Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

War Discussion

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Leon Gray on Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:20 pm

I know what you mean, a good discussion would help some. Treize is so secretive though. -mumble-

Guess I'll get to recruiting, vengeance and rebuilding won't be easy.
(Email: mailto:leon_the_drow@yahoo.com. <---Best way to contact)

"Listen man, if I attempt to Spaghettify you, you WILL be spaghettified. No freakin' way around that. Seriously. God."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Leon Gray
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Alucroas on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:41 pm

Now to you sinful soul. I have no problem with reducing the powers of my monster Alucroas, who case in point does have an exceedingly high level of power and abilities due to the fact that he's a fusion charactr made from two separate entities. Now when worst comes to worst I most likely will unleash the power that is acquired for this specific situation. The thing is that with Alucroas, his level of power and his abilities remain unused unless he actually needs them. Lately I've been seeing people use the entire load of their powers for even the tiniest of fights that they could've won without needing to use it. The restraint on levels of power could simply be put by telling Role Players and fighters on both sides to only use an ability if necessary and to not go running around, being able to fly, use alchemy, control shadows and what not all at once. Which reduces the level of complaints by people who think that their opponent is exaggerating their skill completely. Also on further note I agree with Kouketsu that something could come out of this war, I mean who knows, if we can get other clans involved that be great for creating newer conflicts and expanding the circumstances of the war which could possibly in turn create a multitude of things going on in the war. I think we can all agree that being subjective to one simple thing isn't all that well, when you have all those other people who bring new ideas to the table which is precisely why I've been looking for people all across the net to join in, not only for our side but for both sides and general idea of simply increasing our chances of appealing to people. As Kouketsu said before there is most definitely a multiverse so why not bring more people here and see what things they bring in to further help spur the growth of this RP.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Alucroas
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:09 pm

It's good that some characters don't have any powers at all.

To quote Cattivo's Complete Guide To Forum Fighting in a roleplaying persective:
Serrius wrote:What's the big deal with powers, many people ask. You see a lot of the veterans throwing them around and they always look really cool, but you always get yelled at when you, as a new person, use them. Why is that, you may wonder? Well, wonder no more, because that's why I'm here!

It's easiest to start off by stating what abilities should do, and then move on to what they shouldn't do. Abilities should:

1) Even the playing field. [Playing against a gunman when you're a samurai? Abilities might be useful.]

2) Accent the character. [A boxer who can go into a berserk rage is cool; a boxer who can spit globs of acid while flying around is just stupid.]

3) Enhance the experience. [It's one thing to fight a ninja; it's quite another to fight a ninja who has the ability to climb walls using his mad ninjutsu.]

4) Maintain a level of fun. [Many people just don't find it fun to play as an average Joe. That's why we come to these boards, after all: to play as pirate who can make a cut faster than the eye can see.]

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning anything. Nonetheless, these are excellent guides to powers, a bit of insight into what should and shouldn't fly. Very much so should we slow down with our higher level characters, and even the playing field.

It all boils down to using powers properly. Abilities should make your character interesting, not powerful. The goal is to combine techniques and traits to make a character that is fun to interact with. For every ability or trait that is positive, there should be a negative ability or trait. Balanced characters are the most fun to play and to play with.

A couple points from the same document:
Making abilities match the character is very important to creating a memorable fighter.

The amount of abilities and skill level of a character is irrelevant. The goal is to create a character who is balanced, and has an interesting array of techniques: a character who people will WANT to fight.

When possible, work things out with your opponent. This will create an experience that is more enjoyable for both sides.

Learn to master abilities, and then go out into the wide world of fighting a true master that people want to fight!

Let's keep in mind that we're roleplaying, not fighting. We shouldn't EVER have a single conflict over what hit what, and how it hit or if it hit at all. We're civilized roleplayers, and we should be doing something along the lines of pure orthodox roleplay, or something like it.

When in doubt, refer to the Roleplayer's Creed.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote:If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge

Previous

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.