Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Into The Stars We Travel

Into The Stars We Travel

a part of “Into The Stars We Travel”, a fictional universe by chris_alloy1.

A sci-fi game basing some roots in 1980s styled sci-fi and mixed with modern aspects of science fiction.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Into The Stars We Travel”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Into The Stars We Travel

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chris_alloy1 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:57 am

This is the auto-generated OOC topic for the roleplay "Into The Stars We Travel"

You may edit this first post as you see fit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

chris_alloy1
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Author Inspiration Lifegiver

Re: Into The Stars We Travel

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gamer_Templar on Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:49 pm

As much as space opera science fiction is my jam, I'd much prefer seeing a clear outline of the plot before jumping in. Reading the intro left me with more questions than answers. Where do our characters fit into this? Will they do so in a manner that doesn't result in everyone faffing around in their own separate parts of the galaxy? Are alien species welcome, or are we just having humans/aliens-that-are-really-humans?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Gamer_Templar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HouseRoman on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:59 am

I'm also interested in this. Can you give an outline of which line of technological achievement and government structure it's going to follow?
Boop.

HouseRoman
Member for 8 years
Author Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chris_alloy1 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:16 pm

In regards to Game_Templar posts. Your characters will be a part of the discoveries as they are pioneered. However, with war appearing out of nowhere, contractors and other naval personnel will be pulled to help fight the new threat. No fapping off, since it would become a military command structure. More on your post here in a bit.

In regards to HouseRoman posts. The United Nations have direct command of the most government proceedings concerning Earth and her colonies. However, it does not directly control the EDF (Earth Defense Force) and the ESN (Earth Space Navy). All three have their own councils and are regulated by a set of codes that require a majority vote from three to do anything extreme or large. They act like a triumvirate in this regard.

The game universe does not have an ansible, like some other sci-fis that have near-instantaneous communications. I am taking a leaf from Mass Effect in which laser comm-buoys are used. It is a large network of automated satellites that take input and sends it along to the correct destination. The laser communications works by pulsing a type of Morse Code faster than is humanly possible. However, there are always ways to improve this network and is entirely up to the character if they want to try and find a new way or improve the current.

Warp Drive is the way FTL occurs. The method used: two super magnets are suspended above and below a piece of etherulium (this is a fictional element for purposes of this game. It is quite common on asteroids). When activated, the magnets begin to spin around the metal, creating a very powerful magnetic field that is amplified by the positive and negative energy field that the metal begins to emit. The metal in question is the catalyst in this, as the magnets only serve to generate the field necessary to make the positive and negative fields. Due to how the magnets are rotating, the poles of positive energy and negative are always changing. This oscillating energy field reduces the plane of space-time in front of the vessel while raising it behind it. The faster you travel, the greater the depression/ascension is. I suppose it is possible to generate a large enough field that other smaller ships can "ride the wave" so to speak, but that is up to the characters.

Now in the regards to the "aliens" question. Currently, there are only two sentient species that will begin this game. They are the Humans of Sol and the Augums (AH-gums). The latter was once the humans of the ship Nostrodamus. They still retain their human shape and look almost entirely human. Except for a few things. To survive long-time exposure on a ship that had not the greatest protection, they had to develop technology in ways that would make most scientists have a fit. One of the technologies was nanites. Once these nanites were created, they were implanted. The Augums, in a way, became the perfect life-form. They were resistant to radiation of all sorts, including solar radiation. They could survive a few minutes longer in a vaccuum than a normal human. And they possess a faster healing rate, able to heal most wounds within days instead of weeks although very serious injuries may still take a long time to heal.

They do, however, still need to eat and drink water but they can go longer than most humans without it. By now, why Augum? It is what they decided to call themselves after finding a new world, since they no longer considered themselves entirely humans.

As of this time, no other species can be allowed to be played. That is not the same as finding alien species on other worlds but they are not allowed to be sentient. That being said, there is a race that will come into the story later on that is not Human or Augum. But that depends if we can reach the milestone. And most importantly, once we have reached a certain threshold in the story, I will open the Augum race to be played. However, and I suspect I will have to make another stop at the rules page, this race is considered restricted. My definition of this: a restricted race is limited to only a few players and MUST BE CONFIRMED FOR APPROVAL by the GM.

The reasons for restrictions on playable races until certain story requirements are met is to limit the ridiculousness that appears in games. By having only one and unlocking the rest, I am hoping to not only keep the players from just running rampant but also giving incentive to continue playing. I also tend to view games as a TV series with episodes. As such, I try to mirror reveals and important plot arcs over time through several "episodes". Just how I have DMed IRL.

Also, the intro was meant to ask more questions than answer.

Has this helped?

chris_alloy1
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HouseRoman on Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:50 pm

Well, I'm down. I don't know how this'd go with only one member, though.

HouseRoman
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chris_alloy1 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:16 pm

Very well! That is one, you in Templar?

I will be posting a few characters to start. I currently will run the first Augum only to start First Contact and to give you guys a beginning antagonist.

chris_alloy1
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gamer_Templar on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:18 am

Still thinking about it, to be honest. I assume we're playing as humans, and we start off on Earth, or in the Solar system or something? Wasn't able to glean a straight answer on that front.

The number of players is a small concern in itself; if I end up joining along with a friend of mine, the grand total would be just four players including the GM.

Gamer_Templar
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chris_alloy1 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:38 pm

You are correct, Templar. There are some colonies just started up so the places can be worked out if you wish to input a planet or moon. So Earth or her colonies are the birthplace of your character.

chris_alloy1
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby yoshimirobotbattle on Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 pm

Is there still room for more players? I'm very interested in this RP and I'd like to start drafting up a character if that's okay?

yoshimirobotbattle
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HouseRoman on Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:05 am

So, if yoshimirobotbattle joins, it'll be four of us - five with the GM. I'm still down to join and have been monitoring this thread. What do you all think?

HouseRoman
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby yoshimirobotbattle on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:39 am

I'm just wondering where these colonies are based? If you're open to suggestions this video has cool potential locations.
https://vimeo.com/108650530

yoshimirobotbattle
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chris_alloy1 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Yoshi, I saw the video and was sold at 3:05. This is excellent inspiration for this game. And yes, always room for more!

In response to your question, moons and planets abound. Most likely the star systems and planets we see in Star Trek will play a role, as well as Babylon 5. Wolf 359, Sigma Octanus IV, Epsilon Eridani, all may very well be colony by this point. You may use the examples given here or you may create a backwater colony from which you hail from. Though, in all likelihood, there is a large possibility of characters still being of Earth.

As of this posting, I will begin the first post of this game. Templar, seeing as you have been here for some time in this community, I would like your help with dredging up some sort of order if things get out of hand.

I await all of your characters!

chris_alloy1
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chris_alloy1 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Apologies to players, I have had some unfortunate luck with computer memory problems. Therefore, go ahead with your first posts. I look forward to reading your posts!

chris_alloy1
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chris_alloy1 on Mon May 02, 2016 4:56 pm

The first post is in!

chris_alloy1
Member for 8 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!