Announcements: Initiative: Promoting Forum Roleplay » Universe of the Month! » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newbies » RPG Chat — the official app » USERNAME CHANGES » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Platonic numbers » No complaints (a little bit of rappin) » Any multi-player roleplay videogamers here? » Needing a woman's perspective on a concept » Gluts and Gaps » Universal Basic Income » Impending Pursuit Q&A » Eudaimonia » Loot! » Natural Kinds » I have a funny idea » Life in the 21st century. » Song of the Runes » Plato’s Beard » Clues » Nihilism » Strange Tales From Hadean » Art Gulag [ Come get this Commish! ] » Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation » Presuppositionalism »

Players Wanted: Players wanted for a science fiction adventure. » Players needed for Fantasy Romance reboot » One(1) male & Two(2) Female Roles OPEN <3 » Talmora: Kingdom of magic » Looking For A New Partner » Hellboy characters » 18+ Writing Partner [Fantasy, Romance, Etc.] » 18+, Multi-Para to Novella Writers please! » Looking for roleplayers » Fun tale full of angels, demons, and humans » Looking for roleplayers » A Fairytale World in Need of Heroes & Villains! » Are You a Crime Addict? » Wuxia RP » Looking for roleplayers » New Realistic Roleplay - Small World Life ٩( ´・ш・)و » Mentors Wanted » MV Recruiting Drive: sci-fi players wanted! » Veilbrand: The Revolution » Gonna do this anyway. »

Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation

Tips: 2.00 INK Postby Kaeru on Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 am

Hey!

I wanna preface this by saying I totally understand why private universes are hidden from the ‘newest universes’ list, for the sake of not deterring new members. That’s not really the issue I’m looking to address.

Mostly I’m wondering why they’re also invisible on our profiles, under ‘universes created.’ This feels a little excessive in terms of hiding private work on the site, to be honest, especially when character sheets submitted to these same private universes are visible on your profile and are similarly inaccessible. Perhaps I’m missing something here but that doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense to me. There may be some users on the site (myself included) who would like to have their work displayed on their profile, even if the content itself is not accessible, or who feel like private universes don’t really need to be hidden to this extent.

Extending from my main point, if I’m not overstepping at all, I’d like to make a couple of suggestions for some minor improvements to the current set-up for indy universes and user profiles. Of course, I’m aware that I can’t speak for everyone, so if you agree or disagree with anything I’ve said here, I’d appreciate the feedback and sharing of opinions.

As it stands, the suggestions we've accumulated are:

• The ability to choose whether or not our private universes are open to outside viewers. They'd still remain hidden from the 'newest universes' page but could be accessed via user profiles or link sharing.
  • Remove the INK fee for creating private universes.
  • Customisation of which role-plays we display under ‘universes created’ on our profile without the need to flag them as abandoned.
  • As I’ve seen it suggested in other threads, the option to close CS applications on public universes (for example, if all the character slots are filled) for which the introduction of hidden private universes was not a fair solution imo, nor is being able to reject/remove these sheets after the fact.
  • (Wolf's Bane109) Fix the issue of removed/rejected/abandoned sheets still appearing when tagging characters in a post to avoid the wrong sheets being selected, or being randomly tagged in the MV for characters that don't exist anymore.

So yeah, that’s pretty much it on my end, I think. If this thread sparks any kind of discussion or more suggestions are put forward, I might come back and add more or build upon the ones already listed.

Thanks for hearing me out!
Last edited by Kaeru on Mon May 31, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 2.00 INK in return for their work.

Kaeru
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Giver Person of Interest

Re: Visibility of Private Universes & Profile Customisation

Tips: 1.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Mon May 31, 2021 9:01 am

Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully put this together! I know several of those points are concerns I've heard expressed by other users in the past as well, so I certainly agree those suggestions sound promising. It would be especially nice to be able to have that share option for 1X1 stories in case we wanted feedback from our friends on RPG, or just wanted to proudly share our work. I certainly see no disadvantage to having this option, and if our end goal is to help increase engagement on site amongst existing loyal users, as well as attract new ones with more inclusive features, that could be an good change to consider. Just my thoughts though. :)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 1.00 INK in return for their work.

Kohananinja
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Mon May 31, 2021 10:16 am

Thank you. You put this together much more nicely than I possibly ever could. Both myself and a couple of others that do private Universes also have the same grievances.

The staff doesn't like 1x1's/private-verses, and that's all I am going to say. It's unfair to have them hidden to this extent and to pay a 'fee' because of bias.

Edit: Also, this has been brought up before- but it was ignored. Several times. Good luck!
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wolf's Bane109 on Mon May 31, 2021 2:20 pm

Kaeru wrote:
Hey!

I wanna preface this by saying I totally understand why private universes are hidden from the ‘newest universes’ list, for the sake of not deterring new members. That’s not really the issue I’m looking to address.

Mostly I’m wondering why they’re also invisible on our profiles, under ‘universes created.’ This feels a little excessive in terms of hiding private work on the site, to be honest, especially when character sheets submitted to these same private universes are visible on your profile and are similarly inaccessible. Perhaps I’m missing something here but that doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense to me. There may be some users on the site (myself included) who would like to have their work displayed on their profile, even if the content itself is not accessible, or who feel like private universes don’t really need to be hidden to this extent.

Extending from my main point, if I’m not overstepping at all, I’d like to make a couple of suggestions for some minor improvements to the current set-up for indy universes and user profiles. Of course, I’m aware that I can’t speak for everyone, so if you agree or disagree with anything I’ve said here, I’d appreciate the feedback and sharing of opinions.

As it stands, my suggestions are:

• The ability to choose whether or not our private universes are open to outside viewers. They'd still remain hidden from the 'newest universes' page but could be accessed via user profiles or link sharing.
  • Remove the INK fee for creating private universes.
  • Customisation of which role-plays we display under ‘universes created’ on our profile without the need to flag them as abandoned.
  • As I’ve seen it suggested in other threads, the option to close CS applications on public universes (for example, if all the character slots are filled) for which the introduction of hidden private universes was not a fair solution imo, nor is being able to reject/remove these sheets after the fact.

So yeah, that’s pretty much it on my end, I think. If this thread sparks any kind of discussion or more suggestions are put forward, I might come back and add more or build upon the ones already listed.

Thanks for hearing me out!

I second a lot of these points being brought up. They're even some issues I've been trying to make be noticed by staff for literal years. So, thank you for bringing this up in a forum!

The visibility of Private Universes: I do agree to this. Sure, having them not be visible on the front page makes sense, and I agree that it's understandable to have them kept from public viewing. In that extent anyway. But, if people can click onto someone's profile and then view it that way, there shouldn't be an issue that way. Having to 'add' people as a curator/admit to a privated RP, just so they can view it, is absurd and a bit far to get around privated universes, imo. So, I agree with that point being brought up.

RP status: I also agree on this. Sometimes RP's take literal years to be closed by the site itself. I had like 4 rp's that were sent to be closed literally 4 years ago, and never got closed. Only had been due to a staff member doing so after I brought it up. We should at least be able to have those stopped being able to be viewed on our profiles. Cuz I have a ton of ones that are shown as created, and they have been dead or closed for literal years. And due to that, it makes it seem to people that they're still open or active, when they aren't.

CS application window: This!!!! A thousand times THIS. The amount of times I get new people randomly submitting a CS, or even bots submitting in a CS, when all spots are very clearly taken, or I even state in the header that no spots are available, is very frustrating and annoying. I get so many Character Sheets send to RP's that have been dead for years, all the time and having to reject them every time is beyond annoying.

Another point that goes along with the last point, is the problem with abandoned characters. By that, I mean when people submit in a sheet, and posting comes, and that character writer has jumped ship. There's no way to remove them from the RP, and their sheet is still able to be tagged in a post. or even more annoying, is when you submit a CS, and then delete it if you made a mistake. Such a case in partially-stars RP Evermore, you can very clearly see that a sheet I had submitted but then later deleted/abandoned, once I noticed the mistake in the spelling of the name. Even though that CS is not there at all, as I deleted it from my character list, it's still able to be tagged. And is often mistakingly tagged instead of the one that's meant to be tagged. I know it's minor, but things like this is incredibly annoying.

As an example, let's say someone had a character in the Multiverse, and had posted a few times. but then later abandoned it. Well, someone else comes along, sees that character in available to be tagged section, and tags said character. Without knowing there's no character to reply for anymore. I know it can be considered nit-picky. But as someone who often gets tagged in things, that I no longer have a part in, is very annoying and gives me false notifications for things I no longer have a part in.

That's just all my personal opinions and thoughts. And I could honestly go on for hours, just discussing these topics that have been brought up in this thread, among many others. But I won't. Just figured I'd give my two cents in, seeing as I've been a long time member of the site and have been trying to bring awareness to these topics for years.

Just glad to see others are indeed noticing these issues as well.

-Cheers, Wolf.
Image Image
Image Image
"I don't need a metaphor for you to know I'm miserable."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Wolf's Bane109
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Person of Interest Streamwatcher Friendly Beginnings World Builder Novelist Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kaeru on Mon May 31, 2021 4:12 pm

Kohananinja wrote:I certainly see no disadvantage to having this option, and if our end goal is to help increase engagement on-site amongst existing loyal users, as well as attract new ones with more inclusive features, that could be an good change to consider.

This is a very good point!

The way it feels right now is that if the end goal is to increase engagement on-site, especially with existing members, things aren't exactly heading in the best direction for that. Most of the consistently active indy-verse writers who'd like to guarantee activity for certain projects are being pushed into some far-off corner of the site. Out of sight, out of mind. It's a little disheartening, I guess, and all these frustratingly roundabout 'solutions' and new features are only making it more difficult to rationalise things any differently. Maybe that's not intentional but they also don't seem too keen on listening and acting upon their members' feedback in a way that feels fair. Every action that is taken feels so far from what we've actually asked for and only really creates more problems. Allowing us a few basic quality-of-life improvements would go a long way to improving the atmosphere of the community that already exists on the site. We can't possibly hope to attract and sustain new membership without that necessary first step.

mombie wrote:The staff doesn't like 1x1's/private-verses, and that's all I am going to say. It's unfair to have them hidden to this extent and to pay a 'fee' because of bias.

Edit: Also, this has been brought up before- but it was ignored. Several times. Good luck!

It certainly does feel like a majority of the staff team are MV-focused and have a bias against non-MV members; likening us to a clique, blaming us for the site's inability to retain new members while choosing to ignore its concerning amount of other problems, and only ever making those problems worse with questionable choices. From what I've seen so far, taking the chance to commend partially-stars for her continued efforts, we only really have one staff member I've seen who's committed to advocating for the non-MV side of the community. That's not to say all other staff members are working against us or that none of them has ever spoken in our favour but there's an undeniable imbalance on the staff team for community representation that's making it near impossible for us to be heard. Maybe this has been brought up several times before and nothing's ever come of it, I think it's important that we keep pushing and pushing for that change regardless.

Wolf's Bane109 wrote:Having to 'add' people as a curator/admit to a privated RP, just so they can view it, is absurd and a bit far to get around privated universes, imo.

Another very good point. It's another huge example of how writers in private universes and 1x1s are stuck with roundabout methods for something that should be a simple solution. I'll be honest, I'm not sure how much power is actually granted to curators who are added to private universes so my thoughts on this suggestion are going to be a little limited, but it does seem like a strange choice that you can't add some people as curators and others simply as viewers. Allowing friends and fellow writers on the site to view private role-plays they're not participating in (especially now that they're also hidden from the 'newest universes' list) is not the same as excluding them, which I think has been a huge misconception so far.

Wolf's Bane109 wrote:RP status: I also agree on this. Sometimes RP's take literal years to be closed by the site itself. I had like 4 rp's that were sent to be closed literally 4 years ago, and never got closed. Only had been due to a staff member doing so after I brought it up. We should at least be able to have those stopped being able to be viewed on our profiles. Cuz I have a ton of ones that are shown as created, and they have been dead or closed for literal years. And due to that, it makes it seem to people that they're still open or active, when they aren't.

I can't hit on this point too much because on some level I feel like the issue you're referring to was (mostly) solved with the ability to 'abandon' roleplays, which hides them from your profile without needing a moderator to close them. I do agree this was a huge issue on the site for a long time though. My point was mostly that you shouldn't have to abandon or close those old/inactive universes (some of which you may have a sentimental attachment to, but don't necessarily want featured alongside your recent work) simply to have some control over what appears on your profile. This feels like it should be a given, to be honest.

Wolf's Bane109 wrote:There's no way to remove them from the RP, and their sheet is still able to be tagged in a post. or even more annoying, is when you submit a CS, and then delete it if you made a mistake. Such a case in partially-stars RP Evermore, you can very clearly see that a sheet I had submitted but then later deleted/abandoned, once I noticed the mistake in the spelling of the name. Even though that CS is not there at all, as I deleted it from my character list, it's still able to be tagged. And is often mistakingly tagged instead of the one that's meant to be tagged. I know it's minor, but things like this is incredibly annoying.

I agree, this is most definitely a feature that needs some reconsideration. I'll make sure to go back and add that to the original list, thank you for reminding me!

Kaeru
Member for 6 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Giver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mjolnir on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:44 pm

I agree with all the comments above as well. I mentioned this before in the suggestions thread, so maybe more voices might help it get another look.

I think private tags are fine, but personally I just don't like how they are hidden. I know plenty of people like to read RPs, even if they don't partake, like fanfic readers, etc. I have nothing personal that I want to hide in my private RPs, so I'd like them to be open for people to read. And even if RPs are listed as private, that doesn't necessarily mean we wouldn't like a PM from someone who is interested in joining. Just because it's not an open group RP, doesn't mean we wouldn't consider letting someone else join.

I think the private tag should be just that, a tag, nothing more. Maybe add a little button or choice somewhere so we can choose if we want it to be hidden or publicly viewable. Maybe there should just be two categories under the Universes page "Public" and "Private" RPs. Easy peasy.
Image Image
Image Image

mjolnir
Designer
Member for 6 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Person of Interest Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Visual Appeal Streamwatcher World Builder Tipworthy Greeter Lifegiver Group Theory Giver Arc Warden

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

Become a Patron!

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!