Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! » Long term partner to play an older male wanted »

On Combat

a topic in Flame Wars, a part of the RPG forum.

PLEASE keep ANY quarrel to these forums. This is not an ammo dump, either. Please TRY to resolve your issues PEACEFULLY.

Re: On Combat

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FattiMagoo on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:42 am

I guess I could say yes to some of those things. I understand that you were serious, don't get me wrong, I miss the old chatroom too. I wouldn't mind getting in touch with old enemys, friends, people who got the joke. I had serious characters too, well as serious as they got back then. I even fought every now and then. I remember the lulz I got fighting FAIRLY as Kazaam the genie against some vampire guy.

It's one of those things we can't go back to. Something we will never be able to recreate.

Look at me, I'm getting all sentimental.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

FattiMagoo
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dionysus on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm sure there are a few people in this Gateway community who could also relate to some of those things, and of course there are a lot of roleplayers here who can't, and that too is understandable... But the idea is not to go back to it, as obviously you can never replace the times past, or the people who you've experienced those times with... The idea is merely trying not to forget. It is an act of rememberance, and as we get older we must try our best to stay young, and keep our youthful imaginations. There are three words you used in your last post, which I think best expresses the whole idea... "joke", "lulz", and "sentimental".

As simple a meaning as those three words express, I think you clearly underlined the point... In fact, the idea itself has never changed, it is still the same idea as before. The only thing that really changed is the internet, the people who surf the web, and the happenings therein. Roleplaying has always been about fun, enjoyment, relaxation and social bonding. Roleplaying is a game, but that does not mean you have to forget the important things in that game. I had a friend from Comicity who was one of the first diehard on-line fighters I know, before there was yet a difference between roleplaying and textual combat.

My friend had an awesome idea in mind, which appealed not only to on-line fighters but to real-life martial artists as well. His idea was to combined one's creative writing skills, with one's proper experienced knowledge of the martial arts, into a unique and scientific way of on-line fighting which involved more than just the imagination. His name was Leiryou, and his inspiration helped create the sort of textual combat schemes we see today. For people like Leiryou, on-line fighting was not just a game any more, but a way of learning from others. The fantasy aspect of combat was replaced by well-thought, well-written fighting actions that revolved around realistic strategies and the laws of physics. Textual combat was starting to become a science.

Today, we see this type of roleplaying all the time. Back then, not so much, everything was still pretty much based on pure imagination. Leiryou and roleplayers like him helped to seperate the Roleplaying realm from the Combative realm, whereas back then there really was no seperation between them. Unfortunately, he never lived to see the RPG universe as it is today. Leiryou passed away IRL in 2001 (or 2002?). As he was a mentor to my fighting character IC, so too was I inspired by his ideas in OOC, and today I am just one of a digressing few who are still trying to keep strategic MA text fighting alive. Leiryou himself can never be brought back, but the idea in which he had never died with him. In fact, it's more wide spread now than it was in Leiryou's life-time.

That's just one example of what I'm trying to get at... There are other roleplayers who revolutionized the RPG universe also, Leiryou is just one of the first ones who pops into mind at this moment, because he was a real close friend of mine who actually died in real-life, but who also helped contribute a lot to (well, at least) textual combat.
DIONYSUS THE TWICE BORNE
THE HUMAN BEING WHO DIED TO BECOME THE IMMORTAL GOD
VETERAN ROLEPLAYER AND GUARDIAN OF TEXTUAL COMBAT SINCE 1998

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Dionysus
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend Dionysus

I remember the egos from when I text-fought a lot. Oh the egos! I never saw the point of arguing over the winner. Most people I fought with had the narritive sense to end a combat when it was obvious someone had one, and when I lost, I lost. Simple as that.

There were, however, the sort of people who never give in and will always find a way to not be beaten. Even if it's obvious to everyone else they were. These people will never go away but they mostly grow out of it. The easiest solution is probably not to play with them, but I know from experience how enraging, frustrating and how much it spoils the game when people like that are playing. You wish for a good RPer to come along and take their place :P

The one example I remember, is that of a kid who would not accept defeat, who fought about four experienced text-fighters, who were recognised as great sports, fair fighters and all with decent narrative ability. Each time this kid would refuse they had beat him, infront of several witnesses, and would argue with a judges verdict on the competition, and resort to calling us all names.

It ended amusingly, (though he kept bugging people after that - sigh) when one of my friends asked me to talk to him, to see if he could be turned round to a different point of view. So, not really knowing what to say I talked to him and was a bit too frank. So the kid gets annoyed and starts telling people how rubbish they are again. Then he challenges me, and starts into a piece about bowing and preparing his weapon etc.

However, he started doing all of his pre-battle spiel AFTER he'd bowed to signify the start of combat. So, my character bowed back, and put a blade into his heart. Which he refused to accept, it was at this point the four experienced text-fighters all came into the arena and started mullering him, one of them actually held his character still while the others text-slew him into oblivion. It wasn't a proud moment, for me who had basically used trickery (though by technical rules of the time had done nothing unfair or against the rules) or for the four who literally held him down and beat his character to a pulp. Needless to say after this event all he would do is slander the experienced players and brag about how much better he was.

The moral of this story is: don't let 11 year old kids who think they're Gods gift to roleplaying get on your nerves, because it only ends in feeding their ego and even in other players losing perspective. Or simply not having fun anymore. So ignore them, and let them get bored of themselves.
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FattiMagoo on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:10 pm

The people who refused to loose where great! I mean, one compliment to any of them, and they were a friend for life, and a little cannon to fire at people who were getting on my nerves. "Gee wiz ssj5vampiregoku, you sure are a great fighter. Say, I bet you can't beat xXxcyborgjoexXx!"

I guess my point is that everyone had their place, and yah, some people could get a little annoying at times, but that was a the beauty of that place. Everyone could attend, and everyone was impossible to ignore completely. There's only so much "I'M ALL POWERFUL! YOU CAN'T BEAT ME!" someone can take. Those guys were awesome to group together.

On a completely different note, remember how you had the option to make your own chatroom? On a dull day you could go looking around for them if you typed random words after comicity.com/chat/XXXX. You didn't have to try for more than 10 minutes before you would find the remnants of someone's cybersexings. Then all you had to do was give it out to everyone.

meeeeeeemories

FattiMagoo
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Dionysus on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:22 pm

That's a good story Wakboth, and a great example as well. I agree with what you're saying to some extent, but I'd also have to agree with FattiMagoo in that rather than just ignoring someone, put that person in a group of similar people. So they're nine-years-old, back in the days we just called them noobs... You can't get rid of a problem by ignoring it, and some people would say that being a noob really isn't a problem at all, just a natural phaze that every nine-year-old must go through... This is perhaps the greatest time to do something in their lives, by trying to make a change. Now if the noob is just flat out ignorant, then neither talking to them nor sparring with them is going to work. Ignorance is a problem, and when nothing else breeds accomplishment, then perhaps Wakboth is right and you should ignore them... If possible, I would just get an admin to temporarily ban them from the site/chat/forum. Then if they don't get the point after a while, I would probably ban them permanently. That's just me.

Dionysus
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FattiMagoo on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:42 pm

Thats kind of the system we have going on here Dio, forums these days are a log easier to moderate than they were say... 5 years ago. At the same time, I think that, although you are on the right track, you may be missing my point about the usage of Noobs. You can't pick people up by the scruff of their necks and place them into where they should be. I would struggle against it, and an 11 year old who wants to be a supersaiyan vampire with nothing to loose would struggle even harder. These things must happen naturally, with only gentle nudging in the right direction.

I would also like to point out that I was never Mahatma Gandhi. In fact, I pushed more people's buttons than most people in CC, not to mention other chats and forums. Guess thats just my way of trying to get out of being a hypocrite.

I've also always liked a large amount of factions. One ruling group like the Ž-senshi was cool, but I think it served better as a legacy than it did as a group of Samurai making things safe for everyone. Although I can't remember their names, there were a lot of smaller clans, and even unnamed associations of friends (cliques I should say) fighting against each other for one reason or another, and it was nice to have some people who were lower on the totem pole. I still remember when people would slap 151 of fugie on the end of their name. Thems were the days.

FattiMagoo
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightblade on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:39 am

I agree with everyone here on this subject... sometimes I'll do stuff like make impossible dodges but it's due to my guy/girl being insanely lucky at that time. more often than not I'll acknowledge the attack and post accordingly taking into consideration the area... both fighter's speed... how damaged my guy/girl is. how worn out they are... and whether something is stopping/inhibiting their movement (I sometimes flip a coin in RL.... heads it's dodged, tails it's not... and I'm mature enough to post according to how it lands unlike some gits I've seen out there...)

nightblade
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FattiMagoo on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:40 pm

People agreeing with me, now thats something new.

I like the coin flip idea, it seems like a fair practice when fighting slower fighters (you don't really have time to do that with the speedier ones). I've also found that there was strong social pressure to well... get hit. I mean, the very culture around fighting, if someone took the time to notice, meant that sometimes getting beat yielded more respect then winning at all costs. Now if you wanted people to hate you, thats another story entirely...

FattiMagoo
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightblade on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:41 am

OK thought I'd provide some examples on bad combat... and for this I've called on three members of my family from a RP on a different message board message board... say hi kitten, ari and iris!

Image kitten (4 years old): hi ~nya!

Image iris (16-18 area): hello!

Image ari (about a year younger than iris): sup!

ok #1 luck and taking it to god modding... *watches ari and iris get into positions* ok iris is one person's character and ari is someone else's charcter when I say turn it means post from both sides ok ready...begin!

turn #1

ari: *throws a punch at iris's head*

iris: *dodges*

turn 2

ari: *combos it into a right hook*

turn 3

ari: *does a real complex kick that is hard to dodge*

ok stop!

ari and iris: *stop*

this is what I meant by luck, iris is dodging everything ari throws at her...but... continue...

turn 5

ari: *lashes out with a roundhouse kick*

iris: *gets hit and is sent to the ground*

there it is... iris's luck ran out and she copped the roundhouse kick from ari now godmodding

iris: *gets up and gets back into position* ready!

ok example 2 begin

turn 1:

ari: *lashes out with a right hook*

turns 2 to 20

ari: *attacks*

stop! *watches as they stop* that's god modding on iris's part since she's dodgeing all the attacks ari's throwing at her for 20 turns next up's neko's and their batshit dodgeing skills

ari: *steps back*

kitten: *steps up to the fighting area*

begin!

turn 1:

iris: *attacks*

kitten: *dodges with ease*

turn 2

iris: *attacks with a hard to dodge attack*

kitten: *dodges with ease again*

stop! you see what's going down? kit's dodgeing it cause neko's have great agility most of the time but it can go too far so next turn on in a near turn kit would have to take a hit ok switch!

kitten and ari: *switch*

#3 time stopping and OMGWTFMATRIXDODGES

begin!

iris: *attacks*

ari: *uses a watch to stop time and walks behind iris*

now this watch is fine since it has a time limit of the post it's used

turn 2:

iris: *misses with her attack and spins around to attack again*

ari: *uses another watch to stop time then reads a book*

this one's a god mod since it has no limit...

ari: *moves into a corner then restores time*

iris: *moves closer to ari*

ok example #whatever OMGWTFMATRIXDODGES begin

iris: *does a hard to dodge attack*

ari: *does a dodge you would expect to see in the matrix*

ok that's bad... unless you can moderate that very well don't do this caus it will piss off other RPers

that's all for now we'll show more tommrow maybe!

iris: good bye and thanks for takeing the time to read this *bows*

ari: later!

kitten: bye and thanks for reading uncle night's work ~nya!

nightblade
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Matthias on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:21 am

I never bothered to read any of this threads content except for the last post and the title of the thread. >_> Did notice the day it was revived, though. Which is a shame as this shouldn't have happened, but no matter. <_<

Nightblade: What's wrong with

turn #1

turn 2

I mean, sure, it lacks description to the only point of which direction ari dodged. >_> Other than that, totally acceptable. <_< So, as far as I can see, you just seem to have a problem with lack of description(?)

(I sometimes flip a coin in RL.... heads it's dodged, tails it's not...

Tee-hee.

But I agree, recognition of these contents should be applied not only when dodging but when attacking as well: Landscape, fatigue, body stature(of both characters), vision, footing, and over-all skill the character possesses.

These things must happen naturally, with only gentle nudging in the right direction.

Sometimes, if the user is like Alucroas, you need to cunt-punt the pussy. >_> Can't wait for Alucroas' reaction when he reads that. >_>

"I'M ALL POWERFUL! YOU CAN'T BEAT ME!"

SERIOUSLY

Matthias
Member for 18 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby nightblade on Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:46 pm

Matthias wrote:I never bothered to read any of this threads content except for the last post and the title of the thread. >_> Did notice the day it was revived, though. Which is a shame as this shouldn't have happened, but no matter. <_<

Nightblade: What's wrong with

turn #1

turn 2

I mean, sure, it lacks description to the only point of which direction ari dodged. >_> Other than that, totally acceptable. <_< So, as far as I can see, you just seem to have a problem with lack of description(?)

I was just doing a basic fight description with that to show the difference between a good fight and a bad fight

nightblade
Member for 16 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!