Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Advice on how to control multiple NPCs at once

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Advice on how to control multiple NPCs at once

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VincentRayne on Mon May 15, 2017 1:07 am

As the title implies, I would like advice on that. To provide more details, I have an RP in mind that has multiple antagonist as well as ally characters. With that many characters I wouldn't mind not having a main character that is with the other RP'ers characters. But now that I look back on the years of me doing RPs, I've never come across an RP, with more than 2 players, that has had multiple villains. Maybe some other side characters here and there that were part of one of the RP'ers backstory or was with their character. While the ally characters would pop in and out the villains would still be the primary threat. But I just don't have an example to relate to.

So if I could get some help as how to do this then I'd be forever grateful.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VincentRayne
Member for 10 years
Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Promethean Inspiration Person of Interest Lifegiver

Re: Advice on how to control multiple NPCs at once

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sun May 21, 2017 12:40 am

Controlling multiple NPCs at once can be either easy or hard, depending on the setup.

If you're in a Nation RolePlay or other situation that involves a chain of command and multitudes of individual beings, it's easy to control them in a manner that involves giving commands and having them be carried out. This is appropriate for situations ranging from a town being invaded (for both the invaders and defenders) to a gang sending out their enforcers to collect protection money. In this case it's assumed that the faceless mooks are under the command of the player character, or at least are motivated to take their advice, and you can pull these out of thin air to a certain extent.

But in your situation where there are multiple opponents to the player characters, the best advice would probably be to play it out in your head. Maybe they end up working against each other, maybe they race to see who can beat the heroes first, maybe they form a tenuous alliance while plotting to stab each other in the back.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!