Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Creating a character profile...?

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

How do you customize character sheet?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DaimonTheFallen on Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 pm

So I'm new to this site and have started my own RP and character. However, what I've discovered is that a lot of other character profiles have better design, new stylish fonts, different colours, and so on. I'm a code-n00b, so I have no idea how to program the BBCode to customize my character profile. Is there another thread somewhere that gives suggestions?

Many thanks!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DaimonTheFallen
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Creating a character profile...?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby eloquentmisprints on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 pm

So, I attempted a character profile... and failed miserably. Most of the character profiles I've looked include pictures, lots of them, in all sorts of places and I, being the newbie that I am, have no clue how to do that. Sure, I can add a picture at the top or bottom of the profile, but other that. It is likely that it is something really simply that I am missing, but I find it pretty frustrating. Anyone willing to help a girl out?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

eloquentmisprints
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Creating a character profile...?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 am

Hi there, eloquentmisprints! Welcome to RolePlayGateway.

Could you maybe link to some profiles that you were looking at that wowed you? That would make this a little easier. Our forums use BBCode, which allows for a variety of orientations, fonts, colors, and sizes. All of those tools can be used to spruce up a typical character profile.

Something to keep in mind is don't let what you see others using for profiles affect what you think a good character profile is. In my opinion, a profile that has more words than pictures is going to give me a better idea of who the character is. If you are creating a character, and you think you can convey the concept of them better in simple words without all the fancy bells and whistles, then go ahead and do that!

But there's no harm in learning how to pimp out a profile!

Here's my profile for Liesha Kennicot. To get the text to "wrap" around the picture, I put the picture in [left] tags. So, when you have your image URL, what you'll do is put
Code: Select all
[left][img]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/218/2/2/Commission_1_by_tsong_ming_yi.jpg[/img][/left]
and then, of course, replace my image with yours. And just make sure you have enough text there to fill it out.

You can do that with [right] as well, to basically mirror the effect. That's how some users manipulate where the image is in their post.

Hope that gets you off on a start! And remember, definitely post some profiles you see that you like, and we can crack 'em open and take a look at what's inside.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Re: How do you customize character sheet?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lialore on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:24 am

Hi Daimon ^^
Using BBCode you can make your character sheet look all pretty. It takes a bit of practice.
This is the how-to guide on BBCode.

:)
Comrade:
I didn't know Dashmiel was a he.
Dashmiel:
That's what she said.

Lialore
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Imaveronica on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Does anyone know how to do a slash through of words on here? I'm having some trouble...

Imaveronica
Member for 9 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lily Evans on Wed May 04, 2016 10:27 am

Here's a few codes that might help, but the easiest thing would be to highlight your word, and click the b, i, u, and stuff above your typing area for your post, but, codes can be used quite easily:

To do a strike through your words, do [ s ] words here [ /s ] (without the spaces) and the ones below, you just need to make the brackets tight for example: [/b]

Here's a list of helpful things I've come across:
Bold: [b ] words [ /b]
Underlined: [u ] words [ /u]
Italic: [ i]words[ /i] (Sideways words, used for thoughts)
Strike: [s ]words[/s ]
Image Codes: [img ]link[/img]

For images, you can use http://tinypic.com to alter the size and then use the one that says 'img' for for message boards.

Colors:
http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp

This is a really useful website that gives you all of the color combinations you could ever want! For example, to color a text, you simply need to do [color=code] and, [ /color] (delete the space before using any of these)

I'll do another post to put these into play to show you ways of fixing up and polishing your profile for your character.
Lily Dawn Evans:
My Character Profiles: WIP
http://www.roleplaygateway.com/work-pro ... 23818.html

Lily Evans
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lily Evans on Wed May 04, 2016 11:46 am

Here's a sample of what I've done for at least one of my characters - it provides a lot of details that puts you in their shoes and makes you really think about your character. And maybe, at the bottom, add a link for photobucket for a picture album of them and their family or something similar? Or maybe just a Photo Album with links underneath it? That way you have a place to show off your pictures! And you can add pictures for each individual bracket - like Basic Information and Looks. You can dress all this up with fancy fonts or even drawing/using sites like glitter font generators - or just font generators!

Also, just consider this a skeleton! Add more if you want, change colors and styles, it's really all up to you!

NAME

Basic Information:
First Name:

Middle Name:

Last Name:

Place of Birth:

Height:

Weight:

IQ:

Zodiac Year and Month:

Preference:

Blood Type:

Looks:
(Picture)

Eyes:

Hair:

General Apperance:

Dressing Style:

Personality:

Extra Information:

Dislikes:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Favorite Fragrances:

Worst Fear:

Family Details
Parents:

Siblings:

Personal History:

Roleplay Samples:
RP Sample:

Lily Evans
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!