Announcements: Introducing INK, the Writer's Currency » RPG's New Design Team » Now Open: RPG Staff Applications » 10 Years of RPG: Share Your Story » Can't Send PMs? Need Your 10-Forum Posts NOW? » A (Friendly) Reminder to All Romance RPers. » The Newbie's Guide to RolePlayGateway: Read This First! »

War Discussion

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Forum for completely Out of Character (OOC) discussion, based around whatever is happening In Character (IC). Discuss plans, storylines, and events; Recruit for your roleplaying game, or find a GM for your playergroup.

War Discussion

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:34 am

I felt this topic would be necessary - a good place to have OOC conversation on both sides.

So, Kouketsu has rounded up a large assault force on Wing City, as one of his other characters. There is already RP going on in chat on a daily basis, but this should kickstart everyone into actually participating. It is also a focus, mainly from my personal standpoint, to get the chat-only players to utilize the forum, and to get the forum-only players to utilize the chat.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the next few parts of this war rolling? I swear, if someone's character doesn't organize a resistance effort, I'm going to find one of my characters to do just that.

Otherwise, general OOC talk about the war may take place here.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonwolf on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:47 am

It IS morose that no one steps up to form a resistance team, alright then. Since Lacuna is mainly the one doing evacuation effort, I'd like anyone to come up and tell me you're making a resistance.

If I have to, I'll lead a small force of 2-5 elites to round up the more skilled enemy targets and take down the weaker ones.
Anyone?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Moonwolf
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:12 am

I just made an NPC post on the news about the war declaration, hopefully this'll provide the plot hook the other players need to get their characters involved.

Can we get any thoughts from the opposing side?

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marten on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:16 am

I believe the way things work from what I've been told is that there were to, initially, be some constraints when it came to those actively taking a role in the war, aside from roleplaying before, during or after each battle.

I believe it was something along the lines of two characters per "player", so that if one of your characters is to lose his life in battle, you'd have another and still be able to actively contribute to the war on either side.

Another regulation was for there to be active restrictions on character's powers. A good example would be Lantis, who lost consciousness after expending a great amount of energy to encircle Wing City with a thick layer of impenetrable ice. Yet, somehow something as simple as a "seed" was able to bore a hole into said ice. Or another character that used Alchemy and Chi-based attacks was able to take a large piece of it out, even though he showed no signs of exhaustion after having done so.

It seems to me as if Kouketsu's fighters are actually trying to recreate a semblance of realism in a world with such fantastic abilities, but others simply deny such acts and do things which are above the norm, even for "supernatural characters".

Marten
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:28 am

Yeah, it's a very clear problem, but something that can all be summed up with how the cards are falling - Kouketsu's fighters have a massive amount of experience and skill, while the fighters (so far, and for the most part...) who have stood up for Wing City are less experienced, with mediocre skill.

It's going to be a learning time, we just need people to NOT bitch about stuff, and just be a steady and good example to those who may be observing their behavior. Kouketsu and I discussed setting up a static set of rules, but I believe we're going to let social reform take place, and allow this entire system to be self governing.

I seem to find that the attacking force has its own problems, and methods of play that just don't purport what we're trying to do, but these are all things that we will address with time.

All things aside, it'd be a safe bet to define the Roleplayer's Creed as the most important and definitive rule document in this war, just like the rest of the GWing site.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marten on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:34 am

6. If I, as a player, feel that my character has been treated unfairly or that another character has overstepped the bounds of their abilities, I will approach the other character's player privately and discuss the situation in a calm adult manner and try to come to a resolution or compromise.

I hope people will be adult when it comes down to it.

There were some ignored posts, as well. Posts that were clear deaths, in my eyes. But, we'll see how things work.

Marten
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Well to be fair Marten as far as I am aware all character related deaths must be agreed upon by the player. It's no fun when your character dies and you have no say in the matter.

As for the ignoring posts, all we can really do is hope that people just listen to concerns from other RPer's. Remember we're all there to have a good time. So we just have to be conciderate of others and acknowledge posts by other users disclosing their concerns.

Everyone I've RPed with in the chat seems pretty grown up about everything. They all seem to be pretty nice people who wouldn't do anything like that, but we're all aware of the Creed and I just hope everyone takes it to heart.

Gabriel Faile
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryand-Smith on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:01 pm

As a normal chat only player, I feel that this war is the perfect event to introduce ouselves into the Fourm, and I have several concerns. 1 what level of power are the parcipatents. Is it low level gods battling, or is it high level change the universal value of C level battlers?

2 Who is in charge? Are their generals? Should I look for some sort of Goverment? What should my orders be.

More later, but this seems like a great Idea. keep i up.

Ryand-Smith
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zhelir Darkfall on Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:22 pm

So, here's my big problem: As was illustrated by Darq's disasterous attempt, no one on the attacking side seems willing to fight in a speed match, effectively eliminating me from doing anything but RPing in the background.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against using lots of description and detail -- as an aspiring writer, I encourage it in most instances -- but, personally, I save it for forums. In the chat, I prefer interaction to description.
STAVE: Commala-come-ki,
There's a time to live and one to die.
With your back against the final wall
Ya gotta let the bullets fly.

RESPONSE: Commala-come-ki!
Let the bullets fly!
Don't 'ee mourn for me, my lads
When it comes my day to die.

Zhelir Darkfall
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Moonwolf on Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:05 am

Many of the defenders on our side are NOT well trained, save for Gabriel, SSJ,Lantis, Marten, and the others are were busy with evacuation that they couldn't fight.

And then there are the threats of DragonSoldier, Kuchiki_Byakuya, and many more other famed opponents on the attacking side.

Maybe we could get the strong and the weak defenders to switch places to an effective defense system? O_O

Moonwolf
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marten on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:45 am

It would be best to form cohesive units, each specializing in their own form of warfare. A squad for reconnaissance, a squad for blitzkreig attacks, a squad for assaults and a special squad designed to guard the more important members of GWing's "hierarchy".

Marten
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:12 pm

I don't mind controlling NPC guards if necessary so that Wing City doesn't look entirely defenseless on its own. Sinful (demonic form) is a chaotic neutral for now against most fighters of Wing City since we share a common enemy now (Sinful feels he is the rightful ruler of Wing City, and these intruders have insulted him by even thinking they could control anything without his permission. Superiority complex? You bet.).

Someone above asked about the level of power. Most of us will adapt our levels of power to our opponents if we are significantly higher to make it more fair. For example, Sinful is capable of controlling some forms of energy (similar to Ki) and the elements of Ice, Fire, and Shadow to an extent. However he will go strictly hand to hand under the premise that we wants to feed on his opponent to become an even match. Get it?
ImageImage

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel Faile on Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:53 pm

To be fair Moonwolf, Gabriel is not involved in the Wing City instances. Gabriel is a Gundam only character. Grifter would be the name that you're looking for.

And as for Grifter, after my last little chat romp, he's no longer going to be on the resistance side. The speach almost convinced him.

As for Zehlir, Grifter would be delighted (after fully converted) to have his ass handed to him by you in a speed battle.

Gabriel Faile
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:29 am

For all on the side protecting wing city, Lacuna has some news you need to hear about. I'll try to be online tonight and tomorrow night, from 9pm until Midnight. I can't make any promises, but I'll try.

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:03 pm

You know, the Demon Trio should go in and help defend Wing City. Since these guys are invading Wing City with the intent of controlling it, and the Demon Trio's goal is to control the world, well their ignorance and arrogance at even thinking any plot of land would be deserving to them would be more than a good enough reason to fight against them. I've already role played Sinful in his Demonic form, and currently going to be at a Chaotic Neutral with Wing City until he eliminates every single one of these invaders. That way we have a small group of elites to step up with diverse powers and strength to match the enemies. Demon vs Demon, fight fire with fire.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:09 pm

Hrm, sounds like a plan. >=]

I'm still waiting to hear back from someone on the other side on everything we've touched, so far. Looks like they don't check the site much, though. I just spoke with DragonSoldier, he's going to point out the topic to Kouketsu tonight. Hopefully everything'll flow through.

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:38 pm

Zhelir, the demon trio? As in, Reaver, Reaper, and Reader?

miyumi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kouketsu on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:26 pm

Just a few things I'll go through here for clarification and whatnot, just to avoid some of the misconceptions there has been. And yeah, sorry about the long post in advance. x_x

First, although really not necessarily the most important thing, the attacking force has around three, maybe four demons. The rest of us, from the characters that I've been told my troops will be using, are just regular people, maybe some few with some certain strengths or minimal powers and whatnot. Just to avoid the OOC confusion there, although it's perfectly acceptable to have the misconceptions in character, people keep coming up and asking me OOC about my "demon army" and our "demon attack" when there really was no such thing. >_> Those characters were just chosen for the assault specifically because they've got those supernatural abilities and whatnot.

And on quite a similar note, I think we definitely need some toning down with the powers and whatnot, and that goes quite a bit towards those on my own side as well. My primary reasoning behind this at the moment being that I believe it's setting a bad precedent. People who join into this mid-war or mid-battle and see two DBZ-esque fighters blowing up the planet with energy beams, they're either going to be scared away, or think that's awesome and do it too. Also, I really want to highlight what Marten said about the drain on powers, and I'm really going to hammer this part in hard to those on my own side after seeing the first night's events. Lantis is an incredibly experienced RP'er that I can count on to do those things, and when the initial plan of attack was made, her character was really the only one who was going to exert any kind of powers to that degree. But there were some slight problems after this which brought about what happened, with the continued use of seemingly limitless wells of energy from some RP'ers on both sides. So let's try and work those kinks out, and at the same time set a good example for those who join this as it continues on. ^_^

Another thing involves posting length and whatnot. Although most of our troops are highly adaptable, there were some initial problems with post lengths and being ignored and whatnot. This is really where I'd see the forums coming in most effectively. The issue that some seem to have is with timeliness, but if we can somehow bridge that gap, we could have mutually running events of the war going on both chat and forums at the same time without compromises on length or other such things. We can, naturally, utilize the comparatively shorter styles in chat and, if the opportunity arises, take our time to be verbose on the forums.

Also, gradual shifts to war involvement from RP'ers connected to both sides would probably help this thing greatly. I know that there were initially some issues (And I believe there still may be some) on really both sides about characters connected to the destroyed Wing City that just essentially didn't want to get involved at all because of ongoing storylines. I think it would be best to neither forcefully shove said people, nor let them approach things as if an attack on Wing City was nonexistent. I understand the characters thus far that have ignored it simply because they have those apathetic styles of character, but there were others that simply paid absolutely no heed whatsoever to the destruction that took place, and acted as if everything was perfectly normal. I think a gradual inclusion of these people, maybe something to pique their interest or otherwise, would help us a great deal.

I mean, the reason the whole war concept was brought up to begin with was because it offered us one of the few opportunities out there to really get everyone actively involved. What I personally love so much about the concept is that it's so general and so broad, that (Unlike say, for instance, a tournament) it's something that everyone can be involved with whether they fight or heal or really anything else. There's a place for everyone, always things to do, always something interesting to consider or worry about. Most importantly, if we get this to where it should be, there will always be something to have fun with, and that's what we're all here for, right?

At this moment, we've got to strike while the iron is hot and take advantage of this. I mean, it's not every week that multiple RP'ing communities, including some rather well known ones, are connected through things like this. With the eyes of so much of the RP'ing world on the Grand Tournament and whatnot, this could easily be a good opportunity to get more involvement from those other communities and things of that nature. We've got an entire multiverse to work with here, people, let's use it.

Forge alliances! Expand horizons! Learn and teach! Meet new friends, too? Sure, why not.

Kouketsu
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SinfulSoul on Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:23 pm

Sure, that doesn't sound too unreasonable about the reducing of powers. I prefer it that way aswell, I think we all just assumed that it was going to be massive amounts of energy and powers being displayed because of the whole demon thing. I'm sure Master and Zhelir will agree with the whole reducing powers thing. I think we can manage to do hand to hand combat while in our demon forms.

Anyway, at the least I'll be fighting mostly hand to hand from now on except when in a purely role playing situation. If worse comes to worse, I'll just revert back to regular old Sinful Soul. I've already made the transition from his original story line to bring his involvement into the war.

One thing I don't quite agree with is taking back the attack on Wing City. Really to get us spurred into wanting to join this war, you're going to have to do something drastic. I think the attack was a great excuse to get a lot of our fighters away from their current quarrels and fling them into the heat of conflict.

In fact, I promote having other communities join in on the attack. Those who support us help fight against our common enemies, and those who despise us try and take us all on. Wing City is relatively new compared to all the other established RPing zones in other communities. I think it needs to be broken in a little. It's the perfect zone for an all out "World War" situation. If this thing can reach a massive scale, that'll truely pique the interest of a large RPing community. And it would not be that hard to knit together. Someone attacks Wing City, our allies join the effort in holding the attackers back. Our enemies gain their own allies, and the enemies of those allies join ourside. Eventually a war on massive scales erupts.

Rain made a safezone though, by the lake in his large dome. So those who choose remain as healers or civillians or otherwise non-combatants have the ability to go about their roles without fear of being continuously harrassed by would-be evil-doers. That way the fighting stays concentrated on other fighters, and the actual role playing aspect has a place for itself as well.

But I do agree that we have a really good chance at making something happen here. With the amount of effort Eric has been putting to build and maintain this site all for the love of our role playing community, I think we owe it to ourselves to get the ball rolling on this and make something great happen out of this war.

SinfulSoul
GWC Veteran
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:22 pm

Treize, Kouketsu, and Leon - all need to talk. Figure out what direction their characters and consequential forces will be taking?

It looks like W.I.N.G.E.D. just gained another bolstering addition of reinforcements, and Treize's attack has rocked the city.

Everything's going well, though. I'm glad people have jumped up to take the positions they have. :)

Remæus
Architect
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

RolePlayGateway is a site built by a couple roleplayers who wanted to give a little something back to the roleplay community. The site has no intention of earning any profit, and is paid for out of their own pockets.

If you appreciate what they do, feel free to donate your spare change to help feed them on the weekends. After selecting the amount you want to donate from the menu, you can continue by clicking on PayPal logo.