth was that there was a certificate or something somewhere on his wall of achievements constantly on display in his nearly always locked study, though the latter made it irrelevant. It had played to his advantage that he’d been alive long enough to remember when Latin was genuinely spoken and wasn’t listed as a ‘dead’ language.

Oh I know, you are a superhero, one who runs out on breakfast disagreements to save people they read about in the paper and now you are trying to save me from your arch nemesis who has threatened to kill anyone in your life.”

This time he laughed, light and genuine through and through.

“Something like that.” He nodded, hand reaching out to grab the wine glass that’s content was as rich as the humour. If Maxwell noticed Ivy’s scrutiny he didn’t show any signs. Instead, he raised his goblet in kind.

“To nonsense and trouble.” He seceded, clicking crystal against crystal and taking a lengthy sip.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Maxwell sat at a dinner table, the vinyl bench covering crackled uncomfortably as he stretched a long arm across the back. He was clean-shaven, and physically appeared a few years younger though age was relative in his line of work. His hair was combed up, slicked in a pomp that promised several showers wouldn’t remove the grease from his hair- but such was the style of the time. The noise quieted as a mechanical arm picked up a record in the jukebox and set it to needle in time for Max to hear the man across from him clear his throat.

“I just don’t get it, Max. Trouble seems to follow you like a shadow you just can’t shake, yet you seem to cut out like you were made in the shade.”

Max grinned. “What can I say, I’m as charming as the devil and as clever as a fox.”

“Well ain’t that a coincidence, because I wouldn’t trust either of ‘em.” The man signed, pushing away his cola as he leaned back in the bench.

Max sobered, eyes locked on his confidant. “Trust your instincts, Ivan. “

Ivan looked away. “Look, I know it’s not your bag, but all I’m saying is that you should cool it for while. You’re making the Council nervous, and they don’t like to sweat.”

“There wouldn’t be a Council if it weren’t for me.” All the humour was gone from his tone as he stared intently across the table. The man, younger, looked uncomfortable. His eyes stared out the window, voice low and defeated.

“I know, Max. I know…”

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

“What do you say we take the wine home and I can show you some of my superpowers?” His eyes smoldered, letting the innuendo hang in the air between them.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Modesty
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Her eyes followed his hands as he wiped the glass and then his hands clean in typical Maxwell fashion. He was quiet and seemed a bit lost in thought for a brief time.

Maxwell’s laugh, a real true laugh lit his face and Ivy couldn’t help but smile back, almost forgetting the oddness that had recently occurred. HIs smile was addictive. Ivy gave herself a slight pinch. Oh no, no none of that now. Focus.

He referred to it all as nonsense. While trouble was something she felt seemed to be attracted to both of them she wasn’t willing to dismiss everything else as nonsense. Alexis had said a lot that made Ivy very alert and curious. Or we can let it go from now and enjoy the evening...

As if reading her thoughts Maxwell suggested they leave. The feel of the evening suddenly shifted. Her mouth pulled up at the edges, her eyes shining slightly as Ivy leaned forward onto the table.

“I have had the benefit of some of those powers unless you are telling me there are some you have kept hidden...” She paused, dark eyes locking on his. “...in which case I say where is the waiter?”

Ivy’s voice was low and sultry. She was simultaneously turned on and kicking herself for being so easily swayed. She had wanted to question him more, see if she could find out why Alexis referred to the HDD and magic. Yet here she was willing to push aside all her training, all her instincts because Maxwell suggesting they retire to other activities.

She pulled her eyes away in order to find the waiter. Spotting him she lifted a hand, calling him over.

“Can I get you something?” He looked confused, the table returning to it occupancy of two once more.

Ivy looked to Maxwell, her eyes questioning him once more that this was what he wanted.

“I think we’d like our food and wine to go.”
----
Hector was not happy. It was occurring to him that the person he sought might be in the restaurant for a long time. It was one of those places where people dressed up, ate expensive odd food and drank pricey wine.

He sighed, grumbling to himself about having to be an errand boy and realizing he wasn’t exactly sure how he was going to approach the woman, especially knowing she was a hunter. His hand slipped into his pocket where his pocket knife rested.

“If she is alone I will just grab her, pull her into an alley or something. Get what I need and bolt. Gotta make sure she can’t follow me. Those hunters are all runners and good at following.”

He huffed. “If she is with someone..maybe pretend I am gonna mug them. She might not fight if she is with a normal type person...that’d be best cause she won’t want to be all ‘look at me’.”

Hector was convinced now that he had a plan that would work.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:25 pm

“C’mon love, don’t you know you should never play your best hand first?”

It was the heavy weight of the anodized titanium credit card that boasted the high net-worth of the preferred customer was what really set things into motion. The dishes and glassware where whisked away as if the American Express card had been a spell to make all things seen vanish. A cordless machine was produced, swiped and pen offered to which Maxwell scrawled his name in beautiful penmanship.

Max held up Ivy’s coat, fingers gracing her soft skin as he slid it over her slender body. His hands turned her towards him, adjusting the collar in just a way that his fingertips lightly grazed her collarbones and the hollow of her neck where his lips wished to wonder. Green gaze matched hers, pausing a moment in knowing full well that the brief moment of contact was enough to match her thoughts to his own. In his mind, they were already in the car sans a few pieces of clothing with her skirt hiked.

The waiter cleared his throat. Thank-yous were offered as a to-go bag was produced that was stocked full of meals emitting a savory aroma, and a half-bottle of wine that likely wouldn’t make it all the way back to his flat. Max nodded, placing his hand on the small of her back to guide her towards the door.

“Lets go.” He said, voice low and husky.

------

A newspaper dropped on a tabletop, stubby finger stabbing a picture of a bloody symbol. It was the same article Max had responded to less than a day ago. The façade of the older man did not looked pleased; gnarled eyebrows in salt and pepper hues knit into an angry scowl.

“Shit is going south, and quick.”

A thinner man, much the same age, sat back as he intertwined his fingers over his knee. The reaction of his colleague and the article didn’t seem to surprise him. He just nodded, contemplating.

“How long are we going to sit back and watch this happen? This isn’t the minor leagues; why are we letting rookies throw our game?”

The thinner man laughed. “Calm yourself, Charles. It’s being handled.”

Charles scowled. “Doesn’t look like it. There’s virgins and beasts of burden getting sacrificed right, left and center. How long `til hunters get in on this fray? Or the fanaticals? Are you going to clean up the media storm, Vern?”

Vern’s smile faded. “Cattalus is on it.”
“GREAT. FUCKING PERFECT. THE WORLD IS FUCKING SAVED!” Charles yelled, dramatically sweeping the newspaper and the rest of the contents off the table and on to the floor.

Vern did not look impressed. Charles fell back in the chair, holding his head.

“You may not be fond of the man b-“

“He’s a goddamn cowboy.” Charles said, muffled into his head.

“Yeah, but let him bring a gun to a knife fight. Even if you don’t like his methods, he has results.” Vern said.

“I think you’re sellin’ your soul to the devil, Vern. There’s a reason the council as a whole votes against him.” Charles looked tired.

“I know. But I’d rather have him on my side than against me.”

Charles nodded, that much was true.

Modesty
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:16 pm

The flurry of activity began, the table stripped bare as she stood and Max stood with her. What has gotten into you Maxwell? What is going on in that brilliant and sexy head of yours? She was used to the attraction between them but it was born out of frustration and proximity nothing personal. Right from the invitation to dinner this whole evening felt more personal. It wasn’t that she was complaining, far from it, it was just in her nature to question and solve a mystery.

As Maxwell held her coat up and she slipped into it Ivy could smell his cologne. Subtle, sophisticated. Like him. He turned her and Ivy moved under the strong hands. She had to try hard not to shiver a little as Maxwell’s fingers grazed her skin. Good god I can’t wait to get home.

Their eyes were locked and it took some effort for the waiter to get their attention. Ivy smiled seductively as Max took the offered food and wine. A hand steered her to the door and she gladly moved. She remained close, letting that hand stay on her lower back, leading her. She knew where they were headed but the contact left her with a heady feeling that she didn’t want to end.

The maitre d’ saw them approach and with a smile quickly moved to open the door for them. “Have a good evening.”

Ivy smiled. “We intend to.”

The air hit her face and she immediately felt chilled. The restaurant hadn’t been that warm but the last few minutes had left her body temperature slowly rising. Ivy moved just slightly closer to Maxwell for as much contact as possible.
Across the street Hector was growing increasingly bored. He sighed somewhat dramatically and internally whined about not bringing food or stopping for coffee.

Across the street the door of the restaurant opened and a couple came out. They looked cozy. He was ready to dismiss them when the stone in his pocket went nuts. “Damn it!”

Hector knew he needed to move quick. He waited, watching what direction they started to walk, hoping that they would need to walk a bit before getting to their car or hailing a cab. Now or never His advantage was they looked too absorbed in each other to be worried too much about their surroundings.

The large man jogged down the street heading away from them on the opposite side. He crossed to their side of the road and with a big inhale took off in a run towards them. His goal was to knock into them, grab her hair, her purse or anything and everything he could from her.

He wanted to close his eyes but didn’t as he slammed into her back. Hector’s large body hit the man too but the woman took the brunt of the hit just as force just as he intended.
Ivy looked up at Max. “You know you sure know how to make dinner intes-”

Something hit her. She cursed herself for not being more alert as she fell forward. Her arms went out to catch herself but whoever was falling with her was big and her arms buckled. The pavement was hard as she landed, the air knocked from her lungs. She tried to gasp but it hurt.

Hector fell with her but he knew what was coming. He readied himself, one hand to the ground the other in her hair. He pulled at the strands. Her head jerked with the motion. He managed a few strands and in an effort to make it seem like a robbery also yanked her earring from her ear before trying for the necklace at her neck as well.

Ivy gritted her teeth. Hands pulled her hair, her ear was in pain and the pulling of her necklace cut off her air. She tried to roll, to fight the body on her but he was strong and she had no desire ‘to show off’ with Max there. Robbery, let him take the jewelry.. It bothered her to play the victim.

Hector felt the chain give way, her head fall forward and he bolted off not wanting to risk being there any longer. He didn’t know what the man was doing or what had happened when he hit him. Hector was single minded, the woman and the woman only.

With all the energy he had left he ran off down the street, darting into the first alley he could find. She hadn’t fought back but she was a hunter and he wasn’t willing to stop until he could get back to his car and drive off.

In his hand were a necklace, sure to have skin on the chain, an earring with blood from being ripped out as well as some hair. He smiled knowing she’d be pleased with him.

Ivy was gasping and trying to push herself up. Her head lifted, her eyes following the figure that ran off.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Modesty on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 pm

“You know you sure know how to make dinner intes-”

A smile was beginning to form as she looked up at him, halted as a figure knocked into Ivy and sent her sprawling. A shoulder hit between his shoulderblades, momentarily winding him as he was pushed back. Maxwell stumbled, but caught his balance before he caught his breath.

“Help her.” He choked out, over his shoulder to the valet that was already hesitantly coming to her side. Max gasped for air, satisfied as a breath was taken at last to calm the burning panic that came unbidden as it did every time the air was forced out of him. Each millisecond drew more steadying breaths, matching heart beat in a rapid procession. Each millisecond drew the assailant further from them.

Like something akin to wolf, or some feral beast, Maxwell took off at a sprint after the fleeing figure. His peripherals saw the young kid in the red parking jacket kneel by Ivy’s fallen figure, heard her groan, heard an emergency 9-1-1 call and knew the situation was handled. Green focused on the offender, hand tensing and raising has he ran to mumble a phrase that would extract vengeance on the foe. A moment too late; the figure slipped around the corner of a building and down an alley.

By the time Max rounded the corner he’d filled some of the distance between them. Surprise had worked initially, but Maxwell’s long strides and better shape proved the greater asset. There, shaded from public eye, opened a narrow window for the safe use of a power word.

“Suffoco.” He growled, and watched the man trip as the air was knocked from his lungs. An eye for an eye, but a growing anger prevented him from reveling in the small victory.

As Max came within reaching distance the tables turned. The assailant dropped the stolen property; all save for the fistful of hair. A blade was produced and swung haphazardly at him without much skill or aim. He managed to roll back on his heels, avoiding the attack as his eye caught sight of a small brand on the side of the mans neck. The seared flesh to formation of symbols he recognized instantly- the HDD. Green eyes widened in surprised, but it was all the attacker needed to shove him off balance and make a run for it again.

By the time Max rounded the corner, this time, the guy was gone.

Maxwell walked back to where Ivy had fallen, pausing only to scoop up her belongings that had been dropped. He arrived back in time to see her on her feet.

“Are you okay?” He asked, genuinely wondering though feigning concern.

In actuality, he mind was racing. The HDD weren’t burglers- the attack wasn’t random. Shouldn’t have been. Couldn’t have been. So what did an international, dangerous, voodoo clan want with his slender roommate?

“Must have spooked him, he dropped your things.” He said, between breaths that he exaggerated. The jog hadn’t winded him at all.

What was she hiding?

Modesty
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 pm

Ivy had gotten up and while there was someone fussing over her, making phone calls she was angry. Brushing herself off a little she watched Maxwell disappear after the man. Fuck, fuck, fuck.... There was no way someone should have been able to mug her if she had been on her game. But she hadn’t been, she was distracted by Maxwell and their evening plans.

A hand came up to rub her head. Ivy frowned. It felt like her hair had been yanked on. Her mind replayed the attack in slow motion. He had run into her, grabbed her hair on the way down and pulled before going for her earring and necklace. My hair?

A knot formed in her stomach. HDD. Fuck. Not good... Ivy sighed and rubbed her head. Her chest hurt too and her hands were scraped up. She was going to have to explain this to the higher ups. She was not looking forward to that conversation. She wasn't entirely sure how she was going to explain the situation and she was afraid of what they might do.

Ivy looked to the valet “I’m fine, really. Just dirty from hitting the ground. There is no need-”

She looked up to see Maxwell, “My what?" She was confused for a moment. "Oh, oh my stuff.” She touched her neck and ear. There was blood on her hand from where the assailant had ripped the earring from her ear. Great. “Well that is lucky. Thank you Maxwell.”

Ivy felt guilty. He had chased down the guy, brought her stuff back and she couldn’t explain that it wasn’t a real mugging. He knows something though. Alexis talked about magic and HDD. Her eyes looked Max over critically.

Ivy moved closer to him. “Thank you, really. You shouldn’t have chased him." She looked at the valet and then back to Maxwell. "Can we go home?” She felt wary and simultaneously awful that she was not telling him but she knew he had his own secrets and they had a policy, 'don’t pry and everyone is happy.'
------
Hector was happy he made it away. He hadn’t been expecting the man. He hadn’t been expecting him to chase him and he certainly hadn’t been expecting the magic. Hector’s chest heaved with his breathing as he fought down panic.

He had done well enough. He fought the man off but kept the hair. The hair was more important the jewelry, that was just for the ruse.

The large, dark man climbed into his car and wasted no time driving away. He wanted to get back before something else screwed up his night.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!