Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Abuse in Global chat

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Abuse in Global chat

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheOneWhoSeesAllThings on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:49 pm

I just got done having a conversation with a moderator regarding a recent incident which they failed to resolve in any sense of fairness, and they told me to join them in Discussion and Debate. Well, here you go.

Over the past few months multiple individuals have been taking offense at me and my particular nature, and today no less than four of those individuals verbally assaulted me in the chat, breaking several rules in the process. They all had some sort of gripe with me, but rather than talking with me in private to discuss and maybe alleviate the problem they instead insisted on throwing the dirty laundry into the public chat so everyone could throw in their 2 cents.

Not only were these individuals NOT punished for their use of foul language and for starting a conflict without reason, but instead the victim, that is to say I, was muted from chat.

When I went to a moderator during the incident seeking some form of assistance I was told to "handle it yourself". In addition to this I was told by that same moderator that because I was outnumbered that I was in the wrong. I was the one being insulted, instigated, and abused and yet because it was four people doing it to me, I was the the one in the wrong?

Under that logic, a person who gets jumped by four muggers must obviously be in the wrong as well?

This isn't the first time this has occured either. Multiple times now someone has come into the global chat and started complaining either about me or my writing, instead of coming to me in a PM LIKE THEY'RE BLOODY SUPPOSED TO, and it has almost always resulted in a conflict.

I understand that I am not perfect, I understand that I am not an altogether like able person. That's okay, you do not have to like me. You do not even have to talk to me if you don't like me. We can still roleplay together like reasonable adults without ever actually having to speak. But when you start arguing and creating conflict, don't be surprised if I don't bend over and let you do whatever you want with me. I don't care for people who insist on getting their way in every situation no matter how ridiculous. I also don't care for people creating a problem when none exists, and that's what most of the issues raised recently have been: nonexistent problems where everyone wants to call foul cuz they're entitlements threatened.

I could go ahead and list off all the issues and why it's senile to think that they can't be resolved with civil discussion, but I won't. I don't see the point, considering that as of yet nobody seems to be capable of civil discussion between responsible and intelligent adults. EDIT:I have to give credit where it's due. I am in fact wrong, there are multiple people who have been doing their absolute best to be reasonable and to help resolve issues. They're not always doing it but the fact that they make the attempt deserves to be noted. These individuals are: Rulke, Saarai, ColeMaibara, Glmstr, Patcharoo, and ChaoticMarin. Every one of these individuals has at some point tried to assist in alleviating or resolving an issue that was brought forth to their attention, even if it wasn't brought forth to mine. They spoke reasonably, civily, and respectfully, not all the time but at least they tried. And for that I sincerely and whole heartedly thank you, you deserve far better than what you have been getting from me and I apologise for the shortness of my temper.

Ya know, I was warned before hand that "the chat systems not safe. Your liable to get targeted if one or two specific people don't like you, cuz they'll start getting as many people as possible to bash you till you get in trouble and get banned". I was holding out with the benafit of the doubt, hoping that that was just an exageration and that it was only one or two people who were causing problems. Sure didn't do much to help with that reputation today did you guys.

Now, Theres gonna be people who disagree, theres going to be people who agree. And theres going to be people who think this is innaproriate for Forums. Well I wholeheartedly disagree to that, because this is a forum for Discussion and Debate, and I want to debate this.

I want to have a discussion about why YOU think this has been happening, and what can be done to make it better. If you think I'm in the wrong by all means share, tell me exactly what I did wrong, why, and how I can do better. I make no garuntee's that I'll follow your instruction, but I DO want to hear what you have to say on this.
Last edited by Talisman on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editted to avoid calling out specific individuals.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheOneWhoSeesAllThings
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: Abuse in Global chat

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheOneWhoSeesAllThings on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:22 pm

There, I vented and got what I wanted to say off my chest. Whatever else happens, I want my thoughts on the matter to be absolutely crystal clear.

I feel insulted, threatened, and abused, and it comes from multiple different people choosing not to ask me to make edits, to discuss issues, to fix problems in my writing. Instead going to others for solutions to the problem they refer to as me.

I am genuinely upset that so many of you felt wronged by me that you decided your best course of action was to gather together to insult and verbally attack me.

And I'm outright scared that, rather than getting punished or at least even talked to about what you were doing to me, instead because I was outnumbered by those involved the moderator present decided the path of least resistance would be the best option. So I was ganged up on not only by three seperate members but also a site moderator, who only did so because it was easier for them to do. The ONLY person who bothered to help was patch.

It is terrifying to know that all it takes for you to force someone off the site is three or more friends to all get together and single out the person you don't like. That scares me that your allowed to get away with that.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TheOneWhoSeesAllThings
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:43 pm

I was the moderator in question, who told TOWSAT to take his concerns here. So long as this doesn't degenerate into a flame war, I see no reason not to allow it. This is a debate forum. You're all equal here. Only your arguments matter. Who you are is irrelevant. For future reference, don't use real aliases.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:55 pm

That is just sad, but it honestly doesn't surprise me in the least. I am one of those people who hopes for the best, but expects the worse when it came anything really, especially when people are concerned. I often avoid conflicts that don't concern me due to the fact that I am highly sensitive in nature and have gotten sick and fainted when exposed to too much negative emotions, even though I've learned how to 'shield' myself from that kind of stuff. It's actually why left most of my skype groups.

Anyway, I think these kinds of things happen because people are easily offended these days and because they have the 'safety' of a computer screen in front of them, they get more vocal. I doubt most of these people would act like that face to face. I have actually stood up to people IRL when I was targeted by others and believe me, it is scary. The internet makes it much more convenient to get your thoughts out too. People don't seem to realize what they can be doing is wrong.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aniihya on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:25 pm

This sounds like stuff people whine about on WP. If you are bugged by certain individuals, you can always block or avoid them. It is not like they are deliberately following you around or spamming adult content on your RPs. Plus there must have been something that ticked them off, so I doubt you are completely innocent.
Everybody! Unless you have been in a roleplay with me in the past and were loyal to it, do not PM or text me about joining your RP.

I do NOT do Pokemon, Yugioh, WoW or any such RPs.

Please be aware of this.

Aniihya
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Tipworthy Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!