Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat โ€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Cรกc Kรจo Bรณng ฤรก Bแบกn Nรชn Trรกnh Khi ฤแบทt Cฦฐแปฃc Tแบกi Nhร  Cรกi Hiแป‡n » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Getting Logged Out?

a topic in Help, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars, Coders

Something not working as expected? Looking for a guide to help you find something? Check here for your answer!

Getting Logged Out?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remรฆus on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 pm

SHORT: If you're getting logged out at random times, subscribe to issue #192.

Long: we're still troubleshooting several outstanding issues with long-term support for our very old forum software, but just today discovered new information we feel could potentially lead to the discovery of the cause of perhaps the most annoying bug of all time, getting spontaneously logged out from the site. We're investigating now and will update this thread as we learn more.

In the meantime, you can help us track it down by reporting your experience in this thread.

What happens?
When browsing the site, users who have previously logged in successfully and navigated the site otherwise without issue will spontaneously be logged out of the site, resulting in them having to log back in again (a tedious and undesirable action). Generally this seems to escalate in frequency the more tabs or devices you use to access RPG, but reports vary widely in the frequency and consistency of the problem.

How to Help
Next time you get logged out, reply to this thread with the following information:
Code: Select all
[b]1. What specific action caused your logout?[/b]
Your words here.  Include instructions on what you did, all the way up to getting logged out.

[b]2. What browser and operating system?[/b]
e.g., Chrome / Firefox, Windows / Mac / Linux... versions...

With any luck, your message will help us track down the bug, as it might include a detail we can replicate or otherwise corroborate while we troubleshoot the ancient, soon-to-be-replaced innards of the storytelling machine.

As frustrating as this is has been, let's work together to put an end to this madness once and for all.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remรฆus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: Getting Logged Out?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby EidolonEtchings on Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:57 pm

1. Whenever I try to submit a character I get logged out

2. Chrome

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

EidolonEtchings
Member for 4 years
Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Biglittleorme on Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:09 am

Whenever I try and post on a universe I get logged out a lose my post like 50% of the time.
I use chrome with Windows 10
OOC: What on earth am I doing?

Biglittleorme
Member for 5 years
Visual Appeal Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kura Ravengade on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 am

1. Whenever I try to create a universe I get logged out
I was able to input everything but when I clicked Create Universe, it redirected me to the log back in page. I simply tried doing it immediately again, thinking I maybe took too long to submit it after beginning it, and it still did the same thing. it's also doing it randomly when I'll click on something, such as usernames to redirect me to the user's profile or when going to the RPG main screen.

2. What browser and operating system?
Google Chrome

Kura Ravengade
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:02 am

The most common cause of me getting forcibly logged out is when I tag a character in a long-form post that isn't physically present in the location. This also occurs reliably when I try to add a tag for such a character after the post is up. The only remedy so far is to hit the "Tag All" button, which gets me lots of dirty looks as I tag characters that have been tagged in other locations by players that prefer long-form.

I'm using Google Chrome. (By coincidence, I also got logged out when trying to post this. Not sure if that's related.)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:41 pm

We are still getting logged out. Not only that but the downtimes at night are really hurting the staying power of new roleplayers. I feel like a huge complaint regarding the singular Universes are that these downtimes and the consistent log-outs are making people not want to stick around. Out of 15 roleplays, only 3 of them have even bothered to start much less continue. Out of 30+ characters, I actually write for five.

I am starting to feel like, while players are excited for this kind of platform to write on, the log-outs and time-outs are making them go away. It's really becoming frustrating. The night is a prime time for many of us to write and to do our creative thing, but we can't even do that because of downtimes and logouts.
Mโ€ขOโ€ขMโ€ขBโ€ขIโ€ขE
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ โ™ฅ
ImageImage

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kura Ravengade on Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:41 pm

@Mombie and @Remaeus

It doesnโ€™t help that weโ€™re following proper measures to report this yet not receiving a response or any update when doing so. I posted in this a while ago and didnโ€™t receive a response and the issue is still ongoing as well, with no update on the status. It happens almost every time I try to post, so I have to type everything in google docs in fear of losing my progress. Iโ€™ve found out if you log in and then go back twice youโ€™ll still have your progress in there, but thereโ€™s still that fear of losing all of that time of writing, especially since my posts tend to be quite long. We also just shouldnโ€™t have to go through that whole process either. We would appreciate a response to let us know, as users, what progress is being made to fix this and when it should be fixed. Itโ€™s been four months and itโ€™s starting to seem like itโ€™s just never going to be fixed which really, really sucks. Iโ€™m not trying to be rude or disrespectful but simply convey the frustrations of myself and other participators on this site, especially since I love this website, and since Iโ€™m not the only one whoโ€™s been experiencing the issue and getting frustrated or annoyed by it :(

Kura Ravengade
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Giver

I get logged out most often when I'm trying to edit a character or submit edits. It's pretty frustrating when you lose your progress and like Kura Ravengade, I've had to start typing on a third party word doc to avoid losing everything. What's equally annoying is that after a certain amount of characters I can't preview what my profile looks like so I have to keep submitting to make sure my codes are all in place! (edit: I've tried using the writing tool, but the preview doesn't match up with what actually appears upon submission.)

The only workaround I've seen is opening another tab of RPG and logging back in before backspacing and submitting edits but even that has risk of losing your progress. Clearing my cache hasn't worked and I don't understand why the "log me in every time I visit" box exists if I have to sign in regardless.

เผผ ใค โ—•_โ—• เผฝใค
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy World Builder Builder Inspiration Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:48 pm

Tagging is also still contributing to logouts. It is really hit or miss, and I don't know if that has to do with post length or anything. On one hand, when I posted a Test Post in my Storage Universe while tagging, I was not logged out. However, when posting in an RP and trying to Tag, I was promptly logged out.

I am also getting logged out whilst attempting to delete posts in my own Universes. This was fixed for a while, but it is back. I can't delete my own posts in my own Universes anymore because it is logging me out everytime.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 pm

Logouts are happening again. While they are not as frequent, users are messaging me here and on Discord and reporting that they are being logged out before posting IC, while trying to tag characters, and sometimes it's just random. I have experienced random logouts and also logouts while attempting to post/character tag myself. I get these on the computer and on my phone.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remรฆus on Thu May 07, 2020 8:01 pm

Again? Were they reduced previously, or otherwise eliminated? I'm shooting in the dark here without regular feedback.

Remรฆus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Thu May 07, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm still logged out pretty frequently on my phone. I have a cheap android, so I am not sure if that can be why. Another user reported that they are having frequent logouts on their iPad. I, myself, have experienced about five or so logouts in the last few days. Once while trying to put up an IC post, a couple of times just randomly, and once while testing out the tagging feature. Oh, and another time I tried to delete a post from my own scrap universe and then I was booted out and couldn't delete it.

I haven't heard much else save from a small handful of users experiencing the disruptions. Of course, the activity of the site overall has been slow for a multitude of reasons - a lot of it being stress, extra work, more school load, kids, etc., during Covid-19 quarantine. There may be others with the same problems.

mombie
Member for 12 years

I get logged out if I spend too long editing a post as well as whenever the website crashes. This makes no sense given that I checked the box for logging in every time that I visit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

เผผ ใค โ—•_โ—• เผฝใค
Member for 10 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy World Builder Builder Inspiration Giver

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby phosphene on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:10 am

I'm still getting logged out occasionally, too. Notably: when posting, tagging characters, and when editing/creating characters.

I also get logged out from my phone fairly frequently, for no discernible reason.
Things are only impossible until they're not.
tumblr | Pinterest

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

phosphene
Member for 5 years
Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Author Tipworthy Conversationalist Promethean Inspiration Greeter Novelist Concierge Giver World Builder

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:13 am

1. What specific action caused your logout?
Writing posts and tagging characters seems to be the big issue for me.

Definitely worse on Chrome on Windows 10.
those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

nominate a universe for universe of the month!
new to RPG or looking to help people who are? check out asphodel!

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cl.love on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:28 pm

1. What specific action caused your logout?
My cat walked on my keyboard and it sent me back to the previous page, which is usually fine, because RPG keeps the writing when I click the "forward page" button. This time though, it logged me out, and I lost my entire post.

Modzilla Firefox on Windows 10
โ•ญโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•ฎ

Partner Search | Tumblr | ArchiveOfOurOwn
Discord

แ••( แ› )แ•—

My theme song is Iris by Goo Goo Dolls.

โ•ฐโ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ•ฏ

cl.love
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Streamwatcher Tipworthy Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remรฆus on Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping us troubleshoot this most annoying bug! We've confirmed that the issue is officially fixed and should no longer be occurring.

Remรฆus
Architect
Member for 19 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!