Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

War of the Worlds

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

War of the Worlds

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:25 am

Firstly, I thought that a War of the Worlds RP would be pretty interesting - after all, it is an interesting story. My problem was how to run the roleplay without it being simply a group effort at retelling the story. Anyway, I came up with an idea that I think could work.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of you will know the story, so there's no need to give details of that. However, I will explain a little bit about how I envisage such a roleplay 'going down.'

Akin to the (fairly) recent movie adaptation of the book, I figure that putting the roleplay into a modern setting would probably work the best. Now, rather than people taking the role of those 'pivotal' to the plot, or who have any 'real' influence, perhaps it would be interesting for each player to roleplay an ordinary, everyday person. How do these people deal with such events? What drives them to survive? Can they survive? What happens after the Martians have been killed? Do families fall apart, get drawn together, or something else entirely?

That sort of thing should be the focus of the roleplay, I think. In terms of the canon plot, I will be Game Mastering the key events; most likely in the form of newspaper articles and TV news reports. That way, the course of events can be held true, but we simply react to them.

The setting will be in England (to stay true to the original), and characters will be ordinary people. No uber military people, or government officials etc. Like I said earlier, normal people like you and I.

So yeah, given where this thread is... Are you, or not?
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Re: War of the Worlds

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Saladin,

I'm definitely interested in this sort of character-driven plot. When you have an official OOC and/or character sheets, let me know, and I'll add a character to the mix. (I'll be back Wednesday, so either get it up today, or you won't see a post from me til then.)

~ Ylanne
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Frezak on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:26 am

I have to say I like the idea of playing secondary/unimportant characters.
So, in answer to your question: Yes.
If you see this, expect total paralysis of the thread within a month. No kidding.

Frezak
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LittleSun1 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:47 am

I would be very interested! The movie was pretty good, even if the book absolutely bored me to tears (I had to read it in LA a couple years ago.). Nothing to do with the story I guess, I just hate the 'Old Speak' style of writing.

But anyway, I've actually got character ideas already! Would it be possible for me to play a Father-Son/Mother-Young Child type combo? The child would probably be 12 to 2 years old incase that matters.

Great idea!
~Liden
Because I'm Broken When I'm Lonesome
And I Don't Feel Right When You're Gone Away
~>xx<~
LITTLESUN1

LittleSun1
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeartClutch on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:48 am

I would totally be interested in this. Love the book and movie. And character-driven RPs. =P

HeartClutch
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:32 pm

A Saladin RP? Oh hell yea. Count me in.

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Aye, aye, Saladin making an RP? I'm thrilled.

War of the Worlds, Modern Warfare edition?

In all honestly, if the aliens fall to the common cold, imagine what biological agents of today would do to them. And don't tell me about them not having the same infection vectors as human life.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Empathy on Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:03 am

Well, it seems that if I'm going to start roleplaying here in my new home, I might as well start with something like this. Count one Empathy into the mix, if you please.

Empathy
Member for 14 years
Author Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!