Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Buddhism and Sanity

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Buddhism and Sanity

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:25 pm

A religion is humankind's attempt to make sense of a world that appears to only have an empirical basis in reality. We attempt to, in religion, capture common experience in such a way that all humans share the same understanding. Some believe in a metaphysical world beyond the senses; others do not. Fundamentally, the task of both is to find the shores of sanity bordering on an otherwise chaotic sea.

Sanity exists on a continuum. On one end is pure insanity, represented by a deluded schizophrenic; to describe the other end, I will borrow from Buddhism the term "Buddha-consciousness". A fully-enlightened Buddha is synonymous with utter sanity.

There is a path to enlightenment in Buddhism. First, one recognizes the Four Truths of the Noble Ones. And second, one recognizes the Noble Eightfold Path -- otherwise known as the Path.

The Four Noble truths are: one, that suffering exists in the world; two, that suffering is caused by attachments to temporary things; three, that doing away with these things does away with suffering; and fourth, that the Path is the way to do away with such delusions.

Buddhism complements itself in its entirety. Learning of the Four Truths and even one element of the Path naturally leads to the complete understanding the Eight Truths. The First Element of the Path is a reiteration of the reasons for the Path: that a Right View of the situation (as described in the Four Truths) leads to enlightenment. Others are less clearly orchestrated: Right Mindfulness (Element Seven) insists that it is essential to be in one's Right Mind to accept truth.

Most, if not all, elements even conform to other religions. Buddhism is nothing short of adaptable, and without contradiction someone can easily adapt the Four Truths and the Path to other religions.

The doctrine of Right Concentration pressures one to meditate, and translates cleanly to prayer. Someone who has trouble meditating can pray; those who have trouble praying can meditate. The outward benefits are the same.

Others, such as Right Livelihood and Right Effort, insist that we live according to our values, and not to contradict ourselves with Poorly-considered Speech. Similarly, we should always obey the principle of Right Action. I leave Right Intention for last, for above all, we should strive to do things for the right reasons. We should strive not to bring more hatred and delusions into the world by doing things in wickedness.

Buddha-hood is a difficult path to follow; it might be considered heavy to demand of sanity perfect Buddha-hood. However, it is a truism that everyone has their share of insanity within them. Judging the degree of someone's sanity is a tough challenge: what if they person who behaved differently than the norm is expressing a higher degree of sanity than those charged with his care? The man who we know as the Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, lived homelessly, accepting charity from whoever offered. He saw more merit in his life of poverty than that of his former life, a prince.

Is it true that the Path to enlightenment is equal to the path to utter sanity? Is it truly possible for a follower of Buddhist philosophy to be a member of other religions simultaneously?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Buddhism and Sanity

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Ragdoll on Sat May 21, 2016 9:35 am

That's a lot to read-- which I'm going to be honest, I didn't read entirely. I don't know Buddhism that well, either. But I did know someone who was was a vegetarian, buddhist, superstitious, claimed to have an illness even though no doctors could find anything, (and she might've been studying to become a monk, I have no clue), she did have high blood pressure and couldn't control her temper.

I don't think Religion is for everyone. I think, the same way School isn't for everyone. But I know there are people who are going to disagree.

I think the path to sanity would be balance. Good examples for emotional intelligence and thinking. As for materialistic things, I--- like, I'm just thinking about how religion isn't going to help someone suffering from poverty. Telling someone who's already lacking in materials, that materials aren't needed for sanity. That for them to cling onto the few possessions they need to survive (like a card board box to sleep on, or tupperware to store food they can eat for later/without it getting too much bacteria on it). Preaching all these things isn't going to give someone the life experience they need. Knowledge isn't scarce. Everyone can think for themselves if they're given the proper things they need to survive.. emotionally, intellectually, physically, spiritually.
to the times I'm seething with hatred, to the times I'm blind with love, fucking
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx f c k i n g ,
x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxf c k i n g ,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxshhh*t sta*n *:・゚
"(insert wise quote here
continuation of wise quote)
"
(person who said wise quote)

x
x

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

The Ragdoll
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Promethean World Builder Group Theory Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sat May 21, 2016 11:50 am

At the end of the day Buddhism is a philosophy that emphasizes moderation, compassion, and following a basic tenet on which all religions are founded. The golden rule: treat others as you yourself would like to be treated.

It's a very humanistic way of looking at things that eventually has been convoluted as doctrines evolved.

@Ragdoll

To call yourself a Buddhist and to be a Buddhist are two completely different things that are neither mutually exclusive nor in-exclusive. I think your friend wanted to be a Buddhist because everything that you've said about her told me that she could have used a little bit of temperance.

I would also agree that religion is not for everyone, but I differ in my belief. I think that religious doctrine is not for everyone. Religion has had its purpose since the beginning of time as a form of authority, whether it be moral or legal, to maintain order and provide a sort of building block for morality.

I also think that there's a difference between being religious and being spiritual.

@dwit

It's funny because Buddhism has gone above "for" and "against." It is a philosophy that emphasizes an understanding of the forces of yin and yang that shape our world. It understands that all things are subject to impermanence.

It emphasizes a struggle against suffering instead of the Christian struggle against sin. The seven virtues lie in the middle of a spectrum that has vices at its excess and defect as Aristotle might say.

It also allows one to sit down and not think about anything because if you think too long you'll become...insane.

In the words of Dr. Rawlins, "Try not to think so much! Try not to THINK so much!"
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dealing with it on Mon May 23, 2016 7:05 pm

The Ragdoll wrote:I think the path to sanity would be balance.
Whom might you label sane? And why? Who is insane? And why? I picked the Buddha for a reason, primarily because insanity is treated very differently in Indian culture.

VindicatedPurpose wrote:It emphasizes a struggle against suffering instead of the Christian struggle against sin.
The struggle against suffering is just another struggle that causes its own share of struggling. Above all, I think Buddhism's highest virtue is Clarity of Thought. This leads to truth and compassion.

dealing with it
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Contributor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Greeter Beta Tester Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby christeena on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:02 am

I admire Buddhism. My whole family adopted Buddhist names. We selected names from a website . It has nice Buddhist names .http://www.babynology.com/buddhist_babynames.html

christeena
Member for 8 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!