Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Have a Question? Ask Kiku!

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Re: Have a Question? Ask Kiku!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sibylline Oracle on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Indeed, which is why I find neither Fantasy nor Realistic fitting categories right now. On the other hand, the only other story I'm aware of which has a similar context (magic making a resurgence over time), A Song of Ice and Fire (which is less about the setting and more about the character drama), is a staple example of Low Fantasy, and is usually shelved together with other Fantasy stories. But as you've said, Fantasy is predominantly recognized as High Fantasy, which is why it can be difficult for many Low Fantasies to get any attention.

Which makes me wonder: what is the exact definition of Fantasy used by this site, if any? Is it subjective?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sibylline Oracle
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:56 pm

There certainly isn't a site-wide definition of any kind. I imagine that deciding to call something "fantasy" is quite a bit more a matter of personal taste than any sort of unified idea of what it actually means. You could always tag something "low fantasy" if you want to be more specific about it.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby harhartuesdays on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:16 pm

I'm new and i wanted to know how to change the color of the text so people know the difference between the action your character in the rp is doing and the quotes they are saying.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

harhartuesdays
Member for 9 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 2.25 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Sure thing!

That's done with a simple coding maneuver.

Code: Select all
[color=red]"To be or not to be--that is the question!"[/color]

Will look like:

"To be or not to be-- that is the question!"

This works for certain basic colors, like red, orange, or purple. For more fine-grained options, you can use hexadecimal codes, like this:

Code: Select all
[color=#157DEC]"Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them."[/color]

This code corresponds to a shade of blue:

"Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing end them."

If you need the hex codes themselves, try here.

I hope that helps, and welcome to RPG!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.25 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby coleworld on Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 pm

I just joined this site and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I've roleplayed before but this feels complicated and I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm also on my mobile right now, I don't think this is a very good mobile site so I bet it will probably look simpler if I get out my computer. I'm hoping you can just 1x1 chat with me and help me learn how to use this site better.

coleworld
Member for 7 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi Cole,

I'd be happy to help out as much as I can. I do recommend using the site on a computer or tablet rather than a mobile device, as at present it isn't really formatted for that. You may also wish to check out this guide. It's a little out of date, but most of the information in it is still good, and it explains most of the site features in a better way than I likely could off-the-cuff. If you have questions not covered there, please feel free to ask them.

Welcome to RPG.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LexiFae on Mon May 29, 2017 10:52 am

I am new to the site and I feel like I am drowning. I don't understand how to do anything here. I was told about this site by my friend and I wanted to be a part of this universe he is creating but I can't figure anything out here. All I want to do this have fun but I feel like I am dying.
Happiness is useless without sorrow, and comfort is useless without discomfort. Now take this in and understand, your story is beautiful, no matter what it says.

LexiFae
Member for 7 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Tue May 30, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Lexi,

Welcome to RPG! Is it navigation you're having trouble with? Like finding where everything is? That's not a particularly-uncommon issue with new arrivals. The guide I recommended just above for Cole's use might also help you out, but if you have some more specific question, I'd be happy to address that as well.

-Kuro

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brandiad on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi, i'm new here and i would appreciate some help. Now, i know it may seem "dumb" questions, i already roleplayed for a few years, but never in this plataform, so i'm confused with some basic mechanics. I read a lot of the help foruns, and read a lot of FAQs, but i'm still not sure of those things... If someone pacient could answer those to me, i'll be very happy:

-After i already create a character, how do i post with him? And how do i move from on location to another?

That's all. Thanks

Brandiad
Member for 7 years
Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby IIRawWriteII on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 am

Hello. I have a question. Should you PM someone in am Roleplay and ask if you can join? Or is it expected to join on RP withoutpermission. (I’m talking about RP in the Multiverse).
Thanks!

IIRawWriteII
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings Author Arc Warden Streamwatcher Storyteller Bug Hunter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 2.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Well, a sure sign that it's been a while since I checked this thread is a backlog of questions, however small a backlog.

So. To answer Brandiad's question first, I note that the character you've created is involved in a Tab RP. Posting there is quite simple: head to the front page of the RP, click the "Story" tab, and add your post to the box at the bottom and hit "submit." There should be a drop-down selection menu for locations, so you can choose where to set it.

Raw, that tends to depend on the context. A lot of people are engaged in long-term story arcs, in which the sudden and unexpected appearance of a random character they hadn't planned for will be a significant imposition. Other people are playing much more casually, with whomever happens to be around. If it's not immediately and obviously clear from context which case you're dealing with, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and ask.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.00 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roleplayer1940 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:53 pm

Listen I'm brand new to the site and I would need help learning to actually roleplaying because I have no idea which part of the website and no I'm not trying to act dumb this is a general question and I'm in need of help if this is an inappropriate question to ask on this form that's fine I just ask that you point me in the Right direction of who to ask and where to ask and where to go thank you sincerely a curious new user

Roleplayer1940
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby Kurokiku on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:22 pm

Heya,

I'm not entirely sure if the issue is knowing how to RP, or knowing where on the site to go to do it, but your wording makes me think the former, so let's see what I can do here. One good place to start would be parts of this thread, which gets a lot of the basics out of the way. For more detail on some things, you could try this guide to character sheets (a place where site mechanics intersect with a crucial part of RP). The Library is an entire subforum dedicated to articles on certain aspects of RP, so if you wanted to explore there and clock on anything that looks interesting, I expect it would help.

Those are really the best places to get a jump start on learning to RP.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fennifer on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:59 am

Hi, I'm new to the site but not to roleplaying. But I mostly do light roleplay, and in fact have never done anything like D and D.
Do you know if there are any roleplays like that and how I could find them?
I'm looking for a highschool roleplay type, and not a kind where you have personality roles to fill or a magical school or anything. That's just what I'm used to and more into...Thanks!

Fennifer
Member for 6 years
Friendly Beginnings Promethean

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi Fennifer,

There's stuff like that around here, for sure. The best places to find it are probably Roleplayers Wanted, Interest Checks, or using the search function and looking for tags like "high school."

Of course, you could also always make one, and then try to recruit other players to it via RPers Wanted.

Welcome to RPG. :)

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!