Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

Pay attention to Roleplay tags.

a topic in Help, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars, Coders

Something not working as expected? Looking for a guide to help you find something? Check here for your answer!

Pay attention to Roleplay tags.

Tips: 1.75 INK Postby Nemeseia on Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:20 pm

I don't know where to put this, exactly, but new members and/or previous members--whoever you are and however long you've been roleplaying--please pay attention to a roleplay's tags! They are there for a reason. This is why I wish this site had a delete character option because I have had three people submit a character to a private roleplay that is CLEARLY labeled PRIVATE in the last twenty four hours.

It is extremely frustrating because that character cannot be removed permanently from the roleplay and it will incorrectly say a roleplay has x amount of characters when it has y amount. I have had this issue before, and I've been on this site for nearly ten years, despite what my user profile might actually say. There should be at least three options as far as accepting, declining, and deleting characters, go.

I understand that some GM's would like to give other roleplayers an option to fix something in their character sheet if the need arises, but that's why there should be the reject option. For roleplayers who are not accepted in a roleplay, a GM should have the option to delete them permanently--while also giving an explanation why--from their roleplay so that other players do not have to scroll through characters to tag the proper ones.

As for completely new roleplayers to the site, please make sure you are thoroughly reading through the tags of a roleplay and also a roleplay's summary. Chances are you will see a Private or a 1x1 in the tags or summary to let you know that that roleplay is closed off from character submissions. Do not just submit a character to a roleplay without THOROUGHLY reading it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.75 INK in return for their work.

Nemeseia
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Re: Pay attention to Roleplay tags.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:06 pm

I know I am guilty of simply scanning roleplay tags, and that I should make a better effort to read them. Most people place [Private] in the Universe Synopsis, so I usually don't have to look at tags. However, seeing that your Universes are clearly labeled [Private] as the first thing you see, I can see why this is a great source of frustration to you.

I agree that there should be some option to delete a character, or at least to remove them from the Universe in some way. We don't want to delete people's CS because work is put into it. Us older members of RPG are fairly used to the idea of Reserving a character, thus they are less likely to jump in and just start submitting CS without seeking some kind of approval. Newer members may not know that there is a certain etiquette we have in Singular Universes that, perhaps, the Multiverse does not have. Singular Universes differ from Multiverses in so many ways, it's not fair to creators to be forced to accept the same layer of etiquette as the Multiverse (in which you can create a character and just do what you want), and we can't always fault new players for not understanding the difference. We can, however, fault them for not reading.

I also have this issue, actually, in my own Garbage Dump Universe. I don't know if this worked only because the User was banned for being spammy and advertising, but I just edited the CS, accepted it, and will be working on User Friendly CS for RPs I have in mind. However, to those members that are not banned and the CS is still there cluttering up your character numbers, I can really see how that could make you feel as a creator. We don't like clutter. None of us do.

While I am not sure that we could delete a character CS from a Universe, as it might actually delete the CS for the User, I can try and lobby for the ability to somehow remove a user from a Universe without deleting them.

A couple of things I can bring up to admin are: the ability to remove CS from a Universe and to somehow see if we can come up with an in-your-face tag for private RP. Also, perhaps to see if we can get a way to report CS for spam like we do threads.

EDIT: I actually went through your Universes. I am not sure which ones are super active, but you do have CS from a Spam account or two:
universes/fire-emblem-apotheosis/characters/nisha-batel

The rest of them look like CS from a bunch of 9-year olds.

As I said, I have had a few spammers myself. Actually, one of them somehow ended up in my Storage Dump without approval.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nemeseia on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:49 pm

I think that's the reason they gave us the option for OPEN and REQUIRE APPROVAL options so that we could control which characters were accepted, and which ones were not. As a way to give the GM control to which characters suited their universe--or even in some cases accept characters they personally liked.

All of the universes that I have created with my writing partner are active in a sense. We go through them one or two at a time. Take the Fire Emblem one, for example. That one has nearly two hundred posts alone, with Pokemon being our second active one, although we both had a mutual agreement that our Fire Emblem roleplay will be scrapped and revamped.

We should have the option to completely delete a character and remove them from the universe, period. As someone who used to do OPEN roleplays, it used to be that even with reservations, people were still allowed to submit characters for the same role as a means of competition. GM's would simply choose whichever one they liked best.

When things were run that way, people still worked hard on character sheets, only to not be accepted by the GM. Either way, a person's hard work was wasted in that sense. It really isn't about the clutter; it's simply about lack of reading and just willy-nilly submitting a character to something that is labeled Private in just about every way. It's in the sypnosis; it's in the tags; it's even at the bottom of the summary on the front page.

If there were a way to, perhaps, give PRIVATE universes the ability to delete characters from their universe, that would be amazing because it wouldn't matter if a person put hard work into creating a character. It would be simply a lack of reading and understanding that the roleplay isn't exactly an open roleplay, and it wouldn't clutter the character drop down.

With the Multiverse, it's a completely different thing altogether because it's made to satisfy the needs and desires of those who have a character concept they'd like to use, but can't because RP's being created nowadays don't quite suit the environment. They likely don't create their own universes in fear of not finding people to join, which is a whole nother problem that I won't get into, but is the reason why I no longer do OPEN roleplays.

As for characters that were submitted, a GM can edit the character sheet however they want because they are, in lack of better words, the OWNER of that roleplay and can make the changes necessary.

TL;DR
GM's should be given the ability to delete a character. Period. Or at least be given the option to remove that character permanently so that it does not show up as a character that is part of the universe and so that it doesn't appear in the character drop down menu if it so happens to start with a J and your character starts with a J.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nemeseia
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:58 pm

I just wanted to let you know that I did stick this topic in the Admin channel of the RPG chat for you. It should be looked at, and I hope we can find a way to make Private RPs a little easier for GMs to manage. I agree that a GM should be able to delete a character if they wish to, regardless of whether or not a Universe is private, Semi-Private, or open. Especially unapproved characters. I must have misread your whole thing, as I am reading-comprehension-handicapped these days. Apologies!

This is being discussed, and thank you for your input!

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nemeseia on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:08 pm

No worries, mombie. Sometimes I don't make sense in my writing and it gets difficult to convey things.

And thanks for the help! I apologize if this came off as cranky or rude or whathaveyou. That wasn't my intention at all; I was simply just trying to see if, maybe, something could be done about giving GM's the option to completely delete a character, especially for those of us who do private roleplays or 1x1's!

It would make life so much easier, and RPG is a state of everchanging organized--or in some cases disorganized--chaos! Still wouldn't really trade it for anything in the world.

Nemeseia
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Good Morning!

It's no problem. I, for one, understand that text does not easily convey certain things. Also, I would be the last person to talk about frustrated posts on RPG!

From what I understand, this was perhaps a bug that was not supposed to happen. The CS should not have been able to show up under the settings page or in character tagging. Per TOS, creative content cannot be completely deleted from the site by another User or the Admin team. Probably unless it is rule-breaking, honestly.

However, Remæus has fixed this issue. The characters should not be showing up on your Settings page. I have tested this in my own storage Universe, and it seems to be working fine. I can see that they may still show up under the # of characters in the Universe, however, they no longer show up in character tagging.

Hopefully, this will ease some of your frustrations. The Ignore/Reject feature should be working properly now.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nemeseia on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks, mombie.

I had yet another person submit a character to the Private roleplay, today, though from the *character* they submitted, it was likely from a spam account.

I think the real issue is that anyone can submit a character to a roleplay even if all the obvious labels are placed to say it is private or a 1x1. It would be difficult to do, I understand, but if there was a way for private roleplays to have an option to be set *to* private, so that the only ones able to submit characters would be the GM and any co-GM that is added as such, it would make things so much easier.

Again, that's just wishful thinking, but it would be nice.

Nemeseia
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Unfortunately, all Universes are suffering from spam CS (I had a co-GM just ignore/reject one this morning before I got to it, and have been receiving many of these across all my Universes), not just private ones. In a sense, aside from the Multiverse, most of the Universes are closed off after a certain amount of characters are accepted. Thus, they are not exactly "open" like the Multiverse. We understand your pain, from GMs that run private Universes to those of us that are technically Open but no longer accepting characters into the story. I'm not sure that there will ever be a feature that will allow us to officially close a Universe to CS. As far as the Staff is concerned, all Universes are designed to be "Open", in some way, shape, or form. Whether or not we agree with that, as I certainly don't, that is the consensus that I have noted.

The best advice that I can give you is to just ignore/reject the CS for now. Also, report the spammy CS. If you want, you can always PM me with a list of Users that are spamming you with CS. I don't think there is a report function for Users and for spam CS, but I will be working on trying to get something like that implemented. I will also lobby harder for help regarding Universes because there are MAJOR differences between Universes and the Multiverse that I feel like Staff should be more understanding of. We need to be facilitated and helped as well, and I am hoping that I can be of some help to get there.

There are big changes underway, so just bear with me and I will do my best to help campaign for Universes and our issues, of which are separate from the Multiverse. The Staff here are working on many things at once, but I feel like if we make more noise for the Universes, we will be able to work on getting some of our own problems fixed.

This may not be the solution you want, or what you want to hear at all, but we will get there. Universes make up a huge part of RPG, so that means that problems within these Universes should be at least voiced or a chance to be addressed.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:54 pm

We already offer this feature of only allowing a certain number of characters via requiring GM approval of characters before they can play in a universe. Once the limit has been reached, all further submissions should be kept in limbo and then approved in the eventuality that one of the original players goes missing for a while in order to keep the activity rolling. Remæus refers to this as having a low "bus factor," which is an informal measure of how severely activity would be affected if one of the players were to be hit by a bus.

It is the GM's responsibility to keep players informed on these matters. Those being kept in a holding pattern should receive a politely worded PM explaining the situation so they don't waste their time waiting on a response and can go on to play somewhere else until a spot opens up.

I'm interested to know what you mean by a "spam CS" though. Could you link some examples so myself and my team know what to look for?

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:09 pm

I have put some spam CS on the GitHub. When I went through Nemesia's Universes, I noticed that she had CS that were advertisements. These are users that do not post on the forum, but they opt to post their advertisements through CS. If you look at Github, you will see my own spam CS with BangladeshGirls.

Also, the issue is Nemesia's universes are PRIVATE PRIVATE PRIVATE. They are clearly labeled. No other characters will be accepted unless they were invited by the GM. No one should be applying to it. NO OTHER CHARACTERS WILL EVER EVER BE APPROVED unless they belong to one of the people ALREADY IN THE GROUP or perhaps invited in some other manner.

Some spam CS in her Universe was "I'm a werewolf, blah blah blah," but her Universe is CLEARLY Pokemon and there is no reason for anyone to submit some silly one-lined Werewolf CS. People are not reading, and it is bothering her to have to continue Ignoring/Rejecting CS when her Universe is clearly labeled PRIVATE. She wants to close her Universe off for CS submissions BECAUSE IT MESSES WITH THE NUMBER OF CHARACTERS SHOWN WITH STORIES. If she has seven active players but ignored/rejected 10 CS, it shows that there are 17 characters with stories to follow WHICH IS FALSE AND MISLEADING BECAUSE ONLY 7 WERE APPROVED. It bothers her. It bothers a lot of us, actually.

NO SPOT WILL EVER BE OPEN IN PRIVATE UNIVERSES EVER.

I get that you don't seem to understand that since you have more of a heavy presence in Multiverse, but in order for you to help fix the grievances of your OTHER USERS, you really need to take some time to understand things from OUR VIEWPOINT. Which you are not seeming to understand. I am not trying to be an asshole, but you are not getting what the issue is. The issue is that these universes ARE NOT OPEN TO OTHERS or that THEY BECOME FULL AND WE DO NOT WANT MORE PEOPLE APPLYING UNLESS WE RE-OPEN SPOTS OR MAYBE WRITERS DROP OFF AND SPOTS OPEN LIKE THAT. Whatever bias that maybe had toward these Universes shouldn't matter because they make up the bulk of your RPG player base, and they should be listened to and respected and understood.

The real issue is that most people, especially newer members, are not reading these Universes. They don't understand that these Universes are not the Multiverse - most, if not all, require approval BEFORE submitted CS. Some already have a group of writers in mind and are not accepting anyone outside. When we say we are closed or private, people are still submitting CS.

TRUST ME, if we have open spots, we will let RPG know we have open spots. Otherwise, these Universes have an unwritten rule that you ask via the OOC forum or reserve a character before submitting CS. This isn't the Multiverse. The GMs here have a specific story, specific character needs, rules, and more.
Last edited by mombie on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:11 pm

A private Pokemon universe, you say? You have my attention.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Nemesia's Pokemon Universes are Private. They may be a group of friends or whatever, but they are private. She isn't accepting other people, but people keep applying - especially spam. It's easier for spammers to apply with CS because there is no report function for CS like there is for threads on a forum.

In fact, my Co-GM of a private RP Universe just rejected CS this morning from someone that clearly didn't read anything at all, otherwise, they'd have known that there was zero chance for acceptance because it is private.

This is from my storage Universe where you can see users using CS to get in Spam.

Take this Private Universe that is just me and one other player, just two CS required.

Yet it says that there are 3 characters with stories, which is not true. That is because, just this morning, the co-gm rejected a profile from someone that didn't care to read. They just see a title and believe that they can put in a CS. But that's not how the Universe works. That is also not how Nemesia's Universes work.

mombie
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby Nemeseia on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 pm

I think the issue is mostly that there isn't a real clear way to label something PRIVATE without it being in the actual Title itself. Which would then just make the RP look messy and cluttered.

Even if it's in the sypnosis as one of the first things roleplayers read, or in the summary, or in the tags, or in an OOC thread--which I stopped posting those kinds of things because they weren't necessary when it's just me and one other person who write--it's like roleplayers get excited because they see the type of UNIVERSE that it is, and it immediately intrigues them.

For example, the Pokemon universe I have with my co-writer. It has PRIVATE labeled in just about every way. It's in all three places that are clear to see, even in the sypnosis, but people either read over it, or just don't like paying attention. My RP partner and I have used this site for years for a lot of our roleplays because it's familiar and one of the better laid out roleplay sites.

I think with PRIVATE roleplays, they should have a function that is similar to the one that has OPEN characters, or REQUIRE APPROVAL when a new Universe is being made. That way it limits the amount of spam character sheets, and the only people who are allowed to submit characters would be the GM and the co-GM. My only hesitance on something like that, though, is that I have had experience in the past that adding a co-GM is not always functional. For one RP, I was able to add my writing partner as a co-GM, but for another RP, I was not able to.

From my understanding, it was because RPG was going through a glitch at the time, but I still CANNOT add my writing partner to that RP as a co-GM. Not that it's of any use, now, because that RP universe is currently closed. But having an option to whether or not allow an RP to be OPEN or PRIVATE should be at least a thought.

I know RPG has gone through so many design changes, and changes in general, and it's ever evolving, and some things have become easier, however; I think GM's should have more authority and control over their own universes. I'm not saying make it like an admin-level authority, but giving a GM the option to reject characters completely from their universes should be something they can do so that it keeps their universe clean and easier to navigate. Especially for those who like cleaner looking roleplays.

And from the state of most RP's--the ones that I've noticed at least--it's not so much as writers are leaving and spots are opening up. It's that GM's of other roleplays are barely getting theirs off the ground before disappearing. That's another issue that I won't go into because I no longer participate in open roleplays like that, but still, it's almost the same concept. Having characters in limbo just in case a spot opens up is ineffectual and doesn't really serve a purpose. If a GM decides that they only want 8 roleplayers, and choose 8, then the other 5 that may have been submitted should be able to be deleted, and the actual number of characters should be present. So instead of it saying 13, it'll say 8.

It might seem like we're being nit-picky, but it gives a more accurate representation of how many characters are actually part of the story/roleplay who have stories to follow.

As a long-time member of this site, I know things are constantly changing, but maybe one of those things should be how Universes can and should be labeled. If it's not part of the Multiverse, any GM should have more control over their own roleplay--even if it's based off of something like pokemon--they should have a little more control over it.

It might just be my biased opinion.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

Nemeseia
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:32 pm

We've since added the ability to make a Universe actually private, which makes it inaccessible to the public (available during Universe creation). Hopefully this will alleviate your issues!

As for the co-GM feature, the recipient must be online and viewing the Universe at the time of using the /addGameMaster command. This is due to the legacy code powering the old chat, but we plan to fix this soon.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nemeseia on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:28 pm

It hasn’t happened in a while—and I think that has a lot to do with not being quite as active for reasons—but is there a way to make *current* role plays private? I just had another person create a character in a role play that was created before the private option, even though there are tags EVERYWHERE that label it a private role play.

Nemeseia
Member for 9 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!