Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat โ€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Sorry, that's the wrong password

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Sorry, that's the wrong password

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Byte on Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:02 am

Before you all start swamping me like disgruntled bears on a honeycomb, allow me to expand. Then again, I'm pretty sure we've all seen it around somewhere. You know that unnecessary password โ€œthingโ€ that for some reason a GM thinks automatically compels their audience to abide every law they've decreed in their precious roleplay? That song and dance routine, clubhouse jingle you need to write, do or repeat even though all you want is to just make a character because you thought the story sounded intriguing?

Lately these passwords have become bloated and just all 'round obnoxious. One roleplay I read through required three, THREE passwords to be typed out in the OOC alongside your reservation/expression to join. And I had to ask myself: Why? Why are we all so paranoid that we demand people to perform a specific set of mundane actions to show that they've read the bloody rules? I'm actually kind of curious how this has become so prominent in almost every roleplay, and I'd like to know how this in any way benefits you and your fellow roleplayers.
"You're not done when there's nothing more to add. You're done until there's nothing more to take away."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Byte
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Salesman Visual Appeal

Re: Sorry, that's the wrong password

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:25 am

By and large, I agree with you that this sort of thing is useless. I can see the desire to make sure that potential players are actually paying attention to things like rules and specifications, but I donโ€™t think requiring something like a password is all that helpful. That saidโ€ฆ nothing else is, either. In most cases, the character sheet will tip you off pretty effectively to whether or not someone has bothered to read everything they should have read, but a character sheet is a lot of work. Perhaps the point of having a password is, more than anything, to gently nudge people into reading all the โ€œboringโ€ stuff before they waste all their time making a character that for some reason or other, wonโ€™t fit? If so, itโ€™s rather kinder than I would be.

RPs with passwords are also ones that take reservations, in most of the cases Iโ€™ve seen. Perhaps itโ€™s supposed to be some kind of minimum bar test for people trying to reserve? Like, if someone doesnโ€™t even put in the effort required to read everything, why bother giving them that reservation when someone else would clearly make better use of it? Of course, this presupposes a system where reservations are the logical thing to do, and I donโ€™t think there are very many, if any, such systems.

That was two paragraphs that essentially amounted to a shrug. I agree that it seems silly, and perhaps a smidge immature, but I canโ€™t say it bothers me, really.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dawn โœฉ Quixotic on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:53 am

I saw one that had the password, in several parts, hidden somewhere in the write-up, with only a minor hint that you had to piece it together. Not exactly sure what the creator was hoping for.

Dawn โœฉ Quixotic
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sibylline Oracle on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:05 am

I'm curious, how do other GMs handle the issue of players not reading?

Sibylline Oracle
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ersatz Creed on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:57 am

Randomosity wrote:I'm curious, how do other GMs handle the issue of players not reading?

Perhaps by not accepting the character.

I have tried this myself but it was more for giggles than a serious thing. It was always something silly that they had to include in their character sheets like *insert name of character* likes to wear women's clothing. Rather hilarious for the male characters, or at least i thought so.
Looking at Julius I cleaned my tears and confessed. "I too ignored the soothsayer...and I too was stabbed by some one I loved."

Ersatz Creed
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Group Theory Novelist Property Buyer Person of Interest Bug Hunter Lifegiver Tipworthy Salesman

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:44 pm

A password is a shortcut, sure, but I personally found it more useful to not have the argument of "Your rules suck!" or "I didn't know that!" when you have to invoke them. It's like clicking that read and agree box. Except it probably will take you a minute instead of two hours. Generally, the less you have to argue the better.

That said, a literary Rubik's cube for a password is dumb. That would be a valid reason for me not to join the RP, because that'd be very telling about the GM.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cl.love on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:50 pm

I think the matter of whether passwords are necessary or just plain annoying depends on the GM of the roleplay.

There are a lot of group roleplays on this site that have died simply due to neglect, and a lot of roleplayers put down rules regarding commitment, as no one wants their story to fall dormant. Other common rules I see as necessary would be ones concerning overall effort - like a specific minimal word count - and still, different roleplayers have different standards for this.

A lot of rule sections in roleplays also address what kinds of potentially triggering content might be in a roleplay, which can be very important for writers who are a bit more sensitive to certain topics. Having a password in order to join a roleplay ensures that these requirements and regulations are being considered and helps make sure that no one's going to get angry because "you never explained that!" or whatnot.

I personally don't really use passwords for my own roleplays anymore, because I prefer to just address them directly with other roleplayers, but I can understand when roleplayers do choose to use them. I also believe that if you really want to join a roleplay, putting down passwords shouldn't be a big deal - unless of course they're like a friggin' riddle, then its just a pain.
โ•ญโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•ฎ

Partner Search | Tumblr | ArchiveOfOurOwn
Discord

แ••( แ› )แ•—

My theme song is Iris by Goo Goo Dolls.

โ•ฐโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•ฏ

cl.love
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Streamwatcher Tipworthy Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lyysa on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:22 am

Almost everyone demands commitment and some sort of minimum post amount in the rules, but how often does that change anything? Most of the time the roleplay dies anyway because of different reasons, perhaps people thought the story was boring or are just plain rude and can't bother typing down an answer even though people are waiting for it. And a password doesn't change that either. And in fact you don't know if people have actually read the rules, most of the time you can figure out what the password is by just reading the others reservations. Some of them could just have seen it there and copied the others.
Look alive, Sunshine.

Lyysa
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!