Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

The Falls

The Falls

a part of “The Falls”, a fictional universe by Bartholomew Finch.

When their friend goes missing, six young adults set out across the dangerous wilderness of a world frozen over in order to find him. (Full)

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Falls”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

The Falls

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:48 pm

"The Falls"

World Info

The Communities

- Lake Lofall (The Falls) - The original Community, largest and Farthest To The North

- Victoria - A small community in the North, rumored to be led by Religious zealots.

- Centuria - The Community that safely bridges the North and South, it lays slightly to the East.

- Cathedral City - A mostly defunct Community to the far West, only a handful of people remain living there.

- Anneville - Small Community to the South East that contains several acres of barely functioning greenhouses.

- Los Lobos - Mid-sized community, not much is known about them, as well as Farthest South.

Within The Communities

While the communities were built to sustain normal living long after the end of the world, they are not as great as they claim to be. There are as many faults in the system as there are good things. They've grown large enough in most cases that food shortages have become common. Even with constant trade between the communities as well as the Hunters that leave the safety of its walls daily to bring in more. In a perfect world, the hunters would be a moot point altogether. But here, whether they come back with enough to keep the general populace fed is the difference between starvation and staying alive.

The Hierarchy in these communities highly depends on who is most valued. In The North, that's usually the Hunters and the people who handle communications between the communities. Being the most valued citizens affords them better amenities and supplies. The lower on the food chain you are, the harsher the life you will live. In The Falls, there are many people currently living in starvation and poor conditions due to the recent shortages. However, these people aren't often seen because they are usually the first to 'disappear.'

Law enforcement in the Communities is thin, and underdeveloped. Most of the current laws existing to punish things such as thievery and assault, and not much else. Most 'Officers' patrol in order to ensure that nobody is trying to leave the Community.While most Officials claim that it's safer within the walls, it's often suspicious how nobody is allowed out.

Communication and Transportation between the Communities is rough and often dangerous. There is a lack of technology these days that makes Communication by any other means than word of mouth and letters almost impossible. There are authorized citizens who often travel between the communities by way of dog-sled in order to receive news, correspondence and participate in trading with other Communities. Since there are no motorized vehicles that have not been ruined by the freeze, going on foot is the only other way to get anywhere without a team of dogs.

The Architecture within the Communities is dismal, but developed beyond the former system of pitching tents and hoping the frequent blizzards didn't kill anyone in their sleep. Almost everything these days are made of wood, or parts scavenged from larger cities. Houses are small, and more hut-like than anything. But serve a purpose all the same. Larger buildings are often better built and undergo more frequent repairs than the housing. Such as the school buildings, and other buildings with a social function.

Speaking of Education, gone are the days of common core in place of days dedicated to preparing children for the possibility of another freeze and how to survive it. While classes do cover a thin bit of the general learnings - English/literature, maths, and history. There is no call for higher learning in these subjects, and most kids undergo classes structures around self-defense and survival. Unfortunately, unless you happen to apprentice under a Hunter, there won't be classes on learning to hunt, track, or prepare animals for eating.

Apprenticeship is the stand in for College here. People who want to go into a specific type of work will apply to Apprentice under someone who currently holds that position. This applies to the limited medical field, Hunters, and even people who run shops in the marketplace. There are a dozen jobs always at hand, and as soon as kids finish schooling they generally go into working for the Community. Whether it be through an apprenticeship or into other general work.

The Wilderness

In most cases going outside the Communities without proper supplies would lead to a certain death. While this is particularly true in the North, where the snow is heavy and ice makes injury twice as likely, it is not quite so true to the South. Where temperatures have begun to regulate a bit. Still extremely snowy, but with warmer days and less chance of being buried alive in snow overnight. While most of the world is covered in sheets of ice and snow, large cities and towns still stand. Albeit, as hollowed out shells. Extremely dangerous as the wilds have reclaimed everything within.

The first freeze led to plant life and animals dying out at a rapid pace. Leading to mass starvation and the eventually, evolution of most species to accommodate the new world. Prey animals have adapted better senses, mostly sense of smell and hearing, and thicker coats. Animals that formerly had very little fur have evolved thicker skin as to limit the chances of dying out with the cold.

Predators have also evolved to be capable of catching said prey, as well as to survive the colds. Sharper, larger teeth and claws. As well as thicker fur and skin to regulate internal temperatures. Their senses heightened for tracking, even during snowstorms.

In other cases, such as that of domesticated animals. Very few have survived, dogs, for example, have been bred out with wolves; and while this increases their volatile natures it also provides then with extra strength and better-adapted senses. Most dogs these days are used for hunting and mass transportation. However, the cross breeding has limited both species. It's extremely rare to find a purebred dog these days.
Last edited by Bartholomew Finch on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: The Falls

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crichton on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:11 am

If you are accepting reservations for the last open character, I'd love to try my hand at making a character sheet– keeping the FC as is. Anything in particular you'd want for the character sheet?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Crichton
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Recruiter Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:13 pm

I am accepting reservations, the time frame for completing said character has been lengthened due to the sites breakage yesterday as even I was incapable of finishing mine. For the moment, because I didn't manage to get anything done with world information don't worry about including much of a history in your sheet.

We need basics, Name, age all that good stuff.
Skills/Weaknesses/Strengths etc.
A Personality.
And later once I've got world info up you can include a History if you wish.

Anything beyond that is completely up to you.

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Arrow- on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Drops by just to be annoying.

HI FINCHY~!

Arrow-
Member for 11 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Hiya !

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby emotionless on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Got a WIP up. :]
Namaste: I honor the place in you in which the entire universe dwells. I honor the light, love, truth, beauty & peace within you, because it is also within me. In sharing these things we are united, we are the same, We are one.

emotionless
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Awesome! World Info is up in the OP, mostly concerning the Communities and how they run.

Excuse my numerous annoying typos, I'm tired as hell.

My character will be up and finished as an example soon!

As well as there will be an NPC sheet for the missing friend.

Remember this is a group of friends, so they will know each other right off the bat. Discuss amongst each other relationships and what not. Just because they are a friend group doesn't mean there can't be tension between people, or even a frenemy type relationship (or even downright hatred for someone - theres always that guy.)

Ideas can be discussed here OR through PM's.

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crichton on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:23 am

Question: Given the age of their characters, are they likely to be apprentices or in school?

Crichton
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Recruiter Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ivisbo on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:25 am

Crich! My guy Noah is apprenticed to the town doctor, whom is also his father. So yeah, out of school and hopefully doing something useful :D

Ivisbo
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crichton on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:40 am

Lovely, thank you!

Crichton
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CharlotteV on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:24 pm

Yo whuddup just officially saying I'm here

CharlotteV
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 am

Julius is in, sans a teeny bit of friendship history that still needs discussing.

There's an NPC sheet for the missing friend.

Annnnnd

I'll give you guys time to finish up character sheets over the weekend.

We'll probably start Monday night or Tuesday morning.

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby leisurelyatwar on Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:50 pm

*sits in corner with popcorn*

leisurelyatwar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:50 pm

Lindaaaaaaaa <3

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby leisurelyatwar on Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:45 am

I was like "oh, I want to see whats up in RPG, maybe there are some good writers I can read."
then BOOM LOOK WHO I FIND!!!!

leisurelyatwar
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby emotionless on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:16 pm

I think I am done with [url=https://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/the-falls/characters/genesis-monroe] Genesis {/url]. Finch let me know if there is anything I need to correct or add. I know her History is short but I like to flesh it out as the story goes along If that's okay.

emotionless
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:20 pm

@Linda - You found a finchy ;)

@Em - Cool beans! She looked fine last I checked and that was last night ir maybe this morning I dont remember because I just slept for 200 years! Short histories are fine, Lord knows I didnt want to do a history for Jules at all so I get it.

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crichton on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:11 am

Cecil is finished, do let me know if I need to change anything.

Crichton
Member for 8 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bartholomew Finch on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:02 pm

@Crichton - He's awesome, glad to have you on board.

Bartholomew Finch
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ivisbo on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 am

Noah's done! I wanna start figuring out group dynamic so I'll start PMing. Unless we are getting a group chat going for this?

Ivisbo
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!